Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 08-10-2007, 11:35 AM   #41  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So if I signed up in September (before the 14th) - when would my $300 order be due?

Is the tax based on where I sign up at - the tax rate that I normally pay with my orders?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-10-2007, 11:41 AM   #42  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

Wow, such a deal!

My demo recently talking to me about becoming a demo, but I'm not ready to make that commitment yet. Hopefully, when I am ready, the sign up special will be ad good as the current one.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-10-2007, 11:42 AM   #43  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by stampwithdianeView Post
Even better, there's no shipping charge! Just $199 + tax. Woo Hoo!
No shipping! This does sound sound too hard to pass up!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-10-2007, 11:44 AM   #44  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by AZMomView Post
So if I signed up in September (before the 14th) - when would my $300 order be due?

Is the tax based on where I sign up at - the tax rate that I normally pay with my orders?
Your tax rate is based on where your orders are shipped. And if you signed up now, you would need to meet your first $300 quarterly minimum by December 31, 2007. You do not need to do this all in one order -- you can spread them out throughout the period.

But, you do get the extra 10% discount (for a total of 30%) on your first order that is $150 or more that is placed within 45 days of your demo start date, so it is to your advantage to take advantage of that. The special discount applies to a demo order or a customer/workshop order, so a lot of people choose to throw themselves a big party and get lots of hostess benefits plus the additional 30% in income on everything the guests buy.

And, if your sales in any given month exceed $400, you also receive an additional volume discount that is directly deposited into your account after the middle of the following month.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-10-2007, 11:52 AM   #45  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by julia_sView Post
Yes, your first order counts towards minimums. What is even better-- SU! counts all the merchandise you order at full price to go towards your quota-- even though you get the 20% discount (or 30% on first order, as long as it is within the first 45 days you are a demo). Say you order $300 for your first order-- you've made your minimum, but you pay $210 before s/h and tax.....
Seriously?! I thought what you paid (as a demo) for your order is what counts toward your minimums... not the catty price of what you ordered!

So... someone who really just wants to sign on as a hobby demo only needs to worry about ordering herself $240 worth of merchandise every 3 months to stay active?! Is that right? Or am I just dense? (Nothing new there. LOL) :mrgreen:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-10-2007, 12:20 PM   #46  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Talk to your demo about it. She may have some ideas. Depending on what the committment is, maybe you could continue in the club through its current rotation but purchase just the minimums at the demo price. Or maybe she has someone who is on a waiting list who could take your place. In any case, you loose nothing by talking with her about it to see if she has any suggestions.
Maybe I will talk to her but we kind of set up our club kind of loosely with no end date in mind. And I recruited all the members (or people I recruited, recruited them). In return my demo has given me 10% off my club orders. Actually, a couple of months ago she was thinking about moving to Arizona and asked if I would be interested in taking over the club. I wasn't really thinking about it until then. But she didn't end up moving.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-10-2007, 12:48 PM   #47  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by bnlnkidsView Post
Seriously?! I thought what you paid (as a demo) for your order is what counts toward your minimums... not the catty price of what you ordered!

So... someone who really just wants to sign on as a hobby demo only needs to worry about ordering herself $240 worth of merchandise every 3 months to stay active?! Is that right? Or am I just dense? (Nothing new there. LOL) :mrgreen:
Yes, you only have to pay $240 per quarter, plus tax and shipping. depending on your sales tax, that comes out to about $100 a month -- or as I used to tell my DH, $25 a week or about $3 a day!

Really -- if you are already buying this amount or would, do it.

I actually spent a LOT LESS on crafting supplies when I was a demo because I stuck with SU only.

Now, why don't I re sign? One reason only. I've fallen in love with clear stamps.

If SU went clear....I'd be there!:twisted:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-10-2007, 12:50 PM   #48  
Polyshrink Goddess

Makes total sense. Thanks, Joan!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-10-2007, 01:16 PM   #49  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Just to clarify -- your minimums are absed on the cusotmer cost of the item, not the price a demo pays. So, for example, if an item is $30 in the catalog, the demo pays $24 but $30 goes towards the quarterly minimums.

If there is a special where, for example, the item is half off for everyone, then the demo pays $12 and the special customer price of $15 goes towards the quarterly minimums.

Both demos and customers pay shipping on the full price of the item. Customer orders get charged tax on the full price. Demonstrator orders (orders for catalog merchandise that are for the demonstrator's use only and are not combined with customer orders) get charged tax on the discounted price.

