Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 04-01-2005, 10:29 AM   #1  
Kookie Creator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Making Coasters

Can anyone tell me about this? I bought some tiles and stamped on them w/ Staz-On ink to make coasters. I thought this ink was permenant but I discovered that when the condensation from cups sitting on the coaster rub the ink off. Do you have to spray it was some sort of adhesive?
"But as for me and my household, we will serve the Lord" Joshua 24:15

My Stuff
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-01-2005, 11:31 AM   #2  
Hardware Hotshot

Default Making Coasters

I always spray mine with a clear coat that I got at Home Depot. I can't imagine spending all the time to make one and have it get ruined. I actually have one on my desk at work, that has been there for over a year now. The clear coat works great.

Good Luck!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-01-2005, 05:44 PM   #3  
Crimping Master

If you are using glazed tiles, then sealing is needed because the Stazon has "no tooth" just glaze to adhere to. If you use tumbled tiles, not glazed/rough surface, then stazon works fine and no sealing is needed.
Folks that live in humid places, prefer tumbled tiles (Bottichino sp?) brand as they need the tiles to be able to absorb moisture.

HTH
Annette
http://stamponthis.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-01-2005, 05:49 PM   #4  
Crimping Master

I forgot to add in the last post. If you are coloring in a stazon image in chalks, then sealing is needed to keep the chalk on the tile.

Sorry I left that out.
Annette
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-01-2005, 05:55 PM   #5  
Matboard Maniac

I have been trying to figure out these tiles myself, yesterday we stamped with stazon onto a tumbled tile, not glazed, and it rubbed right off after letting it sit for a couple or hours. We did it again and baked it at 350 for 20 minutes and it seems to be staying fine, then we colored it with prisma color pencils and spayed it with a sealer. So far so good. Several people have said that you do not have to bake the tumbled tiles when using stazon, however, I have not found that to work for me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-01-2005, 05:58 PM   #6  
Polyshrink Goddess

I use tumbled tiles, stamp with Stazon and seal with thin layer of Mod-podge. haven't experienced any problems with this method.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-01-2005, 06:01 PM   #7  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by sewcrazie
I have been trying to figure out these tiles myself, yesterday we stamped with stazon onto a tumbled tile, not glazed, and it rubbed right off after letting it sit for a couple or hours. We did it again and baked it at 350 for 20 minutes and it seems to be staying fine, then we colored it with prisma color pencils and spayed it with a sealer. So far so good. Several people have said that you do not have to bake the tumbled tiles when using stazon, however, I have not found that to work for me.
Thank you for this info. I have only used the Bottichino (sp?) tumbled tiles. I have never had to seal them if using Stazon only (no pencils or chalk). Based on your experience, it sounds like some manufacturers must have ingredients in their tiles (not glazed) that inhibit stazon working the way I have experienced it.

Thanks!
Annette
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-01-2005, 06:21 PM   #8  
Glitter Guru

Annette,

Where do we find the Bottichino (sp) tiles?? I want to make some coasters and have been to both Lowe's and Home Depot and can find the tumbled tiles only in the 2X2 size...not exactly big enough for coasters...great magnets, but not coasters. TIA

Jeri
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-01-2005, 06:34 PM   #9  
Matboard Maniac

Default Tiles

I have found the tiles at both Home Depot and Lowes....you really have to look in the tile section...but a lot of times they are out (guess us stampers use way too many of them!!)...ask one of the workers, as they have always been helpful to me in assisting to find them! Also, check the box before you buy it...there are a lot of broken ones in boxes...I usually end up replacing broken tiles from other boxes!! Good luck!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-01-2005, 06:35 PM   #10  
Insane Embellisher

I got my Bottichino 4 x 4 tumbled marble tiles from Home Depot. They come in a box of nine, but you have to go through a couple boxes to grab the best ones to make a good box of nine.

