Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 01-26-2005, 06:01 AM   #1  
Embossing Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NEED HELP....

Hi everyone! I need help and didn't know who to ask. I figured someone could help me. I made Christmas cards for the people I work for. One for the clients that recieved them just loved them (I used the Loads of Love stamp set). Anyway, she called me and is interested in seeing some of my sample cards. Her daughter is turning 50 and they are having a suprise party for her in March. SO, I have several questions because I have never sold any of this.

HOw much do you think I should charge? They are saying they will need like 60 invites.

Also, she wants to see samples and I want to make some cards that would kind of be what she wanted. SHe has no color preference right now, and they really haven't thought about anything. I just don't know. I am sitting here trying to come up with something and didn't know if anyone had suggestions or if a certain fancy (but not to detailed) card sticks out to you that you would share.

IF you can help please do so!! Thanks so much! I am bringing her my sample cards Friday morning so I really need to be working on them the next 2 days. If anyone would like to see the card that she loved so much I can send that to someone as well.

Thanks so much!
Jill
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-26-2005, 06:36 AM   #2  
Crimping Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd check out the gallery for inspiration.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-26-2005, 06:50 AM   #3  
Matboard Maniac

I just recently had the same question asked but for a bride's dinner invitation. I looked through the gallery as well as the samples I have laying around, and then went through the catalog. I have a few ideas now to share with the woman. Now I guess I just need to order the stamp sets.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-26-2005, 06:54 AM   #4  
Embossing Fanatic

Default Good idea

See, that is a good idea. The thing I am worried about is that I won't be there to talk to her. She wants me to drop the samples off on Friday morning and she will meet with her other daughter to look at them Monday night. So I won't be there. I told her I could be and she didn't want me to go through too much trouble. SO, I guess that is why I am panicing because if they like something just not the color or have a different idea in mind and I need another stamp set I don't know if they will tell me. Do you think I should just tell her that I want to be there so I can explain things?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-26-2005, 06:59 AM   #5  
Mad Swapper

I would definitely explain to her that you want to make her what she wants and that the best way
to do that is to talk face to face. that way you can be sure that nothing is getting lost in translation.
Just assure her that it is no problem for you and is in fact in everyone's best interest.

We're adults. When did that happen? And how do we make it stop? ~ Dr. Meredith Grey, Grey's Anatomy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-26-2005, 07:03 AM   #6  
Polyshrink Goddess

One idea for an invitation is to put a childhood picture on the front of the card. you can use the frames and stamp around, or you could put the pic on the inside and have a pretty front.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-26-2005, 07:04 AM   #7  
Matboard Maniac

I have done cards for people before and it isn't he easiest thing to price. Of course charge for any supplies used and then depending on teh difficulty charge per card. The first set I did I just doubled the amount of the supplies. Figuring I had the supplies covered nad then the extra for my time...on a very simple card this might work, but if you are doing a time consuming technique you might reconsider this. Make sure you include the price of envelopes in this as well.
ALSO, be sure you get half down as a minimum....important as I have one gal that still hasn't paid her other half. it has been 6 months and I am getting ready to send out a certified letter to her. It's only $45 but that is still $45!!!! For her I had done 40 wedding invitations with a personalized stamp that they could keep. It was about $88.00 and after not getting my money all this time I wonder if it was worth it at all.
There are some wonderful samples in the gallery though. Irecently saw one that uses the Shimmery White and gold cardstock and the pear from all natural that is very simple and very stunning!
Jenn
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-26-2005, 07:08 AM   #8  
Embossing Fanatic

Thanks for all the ideas. I might call her back this afternoon and see if I could just meet with them. Then I can ask what they think of the picture idea. I think that would be so nice. I also light that idea with gold and white. I haven't thoguht of any of these things. Thanks so much!

The price thing is what is bugging me. I was thinking if I used materials that I had (stamp set and colors). Then the only expense I would have would be envelopes and paper. I was thinking of charging per card. I mean they are the people that would go get something personailized and spend $3-4 per card, so I didn't know if I should go from that and charge 1-2 per card. It's so hard to say. I don't want to under charge but I don't want to over charge.

Any more suggestions? Thanks so much....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-26-2005, 07:10 AM   #9  
Kookie Creator

I used the All Wrapped up Set with Accesories and had the jar tilted on it's side with jelly beans spilling out. I used crystal effects to make the beans pop out. You could print out on your computer "Don't Spill The Beans" tag and use ribbon to make it look like it is wrapped around the mouth of the jar. Just an idea.
I make lots of cards for my step mom. She is in Real Estate and I make her customer appresiation cards, etc.... She makes up little baskets or sometiems paint cans and I make pre-printed WE've Moved cards that are cutomized with her clients name and new address already printed inside along with some cello bag with chocolate and a topper. I charge anywhere from $1.50 - $2.50 a card depending on how elabrate they are!!! Hope this helps!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-26-2005, 07:24 AM   #10  
Embossing Fanatic

Default Don't spill the beans

That sounds like an awesome idea! thanks so much! I don't have that stamp set but I am going to see if I can find it locally really quick just to make a sample for her. That sounds like the funniest one yet. I don't know how to do crystal effect, but I know a lot of stampin up demos so hopefully someone could help me. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-26-2005, 07:42 AM   #11  
Matboard Maniac

Location: I'm a member of the divine secret sister witness protection program!

I have done this many times for people. Not all of my creations are stamped, so I haven't felt like I could put them in the gallery. Dang.. that gallery... I still haven't started it. But back to the original question... I created invitations for my mom's 50 party last year. Of course, since my dear dad was paying I didn't charge him for my time, not to mention that would cut into my party budget. Now, I made some invitiations for a function here at work last week. They were not stamped, but had 1/2 a piece of black cs, 4 black eyelets, vellum (I printed on the vellum with a laser printer), and 3 large gold vellum stars (hand cut, cause I haven't justified the die cutter, YET), I charged them $2.50 for each one. I think I could have charged them more, but the card was so simplictic that I didn't want to them to think they were being over charged. For both occassions, I tried to get an idea of what they were thinking for party decorations, then took it from there. Even if they are just at colors, it's a huge starting place to help you.

Hope that helps...sorry it's so long.
SCS member #16986
Reply With Quote Likes