So come on, Lisa, sign up! You know you want to -- LOL!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-10-2007, 01:17 PM   #50  
Kookie Creator

Thanks for the heads up!! I've been trying to decide what to buy to really get going with stamping and this solves that problem!! Now I can get some of everything--CHEAPER!! I LOVE a good deal! And getting 18 stamp pads is a great incentive!! I appreciate the info!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-10-2007, 02:44 PM   #51  
Polyshrink Goddess

LOL Diane! :mrgreen: Of course I want to... it's getting DH to want to at this particular time that's key. All the "selling points" that I can provide him, the better. ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-10-2007, 02:51 PM   #52  
Kookie Creator

I hear you Lisa! I had to present my "case" to DH, too! I reminded him of the great savings it was, all the ink pads I would get, etc. Personally, I think he just agreed to get me out of the room and stamping during football season;).Good luck with your DH!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-10-2007, 02:59 PM   #53  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by OCDstamperView Post
I hear you Lisa! I had to present my "case" to DH, too! I reminded him of the great savings it was, all the ink pads I would get, etc. Personally, I think he just agreed to get me out of the room and stamping during football season;).Good luck with your DH!!
Great suggestion -- definitely ask during a football game -- they'll agree to just about anything then :twisted:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-10-2007, 03:03 PM   #54  
Crimping Master

I believe this special runs until the 30th. I'm so excited about it! I'm super-charged about getting my little business off the ground, and I'm really hoping that this special will help get some people on my team!

My blog: Stephanie B. Designs
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-10-2007, 03:07 PM   #55  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

LOL Diane! :mrgreen: Of course I want to... it's getting DH to want to at this particular time that's key. All the "selling points" that I can provide him, the better. ;)
Do it mathamatically for him. You're getting $390 worth of stuff plus free shipping - so that's $429 plus you're saving tax on $230 because you only have to pay tax on $199. So that has to be something like a $250 in savings. Plus, you have all the way until December to spend the next $240 + tax and shipping over the next 4 months. As Joan said, that's $3.00 a day. Less than a happy meal.

Plus, you will be a business owner so some (if not all) of these purchases will be tax deductible. And there is always the possibility that you will be a successful business owner, in which case you'll not only pay for your future stamps, you might even contribute to the family income or, at the very least, the family fun fund! And you can drop any time without any penalty -- and you still get to keep all the stuff you got at such a discount!

And don't you deserve all this for moving all the way to CA from AZ? And shouldn't that new stamp room of yours be filled with some new stuff?

If you'd like, get him on the phone with me and I'll convince him for you!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-10-2007, 03:09 PM   #56  
Mad Swapper

I'm reading the promo as getting a family of stamp pads. Thant's 12 pads. Or you can choose the In Color set of 6 pads. Per the demo SU website it says....

New recruits may choose between our four color families (Bold Brights, Earth Elements, Rich Regals, and Soft Subtles) or choose a pack of our 2007 In Color pads. Color family packs include 12 ink pads, and the In Color selection includes six ink pads.

Classic Ink Pad Family Item
Bold Brights 105562 (12 ink pads)
Earth Elements 105563 (12 ink pads)
Rich Regals 105564 (12 ink pads)
Soft Subtles 105565 (12 ink pads)
In Color 110971 (6 pads)

I don't see where you would get 18 ink pads.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-10-2007, 03:10 PM   #57  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

And don't you deserve all this for moving all the way to CA from AZ?
Sorry! I meant CO - Doh'
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-10-2007, 03:11 PM   #58  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by cindy nagelView Post
I'm reading the promo as getting a family of stamp pads. Thant's 12 pads. Or you can choose the In Color set of 6 pads. Per the demo SU website it says....

New recruits may choose between our four color families (Bold Brights, Earth Elements, Rich Regals, and Soft Subtles) or choose a pack of our 2007 In Color pads. Color family packs include 12 ink pads, and the In Color selection includes six ink pads.

