Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Closed Thread
Old 07-26-2007, 08:09 AM   #1  
Insane Embellisher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Isn't any of this going to be kept on the demo side?

In many cases, customers are going to be getting *news* here first instead of from their own demos! Not an issue for me, but I would think for some it might be.
And some of the announcements about the business end of things aren't even appropriate for customers.

Just MHO.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Stazon Splitcoast

I was kinda wondering, too. Convention is supposed to be a demo-only perk. Allowing customers to see all of the hoopla is unfair to those of us who paid to be here.

Don't flame me! Just my opinion!
Matboard Maniac

I signed up in January this year, but I remember last summer checking this site on the non-demo side and all the Convention information was available there. I think is was a week maybe after the second session that the threads were taken down from the other side.
Stazon Splitcoast

I agree, although it's not the same hearing it here as it is first-hand. Yes, it will get out to others, even if it is not shared here, but that doesn't mean it should all be readily available on SCS. Just because many teens drink doesn't mean we should just give them the alcohol...

But, I'm pretty sure that it'll continue to be open access on SCS since this debate comes up every year ...
Stampin' Fool

I, too, would think that info straight from Convention would be a demo-only type of thing--one of the many perks of being a demo!
Rubber Obsessor

I was a short-term hobby demo several years ago and am now a just a customer - a very supportive customer. I am truly appreciative that Convention information is shared for all to see. I am just as involved in SU! as demos are, it's just that I don't have the time or the inclination to be a demo. And, unfortunately, lots of demos don't share new information with their customers in a timely manner. So, please, please, please...keep sharing all the exciting news from Denver!! And my thanks to everyone who is sharing! I hope you all enjoy hearing about the fun in Denver!
Rubber Obsessor

Heck, I thought this was still the demo side. Shows what I know. Seems like this kind of info would be shared demo to demo, but the world won't stop if non demos see it too, I guess.

Maybe some of the non demos will sign up so they can go next year! I'm available as an upline, should any of you be so inclined, lol.
Matboard Maniac

My MIL is a demo and that's the only reason I haven't signed up. She already sells to almost everyone I would sell to and I don't want to snag her customers from her. I love hearing about convention and if she ever decides to quit or if I felt like I could do it without taking customers from her, I would sign up to demo. Anyway, I like hearing about all the perks, I can use them to convince my DH I need to sign up so I don't miss out!
Hardware Hotshot

As a very recent former demo, I absolutely love that we can have tiny snippets of what's going on. Having been to Convention last year, I can tell you that sitting here reading about it from my house doesn't even come close to the excitement I felt BEING at Convention. So I hope those of you who are demos don't feel jipped like we're getting the same experience--it's not!

Being able to hear and see all the exciting Convention news just fuels my interest and desire to become a demo again when it's feasible and be able to be at Convention next year. I actually think it's GREAT advertising for non-demos to see all the hoopla and want to become part of it all. JMO

Again, hope all of you at Convention have the time of your lives--it's an amazing experience!!!
Watercolor Wizard

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Demo/non-demo

Sneetches on Beaches

Crimping Master

I think these threads should be demo only, I love sharing all the new news with my customers.... I am not sure why this forum wouldn't be for demo's only like the other demo only forums as this pertains directly to our business and not to the art of making cards. I am frankly a little dissappointed in splitcoast for not keeping this on the demo side only.

Hmmmmmmm Tami
Pearl-ExPert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by stampinmagicView Post
I was a short-term hobby demo several years ago and am now a just a customer - a very supportive customer. I am truly appreciative that Convention information is shared for all to see. I am just as involved in SU! as demos are, it's just that I don't have the time or the inclination to be a demo. And, unfortunately, lots of demos don't share new information with their customers in a timely manner. So, please, please, please...keep sharing all the exciting news from Denver!! And my thanks to everyone who is sharing! I hope you all enjoy hearing about the fun in Denver!
Agreed...and it might entice more people to sign up! I haven't seen anything that should be some major secret...it can only help because it builds hype and excitement. Besides, splitcoast isn't an SU only site...just my 2 cents!