Maybe they were just out of stock when you went there?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-01-2005, 06:35 PM   #11  
Matboard Maniac

i just made a set of four of these for my sisterin law, her b-day party is tomorrow, and my hubby asked if i had tested one to make sure it didn't run. i told him y'all said to use staz-on and it would be fine. i didn't have any petal point fluid chalk ink to color with so i used color box, option pad brights to color with. i heat sealed it but when i tested one tonight the color came right off!!!!!!!!

i have painted clear nail polish over the colored parts, any other suggestions? i don't have any modge podge or clear acrylic at the house!!!!

i'm a crazy red-head
http://gallery.splitcoaststampers.co...00&ppuser=6272
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-01-2005, 06:45 PM   #12  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

...I usually end up replacing broken tiles from other boxes!!
I do that when I buy eggs!:lol:
I tried to do that, too, the last time I was in Home Depot, and an employee came over and told me that wasn't allowed. :? By the look of the boxes, it seemed as if everyone had been doing it. There were loose tiles all over the shelf! I did manage to find two good boxes that didn't need to be "swapped out", though.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-01-2005, 06:48 PM   #13  
Glitter Guru

Thanks guys....guess I'll just have to keep looking...or maybe I didn't really know what I was looking for? Anyway...am going to HD tomorrow to see if they can help me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-01-2005, 07:07 PM   #14  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by calgramma
Annette,

Where do we find the Bottichino (sp) tiles?? I want to make some coasters and have been to both Lowe's and Home Depot and can find the tumbled tiles only in the 2X2 size...not exactly big enough for coasters...great magnets, but not coasters. TIA

Jeri
Funny, I never knew they came in 2x2 as I never looked! They are not "easy" to find. I get mine at Lowe's. Folks seem to jostle the boxes around. I look at every label on the shelving until I find them. They get re-arranged by lowe's a fair bit as well. I know some folks pick through the tiles (box of 9) to get "good" tiles. Unless there is one actually broken into two pieces, I don't. I like the ones that look rough around the edges. It gives them character.

Have fun!
Annette
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-01-2005, 07:29 PM   #15  
Matboard Maniac

the tiles at the HD in my town are on the floor under the first shelf. so if the guy in the paint dept. (i was stealing paint chips to make cards when he asked if i needed help finding anything hee-hee!) hadn't told me where to look i would not have seen them!

i'm a crazy red-head
http://gallery.splitcoaststampers.co...00&ppuser=6272
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-05-2005, 05:59 AM   #16  
Kookie Creator

Default coasters

Thanks girls for all the input. I've learned a lot. The tiles that I bought were shiny and smooth so I now know why the ink didn't stick. But I will try the suggestions you made. I used a clear adhesive spray but it made my stamped image look like it was "runny" or like it was been smeared a little. Perhaps I didn't wait long enough for the Staz-On ink to dry?!? But I will try, try again.

My Stuff
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-05-2005, 06:06 AM   #17  
Pearl-ExPert

I just had a thought, I hope you didn't use a adhesive spray, but a clear sealer. Adhesive would just make it sticky :?

Denise
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-05-2005, 06:29 AM   #18  
Pearl-ExPert

Do they make these tiles any larger? If so, has anyone tried making a trivet with one?

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-05-2005, 06:31 AM   #19  
Matboard Maniac

So, what type of sealer to you all use? I just bought Krylon paper finishes workable fixatif. This says the prevention of smudging of chalk, crayon, charcoal, pastels, pencil and more, but I think this may only be for paper. What type should I be buying for the tumbled tiles? Also, what do you all normally color your images in with? pastels? sharpies? Do the stampin' write journalers work, since they are pigment ink? Thanks!

Lisa Morgan
www.lisamorgan.stampinup.net
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-05-2005, 06:46 AM   #20  
Mad Swapper

I use Bottichino 4 x 4 tumbled tiles for coasters. I use staz-on ink and have never had a problem with it coming off. I don't heat set it or seal it. I have taken it and scrubbed it under running water almost immediately after stamping (OK, maybe about 5 minutes after I stamp on it) and have not had it come off!

I use Fabrico markers or Sharpies to color them in, and again have never had a problem with the color coming off. I only seal them if I use chalks.

I have used the marble tiles...2 x 2 for magnets, and large sizes too to make dry erase boards that I sit up on a small metal easel to disply. The magnets I seal ( I have used various brands). I have also stamped on dominos and seal them too.

The texture you stamp on and what you use to color the image in makes a difference on whether you must set/seal them or not.

Good luck with the coasters. They ae great fun and addictive!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-05-2005, 07:04 AM   #21  
Mad Swapper

I don't know what I would do if I couldn't take out the broken ones!!! I mean, think about it, if you were using them for a floor, would you use the broken ones? I think not!

