Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 08-19-2007, 07:39 AM   #41  
Kookie Creator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This has reminded me to check my stock to let you know what cos. make Jewish themed or appropriate biblical quotestamps that I have: sugarloaf,ducks in a row, sonlight,printworks(which shows lots of new ones in the "new" section on ATRS),serendipity,stampendous,the rubber cafe,rubber soul,denami design,anita's,stamp francisco,hampton art stamps, the stamp pad co. and listed above ruth's and zumgaligali.

This also reminds of 2 other things: how disappointed I am in th SU mini. Virtually everthing is Christmas. There are a couple tag stamps I love but would have to buy an expensive Christmas set to get them. Even in the big catty almost every tag set includes holiday stamps I would not use. How about a tag set without religous stamps.

And sometimes it seems rubber stamps are part stamping and part collecting!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-19-2007, 07:48 AM   #42  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Perfect timing.

Here's my question --

I'm going to a Bat Mitzvah in late September. This family is fairly conservative.

Couple of questions:

1. what is the appropriate greeting for the card. I have a Congratulations on your Bat Mitzvah stamp but not sure it is the best greeting. I would like to print out something hebrew for the inside of the card for sure.

2. While I'm at it, what is an appropriate gift? I read some where that if you are giving cash, it is good to do it in mulitples of 18 as that is the symbol for life? Is that correct?

thanks~!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-19-2007, 08:21 AM   #43  
Kookie Creator

yes, the Hebrew letter "chai" is 18 and means life and multiples of are used a lot. Gifts......cah and gift cards are popular. Since before the era of gift cards, I have used travel sets (cosmetic or shaving). Depending on how much I want to spend, I might include cologne or a gift card to Ulta,etc.

If you know the parents well, ask them what their child wants. Even if it cost mosre than you want to spend, you can give them a gift card toward the item from an appropriate store.

And I think we are all trying to teach our children that it is "presence" not "presents" that is important.

An appropriate greeting is "mazel tov" which means congratulations.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-19-2007, 08:22 AM   #44  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 188 Likes on 90 Posts

I have never heard the multiples of 18 before, but money is definitely the appropriate gift for a bar or bat mitzvah.
Generally, instead of saying "congratulations", we say "mazel tov". It pretty much means the same thing. The translation of tov is good. I'm not sure about mazel. We say it for weddings, bar mitzvahs, new babies, etc.
Of course, reaching bar or bat mitzvah age, basically means that the child has reached the age of being considered a man or woman in the eyess of the religion. When a prayer session is to be held, a minion is needed. This consists of a certain number of men. (I think it's 12.) (Women are not deemed particularly important in this respect.) Anyway, a boy has had his bar mitzvah can now be considered part of the minion.
One more little bit of info: a mitzvah is a good deed. For example, giving to charity is a mitzvah.
So, I think mazel tov will suffice on the inside.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-19-2007, 08:23 AM   #45  
Watercolor Wizard

Oops. I think purple elf lady and I were posting at the same time.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-19-2007, 09:33 AM   #46  
Stampin' Fool

Default what colors?

A couple other questions regarding color -
1) Are there traditional color choices associated with each holiday? For example, for Hanukkah I often see silver and blue. Are there others?
2) Is color part of the tradition, or is color less relevant than the symbol. Basically I'm asking is is Ok to do "non-traditional", or a Hannukah card in pink and green (just to throw a random color selection out there)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-19-2007, 10:07 AM   #47  
Polyshrink Goddess

Default Rosh Hashana

I just posted a card to my gallery. It is for the New Year. Traditional fruit is apple and honey. I saw some pomegranates used by Jewish artists and loved the Bibilical references so I bought a pomegranate stamp. No company name. The Hebrew says L'Shana Tovah--Happy New Year. Have a sweet and productive year.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-19-2007, 10:09 AM   #48  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by mnhyrkasView Post
A couple other questions regarding color -
1) Are there traditional color choices associated with each holiday? For example, for Hanukkah I often see silver and blue. Are there others?
2) Is color part of the tradition, or is color less relevant than the symbol. Basically I'm asking is is Ok to do "non-traditional", or a Hannukah card in pink and green (just to throw a random color selection out there)
Hanukah cards can be very colorful. The traditional candles were orange when I grew up. Now lots of folks use blue and white. I use mixed colors. It is a happy time. You can never go wrong with blue and silver.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-19-2007, 01:48 PM   #49  
Polyshrink Goddess

Sorry. I forgot about not uploading on Sunday. Was anxious for you to see this card on this special thread. If you want to see it and can't, go to my blog. http://blog.360.yahoo.com/msdublin.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-19-2007, 04:15 PM   #50  
Pearl-ExPert

Send a message via Skype™ to StampinLeslie

To answer Joan's questions:

1) I would agree that "mazel tov" is the appropriate greeting for the card. If you need a mazel tov stamp, let me know, and I'd be happy to send one to you for you to borrow.