Southern Yankee Crafter Blog
Gabfest Goddess

The moderators have stated previously (like last year) that the Convention information has been for everybody to see, but I don't remember really seeing and hearing about Convention stuff when I was just a customer unless a demo specifically posted to the non-demo threads. Same with the photos - they usually weren't things I could see unless somebody posted it only to their personal member gallery. It wasn't until I actually signed up and got permission for the demo only SUB gallery that I saw all the display boards and such. The information used to come only in little snippets from demos but never from the Convention only threads like they've had these past two Conventions.
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by StampinMelisView Post
I was kinda wondering, too. Convention is supposed to be a demo-only perk. Allowing customers to see all of the hoopla is unfair to those of us who paid to be here.

Don't flame me! Just my opinion!
Again, I post... by this logic, I and all the other demos who are not attending convention should not have access to any posted information either, right?

The information is going to get out. Period. We (demos) have seen it over and over when not-yet-publicly released information is posted in the General forums well before even some demos have it. For me, the bottom line is that you (collective you) just can't please everybody regardless of the decisions you make.
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by Christine PView Post
Again, I post... by this logic, I and all the other demos who are not attending convention should not have access to any posted information either, right?

The information is going to get out. Period. We (demos) have seen it over and over when not-yet-publicly released information is posted in the General forums well before even some demos have it. For me, the bottom line is that you (collective you) just can't please everybody regardless of the decisions you make.
I don't know if that is a logical argument, It just makes sense that information from a demo only convention should come thru demo only forums, just my opinion. This is the first time I have been home prior to convention to read the info about convention, so I am surprised to see it posted for more than just the demo's.

Just like the new catalog stuff, It makes it to General Stamping talk, but starts out in the demo forum, It just doesn't seem consistant.

Tami
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by Christine PView Post
I never said don't share it at all! Please don't misunderstand. But there are perks to being a demo, and convention is one of them. It's not about "keeping a secret," it's about honoring that demoship has its privileges, and getting convention info, especially pics, should be (IMHO) for demos only.
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by mommyandmaddy1View Post
Maybe some of the non demos will sign up so they can go next year! I'm available as an upline, should any of you be so inclined, lol.
LOL... me too! But I guess most of us demos would love to help you all out should you decide you cannot live without convention one more year!

It really is an awesome experience... Can't wait for 2nd session!!!

I do think there should at least be one area for convention in the demo-only side for things that we might want to announce to our customers ourselves or business stuff that customers don't need to hear... but I don't know how they could keep it from leaking...
Die Cut Diva

I really dont understand why anybody thinks what is being shared should be kept secret.......pictures of the demo, pictures of pajamas, reports on hotels and freebies.
I will be signing up as a demo in the next few days, but only so I get the discount. I also have relatives that live in UT, so next year I will be going to Convention just to get all the news. I guess that's not necessary information, but just so you know where I'm coming from.

I just havent seen anyone "spilling" anything that seems top secret...and if they did I personally wouldnt care. It's not like the information is damaging to the company or to your business.

And I would bet that the majority of people reading these threads ARE demos or past or future demos.

JMO....no intention of offending anyone...just thought Id throw in my 2 cents.
Mad Swapper

Personally having been a demo and now being a non demo, I love that Splitcoast gives me a peak into what is going on just like they did when they went to CHA, it lets me feel like I am there.....and another reason why I love this place....BECAUSE WE SHARE!!!

Go as far as you can see, and when you get there, you will see farther.
ScrappinGallery
Mad Swapper

should be demos only.
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I was a demo and boy was I angry last year when SCS posted this forum. I felt like certain demos really used it to promote their own businesses, it was info that really should have been on the demo side. In fact, I had an exchange with a demo last summer who pretty much admitted to me that she was using this convention forum as a way of getting her name out to the SCS crowd. She felt justified because any demo at the convention could do it and SCS was sanctioning it. I complained to SCS but it was explained to me that they had debated it and did not plan on making any changes.

