Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 02-16-2009, 06:41 AM   #1  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Martha Stewart Clear Stamps

I haven't found any info on this in here so forgive me if I just missed it - but I cannot get a good image out of Martha's clear stamps! Argh! I expected them to be at least decent and even my $1 stamps are better!! I am ready to send a major complaint and wanted to see if I was the only one with an issue or if this has been an ongoing problem.

Thanks
Michelle
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-16-2009, 07:21 AM   #2  
Polyshrink Goddess

I bought an alpha set from MS at Walmart on super clearance this year and was very disapointed with the images. I can get clear images out of almost anything, even $1 stamps but no matter what I did, I couldn't get a clear, consistant image from the MS alphas.

I won't buy her clear stamps again.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-16-2009, 07:24 AM   #3  
Stampin' Fool

Smile

Try these things before you throw in the towel on clear stamps:

1. Do NOT press down as hard as you do with your wood mounted stamps. It squishes the stamp.

2. Try Versafine ink or CHALK ink, it sticks to the stamps better. I am thinking you are getting "beading up" of the ink because you are using DYE INKS?

3. Try washing your clear stamps in warm soapy water BEFORE you use them for the FIRST TIME. Many clear stamps still have a residue on them from the manufacturing process. Washing them ( do NOT forget to close the drain!) in a little bath, using a gentle hand soap, and then patting them dry with a paper towel, usually removes this residue.

4. If none of these things wor, try going over the stamps with a white eraser. That also helps prep the stamps and remove that residue.

I really hope these things work for you. I absolutely LOVE all my clear stamps when I use these inks. Dye inks never work well for me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-16-2009, 08:50 AM   #4  
Insane Embellisher

Have you tried using a foam sheet underneath your cardstock? I have one that came with some Inque Boutique stamps, and it really makes a difference when using clear stamps. I have several Martha Stewart clear sets, and they don't seem to give me any trouble when I use the foam underneath. Also, I use ColorBox fluid chalk ink. HTH!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-16-2009, 12:24 PM   #5  
Polyshrink Goddess

I am a faithful lover of almost all clear stamps. I have no problems with any of them except the MS brand. That's what I was trying to say.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-16-2009, 12:31 PM   #6  
Speedy the Cat did WHAT?

Quote:

Originally Posted by mama2oliviamaeView Post
I am a faithful lover of almost all clear stamps. I have no problems with any of them except the MS brand. That's what I was trying to say.
I have to agree with you... I had to wash them, rub and eraser over them, and then use them on top of fun foam to get a decent image...

I have found that if you stamp in VERSAMARK FIRST, then right into the dye ink, this helps, A LOT!!! You can just use your heat tool to set the ink.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-16-2009, 12:44 PM   #7  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by kitty14View Post
Try these things before you throw in the towel on clear stamps:

1. Do NOT press down as hard as you do with your wood mounted stamps. It squishes the stamp.

2. Try Versafine ink or CHALK ink, it sticks to the stamps better. I am thinking you are getting "beading up" of the ink because you are using DYE INKS?

3. Try washing your clear stamps in warm soapy water BEFORE you use them for the FIRST TIME. Many clear stamps still have a residue on them from the manufacturing process. Washing them ( do NOT forget to close the drain!) in a little bath, using a gentle hand soap, and then patting them dry with a paper towel, usually removes this residue.

4. If none of these things wor, try going over the stamps with a white eraser. That also helps prep the stamps and remove that residue.

I really hope these things work for you. I absolutely LOVE all my clear stamps when I use these inks. Dye inks never work well for me.
I must concur--I find chalk or pigment inks perform the best for me, across the board with all brands of clear stamps.

HTH,
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-16-2009, 01:23 PM   #8  
Kookie Creator

I agree. The Martha Stewart stamps never give me a clear image either. They are so cute. I think they must not be photopolymer as they bead up even with conditioning.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-16-2009, 03:32 PM   #9  
Insane Embellisher

I bought a MS alpha on sale at michael's and it's horrible. I too love using clear stamps and tried different inks, did the eraser thing, etc and the image is just not crisp. I also had a devil of a time just pulling the stamps off the sheet--a ridiculously hard time. My studio g stamps are better than MS stamps. I just gave up, I shouldn't have to do 10 things to the stamp before it stamps clear. I should have bought Papertrey Ink's small alphabet instead. That's what I get for trying to save a couple of bucks.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-16-2009, 09:25 PM   #10  
Watercolor Wizard

