Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 02-19-2016, 12:00 PM   #1  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My modifications to Jennefer McGuire Die storage

I could not use the Fridge Binz because I need to stack mine in a closet. I have no shelf to set them on .

So I found Really Useful Boxes that are large enough to will hold the dies . 9 Litre XL . I got them at Office Depot but I don't see them on their site
Dimensions
External: 151⁄4" x 93⁄4" x 73⁄4"
Internal: 131⁄2" x 81⁄2" x 71⁄4"
(length x width x depth in inches)

Then the Avery Elle pockets are a bit pricey so I found these on Amazon . They are exactly like the Avery Elle pockets

http://www.amazon.com/Clear-Plastic-Sleeves-Awork-Micron/dp/B00RU9ALWQ/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1455914884&sr=8-5&keywords=clear+dvd+sleeves

I wanted to use chip board in the sleeves with the magnetic sheets that I have , but that was too expensive so I found Bristol Board on sale at Michaels with $2.95 shipping I bought the 11"x 14" size because I can cut 4 5"x7" sections from one sheet .

Canson� XL� Recycled Bristol Pad

Michaels has a $1.95 shipping until Saturday .

5 of these sleeves with a Bristol Board backing, magnetic sheet and the dies inside uses the equivalent of the space occupied by 1 plastic DVD case

All my dies will be stored in 20% of the current space
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-19-2016, 01:57 PM   #2  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 737 Likes on 358 Posts

I am doing the exact same thing...riffing off her storage idea!

But I have shelves so I am using plastic shoe boxes.

It was what to use as the support I was asking about the other day in sourcing cardboard. If you look at that thread, there is an Amazon link for 12 x 12 chipboard for a good price I was given, compared to what I just paid for 8 1/2 x 11 at my LSS. I am only using the magnetic if I have multiple pieces to the die. If it is a cover card size, I just want the support.

Isnt Bristol watercolor paper? Will that be stiff enough for you? I am afraid of dropping them as I drop things often and bending the die.

I just went to my local Blick art store...they have big sheets for 4.50=5.50ish but there are different weights. I have to stop on the project right now so that gives me some time to think while I use what I have.

I have been re-using the thin plastic packaging stuff comes in-both dies and stamps that I have been saving up, knowing this was coming. I do have some of the Avery Elle. I will be interested to hear if the ones you found hold up over time. The Avery dont say how many microns thick they are so I cant compare.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-19-2016, 02:21 PM   #3  
Hardware Hotshot

Bristol Board is stiffer than watercolor paper .
The Bristol board I bought is as stiff as the light weight chip board I bought at Office Depot. It says it is 96 # , but it feels heavier than that . I had magnetic sheets in all of my CD/DVD cases so I am just transferring those to the Bristol board .
I don't know how the DVD sleeves will wear over time , but I figure if I have to replace a couple of them I am still way ahead by using the ones I bought. 200 for $13.99 and free shipping vs 25 for $8.99 plus shipping for Avery Elle .

The storage space saved is significant . 20 dies in the sleeves with bristol board and magnetic sheets occupies 1 & �" of space . 20 dies in the plastic DVD cases occupies 9" of space
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-19-2016, 03:15 PM   #4  
Pearl-ExPert

Barbara -- I would love to see a photo if you are able to share.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-19-2016, 04:59 PM   #5  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 296 Likes on 115 Posts

I don't know how cereal boxes and such compare weight-wise to Bristol, but that's a free source... I use them for lots of things...

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-19-2016, 07:10 PM   #6  
Stazon Splitcoast

I would need to eat a lot of cereal!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-19-2016, 09:10 PM   #7  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 296 Likes on 115 Posts

You've got that right, Amber! You and the whole neighborhood would have to contribute their cookie, cracker, cereal, pasta and whatever other boxes they could come up with! Your current system seems to be working fine for you, though. ;)

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-20-2016, 05:59 AM   #8  
Glitter Guru

Received 373 Likes on 222 Posts

Thanks for sharing! BTW, Ritz cracker boxes are the best!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-20-2016, 07:21 AM   #9  
Die Cut Diva

I'm just curious about the ritz cracker box. We have them all the time would love to know how those one are better;)

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScrapjannyView Post
Thanks for sharing! BTW, Ritz cracker boxes are the best!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-20-2016, 07:31 AM   #10  
Hardware Hotshot

I save cereal /cracker box chipboard too, but I generally eat Oatmeal so my stash of flat material is small.