Now that I am not a demo, I feel the same way. Some demos are my friends, and I think it is kind of crummy to take away the fun of keeping it to themselves, KWIM? Maybe I'm a little juvenile but that's how I felt and feel.
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScrappinGoodTimeView Post
Personally having been a demo and now being a non demo, I love that Splitcoast gives me a peak into what is going on just like they did when they went to CHA, it lets me feel like I am there.....and another reason why I love this place....BECAUSE WE SHARE!!!
what she said :mrgreen:
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joan BView Post
I was a demo and boy was I angry last year when SCS posted this forum. I felt like certain demos really used it to promote their own businesses, it was info that really should have been on the demo side. In fact, I had an exchange with a demo last summer who pretty much admitted to me that she was using this convention forum as a way of getting her name out to the SCS crowd. She felt justified because any demo at the convention could do it and SCS was sanctioning it. I complained to SCS but it was explained to me that they had debated it and did not plan on making any changes.

Now that I am not a demo, I feel the same way. Some demos are my friends, and I think it is kind of crummy to take away the fun of keeping it to themselves, KWIM? Maybe I'm a little juvenile but that's how I felt and feel.

I just noticed that your signature promotes your blog with "the best CHA report".....is it not the same thing whats being done here then you reporting on CHA?
Mad Swapper

It's too bad the 'DEMO TALK' isn't on the demo side and "CONVENTION TALK" to all SCS. That way convention talk could be enticement for others to join SU. Demos could then share specific business info with other SU demos.

Just my 2 cents.
Crimping Master

All of us have free access to SCS, general forums etc. and the demo's have free access to to the demo side. Now if we want to have something a little extra we can become a member for a small fee and have access to some "perks", diry dozen gallery etc. I feel convention is a "perk" of being a demo, whether you attend convention or not. Because a demo who can't attend convention is still kept up to date on her demo website.

Do ideas from the dirty dozen get out, yes, they do, but those who pay get the ideas first hand.

Tami
Stazon Splitcoast

Daven and Jenn have repeatedly said (as this complaint is made *every single year*) that convention "stuff" will remain open to everyone on the boards, not just demos.
Sassy Shani

Anything for an arguement is my 2cents. :rolleyes:
Sassy Shani

Well said! :mrgreen:
Quote:

Originally Posted by sassyat30View Post
Daven and Jenn have repeatedly said (as this complaint is made *every single year*) that convention "stuff" will remain open to everyone on the boards, not just demos.
Compulsive Stamper

I am not a demostrator and new to stampin up. What most of the threads that I have been reading are either stampers like me or demos who could not go to convention and are interested in the momento mall items that you can get. I still wait to hear any other items from my demonstrator. I would like if stampin up would offer through the demonstrators or through there website the chance to purchase stampin up logo products. I have gotten some things through my demo that way. But if they let you do it as part of your sales or to count for something I am sure you would have other people interested too. Without demonstrators I as someone who loves to stamp would be lost. I do not have a creative idea in my head but love the ideas that my demonstrators come up with and how you demonstrators keep coming up with new ideas all the time. Thank you being as creative as you are. Convention sounds like such a fun thing and would be over over whelming to me with all the creative brains there. Thanks for what you do and the time you spend to help us non creative people. Thank you
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by ebethneuView Post
I just noticed that your signature promotes your blog with "the best CHA report".....is it not the same thing whats being done here then you reporting on CHA?

Obviously there is no way of knowing if you haven't read Joan's blog... but if you had, you would know there is a tongue firmly in a cheek with that statement, so it's really not the same thing. ;)
Mad Swapper

As a veteran demonstrator of 5 years, I have my own way of looking at this. Yes, I wish I were at convention BUT I am not nor have I ever been (vacation and summer plans conflict). As a business woman, I would rather this info be viewed for all to read (demo's and non-demo's alike) because what better marketing is there for SU than for every stamper to read about the exciting activities at convention? One could argue that it's a demo's job to filter this to customers but I would suggest that it is a benefit to SU overall to have customers reading what those of us who are not attending read about too. In other words, letting us all press our noses against the glass cannot hurt but it can help! Convention builds excitement for demos whether they attend or not. Don't ya think that customers seeing these threads might get excited too and either be happier customers or even future recruits?

