Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 01-29-2009, 09:47 PM   #41  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by ckbytheseaView Post
Well, I work for a business that sends direct mail, at the discounted bulk mail rates. I think that "junk mail", even though it is last priority, does take time to sort and deliver, even with all the automation that happens before it enters the mail system.

You can opt out of many types of mailings. I used to get two Capital One offers and two Geico offers a week (one at PO Box, one at street), as did my husband. I went to DMA (Direct Mail Association) and found a link to opt out of unsolicited credit/insurance offers. Those mailings stopped! I also opted out of certain catalogs from the DMA site.

All this decreases pressure on the postal system, so opt out and maybe there will be fewer increases in the future. ;)
I went to their website but couldn't find a link like that
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-29-2009, 10:12 PM   #42  
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:

Originally Posted by glitterdovefairyView Post
I went to their website but couldn't find a link like that
Well, I went to the site and they have changed it significantly! Probably due to legislation that went into effect at the beginning of the year. I still think if you have the patience to figure it out, you will be able to decrease your junk mail.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-29-2009, 10:52 PM   #43  
Mad Swapper

It's only two cents!!! I spend more making cards then sending. I have stacks of them in my box. I do online everything so bills get sent by my bank. I maybe use 5 stamps/mo. For a gift, that's cheap!

My work might cut hours but hey, I'm ok with that. At least everybody will still have a job.

Everything is more expensive now. It takes a lot of energy to get our mail from one place to another. If you don't want to pay more, buy the forever stamps.

I noticed that Amazon is using USPS a lot more. For small packages, it is a lot cheaper than UPS/Fedex. Maybe this will help cost too, more businesses using the USPS service. Personally I like the postal service. They've been quick and my packages have all been great.

Happily designing for WPlus9 and CSS stamps, Waltzingmouse sketch, Scarlet Lime kit club, and the Digichick Card Caravan
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-29-2009, 11:24 PM   #44  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by ckbytheseaView Post
Well, I work for a business that sends direct mail, at the discounted bulk mail rates. I think that "junk mail", even though it is last priority, does take time to sort and deliver, even with all the automation that happens before it enters the mail system.

You can opt out of many types of mailings. I used to get two Capital One offers and two Geico offers a week (one at PO Box, one at street), as did my husband. I went to DMA (Direct Mail Association) and found a link to opt out of unsolicited credit/insurance offers. Those mailings stopped! I also opted out of certain catalogs from the DMA site.

All this decreases pressure on the postal system, so opt out and maybe there will be fewer increases in the future. ;)
This makes no sense. The reason the postal service is having problems is because of a lower volume of mail. More mail (even "junk mail") equals more jobs for postal workers.

If you want to do something to cut back on the junk mail you receive... go ahead, but don't think this will be helping the postal service at all.

Less mail means the postal service struggles more, and that's not something that keeps the price of stamps down.

Got Metal???

Last edited by Sencie; 01-29-2009 at 11:28 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-30-2009, 04:18 AM   #45  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

With all of us stampers sending cards and swaps everyday from SCS alone has to help PO. Imagine if we all stopped? They really would be in debt!LOL

I don't mind the 2 cent reaises on postage either. It going up like everything else and it hits us, the consumers.
I personally like 6 days mail a week. I love my Saturday mail to see if I got any goodies. And yes, it keep the postal carriers working that extra day. I have a compassion for my mailman. He is here everyday deliveriing all my mail in the bitter cold this winter and the sleet and everything. And some days I get ALOT of happy mail and he brings right up to my porch and makes sure it is under the awning if it raining.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-30-2009, 05:53 AM   #46  
Inking Addict

WELL, I have a homebased small business that requires me to mail out about
10 to 15 6x9 packages everyday or at least every other day and I can tell you, my mailperson is terrific , she picks my packages right up at the door, brings me stamps and free packing boxes if I need them, She has even corrected my mistakes and told me about it later. I never have to stand in line at the post office, and this is a service the post office offers everyone.
To be honest, I would not take a letter to my neighbor on a cold rainy day for 42 cent. Mail people are worth more than they get paid that is for sure.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-30-2009, 10:07 AM   #47  
Stazon Splitcoast

Our mail lady is so sweet...we always give her little thank you gifts and supply her with cold water to drink. I cant imagine how difficult it is to be a delivery person when you are walking and it is extremely hot or cold. Bless their hearts...
Blessings.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-30-2009, 12:30 PM   #48  
Polyshrink Goddess

Location: keeping my 7 yr old still, while I'm in stampin' bliss!

Quote:

Originally Posted by bekah1964View Post
I agree with you too. AND. I will add that the USPS is the only mail carrier that still allows oddly mailed (Naked Mail for example) packages. UPS, DHL, Federal Express do not allow any deviation in their packaging.

AND...(I believe this is still true) the USPS is one of the only "government" agencies that is 100% supported by their own funding resources. Thank goodness at least they don't take ANY of our tax money.

AND....I believe that because they are in a competing market, they offer rates and offerings that are competitive.

The USPS is no different than any other business around. For example, Have you noticed the increase in your groceries lately? I think we don't notice price increases as much there because we're not forwarned of the exact amount of an increase. At least USPS lets us know.
What exactly is this? Inquiring minds (roaming to Brad Pitt here) would like to know????!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-30-2009, 06:35 PM   #49  
Matboard Maniac

naked mail is male without packing material. like you can mail a bowling ball with just stamps and an address on it w/o a box.
Reply With Quote Likes