Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 02-08-2006, 12:45 PM   #1  
Glitter Queen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mounted or Unmounted?

Hey everyone! I'm thinking of making the jump to unmounted and using ezmount w/acrylic blocks. Any opinions before I take it on?

Thanks,
Julie
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-08-2006, 05:25 PM   #2  
Compulsive Stamper

Default try poster tape

I am a big unmounted fan -- but I don't bother with ezmount or any of that cling stuff. Try poster tape, which is similar to clear double sided tape, but it's a little less tacky, and it will make it easier to remove your stamp from the acrylic block. You can buy both double sided tape or poster tape at Office Depot or Staples.

Put a layer of tape down on the acrylic block, slap your rubber stamp on there, and you're ready. When you're done stamping, rip off the stamp, and run it under the faucet to clean it. Easy. The only time you might need the extra cushion that ezmount provides is with very detailed stamps -- so I just stamp on top of a cushion, it works fine.

Go for it, unmounted is half the price! I store mine in 3 ring binders, using those clear holders (also can be found at OD or Staples) that are for slides, photos or trading cards.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-08-2006, 07:26 PM   #3  
Watercolor Wizard

Hi Julie ~ Funny you should mention this... I just spent the last 2 weeks unmounting all my Stampin Up stamp sets and remounting them to EZ Mount (all except my background stamps)... I haven't even tackled my older wood CTMH sets... yet! I'm really happy that I went unmounted...

I use to be totally against the acrylic handles/blocks... I was an unmounted snob! I didn�t care for them�they weren�t comfortable to stamp with. I was all for wood. Then I found some from Stampedous that I really liked and that's when I decided to go unmounted.

I now store mine a cd jewel case... I just love how they take up less space, not that I had a problem with storage issues before... I'm just nuts about having everything looking neat.

Just a tip... make sure you have some Goo-Gone.. you'll be cleaning your scissors quite frequently, and Goo-Gone works great!

I was able to get my EZ Mount from the Clickit Shop (an ebay store)...they have great prices.

http://stores.ebay.com/the-Clickit-Shop

I took 14 sheets of EZM to remount my SU sets! I say go for it
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-08-2006, 07:53 PM   #4  
Stazon Splitcoast

I use Liz' method of poster tape with any of my unmounted stamps. I would STRONGLY, STRONGLY STRONGLY suggest though, that you only unmount some, not anywhere near ALL of your stamps and test the waters first. Too many gals I know have been frustrated with the whole unmounted procedure and coulda kicked themselves for going whole hog without trying it out first.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-09-2006, 05:54 AM   #5  
Hardware Hotshot

i have not tried the unmounted method yet ... i still mout all mine and most of the stamps i do have are stampinup...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-09-2006, 08:30 AM   #6  
Hardware Hotshot

Love the unmounted stuff. Wish SU would go to that.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-09-2006, 08:58 AM   #7  
Polyshrink Goddess

Julie,

I used to be one of those stampers that thought wood mounted should be the only way until my friend, Pam, got me hooked onto The Angel Company stamps. I love unmounted stamps and how you can line them up just the way that you need to. I haven't unmounted any of my SU stamp sets that I already have (too much work for me) but I put all of my new stamps on ez-mount cushion and it takes up very little room as I store them in the cd jewel cases too.

Good luck on your decision!
Carla
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-09-2006, 09:04 AM   #8  
Stampin' Fool

I love unmounted. I have used Aleene's Tack-It Over & Over Glue on mine. It is great, no cushions or tape to worry about. I have unmounted some of mine, and don't regret it at all. I like SU styles better, but I love how the CTMH unmounted are clear. It is great for the 2 step stamps, and I never need to use my stamp positioner on them on mine.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-10-2006, 12:17 AM   #9  
Stazon Splitcoast