Hey, this is the way my business head works. Free advertising of how fun it is to be a demonstrator for Stampin' Up!

www.StellarStamps.com

Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by DLS881View Post
Demo/non-demo

Sneetches on Beaches

Yep!

I don't think it makes any difference. There are so many blogs out there now, you can find any info you want - lots of demos share everything they know as soon as they know it is official. If it shows up here on SCS, it's already "out there" somewhere else anyway.
Crimping Master

I agree with Star Stamper. I think it's great that my downline AND my customers can read all the Convention threads and get caught up in the excitement. That's what Stampin' Up! is all about -- sharing what we love....
Matboard Maniac

You know, maybe if SU! would put some current exciting convention info on our demo site we wouldn't all be over here at SCS starving for information and pix. I keep looking at the SU! website thinking "where is the convention hoopla" and all I see is the same screen from earlier this week about "...coming soon....session 1 online check in..." Aren't we beyond that at this point? Seems like some pix or some crumbs of info should be posted there. After all, it is our biggest event of the year! If it weren't for SCS I wouldn't have a clue what is going on......that doesn't seem right, does it?
Polyshrink Goddess

You'll see plenty on the Stampin' Up! website- After 2nd session gets underway! As a second session attendee I would be upset if SU! put all the info up during 1st session. All of us who attend convention put out big bucks to get there- and we have "purchased" all this information, not that we are paying all of the expense because SU! does cover much of the expense to put on convention.

I think that those individuals that aren't attending convention can sit tight for a week and wait your turn, and get the info then!

Check my blog :http://www.ddstamps.com
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by KayInFLView Post
Obviously there is no way of knowing if you haven't read Joan's blog... but if you had, you would know there is a tongue firmly in a cheek with that statement, so it's really not the same thing. ;)
Right on... and Joan has nothing to sell. She blogs for the LOVE of stamping/sharing only.

I like to think that convention leaks will only help non-demos want to BE demos... but I understand both sides... I think Joan has a very interesting and smart take on the self promo angle... I can see this being a thought in the minds of some demos... but not all. Hopefully most are sharing for the fun of it alone.

Last edited by staramaze; 07-26-2007 at 02:44 PM.. Reason: adding to comments
Insane Embellisher

Having been a SU demo and dropped my demo-ship last year, I still hate seeing the "us" versus "them" or the "demo" vs "non-demo" argument rear it's ugly head. It's sad. Honestly, I get the impression with these arguements, that some people think that if you're not a demo, you're somehow not worthy of hearing about what's going on...BUT...We're all stampers, love SU products and all want to know what's coming up. It's not like anyone is going to lose sales...it can only add to OUR excitement and maybe entice us to buy more! That's how I look at it anyway.

Last edited by bluehenstamper; 07-26-2007 at 02:32 PM.. Reason: spelling error
Stazon Splitcoast

Hi, everyone! Would you like some background info about splitcoast and convention news? If not, don't read my post.

Splitcoast started in fall of 2003, after convention was held, so there was no hoopla goin' on about that. There really wasn't much here in the way of activity back then! I think the demo group was maybe 150-200 demos, if that. . .

That first convention in 2004, we had splitcoast members who were at convention calling "home" and sharing what was in the catalog as far as new accessories and describing stamp sets, and letting us know what accessories were retired. Back then, demos who attended convention got the first new catalogs, and those of us at home depended on calls from uplines and friends if we wanted fresh new information or wanted to place orders for accessories (remember, SU! only recently started publishing a retired accessories list).

I read the forums and had a list of questions from member, and when I'd get a call from one of the ladies who'd volunteered to share information from Convention, I'd ask and they'd give answers. I took tons of notes and shared everything I heard here on the General Stamping forums. If you want to see some of those threads, click here or here to get started.

There was a HUGE, positive response to the information threads that were posted here. In fact, the servers kept freaking out because so many people were coming to see what was going on and see what information was out about the new catalog! Know what? We never heard complaints about the sharing of information.