Classic Ink Pad Family Item
Bold Brights 105562 (12 ink pads)
Earth Elements 105563 (12 ink pads)
Rich Regals 105564 (12 ink pads)
Soft Subtles 105565 (12 ink pads)
In Color 110971 (6 pads)

I don't see where you would get 18 ink pads.
The first six ink pads are in the starter kit. Then you get up to an additional 12 if you choose any of the color families except the in-colors. If you choose the in-colors you would get 12 ink pads total.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-10-2007, 03:58 PM   #59  
Crimping Master

Such a good deal.....
WHATS A GIRL TO DO?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-10-2007, 04:24 PM   #60  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Default Question on starter kit

I have read this whole thread. I have now decided to become a demo! You have me totally excited. I dont know if I know enough people interested in this, so I will at least keep it going by myself for a while.

So, I have a question regarding the 5 sets of stamps in the start up kit. The value of the stamps, if you add up the cost of the ones it lists is $109.75. I know you can swap out other stamp sets if they are the same price or less. My question is (and hopefully it makes sense)...I, for instance, want to replace both of the sets that cost $30.95, and the ones I will replace it cost $27.95 and $33.95....this amounts to the exact same totals. Does this work? Or will they say no to the set that costs $33.95, even though my total costs stayed at $109.75 for the stamps alone. I hope that made sense...lol. Anyone?

Also, is there a commision as a demonstrator? I am confused. Or is the commision based on the fact that while orders cost customers full price, you get a discount, therefore you are keeping some of the money they give you.

Ok, I have to get back to work. I am so excited about this promotion! Thats for sharing it...yay!

Amy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-10-2007, 05:18 PM   #61  
Stampin' Fool

I just signed my paperwork last Sunday, and I completely freaked out when I saw that they ran this special! My demo immediately called Stampin' Up!, and they said since they haven't keyed in my information, I qualify for the free color family. I guess they are automatically sending me the Rich Regals color family, since I ordered that assorted cardstock. The only problem is that I ordered 5 colors from the rich regals and a black stamp bad with my starter kit. Stampin' Up! said I could return the color family and get whatever color family I wanted.

Yay!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-10-2007, 05:20 PM   #62  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by zipperc98View Post
I have read this whole thread. I have now decided to become a demo! You have me totally excited. I dont know if I know enough people interested in this, so I will at least keep it going by myself for a while.

So, I have a question regarding the 5 sets of stamps in the start up kit. The value of the stamps, if you add up the cost of the ones it lists is $109.75. I know you can swap out other stamp sets if they are the same price or less. My question is (and hopefully it makes sense)...I, for instance, want to replace both of the sets that cost $30.95, and the ones I will replace it cost $27.95 and $33.95....this amounts to the exact same totals. Does this work? Or will they say no to the set that costs $33.95, even though my total costs stayed at $109.75 for the stamps alone. I hope that made sense...lol. Anyone?

Also, is there a commision as a demonstrator? I am confused. Or is the commision based on the fact that while orders cost customers full price, you get a discount, therefore you are keeping some of the money they give you.

Ok, I have to get back to work. I am so excited about this promotion! Thats for sharing it...yay!

Amy

As for swapping stamp sets, you can only trade for the same value or less.

And the commission...You automatically earn 20% commission on all your orders. Let's say you have a $100 sale. You automatically keep 20% of that.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-10-2007, 05:33 PM   #63  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Do it mathamatically for him. You're getting $390 worth of stuff plus free shipping - so that's $429 plus you're saving tax on $230 because you only have to pay tax on $199. So that has to be something like a $250 in savings. Plus, you have all the way until December to spend the next $240 + tax and shipping over the next 4 months. As Joan said, that's $3.00 a day. Less than a happy meal.

Plus, you will be a business owner so some (if not all) of these purchases will be tax deductible. And there is always the possibility that you will be a successful business owner, in which case you'll not only pay for your future stamps, you might even contribute to the family income or, at the very least, the family fun fund! And you can drop any time without any penalty -- and you still get to keep all the stuff you got at such a discount!

And don't you deserve all this for moving all the way to CA from AZ? And shouldn't that new stamp room of yours be filled with some new stuff?

If you'd like, get him on the phone with me and I'll convince him for you!