2) If we (meaning me and DH, not Jews in general!) give money as a gift, we always give in multiples of 18. It's in no way mandatory, or inappropriate if you don't, but if you do, it will show that you've given some thought to the symbolism behind it.

mnhyrkas -- I have two bat mitzvah cards in my gallery. I used "girlie" colors in them, as opposed to any sort of "traditional Jewish" colors, which for some reason people seem to think are blue and white. I guess that comes from the fact that the Israeli flag is blue and white? I do love using blue and silver for Hanukkah cards, though -- I think the colors look so pretty together! I think I have a Hanukkah card with those colors in my gallery, too.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-19-2007, 05:17 PM   #51  
Forum Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks to s_anthony for the OP and to Yapha for the bump! What a great, informative thread. Thanks again!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-20-2007, 09:01 AM   #52  
Die Cut Diva

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

WOW! This is a neat thread! Would you believe that I have only worked with one Jewish person ever? That was in Grand Forks, ND. She was so excited when I started working there because my last name was Sandberg. She thought for sure I was also Jewish. (Nope.) This thread reminds me of watching the History Channel or Discover (maybe even the Food Network Channel). You know.. You're clicking through channels looking for something interesting and end up learning things you didn't know you wanted to know about.

Kimberly
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-20-2007, 02:37 PM   #53  
Watercolor Wizard

Hard to tell any more by names! I married a Catholic man, so even though I still consider myself Jewish, my name is Clark. I'm traveling incognito.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-25-2007, 09:27 PM   #54  
Die Cut Diva

I uploaded my Rosh Hashanah card:
Rosh Hashanah 2007 by Yapha at Splitcoaststampers

I'm going to change out the greeting depending on who I am giving it to -- some might say "Happy New Year" and some "L'Shanah Tova" in Hebrew or English.

Yapha
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-27-2007, 04:23 PM   #55  
Polyshrink Goddess

I almost forgot about this thread... and it's that time again to start making and sending Jewish New Year Cards! So let's *bump* this again to get some chatter going on..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-27-2007, 04:55 PM   #56  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I have an interesting (to me) stamping/Jewish story to help keep this thread alive. My coworker is Jewish and her daughter will become a bat mitzvah in September. She asked me to make a scrapbook for her. I asked her if she wanted room in the book for folks to sign it and leave messages. I figured I'd leave some pages blank at the back. She said yes.

Then she told me that no one would be allowed to sign it on the day of the ceremony because it was a Saturday and "doing anything creative was considered work, and therefore forbidden." Even signing your name with a little note is considered work. I thought that was really interesting.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-27-2007, 06:20 PM   #57  
Polyshrink Goddess

Joan, just a suggestion: Premake some papers that are decorated and letter size. She could send them out with the invitations and a return envelope or with the thank you cards(from the gifts) and have the folks send them back. They could then be put into the scrapbook. These would also provide room for a small note. Need not be full letter size.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-28-2007, 10:03 AM   #58  
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joan BView Post
I have an interesting (to me) stamping/Jewish story to help keep this thread alive. My coworker is Jewish and her daughter will become a bat mitzvah in September. She asked me to make a scrapbook for her. I asked her if she wanted room in the book for folks to sign it and leave messages. I figured I'd leave some pages blank at the back. She said yes.

Then she told me that no one would be allowed to sign it on the day of the ceremony because it was a Saturday and "doing anything creative was considered work, and therefore forbidden." Even signing your name with a little note is considered work. I thought that was really interesting.
The very religious Jews will not turn a light switch on (or off, I think) on the Sabbath,won't turn on the oven, won't drive.......the list goes on and on. Although I am far from being an Orthodox Jew, I attended an Orthodox synagogue as a child. We walked to services on Saturday. It was only about 3/4 of a mile, and I walked longer to school every day. (Of course, that was a different time.) However, they blocked the parking lot so that no one could "accidentally" drive there.
So, it is interesting that you may be able to drive to the bat mitzvah, but can't sign the book. Live and learn.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-28-2007, 11:02 AM   #59  
dal
Kookie Creator

Wow so glad there is so much interest in things Jewish (you would not think so from SU's selection of stamps). I work at a conservative synagogue so if anyone has a real technical question I can get them an answer! I have used Kosher Creative and they have lost of fun charms you can put on cards! As for Bar or Bat Mitzvah card colors, I try to use the same colors that they used on the invitation, I have even taken cards apart and used parts of them on the card (if I ever get around to posting cards I will inclued the Bat Mitzvah cards I recently made). I am trying very hard to get out of the use of blue and silver - I just checked with my sister (Sunday school teacher) and the only reason blue and silver are used is to mimic the colors of a Tallit (prayer shawl) which must contain a blue thread. This is the same reason the Israeli flag is blue and white.
As for Bar & Bat Mitzvah gifts I tend to stick to US savings bonds!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-29-2007, 09:20 AM   #60  
Kookie Creator

Wow so glad there is so much interest in things Jewish (you would not think so from SU's selection of stamps).