Hmm, I have read to season new clear stamps lighty with a paper sanding block rather than an eraser . . . have not tried this yet on any MSC stamps, but it helped on some other brands.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-17-2009, 05:02 PM   #11  
Rubber Obsessor

Thanks for all of the responses - I have many other brands of clear stamps and MS has been the only one I have had issues with. I will try using some versamark and the chalk inks, as well as give them a bath - maybe it is residue from the molds. I did try my CTMH ink pads too - no luck. Will let you know tomorrow if the other suggestions helped. Thanks a ton!!
Michelle
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-17-2009, 05:18 PM   #12  
Polyshrink Goddess

I have one set os MS stamps and I HATE them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-17-2009, 05:38 PM   #13  
Matboard Maniac

The one set of MS that I bought wound up in the trash they were horrible! I use several different brands of clear stamps and love them but her's are terrible! Nothing I did worked for me and I just gave up on them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-17-2009, 06:07 PM   #14  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

I bought a set that came with the glue pad, really cute designs that coordinated with her punches. I tried a couple of them out, and couldn't get a clear image. Tried cleaning, erasing, lightly sanding, everything only to discover that about 1/3 of them were uneven. That's right, the stamp was actually thin in some places and thicker in others, not just a slight difference in thickness either. The poorest quality stamps I have EVER used! I would've returned them, but I didn't try them out right away, as I really only bought it for the glue pad, (glue pad stinks too) threw out the packaging, so didn't think I could return them. I have a couple of her other sets, too, calligraphy alpha and some other one, I've never used them, they're such junk!

If I was Martha Stewart I would be ashamed to put my name on those products.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-20-2009, 05:57 PM   #15  
Rubber Obsessor

Default I contacted EK Success

Just wanted to let you know that I did contact EK Success on the issues we have had on the MS clear stamps. I appreciate all the feedback. I did try the versamark and then stamp and it was a lot better but still not what I would use on a card.

Thanks again
michelle
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-20-2009, 06:06 PM   #16  
Inking Addict

I thought it was me. It is a definate thumbs down for MS stamps. Bought the gingerbread set at Christmas and was soooooo disapointed.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-20-2009, 07:08 PM   #17  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by mickeysue1002View Post
Just wanted to let you know that I did contact EK Success on the issues we have had on the MS clear stamps. I appreciate all the feedback. I did try the versamark and then stamp and it was a lot better but still not what I would use on a card.

Thanks again
michelle
Thanks - I got two sets at Christmas that haven't seen ink yet and there were a couple of more I had my eye on but this sounds like a design flaw - you shouldn't have to work with stamps of this price for that long to get a decent image so I wait to hear what they say.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-20-2009, 07:18 PM   #18  
Sis
Insane Embellisher

I love coming here because people are honest and share information. I have not bought any of these and will pass. I am sorry for you that have bought and been disappointed. I think we all become little girls when we buy our stamping products. Can't wait to get home and enjoy them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-21-2009, 03:48 PM   #19  
Rubber Obsessor

I finally found my Colorbox pigment ink and tried them with MS clear stamps - big difference and did work much better. At least between this pigment ink and using versamark then regular ink, I will be able to use the sets I have already purchased. I will let you know what if anything I hear from EK Success.
TTFN
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-25-2009, 09:15 AM   #20  
Embossing Fanatic

Default MS Clear Stamps

ohhh now I'm disappointed and I haven't even opened the package yet. I bought this beautiful Christmas tree clear set on sale....now I'm afraid to open it and be even more disappointed. I'll keep checking back and see what transpires from the contact with EK success. Thanks

"Go In The Direction of Your Dreams"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-25-2009, 09:23 AM   #21  
Inking Addict

I am glad and sad at the same time after reading these comments. I am GLAD because I thought I was doing something wrong with my MS stamps, at least I know I am not alone. I am sad because her stamps are not inexpensive. I will not make that mistake again. I also will never purchase Anna Griffin stamps. They are worse than the MS. I have written and emailed Anna Griffin and have never received a response. This was a huge waste of $40+. Does anyone know how to get the AG acrylic stamps to adhere to the block? Thanks for any suggestions.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-25-2009, 09:45 AM   #22  
Crimping Master

I too am a lover of clear stamps. I love that I can see where I am putting them, which I think it allows for more creativity. VersaMark and Ancient Page permanent dye ink (by Clearsnap) work well and I always get a clear image. I would agree to not press too hard or it will squish the stamp and give a less crisp impression.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-25-2009, 09:54 AM   #23  
Rubber Obsessor

I have to say I am a bit shocked about these reviews. I have some MS clear stamps and I absolutely love them! I get a clear image every time. I use the black watercolor ink from A Stamp in the Hand because I can use it on glossy paper and it does not lose its color and it is a very crisp look.

