Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 04-23-2006, 11:01 AM   #1  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile New to stamping and hosting a book party

Hi everyone!! I'm really new to stamping....So new that I don't have anything yet!! A friend from work had a party in February, but I had to wait until I got home from vacation last week before I could start looking at stamping!!

Well, here I am and I'm hosting a book party through the end of May. I want to purchase items, but I am lost as to what I should really get as a beginner. There is sooooooooooooo much stuff I want, but my boyfriend would shoot me if I bought the whole catalog!! hehe

I need suggestions of a list of what I should purchase. I really want a little of everything (cs, inks, markers, pencils, embellishments, etc) so I can try a lot of things. I've been viewing this forum since March, but haven't posted because I really had nothing to say...yet. But now that I'm here, look out!! :mrgreen:

Anyway, I could really use your help!! I'll have about $150 to spend (that's my budget for May lol). What should I get through SU and what could I buy from Michael's or another craft store that will work also?

Help me, girls!!!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-23-2006, 11:17 AM   #2  
Compulsive Stamper

Smile Welcome

Are you a cards fan!? I love them!
As for stamping and buying, I would start with a starter type kit that they have at the front of the catty. A stamp set, a mix of paper and a couple inks that match that paper. For $150 you could get 2 of those types of sets.
Just a thought...
TR
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-23-2006, 01:48 PM   #3  
Rubber Obsessor

I agree. A starter kit is perfect to start. You also need a paper cutter, stamping mist, stamp scrub, and a snail. You can add from there.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-23-2006, 02:02 PM   #4  
Mad Swapper

I would get a paper cutter with a Michael's or HL coupon. Also, you should ask around about adhesives. Mono adhesive (SU's Snail) can be purchased at Michael's as well. I do recommend SU's stamp scrub and stampin' mist. I've tried others and none of have been as good. You will also need SU's rubber scissors if are planning to stay in the hobby for the long haul. You can use reg. scissors to mount your stamps, but they will get gunky and the rubber scissors are much easier.
I would also ask your demo about a marker club. I participated with 3 friends. We purchased one color family of markers every month for 4 months and we took turns getting the hostess benefits. My demo would also order us some matching CS.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-23-2006, 02:19 PM   #5  
Die Cut Diva

Well, I love SU stamping, even when it is for someone else. The best thing is to pick a color family especially if you are scrapbooking. I did not and said I need it all but trust me it takes a lot longer to get the basic things if you go that route.
The most important thing is versamark. You don't need every color of ink but will be able to stamp. Then you need paper of course. You'll need a papper cutter and adhesive. Get some white paper. Then stamps. If you like any of stamps from the kits in the front that would be one way to go. I didn't like them but Loads of Love and Heartfelt Thanks are very popular.

"Forget regret or life is yours to miss." - Jonathan Larson
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-23-2006, 03:37 PM   #6  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by thuskins
If you like any of stamps from the kits in the front that would be one way to go. I didn't like them but Loads of Love and Heartfelt Thanks are very popular.

I'm with you, thuskins. I don't like them. I had already thought about going that route. I did see the custom kit (create your own) and thought about doing that, but I am stuck on what colors to get and how much to get.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-23-2006, 07:44 PM   #7  
Pearl-ExPert

I would buy the 12 x 12 cutter, versa mark, adhesive and blender pen/aqua pens at Michaels with a coupon. I would definately stay with the SU inkpads and not buy the store brands. I have bought a few of the non SU ink pads cause I got them on sale and I never use them because I only use the SU colors. THe SU colors are also better quality.

Do you plan on scrapbooking with your stamps or will you just be making cards? Some stamps can be more easily used for both, others mainly for cards, etc...

I agree that the SU scissors and the scrubber and cleaner are must haves!

Well...if you have a good book party, you may be able to get quite a bit of free merchandise along with the $150 you plan on spending....you could be off to a great start!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-23-2006, 07:46 PM   #8  
Pearl-ExPert

Oh...one more comment...

