Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 01-04-2005, 12:00 PM   #1  
Matboard Maniac

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Most useful set for scrapbookers

Hi, I have two children and like to scrapbook, but have also "collected" several stamps (su and non-su). I want to phase out my sticker "collection" and use sticker paper and stamps. Also, use background stamps on solid cardstock to make my "own" designed paper. Any suggestions..I realize this is a really broad area and there are several sets that could be used. Just share your favorites you use. thanks in advance.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-07-2005, 03:18 AM   #2  
Stampin' Fool

Hi, I also recently transitioned for stickers to stamps. I have the "kids at play" set, and get alot of use from it. I have 4 grandchildren, so have utilized the set alot on their pages.

The best thing about the future is that it only comes one day at a time.
-Abraham Lincoln-
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-07-2005, 04:11 AM   #3  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

I like clean, simple scrapbooks like Becky Higgins/Creating Keepsakes, so I lean toward these type of stamps for my personal use. Everyone is different, which is why I love SU stamps...something for everyone!

My favorite for a single scrapbook is Shapes & Shadows. Very clean lines & has a simplicity about it.

I have also done a 6x6 scrapbook for a client using Watercolor Garden II. Her daughter was in a production of Annie and all the photos were from a professional the mom hired to shoot pics of her daughter during one of the shows.

I used the one-sheet wonder technique with this set, and used only the colors: ruby red, creamy caramel & old olive. Accenting ribbons, tags & solid cardstock only in those colors rounded out the entire scrapbook - 25 pages, 6x6. Took me 2-3 hours, working quickly, non-stop & without interruption. I housed the pages in a SU natural linen 6x6 album.

Like you said, I used clusters of the stamp images to create my background paper. This created a uniform look to the entire book.

Please upload what you do - can't wait to see what you create!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-07-2005, 04:46 AM   #4  
Embossing Fanatic

Default A Must Have!

I'm sure you've already realized this as well, but I know when I first switched from stickers to stamps the most astounding thing to me was that with an alphabet stamp set you never ran out of letters and you could make them any color you wanted to match your page...if by chance you haven't invested in an alphabet set yet, definitely do so!

Tracy

Wife to 1...
Mom to 2...
Stampin' 'til 3 in the morning!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-07-2005, 04:46 AM   #5  
Embossing Fanatic

Default A Must Have!

I'm sure you've already realized this as well, but I know when I first switched from stickers to stamps the most astounding thing to me was that with an alphabet stamp set you never ran out of letters and you could make them any color you wanted to match your page...if by chance you haven't invested in an alphabet set yet, definitely do so!

Tracy

Wife to 1...
Mom to 2...
Stampin' 'til 3 in the morning!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-07-2005, 05:36 AM   #6  
Kar
Gabfest Goddess

I agree a good Alphabet set that you love is a must, or maybe 2 or 3 if you can afford it. Otherwise I think the stamp sets depend on what you are using them for. I know I have used a wide variety of stamps on my pages depending on what the pictures were to go on the pages. I like Simple Shapes for some of my backgrounds, or else just a stamp set randomly stamped on the page to make a "designer" page!!
SCS member #735
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-07-2005, 05:37 AM   #7  
Mad Swapper

Another great investment is the brayer and the plaidmaker. This will give you lots of background papers. My favorite stamp sets for scrapbooking other than the obvious letter sets are:

Border Builders
Little Layers I & II (These are definitely my bestselling sets for scrapbookers!)
Crayon Kids
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-07-2005, 06:11 AM   #8  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Wheels, ALPHA SETS . . .

Personally, if I scrapped, I would gravitate to 2-step style images over open line designs. I would also avoid any images that are so tiny, that coloring in the details would frustate me.

If I scrapped for myself. I don't.

I DO create specially themed albums as gifts for family; when doing those, I usually select one stamp set (2 step) and a color palette and use it throughout the entire album. When I did this for my sister's new baby girl, I also included a notation that b & w photos would look awesome and there would be no worries about matching colors, etc. It turned out stunning. I wish now I'd taken photos of it . . .
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-07-2005, 07:06 AM   #9  
Stazon Splitcoast

I thought I'd jump on the alphabet bandwagon and recommend a good alphabet set as well. I use mine on almost every scrapbook page I make. Plus, now $5 of every alphabet sale will go toward Save the Children, so what a great time to invest in a set. Or two, or three!

Before I discovered stamping, I was a sticker gal too - I have such a HUGE sticker collection because I had to have a sticker for every occassion - now I hardly ever use them and it makes me a little sad! I just don't like the look of stickers with stamps on a lot of pieces. Oh well - but yes, definitely get an alpha set.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-07-2005, 07:21 AM   #10  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Definitely alphabet sets.

I have 12 or 13 different alpha sets and I have used every one of them! The day I discovered Stampin' Up! is the day I threw out all of my alphabet stickers forever!
Michelle Laycock ~ #499 ~
Laycock Designs
Product Designer for Our Daily Bread designs , North Coast Creations and Partner Companies
"They're only crayons. You didn't fear them in kindergarten, why fear them now?" ~ Hugh MacLeod
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-07-2005, 07:37 AM   #11  
Gallery Gazer

I also like to have a couple of stamp sets with solid images, especially if you are going with the craft ink with your scrapbooks! Then you can get a great look without as much effort (as the two stamping sets require), the craft ink dries slowly and yet it is fade resistant. I try really hard to use stamps that don't have to be colored in since I am unsure of markers and chalks longevity. Some of the frame sets have solid images with them and are perfect for scrapbooking! Good luck on choosing sets, I do think a couple of different styles of alphabets are a must, I would recommend a double alphabet to begin with!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-07-2005, 08:08 AM   #12  
Polyshrink Goddess

I have a friend who has the Crayon alphabet and she ha used it in her kids' scrapbooks. It is so cute, that now I HAVE to buy it for my own kids' scrapbooks. I never noticed the set until I saw it in her books. I still use a lot of alphabet stickers, but also many alphabet stamps. You will never have to worry about "how many 'e's do I have left in this color?" again!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-07-2005, 08:44 AM   #13  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would also add to the alpha bets..... everyday flexible phrases. It is super versitile and can be used to make little side tabs off the photos.

also, simple shapes and stipple celebrations are a great place to start.

I would reccomend contacting you demo and signing up. the kit alone will give you tons to start off with and Jan-feb are incredible times to sign up. you get 2 extra sets!
Reply With Quote Likes