Regarding the Anna Griffith stamps, I had a problem with a couple of hers and so I use my block with tac n Peel on it and never have an issue with any stamps not sticking. Here is a link to show everyone of the product I am referring to, in case you are not aware of what this is: http://www..com/tack-n-peel.html.

Hope this helps!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-25-2009, 10:58 AM   #24  
Inking Addict

Smile

Thank you so much for the link. I have not tried that but I will. I love all stamps, but clear acrylic are my fav! I guess I just expected more from Martha and Anna. It seems strange to spend a lot less on stamps (even from Michael's dollar bin) and they stamp better than the expensive stamps. Hopefully, this will work,. Once I receive the tape, I will post an update.;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-25-2009, 03:07 PM   #25  
Embossing Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by birdie123View Post
I am glad and sad at the same time after reading these comments. I am GLAD because I thought I was doing something wrong with my MS stamps, at least I know I am not alone. I am sad because her stamps are not inexpensive. I will not make that mistake again. I also will never purchase Anna Griffin stamps. They are worse than the MS. I have written and emailed Anna Griffin and have never received a response. This was a huge waste of $40+. Does anyone know how to get the AG acrylic stamps to adhere to the block? Thanks for any suggestions.
I was very dissappointed with Anna Griffin clear stamps too! I bought a huge set from QVC or HSN and never liked the quality. Glad to hear it's not just me! I can't be bothered with all that "prepping" that some mention but thanks for the tips.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-25-2009, 03:16 PM   #26  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have the Martha Stewart birds set from Walmart and they stamp perfectly clear and crisp. I love them. Maybe its some batches of the materials?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-25-2009, 03:27 PM   #27  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 122 Likes on 67 Posts

I tested a previously unused Martha Stewart stamp with Stazon and four other different inkpads (Amuse, Whispers, a cheap Inkadinkado one, and one other pigment ink pad). The two that worked the best were Stazon and the cheap Inkadinkado. And, if you clean the stamp soon afterwards, you don't have a problem with staining of the stamp. I was actually quite surprised with the results--I thought the pigment would have worked the best.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-25-2009, 05:26 PM   #28  
Forum Fanatic

I have the MS butterfly set and I really like it. I've only used it with VersaMark tho - we'll see how they stamp with other inks.

I do know tho that they are more of a vinyl-like material rather than high quality photo-polymer - so a lot of inks will bead up on them no matter what you do.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-25-2009, 05:44 PM   #29  
Watercolor Wizard

Location: Canadian prairie girl, lost in all the wind and snow!

I have the baby set from MS and made my niece's birth announcements with them. They worked great for me. I used veramark ink first, then stamped in SU classic ink. I used a foam piece (from a CTMH set) under the cardstock I was stamping and it turned out just fine. Sorry to hear so many are having issues. Hopefully you get an email back.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-01-2009, 02:31 PM   #30  
Inking Addict

Just to add another idea for the foam pad - a mouse pad works great, as long as it doesn't have a hard or slick finish. The best thing I've ever used is a pad I got at JoAnn's. In fact, after a few years of use I bought a second. It is a deep red/purple/burgundy color, maybe 12x18, and always on the bottom shelf in the stamping area.
Glad to know about stamping with versamark and then a regular ink pad - thanks for that tip!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-13-2009, 05:58 AM   #31  
Rubber Obsessor

Hello again... I finally heard from EK Success about the issues I was having with the Martha Stewart Stamps. They only addressed the issue with them not sticking to the acrylic block properly, and that it was an issue they have already fixed. I think they had a lot of complaints but it seems to be an isolated issue and not all of her stamps. The set (Valentine) I purchased is not available with the good acrylic so they are shipping me a new set that is available instead. Just wanted to let you all know - thanks so much for everyone's help.