As for colors....I would look at the examples they have in the catalog and here on SCS and see which ones you are more drawn too, and then purchase those first and add more later!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-23-2006, 07:51 PM   #9  
Rubber Obsessor

I'm going to be doing mostly cards. I have never been into scrapbooking and thought it was a lot of money. DOH!!! and here I am getting ready to stamp. hehe

I'm hoping I do have a decent book party with the retired sets coming out May 1st. That way I can just buy more more MORE!! lol

I'm interested in the markers, but they are out of my price range at the moment. What other brands of markers work best and they have to be watercolor, correct? Also, what about colored pencils? I love to color and love the beautiful cards that people create by coloring.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-24-2006, 10:45 AM   #10  
Pearl-ExPert

If you are into the watercoloring with pencils, the prettiest effect I have seen on SCS is with the Prismacolor pencils and Gamesol (odorless mineralspirits) colored with a "stump". The Prismacolor pencils ARE NOT watercolor pencils, but when colored with the stumps wetted with the gamesol, the color moves around like a watercolor and can be very pretty and vibrant. All of these materials you can pick up at michaels with your 40 to 50% off coupons.

I don't know how much you are into the actual SU color families, like I said before, personally, I see a card on this site that I want to duplicate and I like the colors...I want the EXACT colors and that usually happens to be the SU colors. So I do not use my markers or pads very often if they are not SU. If that doesn't matter to you, just get some at Michaels when they're on sale. The markers are not actually watercolor markers. The SU one's say "water based dye ink". The "Zig" and "Marvy" markers, I believe, are good....just make sure that they have one tip that is a BRUSH type, so you can easily coat your stamp!

The SU watercolor crayons are pretty fun also! They are only about $60 and you get ALL the SU colors. I just got those from the last party I hosted. I've only gotten to play with them a couple of times, but they are great and there are a few different ways you can use them.

Well, hope you have a super party so you can get lots of fun stuff to get started with! This is a fun hobby, a nice way to unwind from the day!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-24-2006, 02:11 PM   #11  
Polyshrink Goddess

Default Pastels and Blender Pens

I love my pastels and blender pens. I have the Basic Brown pad which I use alot more than the black pad. It gives a "softer" appearance to the stamps. I stamp most of my images with the brown and then use the pastels (less than $30) and blender pens (or q-tips if on a large area) to color in. That way you get lots of color without having to invest in all the pads or the expensive pens. (Which by the way are well worth the money--much better than Marvy or what you get at Wal-Mart.)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-24-2006, 02:36 PM   #12  
Stampin' Fool

your getting lots of advice here!
As far as the scissors, ask your demo if you can use her rubber scissors to mount your stamps. You will need a nice paper snips though.
For cleaning the stamps I use baby wipes and a paint pad (the edger pad). It works just fine. Save your money for stamps and paper.
I also do use too many background stamps. Usually I use printed papers and cardstock. I'm addicted to paper! Office supply stores have envies, too.
A good paper trimmer is an excellent investment. I got a guillitine-type model at an office supply store.
My first SU purchases was a versamark (also avail at craft stores- use your coupon) and the pastels (chalks). Read on poppin pastels technique. It was a great way to try out all the colors to see which color families I liked best.
And of course you will need double stick tape to put it all together.
As far as inks, a basic black and brown will go far.(I have a SU black, and Making Memories brown, both are nice)
I've found that ribbon is the perfect way to dress up even the simplest of cards.

I'm not a demo, but you're going to spend that much, how much is the startup kit? Something to consider. or pick one of the kits. Heartfelt Thanks is a very versitile, and the colors are perfect for spring and summer.

I've been cardmaking for just over a year now, the first year is when the expensive purchases (tools) come into play. Be careful, this hobby is addicting, and this site is full of enablers! :lol:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-24-2006, 03:27 PM   #13  
Rubber Obsessor

There are a lot of enablers here. I spend more time here reading this forum and I haven't even stamped yet!! I think I see a problem. Why bother spending all my money when I'll be here not stamping? LOL

Many of you have mentioned coupons. Where do I get these coupons? Especially the Michael's ones or Hobby Lobby?

