Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 12-22-2004, 06:28 AM   #1  
Die Cut Diva

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help choosing Level 2 Hostess set!

I have my $300 order all ready to place on January 1 for my SAB sets. However, I'm torn as to which Level 2 Hostess set to get. I NEED YOUR HELP! Here are my thoughts so far:

* Don't really like Sweet of You... have too many others like this
* Don't really like Little Layers Plus.
* Like the cards I've seen with Suitable for Framing, but I'm afraid this set requires too much marker work... don't want to have to color each square every time I pull the set out.

I am currently wobbling between Flower Garden and Botanical Garden. I don't have many realistic flower sets, and I like the look of both these sets. I'm a little worried that I won't be able to provide good shading or coloring for Flower Garden, and I really like the look of coloring your paper then stamping or embossing Botanical Garden over the color, but I'm afraid the set is more limiting with only three stamps.

What do you think? Do you have a Level 2 set that you love? Do you have one you hate? Oh... the decisions! I look forward to any input you might have. Also, for demos, I appreciate your business savvy as far as which set is more likely to make it to the catalog or be more demonstratable while it's around.

THANKS!

After 11 years as a demo, guess I'm not so"new" anymore!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-22-2004, 06:36 AM   #2  
Rubber Obsessor

Default Level 2 stamp

I LOVE Little Layers Plus. But then I love the first two as well. I think it is a very versitle set. Lots of different cards you can make because there are so many different themes. Plus I love the back ground stamps.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-22-2004, 06:37 AM   #3  
Polyshrink Goddess

I'm not much help because I like the Little Layers Plus, then Suitable for Framing would be my second choice. You could always mount them "separately" on the wood blocks and do a masking technique of sorts...I guess? I'm not really sure how it would work out.

Out of the 2 flower choices, I like the Botanical Garden because I really like the look of the stamps that leave the "image" uncolored, then the rest of the stamp is colored...looks cool to me!

See, not much help, but I tried! Oh, and we are going to be new demos together next month!

I'm curious what's on that $300 order you are going to place!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-22-2004, 06:38 AM   #4  
Gallery Gazer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have Botanical Garden, and I love it. It's easy to make a quick card that looks really wonderful.
There are 10 kinds of people in the world: Those who understand binary and those who don't.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-22-2004, 06:40 AM   #5  
Mad Swapper

I have little layers plus as well. It is my new favorite! In fact I have been using it quite a bit lately. But that is just my opinion. You have to get the one that suits your style. I have a hard time with watercoloring so I prefer simple sets that don't require a lot of coloring.

We're adults. When did that happen? And how do we make it stop? ~ Dr. Meredith Grey, Grey's Anatomy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-22-2004, 06:43 AM   #6  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by mama2jackson
I'm curious what's on that $300 order you are going to place!
Actually (boring demo that I am!), it's a lot of cardstock to stock up on. But I'm also throwing in some very fun goodies for myself, like In Full Bloom, French Script, and Tiny Talk. And of course some copper EP, some ink, and a bunch of other goodies. I saved up because I wanted to get all the SAB sets free (although of course I couldn't resist pre-ordering at least one!), so now I'll have seven free with this order on top of my preordered one.

Welcome to the Stampin' Up! family!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-22-2004, 06:44 AM   #7  
Die Cut Diva

Okay, so now I'm definitely leaning toward Botanical Garden. Anyone want to sway me for or against Flower Garden?

And thanks for the feedback on Little Layers Plus... I guess I just don't really know many people graduating or having babies, so that reduces the value of the set for me. (It feels like wasted stamps, but I know they would eventually come in useful.)

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-22-2004, 06:46 AM   #8  
Insane Embellisher

Flower Garden is my favorite of all the hostess sets this year.
I absolutely HATE LL plus... I even participated in a swap for it, thinking that maybe if I saw it used really well or got some inspiration for it I would like using it... well, the cards from the swap were really beautiful, but I still didn't like the set, so I traded it away

Flower garden is alot easier to color than you might think. I just used watercolor pencils and a blender pen (or aquapainter) and have done them in workshops... super easy, super pretty, super versatile set.