I've found them at Home Depot. No luck at Lowes (but I haven't gone there yet).

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-05-2005, 07:12 AM   #22  
Matboard Maniac

I've gotten tumbled tiles at Home Depot - they are something like 9 tiles for $6. I stamped with Staz On and colored in with Sharpie markers and never had them run. I even ran them under the faucet! If you seal the coasters they won't be able to absorb the moisture from the glasses either.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-05-2005, 07:13 AM   #23  
Gabfest Goddess

If you don't want to waste the glossy tiles that you bought, you can sand them! My sister and I bought those kind and had the same problems you are having. We found if we sanded them a little and then stamped they stayed much better. We also baked them at 350 for about 15 minutes AND sprayed them (just to make sure they didn't run). It's extra work, but what else can you do with a whole box of tiles?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2005, 07:50 AM   #24  
Kookie Creator

Default Coasters

Sandy the glossy tiles is a GREAT idea. I would have never thought about that - do you use regular sand paper or some specific kind that is rougher than normal? Also, someone earlier commented that I should use a "Clear sealer" and not a "clear adhesive". What brand do you use and where do you buy it? Home Depot?

My Stuff
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2005, 02:05 PM   #25  
Gabfest Goddess

I just a used a small sander because I had a whole box to sand! A regular piece of sandpaper would work too. After you sand, you can't even tell, they still look smooth and everything. It really does work! I went to Home Depot and just bought a can of clear spray. Krylon made it. I can't remember exactly what it was called, but it was made by Krylon and it was clear. It was cheaper there then buying a clear spray at a scrapbook store.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2005, 02:38 PM   #26  
Stazon Splitcoast

Default Re: coasters

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baker 88
Thanks girls for all the input. I've learned a lot. The tiles that I bought were shiny and smooth so I now know why the ink didn't stick. But I will try the suggestions you made. I used a clear adhesive spray but it made my stamped image look like it was "runny" or like it was been smeared a little. Perhaps I didn't wait long enough for the Staz-On ink to dry?!? But I will try, try again.
You probably sprayed too much, too close. Follow the directions on the can for how far away to hold the can, and spray lightly. It's always better to apply several light coats rather than one heavy one.

One more thing. You said you used adhesive. That's SPRAY GLUE! There's a big difference between sealer and adhesive! :lol:

My Stampin' Up! blog
"I'm a time traveler -- I point and laugh at archaeologists." 10th Doctor, "Silence in the Library"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2005, 02:47 PM   #27  
Compulsive Stamper

Default making coasters

I made coasters for my daughter for xmas I cleaned them with rubbing alchohol (?) and then used stazon I also colored some with pastels
Sealed them couple of times with a clearcoat and they have been great.
She came over and made her own with WCGII and they are beautiful!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-07-2005, 03:47 AM   #28  
Kookie Creator

I really want to have a go at this but being in the UK do not have the stores you mention. Have any other UK members tried it and if so can you tell me where you got your tiles from please?

Pootle
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-07-2005, 05:59 AM   #29  
Kookie Creator

Thanks for the info again on the sanding and the adhesive/sealer. I tried several coasters last night again....and used several different methods. I tried sanding but didn't test it to see if it ran once water touched it. I also tried coloring it in with Stampin' Up ink but when i sprayed the clear adhesive, it ran and smudged something terrible. I now realize that adhesive is spray glue and that is different than a sealer. I tried one to bake but didn't get around to baking it. I have a box of 80 shiny, glazed tiles and I really want to use them. I will try to go to Home Depot today to get a clear spray. My adhesive is also made by Krylon and is clear but it does say Adhesive so it's not the same as a sealer. I also tried a thin layer of Mod Podge but you could see the brush strokes where i put it on with a paintbrush and if you take your fingernail, you can actually "scrape" the Mod Podge away so that didn't seem to work for me. I am getting frustrated with this whole process. Someone also mentioned that you could use chalk or ink to color in and then use the sealer on top. Can you only use the chalk/ink on the Bottchino tiles because nothing sticks to the glossy ones, not even after sanding them.

Does anyone have any pictures of coasters that they can download for viewing? I'd like to just see if what I am attempting is comparable to what others are doing. Thanks again.

Desperate in Kentucky....GT

My Stuff
Reply With Quote Likes