Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 06-03-2004, 11:46 AM   #1  
Compulsive Stamper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default mono vs hermie ???

I have never used hermafix, but I LOVE mono.. Totally addicted to the stuff! What's the difference, besides the cost? I know it comes in little dots, but isn't the general purpous the same? Am I missing out on something fabulous, or should I stick to my mono?

Mommy to twins Kaydon and Kolton 2 1/2yrs and Weston 11
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-03-2004, 11:57 AM   #2  
Die Cut Diva

I have both. Hermafix is great if you are a perfectionist because if something isn't positioned just right you can pull it right up and re-apply without damaging a thing. But, even though it says it is permanent I don't feel like it has the staying power of mono. Mono is permanent and I love it!!! Once you've attached something it isn't going anywhere. Plus Mono refills are so easy to pop on and hermafix takes a little more work. Out of the two mono is what I pull out first every time!! So if you're happy with mono stick with it--you're not missing out on a thing!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-03-2004, 12:02 PM   #3  
Compulsive Stamper

Thanks, it's good to know. My dh will appreciate it too... less money out the door on adhesives!

Mommy to twins Kaydon and Kolton 2 1/2yrs and Weston 11
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-03-2004, 01:58 PM   #4  
Die Cut Diva

Default my preference

My favorie adhesive is called easy stick. SU doesn't carry it, but I wish they did. It is very inexpensive and it doesn't need to be refilled. I buy it at Wal-Mart in the office supplies area. It comes in a red container,and for scrapbookers it is rated "CK-OK" meaning Creating Keepsakes magazine certifies that it is archivally safe. You can get a 4 pack at Walmart for about 8.50.

It is as easy to use as the mono adhesive. Easier if you don't like to refill it. And it stays put unless you want to pull it off. You can restick your item.

That's just my two cents.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-03-2004, 02:01 PM   #5  
Dirty Dozen Alumni
SU Creative Crew Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I like the Hermafix transfer for certain things. It's great for putting signs on display boards because when you want to change the sign, it comes off and you can just rub off the dots where the sign was with your fingers.

I used to use it all the time for scrapbooking. Since scrapbook elements are usually not being hung vertically, the transfer works just fine. I have trouble even with mono if I am displaying cards...sooner or later it always pops loose, especially if there are any fibers running underneath the layers. But scrapbooks are displayed flat and when they are vertical, the pages are pressed up against each other.

My website/blog - JanTink.com
Facebook | JanTink
Etsy Store - JanTink

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-03-2004, 02:15 PM   #6  
Rubber Obsessor

I think the MonoAdhesive is great for making your cards, but when it comes to my scrapbooks I always use the hermafix. I will occasionally use the hermafix transfer if I am not sure about my layout-but then I will always use the hermafix vario tabs (one in each corner) after I have my layout as I like it. I have had the occasional problem with the MonoAdhesive coming undone and I do not wanting that happening in my scrapbooks-which will hopefully last forever.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-03-2004, 02:30 PM   #7  
Stazon Splitcoast

Default Adhesive

Jennie,
I can't really answer your question since I have only ever used CM tape runner since I started out scrappin'. At any rate - I was looking for a cheaper adhesive for my card making and saw a post here on SCS a while back. I thought you might like to see it if you decide to go with Mono adhesive. I personally just ordered some and can't wait to get it in so I can stop using my more expensive tape runner on my cards
So this is the discussion about the sale price of the Mono Adhesive:
Forums at Splitcoaststampers

Best of luck to you
Shelley
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-03-2004, 03:39 PM   #8  
Forum Fanatic

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

I agree with PurpleWinkle--Easy Stick from Walmart is the easiest to use, least expensive and works really well. I have had mono adhesive (old style) and gave it the "toss" --- it was especially nasty to use and always boogered up. Hermafix has several nice adhesives....thier "dots" in the roller is very nice for temporary adhesion (when you are planning a card and want to try out placement, etc.)...it also wors nice on vellum, and can be easily removed by rubbing or with soft eraser.[/img]
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-03-2004, 04:10 PM   #9  
Kookie Creator

Default mono versus hermie

I am planning on checking out the easy stick tomorrow. I really appreciate the info for sure. I love both mono and hermie but will try out this easy stick for sure. thank you so much for the information grammie
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-03-2004, 04:57 PM   #10  
Matboard Maniac

I really like the Hermafix "permanent" dots. I get it at Archivers. SU! only has the transfer kind. Don't like it. I did just get my shipment from Viking today. 14 REFILLS for my monos for $26. FREE shipping and I just ordered them last night at 7:30pm!!!! I'm really liking the monos now, but you have to roll slow!
http://home.mn.rr.com/fuehrers/index.html
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-03-2004, 05:42 PM   #11  
Matboard Maniac

I actually use both. I tend to use Mono when I make cards, but If I'm doing layouts for my scrapbook, I use Hermie. I don't know why, I just seem to like my Hermie better in my scrapbook. But it would be good if they were a little bit smaller. I tend to cut mine into fourths if I'm just matting or something and it holds just fine for me. As far as the repositional dots, I have that dispenser, but I tend to use it up sooooo soooo quick that it's not really worth the money to me.

wife to Michael, Mother to 3 beautiful girls-Jordan, Emery, & Leah
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-04-2004, 09:33 AM   #12  
Polyshrink Goddess

Default Mono vs. Hermafix

I wouldn't use anything but Hermafix in my scrapbooks, but I don't use it for anything else.

Viking is the absolute BEST for mono at discount... is there anywhere that sells Hermafix Transfer (the repositionable one we sell) at a terrific discount as well?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-04-2004, 10:04 AM   #13  
Rubber Obsessor

I've never tried the Hermafix. Ever since I tried the mono I've been hooked! People have offered to let me try their Hermafix so I can see if I like it (I think they were just trying to get rid of it). . .might be silly, but I won't even try it! Up until just right here I've only ever heard bad things about it.
Reply With Quote Likes