Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 11-09-2004, 07:46 PM   #1  
Matboard Maniac

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mono Adhesive....Is it just me or what??? UPDATED see page2

I have never used the mono adhesive or snail adhesive before until this week as I was trying to finish things up for the snowflake swap. I had glued all my swaps together, but when I got up this morning they had all seperated. I had to use my hermafix tabs on them to finish them up and to get them to stay. Is it just me or has anyone else had this happen to them.

I was really frustrated. I had started out using quite a bit of it on them, but then read the thread about only using it sparingly so I caught the corners and middles of my paper. But even the ones where I used a lot came undone as well. So far I am not impressed with it :(

The hermafix had stayed put though, hopefully it will not make a difference in the snowflake swap since we were only supposed to use current SU products and the hermafix is something they dropped this year. But what could I do since it would not stick and the hermafix was the only thing that did that I have. :oops: Oh well...
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-09-2004, 07:56 PM   #2  
Kookie Creator

Stampin' Up! still has the hermafix as a write in. If you aren't a demonstrator as your demonstrator. I am having the same problem as far as mono goes. The mono used to work so well and now it doesn't work very good. I still use it and always will until something cheaper come out that we sell that is just as easy. For now I will just grumble as I use it and hope that I just got a bad batch because I love the convience of it. Saturday I had a stamp camp at my house and had 18 women using mono. I hope there projects stay put. On some projects we had to use the glue stick because mono wouldn't hold it together. I just hope that Tombow does something about it.

Cheryl
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-09-2004, 08:07 PM   #3  
Matboard Maniac

I am so glad it is just not me. I am glad to hear that hermafix is a write in because really I am a Hermafix girl :lol: I was hooked from the beginning. I even tried the duck brand adhesive that is similar to the mono adhesive and I didn't like it either. Hopefully SU will do something about it. I am going to call them tomorrow and let them know I am not happy with it. Probably won't do much but at least they will know that there are problems with it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-09-2004, 08:18 PM   #4  
Polyshrink Goddess

I do not like mono due to the same reasons you've listed. I use hermafix permanent or xyron runner.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-09-2004, 08:39 PM   #5  
Mad Swapper

On your swaps are you using ribbon or fibers? When you have the ribbon running between a couple of layers it causes tension on the card stock so the mono doesn't want to hold as well. In a previouse thread a few weeks ago someone had a very scientific explanation for this phenomenon. My mono works great as long as I don't have ribbon going between layers. Someone here also has suggested using mono on both pieces of card stock so they meet up when you put them together. Mono on mono seems to hold a lot better. I hopes this helps. I know it helped me when I read it. Ann
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-09-2004, 09:04 PM   #6  
Die Cut Diva

Do you know, my friends and I are all having problems having the mono work these past couple months, we were blaming the dry weather. We've used it faithfully for acouple years but, its not sticking~ even just a layer of cd stk to cd stk. I'm using tonnes more than I used to and have been reinforcing with glue dots! ugh
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-09-2004, 09:34 PM   #7  
Watercolor Wizard

WOW I'm surprised, I have never had any problems with mono. Although I don't use it for ribbons or fiber, I've always used glue dots for that.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-09-2004, 10:29 PM   #8  
Mad Swapper

I haven't had any problems with mono either, and I use it alot. I do use glue dots for ribbon and fibers. Maybe it's the humidity where you live.
Good luck in finding a more agreeable adhesive.

Stampin'Hugs
Charlee
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-09-2004, 11:39 PM   #9  
Mad Swapper

Hmmm..thanks for the feedback. I have some on my next order. I might think twice. I usually use double sided scotch tape which works well, but I get tired of peeling and sticking it. I'd rather just run it across. Maybe I'll look for something else.

Joy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-10-2004, 04:44 AM   #10  
Matboard Maniac

I do not have any ribbons or fibers on my swaps, some embossing though. I have never had problems like this with Hermafix but I did with the duck brand. Well I live in the Denver area and don't have a humidity problem so I do not think it is that. I am glad to hear the a few people are having the same problem. I know that I cannot afford to go through tons of adhesive by sticking mono to mono, but thank you for the suggestion. And a person should not have to do use a ton of adhesive to hold a couple of pieces of cardstock together, when usually a little dab will do you. And it seems like many of you have said that they cringe when they see their customers at stamp camps going through mono like water. So hopefully SU will see what they can do about it when I call them later.