I found a solution for the category dividers. A few years ago I bought a package of Ellen Hutson's "Craft-a-Board ". It is like very stiff chipboard, but much easier to cut. It does not bend. I have 10 sheets left

I will trim and cut those in 1/2 and use them as dividers. My package was bought when she offer them in 9" x 13 & 1/2" sheets so half of the length will be 6 & 3/4" high and just right. These will produce 20 dividers and I don't have 20 categories now , but I will have a few extra if I need more categories

The stiff category dividers will also support the sleeves with the dies

I am not finished but I don't think the box will be completely full so I have a 5" high metal book end to put in the box to keep the sleeves from falling over and bending

http://www.officedepot.com/a/product...my-Bookends-5/
Barbara

Last edited by Barbara Jay; 02-20-2016 at 07:39 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-20-2016, 08:36 AM   #11  
Die Cut Diva

I made a book for my dies with sticky back magnets on chipboard pieces I had saved from the back of water colors paper pads and things like that. I have a cinch binding tool that I started using and even though its a little heavy it still well as abook on my shelf.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-20-2016, 01:27 PM   #12  
Proud Fan Club Member

Oh I get it-Bristol board...I think there is also a kind of WC paper by that name-either a type or brand. Sorry.

I just realized-the dims on your boxes change quite a bit on the interior. Almost 2 inches shorter in length? Really thick walls?

Yes-that price is kickin for sure! I wish you had both so you could tell us how they feel in comparison.

For the dividers I took the cheap 3/buck plastic cutting boards and cut them down to size, including shaping a tab that I just put a label on. They cut with regular scissors.

They are not stiff at all so no support-just cheap. I think with the tab I made them 7 1/2 inches tall x 6 wide? You could get them in colors if you wanted.

Gee-Are your dies all small? I cant fit 20 in a sleeve...maybe 10 med-small and that would be really small. Although what I might do is if I have a cover die in the same topic I will just slide that in the back of the sheet in it's orig envie (ie Memory Box). The DVD sleeves dont look that much bigger than the avery ones...I am intrigued! Are you only on one side or doing mag front and back on the board? I am only on one side.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-20-2016, 01:39 PM   #13  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by wavejumperView Post
Oh I get it-Bristol board...I think there is also a kind of WC paper by that name-either a type or brand. Sorry.

I just realized-the dims on your boxes change quite a bit on the interior. Almost 2 inches shorter in length? Really thick walls? The top is longer and wider than the bottom

Gee-Are your dies all small? I cant fit 20 in a sleeve...maybe 10 med-small and that would be really small. Although what I might do is if I have a cover die in the same topic I will just slide that in the back of the sheet in it's orig envie (ie Memory Box). The DVD sleeves dont look that much bigger than the avery ones...I am intrigued! Are you only on one side or doing mag front and back on the board? I am only on one side.
-My die sets are all in INDIVIDUAL SLEEVES with a piece of Bristol Board and a magnetic sheet in each sleeve with the die set -Each die set has a separate sleeve - 20 SLEEVES occupies 1 & �" of space when they are standing up in the box .

When the die sets were in individual plastic DVD cases 20 DVD cases standing up in the box needed 9" of space . I am measuring across the tops of the sleeves or DVD cases standing up in the box

Last edited by Barbara Jay; 02-20-2016 at 01:42 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-20-2016, 01:53 PM   #14  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Oh I get it-Bristol board.
Yes-that price is kickin for sure! I wish you had both so you could tell us how they feel in comparison.

The sleeves I am using are the same dimensions as the Avery Elle. Mine are 7� each (200 for $13.99 free shipping) the Avery Elle would be 55� each (25 for 8.99 and $5 shipping) .
I don't know if mine are the same thickness as Avery Elle, but for that price difference I don't care if I need to replace any of them that wear out .
Barbara
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-20-2016, 02:30 PM   #15  
Proud Fan Club Member

Wow. Apparently I am not wearing my brain today. Sorry again Barbara. :oops:

I know when I have a bunch of small dies all of one topic, I will put them on one 5 x 7 board to save space. That's where my mind was.

