Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 01-27-2013, 02:13 PM   #41  
Kookie Creator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Funny you should ask that question. Like you, I use a lot of embossing folders but there are just certain cards where a big BG stamp really puts the finishing touches on the card. I just got done using my French Script with a new SU Sale-a-Bration set. It never goes out of date and turned out beautiful. I would never part with that one as well as several other backgrounds I have.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-27-2013, 02:54 PM   #42  
Glitter Guru

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Mayjoy, regarding my Mega Mount:

The acrylic bottom where you put the stamp is about 1/4 inch thick. The handle is a bit thicker. Yes, the bottom is curved, which is what makes it so effective.

Don't know how you would fashion one from glass. Sounds dangerous.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-29-2013, 12:03 PM   #43  
Pearl-ExPert

Smile

Quote:

Originally Posted by RachelroseView Post
Ah, Google Image. I only discovered it recently and now I can't live without it. It has it's very own bookmark right on my bookmarks bar.

I have been doing searches for my stamp sets and my Nesties, but haven't done it for my BG stamps. Duh. Thanks, Karen!
I sometimes forget about the Google Image feature too!! I will bookmark it now, that I'm thinking about it!! Thanks for the tip!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-29-2013, 10:45 PM   #44  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,089 Likes on 834 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by mayjoynstampView Post
Excuse me for asking about your Mega mount? How thick is the acrylic? I see it is a little curved which makes it really handy for stamping the whole image especially the center. I'm a little on the short side so I always have to stand up to stamp with the BG stamps... kinda strenuous after awhile.

I think I will go and visit the glass store and see if I can get one cut like that size. good idea. should be cheap! I know they would trim the corners for me too.
What ever makes it easier to use them! Thanks for the idea..
:rolleyes:
I think the handle is also what makes the Mega Mount so easy to use, as well as the curve. I have a 6" flat block which I've used for years (maybe a little bit bigger, but about that size), but the sheer size makes it harder to hold in your hand. I finally got the Mega Mount and it's much easier to use.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-30-2013, 04:05 AM   #45  
Inking Addict

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Oh, my goodness, I would Never get rid of my background stamps.
Not only are they great for using all or just part of the background stamped image on a card, but also great for using in making and decorating your own wrapping paper, paper bags, etc. and also great for stamping on homemade cookies just buy using a food safe marker(found in cake decorating section @ Michaels, hobby lobby).
Not just the large background stamps are wonderful for using on cookies, but any size stamps work just as well.
Think about using a heart stamp and stamping on a heart shape cookie or using Easter stamps and yes, even those Christmas stamps for stamping on homemade cookies.

Cute ideas on using rubber stamps on cookies
http://pinterest.com/valeriev/royal-icing-cookies/

Last edited by grannyof8; 01-30-2013 at 04:09 AM.. Reason: addede the link
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-30-2013, 04:45 AM   #46  
Embossing Fanatic

Default who makes "concrete" BG stamp...?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paula in GAView Post
I also love my bg stamps! I have one that looks like concrete & it's my very favorite! A stamp line that isn't mentioned here much has some outstanding bg stamps. It's LOCAL KING RUBBER STAMP.
can you tell me who makes that concrete stamp? If i'm picturing it correctly it is basically just a texture type stamp that would be a great, easy accent for just about ANY card. Thanks! Amy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-30-2013, 04:59 AM   #47  

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Love love love my BG stamps. I use them way more than I ever use my EFs. I particularly look for designs that are textural or boldly patterned. When I see a new stamp catty I always pay particular notice to the BG's. Another great EF and BG combo is to stamp directly onto the EF and then run you paper thru. You end up with a BG paper like this, with image in the background and the raised embossing without.

HYCCT1214 Read All About It by Misstreez - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-30-2013, 05:06 AM   #48  
Insane Embellisher

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by MisstreezView Post
Love love love my BG stamps. I use them way more than I ever use my EFs. I particularly look for designs that are textural or boldly patterned. When I see a new stamp catty I always pay particular notice to the BG's. Another great EF and BG combo is to stamp directly onto the EF and then run you paper thru. You end up with a BG paper like this, with image in the background and the raised embossing without.

