Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Closed Thread
Old 07-26-2007, 04:37 PM   #41  
Matboard Maniac

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I still recall in past years that SU! put up pix of us checking in, sitting in big groups on the floor looking at all our convention goodies, demos with crazy swapping outfits--that's what I meant when I said I was hoping for some "convention hoopla" on our SU! demo website. But there is nothing at all for us to see.
I certainly don't expect them to post the big woo-hoo announcements...that is most definitely something that lucky convention goers this year should be first in line to hear. That's what makes convention so great. And you can't recreate the level of excitement no matter what. It's just so intense.
But having said that, since I could not go this year I would love SU! to have some pix of the scenes and the fun and the people as they arrive at this big event. There's lots of it here on SCS, and I am enjoying it (and feeling jealous too). But there isn't a single reference to all the fun going on right now on our SU! demo website. Just seems like there should be some bling over on our official website, you know?
Thank goodness for this site and all the wonderful people who are sharing the fun as we speak. It's so appreciated.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Stazon Splitcoast

There usually is. I read where they were going to have some of the attending demos be "reporters" for them, and they would be posting those up soon. Sure hope it includes pictures!
Hardware Hotshot

Smile

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbalcerView Post
Hi, everyone! Would you like some background info about splitcoast and convention news? If not, don't read my post.

Splitcoast started in fall of 2003, after convention was held, so there was no hoopla goin' on about that. There really wasn't much here in the way of activity back then! I think the demo group was maybe 150-200 demos, if that. . .

That first convention in 2004, we had splitcoast members who were at convention calling "home" and sharing what was in the catalog as far as new accessories and describing stamp sets, and letting us know what accessories were retired. Back then, demos who attended convention got the first new catalogs, and those of us at home depended on calls from uplines and friends if we wanted fresh new information or wanted to place orders for accessories (remember, SU! only recently started publishing a retired accessories list).

I read the forums and had a list of questions from member, and when I'd get a call from one of the ladies who'd volunteered to share information from Convention, I'd ask and they'd give answers. I took tons of notes and shared everything I heard here on the General Stamping forums. If you want to see some of those threads, click here or here to get started.

There was a HUGE, positive response to the information threads that were posted here. In fact, the servers kept freaking out because so many people were coming to see what was going on and see what information was out about the new catalog! Know what? We never heard complaints about the sharing of information.

2005 was the first convention I ever went to. It was also the first year that SU! shipped catalogs out *before* convention so that demos would all get to see them at about the same time. Convention goers did get to preview the mini catalog, and that was cool!

Knowing that splitcoast was *the* place to be for information, Daven created a special forum (just like this one, but labeled 2005) for convention updates from demos, and we even had front page updates. I know that we were uploading to the galleries from Convention while we were in SLC and know that Michelle Laycock posted updates as the general sessions ended. I don't remember hearing complaints about that, either.

It was only last year that this way of doing things was questioned. If I remember right, information was posted that was sensitive, and many demos were up in arms that the entire forum was open to anyone who wanted to read it.

After much consideration, it was decided that splitcoast would still have an area for convention updates as is so long as people were interested. We did decide to post announcements at the top of these forums and the demo forums stating that this forum is open to all members. In an attempt to keep demos happy, we created a sub-category in the SUB for business tips shown at Convention. As of right now, there's nothing uploaded.

Anyone who's a splitcoast member can access and post to these forums. Demonstrators can post here or choose to post to the demo forum. Anyone can upload pics to the regular gallery, or demos can choose to upload to the gallery we've created in the SUB.

That said, if you're a demonstrator and feel that certain threads should be moved to the demo forums, or gallery images should be in the SUB, please notify a moderator and we'll check it out.

Hope that helps some! Let me know if you have any questions!
Hey cute girl!!!

Thanks a ton for your post with the background on this whole thing. It helps to put things in perspective, huh?

Wish we were at Convention and I could see your darlin' smilin' face again! I'd share more designer paper with ya, too! ;)
Insane Embellisher

Jen - Thanksso much for the background, and I'm truly sorry if this post ended up opening a can of worms.
Kookie Creator

I haven't read any major business secrets on here. What's the big deal when others are just talking? My two cents - get over yourself.

