Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 11-14-2006, 11:25 AM   #1  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation NEED HELP WITH STAZ-ON INK SMEARING ON MARBLE TILES!

HELP!!

I am making stamped marble tile coasters for a craft show this weekend (nothing like waiting until the last minute, huh?!). ;) I have followed the wonderful tips that I have found on this site and some of the tiles came out beautifully. The ones that did not smear are the ones that I stamped with Staz-On and colored with sharpies and then baked in the oven. I also made some tiles where I stamped them with chalk ink and baked them in the oven. These were more muted, but do not smear to the touch, although I worry that they might smear once condensation hits them... I can understand that the chalk ink is less vivid than the Staz-On, but what is really puzzling me is that on a few of the coasters, I tapped them with a Versamark ink pad after they came out of the oven because someone said on a thread that the Versamark would add a slight sheen, but now the ink is smearing and these were the ones that were stamped with Staz-On?!! I have tried baking them in the oven twice and the ink still wipes right off. I bought some Krylon clear coat and thought I might try spraying them or should I sit them in bleach water overnight and start again with a clean slate?

Sorry to ramble, but does anyone have any suggestions about what can be done to save these coasters? Like I mentioned, some of them are fine, but I would like to find a way to salvage the ones that are smearing. Any help is greatly appreciated.

THANKS!
Katie
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-14-2006, 12:49 PM   #2  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

Katie, I have personally only made the marble tiles with Stazon and permanent Sharpies. I have read about stamping with Stazon, next wiping the image with versamark and coloring with chalks, and then baking. After the baking, these tiles must be sealed with Krylon spray. Good luck in finding your answer. I'll be following along as I'd like to try some more - my first set is beautiful!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-14-2006, 01:40 PM   #3  
Pearl-ExPert

The only way I've ever done them is to stamp with StazOn, color with chalks, and then spray lightly with Krylon. The spray brightens and sets the chalks. I've never had a problem with smearing, but then I've never tried the Versa. The chalks go on fine without it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-14-2006, 01:49 PM   #4  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm wondering if the Glygerin in the VarsaMark is the problem.

It may be a chemical reaction? VersaMark also takes *forever* to really dry.
Have you tried clear embossing them? Or using your heat gun to dry the VersaMark?

Good Luck

...My life is like a stroll on the beach...As near to the edge as I can go...Thoreau...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-14-2006, 02:40 PM   #5  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by phunkymama
The only way I've ever done them is to stamp with StazOn, color with chalks, and then spray lightly with Krylon. The spray brightens and sets the chalks. I've never had a problem with smearing, but then I've never tried the Versa. The chalks go on fine without it.
Sorry I'm no help either as I too have only done mine as mentioned above.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-14-2006, 03:37 PM   #6  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by kphorse
It may be a chemical reaction? VersaMark also takes *forever* to really dry.

Good Luck
If Stazon is smearing then it is getting "reactivated" by an ingredient in the Versamark pad. The baking is really not necessary. I've never baked one of my tiles, when using stazon, and they are still going strong. You can stazon the image, color with chalk, and then seal with either a matte or glossy Krylon--which ever look you like. The Krylon is to seal the chalk, not the stazon. The glossy will give a slight sheen. The chalk needs to be sealed in someway, I've never heard that heat will do it. I would think it will wash straight off. It can also be sealed by applying it with a blender pen. If you live in a place where the tiles need to absorb the sweat from the glass, do not seal the tiles with Krylon. Your best bet is stazon alone, stazon/sharpie, stazon/chalk/blender pen/ or stazon/EK Success colored pencils. I have never tried to bleach tiles and then re-use them--so I can't speak to how the ink will take to the tiles.

HTH
Annette
http://stamponthis.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-14-2006, 04:49 PM   #7  
Rubber Obsessor

Thanks for the advice, everyone. I guess you guys are right and the Stazon is getting reactivated by the Versamark and smearing. I will try spraying them lightly with Krylon and hopefully that will solve the problem. Thanks again!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-14-2006, 07:14 PM   #8  
Gallery Gazer

Katie,
What kind of tiles are you using? I use rialto and they have a finish on them, so stazon does come off them. I use stazon, sharpies, bake and seal. They seem ok after letting glasses of water sit on them.
Reply With Quote Likes