Either way, I have to drive an hour, but if I'm going that far, I want coupons (with gas the way it is, I'll take any savings I can get elsewhere). hehe
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-24-2006, 07:50 PM   #14  
Pearl-ExPert

I know here in Utah they have a flyer that comes out in the Sunday paper that almost always has a 40% off coupon and sometimes a 50%.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-25-2006, 02:24 PM   #15  
Glitter Queen

You will love SU! products. They're the best! For some basics, I woud have to recommend the following:

-Paper trimmer
-GOOD scissors
-adhesive
-Stampin' Scrub & Mist (I used to be a baby wipes gal, but the scrub pad is great for scrubbing ink out of the little cracks and crevices, plus it's not consumable like baby wipes)
-Basic Black or Brown ink pad
-Stampin' Pastels
-Blender pens or aquapainters (I personally prefer the aquapainters)
-Versamark pad
-A few ink pads OR stampin spots
-cardstock to coordinate with your ink pads and pastels

There are so many fun embellishments. I liked the suggestion of choosing a color family. Once you do that, you can get the ink, cardstock, and even eyelets. I'm also a fan of the gingham ribbon! The black gingham is very versatile.

You will get at least one free stamp set (hostess set) from your workshop, so that's a great place to start choosing stamps. Don't forget Whisper White cardstock (the quality is worth the price.)

Did you get the Spring mini catalog? There are some AWESOME new sets in there.

Good luck with your decision!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-02-2006, 01:23 PM   #16  
Inking Addict

You need a 12 inch paper cutter. Don't buy the smaller one you will only replase it with the 12 inch. White cardstock and white invitation size envelopes. Buy these at Walmart or Michaels. Use any scissors for now to cut the rubber off your stamps. Get a better scissors after you have a few supplies. Clean your stamps with a kitchen sponge and a tiny amount of dish soap. Get stamp and srub later. Don't buy stamp pads or markers or cardstock other than SU. The colors will not match and you will end up buying SU anyway. Soooo... Pick a couple stamp sets you like and a color family that will work with these stamps. Get a packet of mixed cardstock. If you like spots get a classic set to match your cardstock. If you like the larger stamp pads pick a few to match the cardstock. If the stamps are to be colored in get a basic black stamp pad and stamp your design on white cardstock. You can press the colored pad on a styrafoam plate and use a brush and a little water and color in your design. Mount this on your matching cardstock. You can add more colors of cardstock, stamp pads, markers, etc until you have everything you want. Do we ever reach that point?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-02-2006, 01:48 PM   #17  
Stazon Splitcoast

A good place to start so that you have everything you need to start stamping right away is to order one of the beginner stamper kits near the front of the catalog. If you don't want any of those stamp sets, there is a kit template of sorts that will help you pick out a startup set of supplies. Just add a Basic Black ink pad, trimmer, cleaning pad and mist, and the Craft and Rubber scissors, and you'll be good to go! With these basic items, you'll be able to assemble your stamps and make cards as soon as your goodies arrive!

Don't skimp on the white cardstock! I'd say this even if I weren't a demonstrator. I tried the recommended "off brands" back when I was still a customer, and none compare as far as quality. They're thinner, so the card won't stand up very well if it has more than a single color layer on the front, and you can't just turn the paper over and use the back if you make a mistake because the image shows through from the other side. Also, the surface on the Whisper White is much smoother, and takes the ink better. The best comparison I can come up with is regular copy paper vs. bright white in an inkjet printer. I've had trouble with feathering or bleeding of the image on non-SU cardstock.

Hope your book party is a fabulous success, and welcome to the wonderful world of stamping! :mrgreen:

My Stampin' Up! blog
"I'm a time traveler -- I point and laugh at archaeologists." 10th Doctor, "Silence in the Library"
Reply With Quote Likes