I really appreciate all of the comments and suggestions that everyone has shared. Thank you!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-10-2004, 05:11 AM   #11  
Stazon Splitcoast

I have gone to using double stick scotch tape on my cards. In my albums I use CM tape runner......
I found that I am not real happy with the way the mono is holding either. I think I will have to give the last 5 rolls to my DD so she can "make cards" with it herself!

Be Yourself ~ Everyone else is taken ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-10-2004, 05:26 AM   #12  
Polyshrink Goddess

I've had the same problems with the Mono... I was using some "older" mono I got earlier in the summer and it's sticks, but the last batch I got from Viking- it seems likes it's temporary rather than permanent... I double checked and it says it's permanent, but sure doesn't stick like it!!! Jen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-10-2004, 05:32 AM   #13  
Embossing Fanatic

my mono does that same thing! i had finished some money cards and when i got up the next morning, the ends werent attached. i had to use photo tabs.

i tried hermafix too - but mine doesnt wind up properly or something - because the part that is supposed to wind away leaving just the tape - comes out and frustrates me very bad!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-10-2004, 05:38 AM   #14  
Pearl-ExPert

I'm one of the lucky ones. Mono holds great for me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-10-2004, 05:39 AM   #15  
Kar
Gabfest Goddess

I have never had a problem with mono either. I have bought it from Viking too I have never bought any from SU so not sure if theirs would be any better or not. When you get it for $1.88/refill I don't care how much my kids use, but do tell them to use it sparingly.. some listen some don't.. oh well...
SCS member #735
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-10-2004, 05:42 AM   #16  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hmmm, all I can say is that if it isn't sticking then there is something wrong with it. I am not sure what Viking's return policy is, but if you purchased it within 90 days from a SU demonstrator they can get you a replacement free of charge for faulty merchandise.

I have no problem with my mono (now SNAIL, still getting used to that!) and if you have issues then you should get them replaced, sounds like a bad batch to me.

The dreamers of the day are dangerous people,For they dream their dreams with open eyes,And make them come true.- D.H. Lawrence

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-10-2004, 05:45 AM   #17  
Stampin' Fool

Default Me too!

I loved it until recently... nothing sticks... It is SO frustrating. I've been using Hermafix perm. It works great, but be warned.. when it sticks.. .it's stuck!

Vanessa
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-10-2004, 05:47 AM   #18  
Crimping Master

I'm having the same trouble with my mono, too. I just ran out and didn't want to make the trip to Michaels to get more, so I went to my local Wal-Mart and bought a very similar-looking brand called Adhesive Tech. I just used it this morning for the first time and you can't pull that sucker apart once it's glued! It is refillable, but for some reason my Wal-Mart carries the holder but not the refills. It has 275 inches of adhesive also. So I guess next time I go to a Super W-M I will be stocking up. And the price is right, too, at least for the holder -- less than $4.00. I don't know how much the refills are, though.

I am a demo, but I can't pay that much money (even with the discount) AND have to wait and wait for a product that won't hold.

Karen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-10-2004, 05:54 AM   #19  
Matboard Maniac

Well Ladies I just got off the line with Demo support and the gal told me she thinks it may be a bad batch and they are sending me another. But she told me she had the same thing happen and I told her that I had put this thread up on the site and several others were having problems as well. I told her that she will probably get a rush of calls on this item now. She said that if they do then they can try to fix it and take care of the problem.

So grab those phones ladies and burn up the SU support line :lol:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-10-2004, 06:17 AM   #20  
Hardware Hotshot

I have had the same same problems with mono. It just doesn't last. I have tried it several different times and it never held up. I don't think it is a bad batch...just a bad adhesive. I frequently host swaps. Much of the time when the swaps arrive here they are falling apart and I put them back together before swapping them out. When customers ask what I reccommend it is nothing we sell. I just cannot reccomend something that may not be TOP quality...because then they won't believe me when it the best.

Just my opinion.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-10-2004, 07:16 AM   #21  
Matboard Maniac

I totally agree and I doubt that it will hold any better,but i hope it does
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-10-2004, 08:28 AM   #22  
Hardware Hotshot

Let us know how this batch is?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-10-2004, 08:35 AM   #23  
Matboard Maniac

I will ..... It will probably get here faster than my winter mini though which I still have not gotten. :lol: But I should get my hope is.... set today yea!!
Reply With Quote Likes