Hope that helps!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-22-2004, 06:49 AM   #9  
Insane Embellisher

oh, you can always check out the galleries to see which set looks nicest to you and is most versatile stamped out
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-22-2004, 06:50 AM   #10  
Kookie Creator

I"m not much help because I really want Little Layers Plus. Maybe someday I'll get it...

Will work for stamps! My Gallery!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-22-2004, 06:53 AM   #11  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by CreativeDiva
oh, you can always check out the galleries to see which set looks nicest to you and is most versatile stamped out
Thanks for the advice. I did check out that galleries for all the sets, and found a number of each that I really liked. Of course, that didn't help!! I just reassured me that no matter what I get, I will have a bunch of great ideas for it. : ) You've gotta love it when our tough decisions include which really great stamp set is better than the other!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-22-2004, 06:56 AM   #12  
Die Cut Diva

I'll speak up for flower garden. I love that set! I was able to get it in the fall. I liked it because it did look so realistic and I already have so much cutesy stuff. It's really not hard to color and work with. I've used chalks, watercolor, pastels and poppin pastels and all have turned out beautifully. I especially love the rose and the hydrangea. I'll echo what someone else said. check out the galleries and see what suits you better. I love to color images so flower garden was an easy choice for me! Good luck deciding! And happy stamping--sounds like you have a lot to look forward to!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-22-2004, 07:02 AM   #13  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by newdemo
Okay, so now I'm definitely leaning toward Botanical Garden. Anyone want to sway me for or against Flower Garden?

And thanks for the feedback on Little Layers Plus... I guess I just don't really know many people graduating or having babies, so that reduces the value of the set for me. (It feels like wasted stamps, but I know they would eventually come in useful.)
Hmm. I guess I didn't see it that way. As a demo, I try to have a variety of sets. I love all three of my little layers sets and use them for scrapbooking, too. You can use the cupcake and the flower over and over again in a variety of ways.

Bottom line, go with what will make you want to stamp. Flowery sets usually don't do it for me, but sets with variety dare me to see what else I can make with them.

Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless ~ Mother Teresa
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-22-2004, 07:11 AM   #14  
Kookie Creator

If you want to do beautiful, elegant coasters, Flower garden would be really pretty with Frenct Script behind it. Just a thought.

Kate
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-22-2004, 11:14 AM   #15  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by KateStamps
If you want to do beautiful, elegant coasters, Flower garden would be really pretty with Frenct Script behind it. Just a thought.
Ohhh... hadn't thought about that!

I'm so afraid because I tend to be drawn to and create very linear cards...won't the Botanical Garden just increase that tendancy? But I do love it... also like the hydrangea stamp... OH! What to do?

Those of you that have Botanical Garden... how often do you use it? Do you find it versatile? Or are you stuck with really only using the stamps during a few specific months (like the leaf stamp during fall.)?

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-22-2004, 11:35 AM   #16  
Matboard Maniac

I have Botanical Gardens and Flower Garden. I like both, but am preferring Flower Garden right now. It's really nice stamped in Versamark, then poppin' pastel-ed! Quick and easy and beautiful!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-22-2004, 12:17 PM   #17  
Rubber Obsessor

I absolutely love Flower Garden. It's very elegant and yet simple enough with all the techniques already mentioned. KateStamps mentioned the coasters made with Flower Garden and French Script. I have made them and posted them in my gallery. They come out great and are not at all difficult, just a little masking.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-22-2004, 12:50 PM   #18  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 56 Likes on 52 Posts

I am not a Demo. Nor will I get close to having an order that would apply for a Level 2. So maybe you don't want my opinion. But if I had to choose a Level 2 set I would go for the Flower Garden. It just matches my style a little more. Little Layers Plus would be my second choice, even though there are some stamps in there that I wouldn't use very often. There are some stamps in that set I would use enough to justify it, however, if it came down to that.
Reply With Quote Likes