I get that at that price who cares if you have to replace one...I am just curious how they compare.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-20-2016, 03:50 PM   #16  
Hardware Hotshot

wavejumper : Are you using the real Avery Elle pockets ? If so I will mail one of mine to you for you to compare . Or if someone else is using the Avery Elle pockets I can mail them one of mine to compare. I can fold it so it fits in a #10 envelope and it would mail for 1 stamp
Let me know
Barbara
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-20-2016, 05:07 PM   #17  
Proud Fan Club Member

I have some. We could trade if you want so you can see too. PM me!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-20-2016, 05:17 PM   #18  
Hardware Hotshot

Considering the price for the Avery Elle pockets are so much more expensive than mine I will stay with mine. I will gladly mail one to you to compare. Send me your address .
Then you can post to the group your comparison of the two pockets
Barbara
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-20-2016, 05:21 PM   #19  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2busyscrappinView Post
I'm just curious about the ritz cracker box. We have them all the time would love to know how those one are better;)
I should have said the LARGE box of Ritz crackers. It's the one that is sold at BJ's: Nabisco Ritz Crackers, 3.4 Oz. - 10-Pk - BJs Wholesale Club

The cardboard is very heavy and sturdier than most other cardboard boxes.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-26-2016, 11:27 AM   #20  
Insane Embellisher

I have been using 5.5 x 8.5 page protectors.
Love it when everyone shares.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-26-2016, 12:35 PM   #21  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Originally Posted by PinkKittyView Post
I have been using 5.5 x 8.5 page protectors.
Love it when everyone shares.
I use those for the larger sets! I just cut apart page protectors with two 5.5 x 8.5 on each one so that I could store my larger stamp sets in them. I bought the sleeves recommended by Barbara Jay, and they are great! They are not quite as crystal clear as the Avery Elle; however, you can't tell the difference when the stamps are in them.

The price difference is incredible, and the quality is excellent. I highly recommend them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-26-2016, 01:18 PM   #22  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScrapjannyView Post
I use those for the larger sets! I just cut apart page protectors with two 5.5 x 8.5 on each one so that I could store my larger stamp sets in them. I bought the sleeves recommended by Barbara Jay, and they are great! They are not quite as crystal clear as the Avery Elle; however, you can't tell the difference when the stamps are in them.

The price difference is incredible, and the quality is excellent. I highly recommend them.
Jeanette thanks for posting the comparison. Some asked me how the ones I bought compare to Avery Elle pockets and since I don't have any Avery Elle I could not share a comparison .
Yes the price difference is enormous .The ones i found are 200 for $14 --200 Avery Elle would be $72 without shipping .

I bought Comic Book sleeves for my larger stamps and folded over the top
and secured with a little piece of scotch tape

http://www.amazon.com/Ultra-Resealable-Current-Size-Comic/dp/B002QGAF8S/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1456524590&sr=8-1&keywords=comic+book+sleeves
Now I found something for my long Spellbinder dies. I have border and accent dies that are nearly 8" long . I found some 5" x 12" plastic bags at Clear Bags and the long dies will fit in those. Right now I have magnetic strips on the Spellbinder backing board so I can just slip those in the new bags and toss the hard plastic packaging.

5" x 12" Flat Heat Seal Bags 1.2mil (100 Pieces) [SFB512] - Flat Heat Seal Bags - Food Safe Bags - Bags

I will have enough of these for a lifetime :lol::lol: But--- I am sure I will find a use of them

Last edited by Barbara Jay; 02-26-2016 at 01:24 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2016, 09:03 PM   #23  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barbara JayView Post

Amazon.com : Ultra Pro Resealable Current Size Comic Bags (Pack of 100) : Comic Book Bags Resealable : Sports & Outdoors

Now I found something for my long Spellbinder dies. I have border and accent dies that are nearly 8" long . I found some 5" x 12" plastic bags at Clear Bags and the long dies will fit in those. Right now I have magnetic strips on the Spellbinder backing board so I can just slip those in the new bags and toss the hard plastic packaging.

5" x 12" Flat Heat Seal Bags 1.2mil (100 Pieces) [SFB512] - Flat Heat Seal Bags - Food Safe Bags - Bags
I received the 5" x 12" heat seal bags. The long dies fit in those, but the bags are flimsy cellophane . I believe they were meant for one time use for food items .
I only want a bag or pocket to insure the small dies don't fall out. In hind sight buying a roll of bags the width I need and making the bags with a Food Saver would have been more practical .