2005 was the first convention I ever went to. It was also the first year that SU! shipped catalogs out *before* convention so that demos would all get to see them at about the same time. Convention goers did get to preview the mini catalog, and that was cool!

Knowing that splitcoast was *the* place to be for information, Daven created a special forum (just like this one, but labeled 2005) for convention updates from demos, and we even had front page updates. I know that we were uploading to the galleries from Convention while we were in SLC and know that Michelle Laycock posted updates as the general sessions ended. I don't remember hearing complaints about that, either.

It was only last year that this way of doing things was questioned. If I remember right, information was posted that was sensitive, and many demos were up in arms that the entire forum was open to anyone who wanted to read it.

After much consideration, it was decided that splitcoast would still have an area for convention updates as is so long as people were interested. We did decide to post announcements at the top of these forums and the demo forums stating that this forum is open to all members. In an attempt to keep demos happy, we created a sub-category in the SUB for business tips shown at Convention. As of right now, there's nothing uploaded.

Anyone who's a splitcoast member can access and post to these forums. Demonstrators can post here or choose to post to the demo forum. Anyone can upload pics to the regular gallery, or demos can choose to upload to the gallery we've created in the SUB.

That said, if you're a demonstrator and feel that certain threads should be moved to the demo forums, or gallery images should be in the SUB, please notify a moderator and we'll check it out.

Hope that helps some! Let me know if you have any questions!
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbalcerView Post
Hi, everyone! Would you like some background info about splitcoast and convention news? If not, don't read my post.

Splitcoast started in fall of 2003, after convention was held, so there was no hoopla goin' on about that. There really wasn't much here in the way of activity back then! I think the demo group was maybe 150-200 demos, if that. . .

That first convention in 2004, we had splitcoast members who were at convention calling "home" and sharing what was in the catalog as far as new accessories and describing stamp sets, and letting us know what accessories were retired. Back then, demos who attended convention got the first new catalogs, and those of us at home depended on calls from uplines and friends if we wanted fresh new information or wanted to place orders for accessories (remember, SU! only recently started publishing a retired accessories list).

I read the forums and had a list of questions from member, and when I'd get a call from one of the ladies who'd volunteered to share information from Convention, I'd ask and they'd give answers. I took tons of notes and shared everything I heard here on the General Stamping forums. If you want to see some of those threads, click here or here to get started.

There was a HUGE, positive response to the information threads that were posted here. In fact, the servers kept freaking out because so many people were coming to see what was going on and see what information was out about the new catalog! Know what? We never heard complaints about the sharing of information.

2005 was the first convention I ever went to. It was also the first year that SU! shipped catalogs out *before* convention so that demos would all get to see them at about the same time. Convention goers did get to preview the mini catalog, and that was cool!

Knowing that splitcoast was *the* place to be for information, Daven created a special forum (just like this one, but labeled 2005) for convention updates from demos, and we even had front page updates. I know that we were uploading to the galleries from Convention while we were in SLC and know that Michelle Laycock posted updates as the general sessions ended. I don't remember hearing complaints about that, either.

It was only last year that this way of doing things was questioned. If I remember right, information was posted that was sensitive, and many demos were up in arms that the entire forum was open to anyone who wanted to read it.

After much consideration, it was decided that splitcoast would still have an area for convention updates as is so long as people were interested. We did decide to post announcements at the top of these forums and the demo forums stating that this forum is open to all members. In an attempt to keep demos happy, we created a sub-category in the SUB for business tips shown at Convention. As of right now, there's nothing uploaded.

Anyone who's a splitcoast member can access and post to these forums. Demonstrators can post here or choose to post to the demo forum. Anyone can upload pics to the regular gallery, or demos can choose to upload to the gallery we've created in the SUB.

That said, if you're a demonstrator and feel that certain threads should be moved to the demo forums, or gallery images should be in the SUB, please notify a moderator and we'll check it out.

Hope that helps some! Let me know if you have any questions!

Thanks, Jenn. ;)
Hardware Hotshot

Yay Jenn! And *love* the card

BLINGO