ROFL!!! Boy, Diane sure is GOOD at what she does, isn't she?! LOL :mrgreen:

Girl, you're preachin' to the choir at this point! I'm planning on telling him about the awesome incentive as soon as he gets home tonight. I'll be sure to LYK if he could use a stern talkin'-to! LOL ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-10-2007, 05:53 PM   #64  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barbie 50View Post
Such a good deal.....
WHATS A GIRL TO DO?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-10-2007, 05:59 PM   #65  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Amy
You cannot do a "cumulative" exchange. Sorry :(

I also wanted to add that not only do you get your 20% instant income, but if your monthly sales are over a certain amount you can get volume rebate anywhere from 5% to 20%! AND if you build a downline, you can get a commission from THEIR sales!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-10-2007, 07:31 PM   #66  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 83 Likes on 37 Posts

This is the same special that got me to sign up two years ago. And not once have I had to make my own minimums. I had an open house to kick things off and sold over $900. At 30% off with the Hostess Benefits was a very nice start. The best part is ordering whenever I want and the Demo side of SCS! Go ahead, take the plunge, what do you have to lose????
BArbara
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-11-2007, 06:29 AM   #67  
Gem
Crimping Master

Are the quarterly minimums different in Canada or still $300 per quarter? I'm imagining since everything else is more expensive that the minimum will be higher.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-11-2007, 06:51 AM   #68  
Matboard Maniac

can you choose the 6 in colors for your 6 ink pads, then get a color family of 12 free? I don't understand why folks say if you choose the in colors you only get 6 instead of 12...make sense? I have the other colors (listed in the demo pkg) and would be interested in colors.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-11-2007, 07:41 AM   #69  

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by GemView Post
Are the quarterly minimums different in Canada or still $300 per quarter? I'm imagining since everything else is more expensive that the minimum will be higher.
Quarterly minimums in Canada are $450 per quarter.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-11-2007, 08:17 AM   #70  
Matboard Maniac

bump
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-11-2007, 08:53 AM   #71  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by amesbabeView Post
can you choose the 6 in colors for your 6 ink pads, then get a color family of 12 free? I don't understand why folks say if you choose the in colors you only get 6 instead of 12...make sense? I have the other colors (listed in the demo pkg) and would be interested in colors.
Yes, you absolutely may choose the in-colors as the 6 pads from the starter kit and get another whole family free.

I think the reason why Stampin' Up! made the in color family one of the options is that some people alerady have all the othr families of ink pads and do not want a repeat. In that case, they might prefer to get some of the neutral ink pads, like basic black, basic brown, sahara sand, going gray and the new basic gray in the starter kit and get the in-colors as their free family. It's not quite as good of a value, but it might be the right choice for some people.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-11-2007, 09:06 AM   #72  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

I dont know if I know enough people interested in this, so I will at least keep it going by myself for a while.
When I signed up as a demo last June only two of my friends were even remotely interested in stamping. One of them has ordered from me frequently. The other has ordered twice. I also had an aunt who placed an order at my first party and a cousin who recently ordered a set. Other than that, I never met any of my customers before I signed up to be a demo and I never had to make my own minimums. The key is talking about your busienss to everyone. People will surprise you. The people you hope will support your business may not, but lots of others who you would never dream would be interested will fall all over themselves to stamp. Just try not to pre-judge and just assume that everyone wants to hear about your business.

Stampin' Up! has now made our job a lot easier by offering cute little bags with a clear window where you can insert a mini catalog. I picked up mine at Convention and have been using it as my purse ever since. Yesterday I was picking up pizza for my open stamp night and the lady in line behind me started a conversation with me because she saw my bag. Turns out she and her friends are scrappers and don't stamp and she wants to host a party! So I met a new potential group of customers while standing in line at a pizza place and I didn't even have to start the conversation-- my bag did it for me! So not to ramble on, but you don't need to know many people who love stamping when you start -- you just have to be open about discussing your business and getting to know new people!

And when you sign up you should join the demo side of SCS where you will pick up tons of fantastic tips to help you grow yor busienss. Just keep an open mind and a positive attitude and you will do great!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-11-2007, 09:12 AM   #73  

Thanks for the info! I cant wait till my Demo gets back from her trip so I can go over and set this up. :-)

Even if I dont end up being able to find people to sell to, at least I will have gotten this deal, and I will get a chance to share will people.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-11-2007, 09:18 AM   #74  

Quote:

Yesterday I was picking up pizza for my open stamp night and the lady in line behind me started a conversation with me because she saw my bag. Turns out she and her friends are scrappers and don't stamp and she wants to host a party! So I met a new potential group of customers while standing in line at a pizza place and I didn't even have to start the conversation-- my bag did it for me! So not to ramble on, but you don't need to know many people who love stamping when you start -- you just have to be open about discussing your business and getting to know new people!
Exciting! I would love to have something like that happen for me. I was thinking of hosting a big party, inviting all of my friends and just showing them how much fun it is. I think I have already overwhelmed a few people just because I talk about it so much. lol. I always told myself I would never do something like this. Until I found SU and now I am obsessed. Most of the people I know, their biggest statement is "I just dont have time for that". Who doesnt have time to do something? Even if its only a couple hours once a week. Thats often all I do, and sometimes not even that. Comes in waves.