HYCCT1214 Read All About It by Misstreez - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers
What a pretty card! Thanks for showing that one - now I have to try using a BG on one of my EFs!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-30-2013, 05:21 AM   #49  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 3,125 Likes on 971 Posts

I'm sure I probably have too many, and have actually weeded out some over the years, but background stamps just have so much versatility. IMO they are a necessary part of the hoard. I use them all the time. Most of mine are wood mount, which I store standing up on the side with a label on the end, (alphabetically for the most part), so easy to find the one I want.
Melody ~ Isaiah 40:31 Come join the Alphabet Challenge My GOD can do amazing things. Ephesians 3:20 gallery ~~ blog lilacs and butterflies
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-30-2013, 05:48 AM   #50  
Matboard Maniac

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Once upon a time a long time ago Impression Obsession produced a huge pdf with remarkable background recipes using their stamps. I went looking for it and the original is gone but I found this new one that I think you will all love!

Impression Obsession Rubber Stamps: Cover-a-Card Stamps & Mega Mount

There is a small blue box to the right of the video. You are gonna love this.

If anyone has some older Impression Obsession background stamps and would like me to look up in the first pdf and see if there's any recipes for you, please just email me.

-c
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-30-2013, 05:49 AM   #51  
Embossing Fanatic

Default KEEP THEM (and Try This Technique)!!

Check out Splitcoaststampers' video on YouTube titled "puzzle piece resist" (sorry but Splitcoast won't allow me to include a direct link).

I just started purchasing background stamps. I stamp them with Versamark and then emboss with white embossing powder. Follow the remaining instructions in the video. I have used fish dies and butterfly dies to make some of the most beautiful cards EVER! I only have two background stamps and am planning to purchase more.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-30-2013, 06:03 AM   #52  
Stazon Splitcoast

Money Saver

Quote:

Wow! I love that card and would not have known how you got that effect. Thanks for sharing!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-30-2013, 06:33 AM   #53  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 260 Likes on 141 Posts

Quote:

Love how this turned out. I'm so glad you explained it as I would never have gotten it on my own. Could you explain how you got the color on the raised part?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-30-2013, 07:56 AM   #54  
Matboard Maniac

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I LOVE my background stamps. They are so versatile - you need to make them work for you. As several have mentioned - sometimes a dry embossed background just doesn't give you the effect you are look for. You can cut it up into pieces, you can glitter it - using pigment ink (and then glittered embossing powder - I make my own with all kinds of colors) or stamp and stick glue. Another favorite of mine just to add a bit of depth is to stamp it with versamark - it's perfect!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-30-2013, 08:10 AM   #55  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts

I have many many large bg stamps. I don't use them as much as I used to, now with the embossing folders and the beautiful dp's out there. But I would never, ever get rid of them. First of all, like so many of the posts before me, you never know when you might want one for a different look. Also, there are trends in everything, and who knows if that trend won't come back. I just could never get rid of any of my stamps, as you just never know when you might want that exact stamp for something.
Mary ~~ QFTD #152, FS#514CC Guest Design Team 2012, 2013, 2017 & 2022 2014 CAS Spring Design Team Member SC Guest Design Team 2015 & 2022 SU Consultant "Life's greatest adventure is finding your place in the Circle of Life" - Lion King
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-30-2013, 08:15 AM   #56  
Kookie Creator

I have several and use them all the time. Some were wood mounted originally, I found that I didn't use them as much. I removed the wood and just backed the stamps with cling mount and find myself reaching for them more often! Sometimes I use them without an acrylic block too, and I get good images this way too. Hope this helps
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-30-2013, 08:27 AM   #57  

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by RachelroseView Post
Great basic collection. Depending on the colors you use with them, there's no limit to what you can do.

Don't forget that BG stamps and EFs can be effective when used together! Here's a card I recently did (I actually did two versions) using IO's Crisscross and then the Petal A Plenty EF.

Crisscross Daisy Notecard

The card would have looked fine with either just the BG stamping or just the embossing, but when combined, it's a whole other look.

Rachelrose,
Your card is really wonderful. Especially the crisscorss bg stamp with the embossing folder. This would be another way to "remove" color (with a sanding block) from the embossed areas, giving the card a shabby look.

Thanks for sharing another way of using the bg stamps.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-30-2013, 10:30 AM   #58  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

A beautiful script background stamp will come in very handy, especially when used subtlely. I have several, and they are probably my most used stamps. Saves on background paper too!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-30-2013, 10:47 AM   #59  
Matboard Maniac

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

This turned out to be a great thread! I went to IO and downloaded the recipes using the BG stamps. Wow! What wonderful ideas. And I may also have to go home and unmount my wooden ones. I might use them more...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-30-2013, 11:53 AM   #60  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kristy TyraView Post
This turned out to be a great thread! I went to IO and downloaded the recipes using the BG stamps. Wow! What wonderful ideas. And I may also have to go home and unmount my wooden ones. I might use them more...
What is IO? Can you explain where you looked and what you downloaded? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-30-2013, 12:02 PM   #61  
Inking Addict