My pitiful blog: www.sherastamps.blogspot.com

Last edited by speddirector; 07-26-2007 at 06:57 PM.. Reason: word change
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by bluehenstamperView Post
Having been a SU demo and dropped my demo-ship last year, I still hate seeing the "us" versus "them" or the "demo" vs "non-demo" argument rear it's ugly head. It's sad. Honestly, I get the impression with these arguements, that some people think that if you're not a demo, you're somehow not worthy of hearing about what's going on...BUT...We're all stampers, love SU products and all want to know what's coming up. It's not like anyone is going to lose sales...it can only add to OUR excitement and maybe entice us to buy more! That's how I look at it anyway.

Amen! I could not have said it better myself!! ;)

My motto for life: "Less is More"
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by speddirectorView Post
I haven't read any major business secrets on here. What's the big deal when others are just talking? My two cents - get over yourself.

Wow.

The BIG DEAL is that convention is for DEMOS and the information should be exclusive to DEMOS. If you want to know all about convention, fork over your money and sign up as a demo.
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Having been a SU demo and dropped my demo-ship last year, I still hate seeing the "us" versus "them" or the "demo" vs "non-demo" argument rear it's ugly head. It's sad. Honestly, I get the impression with these arguements, that some people think that if you're not a demo, you're somehow not worthy of hearing about what's going on...BUT...We're all stampers, love SU products and all want to know what's coming up. It's not like anyone is going to lose sales...it can only add to OUR excitement and maybe entice us to buy more! That's how I look at it anyway.

Using this logic, convention should be open to all stampers who love SU products. That's not the case. You have to be a demo.

As for SCS allowing the postings so that it adds to the excitement and perhaps entice customers to by more, that's not what this community is for. The demos should be allowed to create the excitement with their own customers.
Stazon Splitcoast

yikes! it's startin' to get ugly in here!

long story short...daven and crew have decided this is the way it will be...whether or not people like it is irrelevant!
Die Cut Diva

Kookie Creator

again, i don't see the big deal since there are no big secrets in here. If there were I would understand. But I am thinking about becoming a demo and checking things out so I don't see a problem.

My pitiful blog: www.sherastamps.blogspot.com
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by ddphelpsView Post
yikes! it's startin' to get ugly in here!

long story short...daven and crew have decided this is the way it will be...whether or not people like it is irrelevant!
Yes, you are correct, it is their perogative to decide what to do, there are just some of us who perhaps feel otherwise.

To me it is abit inconsistant, because there is a demo forum set up and I assumed this forum would be an extension of that.

Tami
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by myhappyplaceView Post

Oh my WORD that is the funniest smiley EVER!!!!! I second that....
Mad Swapper

Well said!

Quote:

Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by speddirectorView Post
again, i don't see the big deal since there are no big secrets in here. If there were I would understand. But I am thinking about becoming a demo and checking things out so I don't see a problem.
Just an FYI, telling people to get over themselves is not a good way to start. I can see both sides, some people like to share with their customers in their own time.

Nothing like saying, ladies, I have news about the sets in the new mini...and someone says, yeah, we know, they're die cut LOL

But I know all the non demos are excited to see what's coming. Like I said, I can see both sides.

And so for once, I'll stay out of the debate and just sit back, eat my popcorn and enjoy the show :mrgreen: ;)

Safe trip to everyone going to convention!
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The decision was made by the owner of this site that SU! Convention Reports would be open site-wide, as they have always been since this site first launched.

Until or unless he himself reverses that decision, that is SCS's stance.

Splitcoaststampers is neither an extension of Stampin' Up!, an affiliate or partner. It is an entirely separate entity, and not subject to *any* policies SU! sets forth, with the exception, of course, of abiding by that which is legal, etc.

Exclusive/private SU! demonstrator forums here on SCS are provided as a courtesy to demonstrators.

Demonstrators have the freedom to post any information they choose as long it abides by the Splitcoast Terms of Service.

This thread will be closed.