Hi Ladies,
My only concern would be the resale value of your stamps. I don't know that I would be happy to buy SU stamps if they were unmounted. If you never intend to sell your stamps, then there is no issue.
I have lots of unmounted stamps that I love, but they are clear acrylic and then the design is obvious. I don't like unmounted rubber, I must be honest, where I have to think which way up the design goes all the time. I have a few sets, but they are my least favorite to use.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-10-2006, 12:50 AM   #10  
Insane Embellisher

I have some unmounted stamps that I use. Non are SU! I really only prefer to use unmounted if they are clear acrylic. I would worry about the resale value of your SU! stamps if they are unmounted and you don't have the wood blocks to fix it. I saw some lady on eBay sell a bunch of her unmounted no blocks and was getting next to nothing for her stamps.

For some of my unmounted, I have used the Tacky glue that is repositionable and it stays on the CDs. I like this better than using double stick tape and having to take the tape off all the time.

And yes, like Betsy said, I would only unmount some of the stamps to test the waters first.

Vicki
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-10-2006, 06:16 PM   #11  
Polyshrink Goddess

I loved the idea of easy storage unmounted stamps with the acrylics but I found they move and don't always stay on. The problems that you have with window clings are the same for UMw/acrylics. Each process has it's own draw backs I would first try a stamp set that you will use alot and see how you like it then if you don't like it you haven't wasted money on a bunch of stamp sets you now don't want to use because of how their mounted.

Sharon
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-11-2006, 06:38 AM   #12  
Cardstock Collector

I also am a huge fan of Unmounted stamps. I have very limited storage space and the CD jewel cases are very space friendlty. I use the easy mount system. I had never heard of the poster tape..will have to give it a try.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-12-2006, 06:43 PM   #13  
Polyshrink Goddess

I just cut my stamps and use the double-sided tape. If I decide to sell them, I'll send them with the wood blocks so they can mount there whereever they want... they'll just be trimmed.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-13-2006, 03:42 AM   #14  
Matboard Maniac

I am just starting to do the unmounting. I've decided that I will only unmount sets that need to be lined up correctly (alphabets, 2-step stampin, Cold Play [so I can correctly place the face and such on the snowman], etc). I really like the EZ mount. I use my alphabet sets a ton now that I can line the words up on a clear block and stamp them all at once. As far as resale, I keep the case and the wood blocks. I feel that EZ mount looks almost identical to the cushion on SU stamps anyway. If I were to sell my sets I would just include the case and blocks and the buyer could glue them to the blocks. Good as new. HTH.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2006, 02:26 PM   #15  
Proud Fan Club Member
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Lightbulb

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tanira
I loved the idea of easy storage unmounted stamps with the acrylics but I found they move and don't always stay on. The problems that you have with window clings are the same for UMw/acrylics. Each process has it's own draw backs I would first try a stamp set that you will use alot and see how you like it then if you don't like it you haven't wasted money on a bunch of stamp sets you now don't want to use because of how their mounted.

Sharon

Having problems with your Cling foam not sticking?

Well try this: soapy water and let them air dry.

Sometimes the sticky side get's little dirty from lint, (pet hair) and dust.
I have stamps that use the ez-mount systems and this is what I do with mine.
I have a stamp set from 2000 and it is still sticky.

The cling sheets I have a few stamps that I have used with the cling sheets and I really don't like them, Unmounted stamps work better with a little foam on them. this is my opinion only!
Cling sheets are good for only one thing in my book.
They are great to use in your windows!

Spoiler

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2006, 02:45 PM   #16  
Pearl-ExPert

I unmounted all of my stamps last fall and have never regretted it. I use Aleene's tack it over & over. The only problem I have had with this is when I made my own stamp cleaner that contained glycerin - it made some of them lose their stickiness. I've found the Aleene's to be very economical too.

Also, I can now easily organize and store all of my stamps. When I go to a crop I usually make up page kits but if I'm in the mood to just play at the crop I can easily grab my binders and have all of my stamps. Currently I store them in 3 ring binders but I am considering moving them all into my ScrapRack.
Reply With Quote Likes