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by TeachybabyView Post
What is IO? Can you explain where you looked and what you downloaded? Thanks.
IO is Impression Obsession
This is the post that cakhaxel posted earlier and tells you what to download and where.
"Once upon a time a long time ago Impression Obsession produced a huge pdf with remarkable background recipes using their stamps. I went looking for it and the original is gone but I found this new one that I think you will all love!
http://www.iostamps.com/mm5/merchant...gory_Code=2CAC

If anyone has some older Impression Obsession background stamps and would like me to look up in the first pdf and see if there's any recipes for you, please just email me."
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-30-2013, 12:05 PM   #62  
Rubber Obsessor

Thank you granny!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-30-2013, 12:07 PM   #63  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChautonaView Post
I like them. The only reason I don't use mine more is because they're in the bottom drawer which has lost its handle. I have to remove the one above it, push out the drawer, and voila.

That said, I actually have it on my list to do this weekend: Make my own background paper using my background stamps and other stamps--just because I can.
Could you tie a ribbon on it?
Www.Boxofchocolatescrafts.Com
YouNeverKnowWhatI’mGoingtoMake

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-30-2013, 12:12 PM   #64  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Quote:

Originally Posted by cakhuxelView Post
Once upon a time a long time ago Impression Obsession produced a huge pdf with remarkable background recipes using their stamps. I went looking for it and the original is gone but I found this new one that I think you will all love!

Impression Obsession Rubber Stamps: Cover-a-Card Stamps & Mega Mount

-c
OMG, I think I'm in love with most of the stamps on that website now that I've seen what layering them can do!
Thank you for sharing that link, definitely a keeper.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-30-2013, 12:17 PM   #65  
Polyshrink Goddess

I have background stamps and have used them only once. Now you all have me excited and I can't wait to use them. I would never have thought of putting two, much less three and four of them together for a beautiful pattern.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-30-2013, 12:18 PM   #66  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

I don't use mine as much since the release of so many awesome 6x6 paper packs which means I can get lots of patterned paper for not much $. However, I still reach for them to decorate my Cardstock bases sometimes and whenever I can't find the right colour or pattern of DP. I definitely won't be getting rid of them anytime soon! I even bought some when CHF went out of business, maybe 2-3 years ago? and there were lots more I didn't get. Boo hoo. And I bought some second hand way more recently than that.

I probably have 40-50 of them and most are on EZ mount. But since I now place them on the table and put the Cardstock on top as many others say they do, I am considering taking even that off. But it does help them stand on edge nicely inside the photo box I store them in so I can flip through them easily so I haven't decided for sure.

I do love them for techniques too like resist. Which you can't easily replicate without a large stamp as its so hard to see the versamark and line them up well using smaller stamps stamped repeatedly especially on light cardstock.

My biggest problem is getting them inked evenly when an ink pad is getting a bit dry. And as my most used ink pads are still SU! and my pads are old, like 7 years plus and they are dented in and don't reink to the same level as a new pad I've found, it can be a challenge. I'm slowly switching over to mostly PTI inks and Cardstock because they don't phase out colours.
Www.Boxofchocolatescrafts.Com
YouNeverKnowWhatI’mGoingtoMake

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-30-2013, 12:59 PM   #67  
Rubber Obsessor

Enablers! This thread is full of enablers!

I'd just made a few purchases from the B/S/T forums, so I told myself to stay out of that area. I thought a nice foray into the General Stamping Talk would be safe for me...but no. I wanted to weigh in on how much I love my BG stamps, I have 15 or so, but I hadn't been using them much because they can be hard to get a good image. Someone had to post about Impression Obsession's Mega Mount and Cover-a-Card stamps!

Of course, I had to have a Mega Mount...and a few (too many) of their BG stamps and added a ton more on my wish list.

There's no safe place for me! lol
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-30-2013, 01:02 PM   #68  
Rubber Obsessor

Oh my Princess, I think you must be a long separated sister. I am ordering like crazy! signed, Gonzaga fan
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-30-2013, 01:24 PM   #69  
Kookie Creator

I LOVE mine. One of my favorite techniques is to stamp them with versamark and emboss. I then sponge with color. It's called emboss resist. Fun stuff and adds so much depth and interest to my cards.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-30-2013, 01:35 PM   #70  
Rubber Obsessor

Background stamps are not the same as embossing folders. i would never abandon one for the other. I use both all of the time!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-30-2013, 02:59 PM   #71  

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeanne3579View Post
Love how this turned out. I'm so glad you explained it as I would never have gotten it on my own. Could you explain how you got the color on the raised part?
The colour on the raised parts is simply sponged on. Since it is raised it catches most of the colour off the sponge.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-30-2013, 03:20 PM   #72  

Sometimes I layer lots of stamps to make my background or patterned paper. For example

HYCCT1114 Razzled Serendipity by Misstreez - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers

I layered three background stamps and randomly stamped two other smaller images, including a heat embossed sentiment over the top, to get the final look.