I echo what dal said. To clarify...I don't want to see lots of
Chanukah stamps because I don't make that many Chanukah cards. I just wish there were not so many sets that included one or more Christmas/Easter stamps that I am not going to use. The sets are too expensive to get them with stamps you know you will not use.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-30-2007, 11:57 AM   #61  
dal
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by purple elf ladyView Post
Wow so glad there is so much interest in things Jewish (you would not think so from SU's selection of stamps).

I echo what dal said. To clarify...I don't want to see lots of
Chanukah stamps because I don't make that many Chanukah cards. I just wish there were not so many sets that included one or more Christmas/Easter stamps that I am not going to use. The sets are too expensive to get them with stamps you know you will not use.
Thank you!!! There are so many sets I do not get because too many Christman/Easter stamps have been included! I would not mind "seasons greetings" or generic winter stuff, but I just never use Christmas specific stamps!

My cousin's wife (my SU distributor!) has sent many Jewish themed cards she has made to SU and they do not seem at all interested!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-02-2007, 09:41 AM   #62  
Polyshrink Goddess

I do with SU would recognize the need for more Jewish themed stamps, but there are other companies out there too.. and maybe that's their concept of leaving it to them ?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-04-2007, 04:01 PM   #63  
Polyshrink Goddess

I'm so happy I found this thread; I'm very new here (this is my first post after lurking for several weeks) and was really hoping that I'm not the only Jewish stamper ....

I buy many of my Jewish themed or Hebrew language stamps from zumgaligali.com. I've got unmounted ones; the quality is great and the images are so unusual. Two years ago I bought a very pretty Rosh Hashanah stamp of half an apple that says "A Sweet New Year" -- I stamped it in brown ink and embossed with holographic embossing powder on a 2-x-2-inch ivory scrap which I layered on brick-red paper on top of ivory cardstock. I've got another stamp which I should be using to make cards right now...

I make Chanukkah cards for my little nieces and other children in my extended family. I've done blue bar- and bat-mitzvah cards with a "Mazel Tov" stamp in a repeated pattern, used like wallpaper, and embossed with silver and then a big Jewish star also embossed with silver on 3-D pads in the center

now I need Jewish-themed wedding stamps.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-05-2007, 04:30 AM   #64  
Polyshrink Goddess

Oh gosh this is great - I live in a heavy Jewish community but I am Christian....this helps a lot!
Blog: Stampaloooza Paper Art Studios
Style: http://www.cafepress.com/stampaloooza
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-07-2007, 11:51 AM   #65  
dal
Kookie Creator

FYI - Rosh Hashana (Jewish New Year) is coming up fast!! The coming year is 5768 and remember Jewish Holy Days start the night before so Rosh Hashana starts at sundown September 12th. Its still not too late to make a few cards and get them out!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-08-2007, 02:16 AM   #66  
Forum Fanatic

Default 2007

Hello everyone,

Just a reminder that anyone wishing to send high holiday cards this year:

Rosh Hashanah is sundown September 12th
Yom Kippur is sundown September 21st.

Not sure if I saw this posted already but these are gender specific:

Bar Mitzvah - boys
Bas or Bat Mitzvah - girls

And my Mother does the increments of 18 in monetary gifts as well.

Another great online retailer who has Judaica stamps is www.stampingbella.com. There is a Menorahbella who reminds me of my pretty sister-in-law. Emily has wonderful merchandise on her site in general, but it is nice to see a selection of Judaica stamps included as well.

Happy New Year Everyone!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-08-2007, 06:33 AM   #67  
Kookie Creator

I have been working all week on New Year cards. So far 21 done. I have a few more to go. Thought there aren't many new year stamps, I like to use trees to signify the Tree of Life.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-09-2007, 10:50 AM   #68  
dal
Kookie Creator

Also remember that it's fine if your Rosh Hashana (New Years) cards arrive late. Most people are happy if a card gets to them any time before Yom Kippur!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-09-2007, 01:36 PM   #69  
Polyshrink Goddess

I spent all afternoon making 12 cards with extremely non-traditional dp's: I used several of the hippie-looking ones from the "Bohemia" line with some brown satin ribbon and a blue mat, and a stamp from Zum Gali Gali that has 2 interlocking shofars (ram's horns which we blow in the synagogue as part of the service). It came out very autumn-y. I wish I had remembered to scan one before sealing the envelopes. whoops.

On the inside, I wrote: Shanah Tovah -- best wishes for a happy and healthy 5768.