Michelle
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-13-2009, 07:15 AM   #32  
Matboard Maniac

I only buy clear stamps if they are made with high quality polymer. Some stamps only use some sort of vinyl cling - in my experience companies that fall into this category are Heidi Grace, Studio G, EK Success, Fiskars, Inkadinkado, and Martha Stewart. That is why people have trouble getting good impressions with the stamps. The ink beads up and the stamped images are highly inconsistent. The solution is to use chalk inks or Versafine works extremely well because the image is detailed and crisp still, which chalk loses on that end. There might be other inks out there that work with these stamps, I haven't tried them yet. Since I would rather use my regular ink pads, I don't buy from these stamp companies ever for this reason.

Designing for my Stamp BOX | Caardvarks | Purple Cows
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-13-2009, 08:00 AM   #33  
Stampin' Fool

I use Memento dye ink on all my clear stamps including Inkadinado and Clearsnaps. Never had a problem with beading on any of those. Never did any "prep" work on them either. They stamp a really clear image for me.

I only have two MS stamps and they're both wood mounted. Her other stamps, while interesting, didn't reach out and grab me so I didn't get them. Although I have to admit, I love her markers!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-13-2009, 08:55 AM   #34  
Rubber Obsessor

If the clear stamp is made of silicone the dye does not stick well. T hat is what I have been told at least when I have raised the question about other clear stamps. A post a few spots below is correct. Trying out other inks are a good idea. Good luck!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-13-2009, 08:42 PM   #35  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by ink|outside|the|boxView Post
I too am a lover of clear stamps. I love that I can see where I am putting them, which I think it allows for more creativity. VersaMark and Ancient Page permanent dye ink (by Clearsnap) work well and I always get a clear image. I would agree to not press too hard or it will squish the stamp and give a less crisp impression.
Treena...You still can't convert me....I've tried a few and don't like the quality at all......I just prefer the convenience and clear image of wood mounted.... I've never had a problem placing my stamps.... and I can just stamp without figuring out which ink and how to stamp them....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-14-2009, 04:14 AM   #36  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by SUZIE-QUZIEView Post
Just to add another idea for the foam pad - a mouse pad works great, as long as it doesn't have a hard or slick finish. The best thing I've ever used is a pad I got at JoAnn's. In fact, after a few years of use I bought a second. It is a deep red/purple/burgundy color, maybe 12x18, and always on the bottom shelf in the stamping area.
Glad to know about stamping with versamark and then a regular ink pad - thanks for that tip!
I have the same pad. I've used it for several years now and I love it! It's made by Darice and measures 11x17. I can't remember exactly how much it costs, but it's totally worth the money (especially with a coupon).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-16-2009, 09:10 PM   #37  
Inking Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm so glad I found this thread. I had bought the MS gingerbred stickers in December of o8. Just remembered to use them today. Loved them so much, wished I had bought more then remembered the gingerbread stamps I had bought at the same time. Tried to use them on Kraft cardstock and was so disappointed. I don't really like any of the white inks I have so will try to find something new but I don't think it's the ink in this case. I'm not that experienced a stamper but will now try some of the suggestions I've read. Also, will try stamping it on white cs with a brown ink if I can find one that's not really too brown but looks more like gingerbread. Because the house stamp has so many flat surfaces and is picking up too much of the white, I'm wondering if it needs to be reversed. I'll try anything....tomorrow.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-17-2009, 07:10 AM   #38  
Die Cut Diva

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by mickeysue1002View Post
... maybe it is residue from the molds. ...
If they are clear stamps made from photopolymer (ie good quality clear stamps) then they aren't made in a mould - it is a process using light waves to create the hardened area of the stamps (the raised image). The cheap silicone stamps are made with moulds. I'm thinking now that Martha has her stamps made off shore and that's why people are having such problems with them because most of the silicone ones are made in China or Taiwan - I don't think that there would be very much in the way of quality control with that. I personally haven't had any issues with her stamps - but then again I only have one set that I bought at a super discount for Valentines and only used it once.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-17-2009, 12:06 PM   #39  
Gallery Gazer

I can fiddle with the martha stewart stamps enough to get a decent image eventually, but I too have a dickens of a time getting them off the sheet to use them.

I won't buy any clear stamps anymore that are not made in the US.

While I love the image art of the MS and some of the other companies mentioned above stamps, the fact that they are so hard to get of the sheets that they often tear in the process, just makes me not want to spend the money.

Additionally, I think that some of these brands are so readily available its often the first exposure to clear stamps some folks get, and unfortunately, it isn't always a good one for everyone.

So far my favorites are CTMH, PTI, Our Craft Lounge and The Stamps of Life.
Reply With Quote Likes