Another thing I do often with my BG stamps is I only stamp a small part of the image if I'm doing a layered collaged look. I also use the textural stamps to add some interest to smaller pieces of cardstock.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-30-2013, 03:21 PM   #73  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 260 Likes on 141 Posts

Quote:

The colour on the raised parts is simply sponged on. Since it is raised it catches most of the colour off the sponge.
Thanks. I sort of figured that, but your card looks far more professionally done than I could get it by sponging (and sponging is one of my better techniques!). Thank you for sharing and answering my question. Want to try it tomorrow.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-30-2013, 03:30 PM   #74  

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeanne3579View Post
Thanks. I sort of figured that, but your card looks far more professionally done than I could get it by sponging (and sponging is one of my better techniques!). Thank you for sharing and answering my question. Want to try it tomorrow.
I either used a SU! sponge or a Ranger blending foam. I started out sponging the colour on lightly but in the end wanted a more saturated colour. So I went in hard and fast for the final application which gave me deeper colour on the raised edges and less colour on the raised surface. Hope that make sense. If I wanted more colour on the raised surface I would have gone fast and light. If you try this let me know how you get on with the results.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-30-2013, 04:55 PM   #75  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 226 Likes on 137 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rebecca EdnieView Post
I don't use mine as much since the release of so many awesome 6x6 paper packs which means I can get lots of patterned paper for not much $. However, I still reach for them to decorate my Cardstock bases sometimes and whenever I can't find the right colour or pattern of DP. I definitely won't be getting rid of them anytime soon! I even bought some when CHF went out of business, maybe 2-3 years ago? and there were lots more I didn't get. Boo hoo. And I bought some second hand way more recently than that.

I probably have 40-50 of them and most are on EZ mount. But since I now place them on the table and put the Cardstock on top as many others say they do, I am considering taking even that off. But it does help them stand on edge nicely inside the photo box I store them in so I can flip through them easily so I haven't decided for sure.

I do love them for techniques too like resist. Which you can't easily replicate without a large stamp as its so hard to see the versamark and line them up well using smaller stamps stamped repeatedly especially on light cardstock.

My biggest problem is getting them inked evenly when an ink pad is getting a bit dry. And as my most used ink pads are still SU! and my pads are old, like 7 years plus and they are dented in and don't reink to the same level as a new pad I've found, it can be a challenge. I'm slowly switching over to mostly PTI inks and Cardstock because they don't phase out colours.
I think the best way to get a bg stamp evenly inked is to ink it with a brayer. Then with the stamp face up, carefully lay your cardstock on the stamp, put a piece of copy paper over the cardstock, and either brayer over the copy paper or just rub it thoroughly with your hand to transfer the ink to your cardstock. This is what I've done for years, although I admit, that mega mount tool looks pretty cool!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-31-2013, 08:18 PM   #76  
Rubber Obsessor

I use a canvas or linen BG over print paper and it looks like fabric. I use the retired Corelli lace wheel the same way. If you heat emboss a cheesecloth BG it feels real, works as a fish net also.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-01-2013, 12:39 AM   #77  
Polyshrink Goddess

Oh no! I never considered using background stamps before reading this thread and seeing some of the beautiful samples posted. LOL!!! I guess now I am going to have to buy some.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-01-2013, 03:12 AM   #78  
Hardware Hotshot

I never ever use mine, rarely if ever have even gotten them out, but I still hang on to them!
I would love a script bg stamp tho. Also the musical notes are awesome, I'd keep those for sure.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-01-2013, 03:26 AM   #79  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by mamaxsixView Post
I love layering them, using them to kiss other stamps and just adding a little texture to things without adding bulk. My most used are: Canvas, Weathered, Script and Medallion.
Great idea to "kiss" them! I have done that at stamp camps, but don't think about it at home!

I have the canvas and weathered also. I have maybe used canvas three times and never the weathered. Sad, isn't it?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-01-2013, 05:29 AM   #80  
Pearl-ExPert

I sold all mine and have no regrets. For me they were more work than it was worth. I did not like inking them (getting even ink coverage). They did not always stamp evenly. And the huge stamps was just too much for my poor hands.
Reply With Quote Likes