Other things you can write on the inside are:

Best wishes for a sweet new year.
May you be inscribed in the Book of Life
Wishing you all the sweetness of the New Year ( which works very well with an apple or honey stamp)

hope that is helpful
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-09-2007, 02:02 PM   #70  
Pearl-ExPert

Just want to thank-you for sharing this....i'm not jewish, but Ukrainian/Polish..i love to hear of other traditions.. celebrations etc..
I am subscribing for the reason that i want to print this out..
loves ya

When the world says give up, hope whispers, try one more time.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-11-2007, 08:45 AM   #71  
Cardstock Collector

Default Jewish stamps

Have you tried Ruth's Jewish stamps or Kosher Kreative? I just uploaded my Rosh Hashanah card - I used the Tapestry technique from Spiltcoast and SU stamps. I bought my brads came from a company on line a long time ago - can't remember the name.

Michelle (Jewish stamper) Barnett

Quote:

Originally Posted by merryfView Post
I'm so happy I found this thread; I'm very new here (this is my first post after lurking for several weeks) and was really hoping that I'm not the only Jewish stamper ....

I buy many of my Jewish themed or Hebrew language stamps from zumgaligali.com. I've got unmounted ones; the quality is great and the images are so unusual. Two years ago I bought a very pretty Rosh Hashanah stamp of half an apple that says "A Sweet New Year" -- I stamped it in brown ink and embossed with holographic embossing powder on a 2-x-2-inch ivory scrap which I layered on brick-red paper on top of ivory cardstock. I've got another stamp which I should be using to make cards right now...

I make Chanukkah cards for my little nieces and other children in my extended family. I've done blue bar- and bat-mitzvah cards with a "Mazel Tov" stamp in a repeated pattern, used like wallpaper, and embossed with silver and then a big Jewish star also embossed with silver on 3-D pads in the center

now I need Jewish-themed wedding stamps.
Attached Thumbnails
Jewish Card Making 101-rosh-hashanah.jpg  
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-23-2007, 04:59 PM   #72  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 28 Likes on 11 Posts

Maybe this thread would have been a better place to offer up my $1 stamp set.

Please see this thread.

I know that someone can use this. It's just not me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-25-2007, 07:25 PM   #73  
Embossing Fanatic

Default judaica stamps

Wow !!!
what an absulutely awesome thread ; It was so fun to read the excerpts of the different holidays and their meaning! Thanks so much for sharing.
I also wanted to add that club scrap has a beautiful hanukka (Chanukka) set unmounted sheet of stamps and you do not need to be a member to purchase it either`www.scrap.com
Betti G
TAC #1613
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-09-2007, 12:43 PM   #74  
Kookie Creator

Question new co.?

Quote:

Originally Posted by shmemView Post
Hi there,

I am not sure if I can post here but I am about to launch a rubber stamping company and I will 'specialize' in Judaica as I am Jewish and have noticed a big void in Jewish stamps!

Please PM me if you have any questions!!

Thanks
Emily
Did you ever start your co. and if so, what is the name?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-09-2007, 12:56 PM   #75  
Polyshrink Goddess

Post Great Summary!

I hope to start my own line of Jewish stamps next year... Let's keep in touch
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-09-2007, 01:09 PM   #76  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by purple elf ladyView Post
Did you ever start your co. and if so, what is the name?

Please correct me if I am wrong ... but I am pretty sure "shmem" is our very own/original Stamping Bella who knew a year ago the fame she would attain ;)

www.stampingbella.com

This is definitely a very useful thread! Add to my list of subscriptions for future reference! Thanks to everyone who has contributed to the information supplied!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-10-2007, 02:01 PM   #77  
Matboard Maniac

Smile

This is a great thread. Thanks for all the interesting information!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-15-2007, 08:37 AM   #78  
dal
Kookie Creator

Just an FYI Oriental Trading has a Hanukkah scrapbook paper set and Magen David (Star of David) brads. If you do a search for Hanukkah or Jewish they have over 150 items! Most are tacky little gift items, but still just the fact that they have that many items deserves credit!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-15-2007, 10:20 AM   #79  
Polyshrink Goddess

Smile Shalom Scrapper is a decent line of Jewish paper

www.shalomscrapper.com

Last edited by Jovi; 10-15-2007 at 11:57 AM.. Reason: Violates TOS ~ Removed Store Link
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-17-2007, 05:59 AM   #80  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by dalView Post
Just an FYI Oriental Trading has a Hanukkah scrapbook paper set and Magen David (Star of David) brads. If you do a search for Hanukkah or Jewish they have over 150 items! Most are tacky little gift items, but still just the fact that they have that many items deserves credit!
Thanks for the info on Oriental Trading. I'll have to remember those little brads on my next order.
www.koshercreative.com also has lots of stuff like eyelets, charms, paper,etc. I ordered lots from them a couple years ago and got great service.
Reply With Quote Likes