Ok, now I am babbling.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-11-2007, 09:21 AM   #75  
Kookie Creator

Yeah- I'm so excited- I just sent off the paperwok for my Starter Kit!! Now I can't wait for it to get here! What a great deal! How many others have decided to sign up now because of this great deal??
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-11-2007, 09:46 AM   #76  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Exciting! I would love to have something like that happen for me. I was thinking of hosting a big party, inviting all of my friends and just showing them how much fun it is. I think I have already overwhelmed a few people just because I talk about it so much. lol. I always told myself I would never do something like this. Until I found SU and now I am obsessed. Most of the people I know, their biggest statement is "I just dont have time for that". Who doesnt have time to do something? Even if its only a couple hours once a week. Thats often all I do, and sometimes not even that. Comes in waves.

Ok, now I am babbling.
I know exactly how you feel -- I was the same way when I started stamping. I talked about it to all my friends all the time and was so disappointed when all of them didn't become as obsessed as I was. But I finally accepted that they were not going to stamp and moved on. Now I'm just as excited but I always talk to new people so they don't have a chance to get tired of it - LOL! And I found that it's actually easier to talk to strangers, because there's not as much of a personal rejection feeling if they're not interested.

The most important thing to remember is that no one is rejecting you -- just the craft of stamping (Still nuts --I Know!). And that's OK. There's plenty of potential stampers left in the sea -- we can afford to throw a few back. :-D

Good luck with your decision and if you do sign up lots of luck in your new business!

Oh yeah, one more thing. The party thing is defitnitely a good idea! And invite everyone, even those people who you don't think would like stamping. Like I said, people will surprise you!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-11-2007, 09:50 AM   #77  
Gem
Crimping Master

Thanks Gail for the Canadian minimums info! I had been thinking it was $300 and that wasn't too bad. I don't think $450 is reasonable for me if I was to just be a hobby demo. I know my dh would hit the ceiling if I wanted to spend $150 every month. I guess I'll keep waiting until I feel ready to really make a business of this.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-11-2007, 10:11 AM   #78  

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by GemView Post
Thanks Gail for the Canadian minimums info! I had been thinking it was $300 and that wasn't too bad. I don't think $450 is reasonable for me if I was to just be a hobby demo. I know my dh would hit the ceiling if I wanted to spend $150 every month. I guess I'll keep waiting until I feel ready to really make a business of this.
Read some of Diane's posts above. Do you have a friend or two who is willing to share the burden for awhile?
Even if you go inactive in December, the starter kit right now is still a great deal, and you don't lose.
Think of it this way (the Cdn version):
Buy the Starter kit now. You get 6 ink pads, plus a colour family of ink pads (18 total). Plus blah blah blah (remember you have some choice in the stamp sets you pick)
You have until the end of December to spend $450. This includes December which will have the retiring list of stamps, and a preview of the new items from the Spring/Summer catalogue. If you spend the $450 by then, great ... you're in for another three months. IF not, you've still got January to be a demo and buy more stuff with your demo discount.

Good luck with your decision ... explain it to your dh this way, as a no-lose situation.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-11-2007, 10:44 AM   #79  
Kookie Creator

The two things that hold me back from this is:
1) I already own a lot of what the starter kit offers...haven't stopped to add it up, but it seems like it wouldn't be that *great* of a deal to buy duplicate stuff that sits there...
2) Do you claim that 20% discount as money on taxes? Curious since someone mentioned business deductions. I know my DH will nix the whole idea if it has anything to do with state/fed taxes.

No sales tax in my state, so that wouldn't be an issue.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-11-2007, 11:28 AM   #80  

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kathy WView Post

No sales tax in my state, so that wouldn't be an issue.
Yay to the no sales tax in Oregon though! :-) I hate leaving the state and having to pay tax. I cant imagine having to pay sales tax on bigger purchases such as this.
Reply With Quote Likes