I am amazed at the amount of space this system frees up. The majority of my dies are Spellbinders and up until recently they came in hard plastic packaging. The depth of the packages are 1/8" to 1/4" deeper than the die.
Those seem like small amounts but they really add up .
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-05-2016, 01:17 PM   #24  
Proud Fan Club Member

There's a good excuse to be eating a lot of crackers! LOLOL (like I need one)

Sorry the latest size didnt work out. I have a couple of 12 inch dies from when I didnt know WTH I was doing when ordering...right now I just stick them between the die boxes.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-05-2016, 01:42 PM   #25  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

There's a good excuse to be eating a lot of crackers! LOLOL (like I need one)

Sorry the latest size didnt work out. I have a couple of 12 inch dies from when I didnt know WTH I was doing when ordering...right now I just stick them between the die boxes.
:lol::lol: I have one 12" border die too that will need to sit "next to" the storage box. I don't want to get rid of the 12" die because I have made strips with it to go around votive glasses for candles . It is nice to be able to decorate the votive holders in a color to match the table dec.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-06-2016, 07:08 AM   #26  
Crimping Master

Thank you for the link to the clear plastic DVD sleeves - love how much space they save. my questions is what do you all do with the Stampin Up DVD cases?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-09-2016, 06:43 AM   #27  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by domesticdivaView Post
Thank you for the link to the clear plastic DVD sleeves - love how much space they save. my questions is what do you all do with the Stampin Up DVD cases?
When I'm done with my reorganization, I'll sell or give away my cases that are left. I've started sorting through my sets as I change their storage method. (I have a lot of stamps in the full size Unikeep binders - so I'll need to sell those too.) The sets I'm getting rid of, I have been putting each one in a SU DVD stamp case. This gets rid of cases and makes them easier to try and sell.
My Stampin' Up! site

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-09-2016, 12:56 PM   #28  
SCS RAK Coordinator

Received 55 Likes on 36 Posts

Quote:

I just realized-the dims on your boxes change quite a bit on the interior. Almost 2 inches shorter in length? Really thick walls?
The really useful boxes have quite a wide brim/lip around the top edge plus the thickness of the lid, so it does add quite a bit to all the internal measurements (the bigger the box the larger the lip). However, they are much sturdier than a lot of the plastic storage bins. Also, the sides/corners are all square (90 degree angles, no sloping). That can be a plus or a minus depending on what is being stored inside.

Plus I love the purple color, when I can get it. It drives me crazy that they carry the transparent purple in the sizes I want in the UK but won't ship them to the US.

4 out of 3 people have problems with fractions.

My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-09-2016, 02:19 PM   #29  
Proud Fan Club Member

Obviously those dies were meant for scrapbookers. I can cut apart the cuts though to fit on a card...and actually get a bunch of them done at one time.

Around a candle...that's a great idea!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-09-2016, 08:00 PM   #30  
Polyshrink Goddess

First I bought several Avery Elle packages - but kept running out so then I also found the DVDs sleeves on Amazon. Same sturdiness and much cheaper

Also recently bought these boards and they will work well in the pockets too if anyone is interested.
http://www.amazon.com/Ultra-Magazine-Size-Boards-Pack/dp/B002R45BB0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1457585868&sr=8-1&keywords=Magazine+board
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-09-2016, 08:44 PM   #31  
Glitter Guru

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

I received the 5" x 12" heat seal bags. The long dies fit in those, but the bags are flimsy cellophane . I believe they were meant for one time use for food items .
I only want a bag or pocket to insure the small dies don't fall out. In hind sight buying a roll of bags the width I need and making the bags with a Food Saver would have been more practical .
Clearbags has poly tubing (long�narrow bags) that would work for long�narrow dies. The tubing is generally thinner than their heavy poly zipper bags. Some sizes come in an "endless" tube that you can seal yourself (Fuse, FoodSaver, or ?) to make a variety lengths from one roll.

I use a lot of Clearbags products. I can usually find any dimension I need, and Clearbags will send a couple different samples beforehand if I'm mot sure. I'm very happy with their products and service.

There's a sale going on now:
Spring is around the corner!
Save 10% on Handle Bags, Poly Bags, and more.

Use Promo Code:
MARCH16
Sale Ends March 31st

Last edited by TheOtherMeg; 03-09-2016 at 08:49 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-13-2016, 09:40 PM   #32  
Glitter Guru

My DVD sleeves arrived Saturday and I'm so happy. They are EXACTLY the same as the large sleeves I recently purchased from Simon Says Stamp, but the DVD sleeves on Amazon are a fraction of the SSS price.

The SSS sleeves are $12/50 plus shipping (and tax for me since I'm in the same state as SSS).

