Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 07-21-2004, 08:52 AM   #1  
Mad Swapper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help deciding on Starter Kit items

Ladies, I need your help, here! I have my first recruit coming over tomorrow morning to sign her paperwork ... I need to help her decide what stamp sets to choose in her kit.

She already has Tags and More so she wants to substitute Little Layers for that one.

She is not overly crazy about Perfect Party or Fresh Flowers. Any suggestions on substitutions here?

What wheel should she choose if she does not go with Fresh Flowers for one of her stamp sets?

Thanks so much for your help!
Sarah
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-21-2004, 09:01 AM   #2  
SCS Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My last 2 recruits got Pocket Fun and In the Wild (which has a wheel), but you may suggest they go with All Natural or another new set that has an inspiration sheet. Little Hellos is great as well as an all-season set, and then getting an all-occasion wheel like the new stars or swirls is a year round investment.

A lot of people are looking at In Full Bloom which has a matching wheel, and may be btter than Fresh Flowers b/c it is fresh and lots of people are ordering it, so she will have plenty of ideas.

Hope that helps!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-21-2004, 09:12 AM   #3  
Pearl-ExPert

Here are the things I would consider:

-It is nice to stick with the starter kit items, because the training video and magazine use those as examples.

-It would be nice to have al of the supplies that match one of the kits at the start of the catalog.

-It is nice to offer insipiration sheets from the set you demo.

-Finally, I like to do a Google Search on "Stampin up" and the name of the stamp set. Then I can see how many people use it and what cute designs they have. This may be more difficult at the start of a catalog year when you may want to go with a brand new set.

Congratulations on recruiting! Isn't it fun!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-21-2004, 09:50 AM   #4  
Pearl-ExPert

I agree about choosing a set that has an inspiration sheet to go with it, also maybe one of the ones from the front kit page. I think customers will really go for that.

The sets she's chosing between are both 2 step stampin ones. I would make sure that she tries to get another one like that. So she can have a variety of techniques to show her customers. I really like Roses in Winter or Watercolor Garden 2.

HTH! And congrats on your first recruit!

laura
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-21-2004, 10:21 AM   #5  
Rubber Obsessor

I just ordered my starter kit and these are the sets I chose to get...

Shape Ups
Fun With Shapes
I Like Your Style
Shapes & Shadows
In Full Bloom
Bloomin' Wheel

I have several stamp sets already, though and I wanted all new stuff (except I Like Your Style).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-21-2004, 10:42 AM   #6  
Forum Fanatic

Default `

Oh Fresh Flowers is such a wonderful set. I can see why it's part of the kit. I would go with All Natual if it's the same price if I were to substitute Fresh Flowers.

I didn't like most of the sets in the start up kit and had the ones I did like. Surprisingly, a year later, I now have all but one of the sets in the starter kit. SU really knows there stuff about putting together that kit.

I did substitute Sketch a Party for Perfect Party figuring having a birthday party set was a good idea. That's worked well for me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-21-2004, 10:59 AM   #7  
Polyshrink Goddess

I just ordered my kit and chose Simple Sayings 2 over Tag Time and Spring Garden over Perfect Party. I am having a little buyers remorse that I didn't select In Full Bloom and it's wheel over Fresh Flowers. My thinking was that I will have an easier time with Fresh Flowers since it woudl be in the demo and there are SO VERY MANY samples using it. But I really like In Full Bloom and it would be nice to have one that is truly new for this year.

Jennifer
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-21-2004, 11:09 AM   #8  
Pearl-ExPert

I had two of the sets in the start up kit, didn't like perfect party, and have springtime fun, which is very similar to fresh flowers. I opted for Fishy friends and wheel, sketch a party, terrific tulips, and the halloween backgrounds... these seem to be pretty popular

SCS member #7026
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-21-2004, 06:00 PM   #9  
Compulsive Stamper

Default new kit

I just order my kit. I went back and forth for a month picking out sets until this week. In the end I decided to only substitute Fishy Friends for Tags and More. One of my best friends has this set and we try not to duplicate. We live a couple blocks from each other and don't have any problems sharing. And I already had that wheel so I go the Love Swirls. This one goes with some sets I already have.

In the end I think SU has a very good starter kit with sets that are easy to work with.

I actually had this same discussion with my first potential recruit. And I haven't gotten my kit in the mail yet. It's very exciting!!
Paula
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-22-2004, 05:53 AM   #10  
Die Cut Diva

Im going to sign up with-in the month, and its a very hard decision, isn't it.
I think Im going with In full bloom, and the wheel in place of f. flowers, also In the wild, and Im thinking about birthday bantor or one of the wanda's in place of perfect party, because that just doesn't appeal to me at all.
I've also decided to get the scrap book ad on, I don't scrap (yet) but I think its too good of a deal to pass up, plus up-line is letting me pick a stamp set out of her stash, yippy.
I have probably 15 or so sets, so this should give me a pretty good base, I would think.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-22-2004, 07:10 AM   #11  
Rubber Obsessor

My one and only recruit really hated Fresh Flowers, already had Tags & More, and I told her how I really dislike Perfect Party and wish I had switched it out.

She replaced Fresh Flowers with Bold Basics. It's a really versitle set but enough of the stamps are similar that she can still duplicate all the projects for new demos based on Fresh Flowers. Plus it has the solid square for shadow stamping use (which I consider an essential for new demos and stampers to learn). And the Fresh Flowers Inspiration Sheet can be used with it to show the versatility of the Inspiration Sheet.

She replaced Perfect Party with Sketch a Party and uses it all the time. I can not for the life of me remember what she got instead of Tags & More but I do remember we discussed how Tags & More is a good year-round set and the replacement should also have that quality.
Reply With Quote Likes