The Amazon $14/200 sleeves are a BARGAIN!!! After comparing them to the SSS sleeves, I immediately went online and ordered more from Amazon.

Thank you so much for sharing your info and the link, Barbara Jay!

Regarding long, narrow bags, I experimented with my WRMK Fuse and some gallon and 2-gallon ziplock baggies and now have some custom ziplock bags at a very reasonable cost. I'm happy to have another reason to justify buying the Fuse. lol
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-14-2016, 01:42 PM   #33  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Do the cling stamps cling to the coated side of the magazine boards? If so, these may be just what I need!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by CopperkidsView Post
First I bought several Avery Elle packages - but kept running out so then I also found the DVDs sleeves on Amazon. Same sturdiness and much cheaper

Also recently bought these boards and they will work well in the pockets too if anyone is interested.
Amazon.com : Ultra Pro Magazine Size Boards (Pack of 100) : General Use Sports Bags : Sports & Outdoors
My Stampin' Up! site

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-15-2016, 05:51 AM   #34  
Glitter Queen

An inexpensive magnetic alternative can be found at lowes or Home Depot. You can get 5 magnetic sheets I think 15 x 8 inches, 5 sheets to a pack for around 4 dollars. They work well in the Avery pockets, easy to cut and use
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-15-2016, 06:11 AM   #35  
Stampin' Fool

I found magnetic vent covers at the dollar store. I can cut 3 from eah to fit the pockets.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-15-2016, 07:33 AM   #36  
Matboard Maniac

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Modification success!

Jen Mc and all of you have inspired me! I ordered the 200/$13.99 Amazon envelopes and found them to be the same as my Avery Elle ones. It has taken me in excess of ten hours time but all my unmounted stamps are moved from the CD cases, DVD cases, "free range areas", and uline binder cases where they accumulated! The unmounted ( oh, many more than I had realized) stamps are in the clear envelopes. I used most of the 200 envelopes with cheap white card stock and poly transparencies inside each. For the file dividers I used a great frosted translucent plastic sold as flexible cutting mats at the Dollar Tree- two 11"x 14" sheets/ $1. My total cost for the storage conversion was $25.
Now they are stored with the long side down in a drawer of my salvaged metal pattern cabinet. Saved me $30-$50 on fridge bins by using what was already in my studio. I am ecstatic and find I am using my unmounted stamps so much more because I can so easily see, sort, and find what I have!
Thank you all for your shared ideas. I neither could nor would have attempted this project without the super supporters of SCS. The best stamper folk in the world are found right here!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-18-2016, 05:50 AM   #37  
Glitter Guru

On a related note, I also purchased a huge roll of flexible magnet material (like the vent magnet sheets) on Amazon. It was so much cheaper than buying precut squares or even the packs from Oriental Trading Co (currently out of stock) and cutting my own. The dies stick to the magnet quite well. It's going to be perfect, and there will be less waste when using a small piece to hold 2-3 dies in the storage envelope because I can cut just the size I need. I've already used a bunch and my kids used some for a school project. Very handy to have around!

Magnum Magnetic 24"x10 feet .30mil Super Strong Flexible Material

$36.70 (free Prime shipping) for 20 square feet of magnetic sheeting. It's not super duper magnetic, which is good because I don't want to have to bend the dies to get them off the magnet. It won't hold anything heavy, but it holds dies in place and they don't fall off or even move around. Perfect for this job.

FYI This is NOT adhesive on one side. It has very nice white coating on which one can apply vinyl or print a logo or whatever (even apply an adhesive).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-18-2016, 06:46 AM   #38  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 490 Likes on 308 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by purpleflowersView Post
The really useful boxes have quite a wide brim/lip around the top edge plus the thickness of the lid, so it does add quite a bit to all the internal measurements (the bigger the box the larger the lip). However, they are much sturdier than a lot of the plastic storage bins. Also, the sides/corners are all square (90 degree angles, no sloping). That can be a plus or a minus depending on what is being stored inside.

Plus I love the purple color, when I can get it. It drives me crazy that they carry the transparent purple in the sizes I want in the UK but won't ship them to the US.
Kerry,,,my STaples carries the blue and purple ones most of the time....Like you I love those really useful boxes....I have most of my stamping odds and ends, all my embellishments and all my photography teaching items in them..Love how they stack, have room for labels and are strong.

Card Sketch Challenge 1-227 done only 396+ to go to be caught up!!!!!

-90 and sweating

Reply With Quote Likes