Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 09-10-2004, 05:05 AM   #1  
Die Cut Diva

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nice and Narrow on Ebay $31

Nice and Narrow--the one that's on sale this month for $16.46 :shock:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...129500700&rd=1
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-10-2004, 05:14 AM   #2  
Kookie Creator

Wow! She says on the bottom in her disclaimer that she is not a demo. Guess we should be excited that folks really want our stuff. When the auction is over, maybe we can see the bid history and notify those bidders of where they can get their stuff for less! ~
Member #7840!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-10-2004, 05:20 AM   #3  
Stazon Splitcoast

I just sent a message to both the high bidder and the one bidding against her and let them know they could get this set thourgh a demo for less....we'll see if they keep bidding against each other or not!

I also let them know I am not a demo just didn't want them to get ripped off!

I think it is sad when people are not shopping wisely....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-10-2004, 05:27 AM   #4  
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:

Originally Posted by photocropper
I just sent a message to both the high bidder and the one bidding against her and let them know they could get this set thourgh a demo for less....we'll see if they keep bidding against each other or not!

I also let them know I am not a demo just didn't want them to get ripped off!

I think it is sad when people are not shopping wisely....
That was very nice of you
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-10-2004, 05:31 AM   #5  
Stazon Splitcoast

check out this sellers other items for auction, tons of NEW SU! stuff

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-10-2004, 05:32 AM   #6  
Polyshrink Goddess

The $31 is bad enough, but, to my area at least, she is also charging almost $7 in shipping. Wow, what a racket!

Heather
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-10-2004, 05:35 AM   #7  
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dorinda
check out this sellers other items for auction, tons of NEW SU! stuff
I checked that out too. For someone that says they are not a demo - they sure have a ton of BRAND NEW, NEVER OPENED, UNMOUNTED items. Not to mention - demo only items (incentive stamps). I wonder if this person is not really a demo or if maybe she isn't, but sells the items FOR her demo!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-10-2004, 05:36 AM   #8  
Rubber Obsessor

She is either getting out of the demo business or she is selling stuff for another demo! It looks to me like all her stuff is new and never been used. She has mostly stampin up stuff.

Or I guess she could be buying it from a demo and just selling at higher cost for herself.

I am just so suspicious of anyone selling current stuff on ebay. I don't mind the discontinued stuff, but the current stuff really gets me going!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-10-2004, 06:02 AM   #9  
Crimping Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Be careful in sending email to ebay users alerting them to where they can buy items elsewhere. I actually got a warning for sending a non-winning bidder an email directing them to an 'ebay' auction of mine for the same item. Een though it was an ebay auction and ebay still would have made the money, I guess their policy is that you're not allowed to do it. I guess that buyer turned me in. Just wanted you all to be careful so you don't loose any ebay accounts for trying to be helpful.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-10-2004, 06:31 AM   #10  
Forum Fanatic

As a general user, you have nothing to lose alerting people to out right bad business practices. You can get a yahoo email account and make up a ebay user name and then send emails to people. You lose nothing if ebay cancels your account. As long as you aren't a seller, you have nothing to lose by helping people.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-10-2004, 07:01 AM   #11  
Pearl-ExPert

Kymber, is it your suggestion that people set up an extra ebay account for this purpose?
When it gets to the point that we set up false Ebay accounts just to "warn" people, we have gone too far, in my opinion.
Why is it okay to fraudulently set up an Ebay account, but not okay to openly sell something on the open market?
I understand all the frustration about sellers with tons of current items on Ebay, but vigilantism is NOT the answer.
Alicia
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-10-2004, 08:01 AM   #12  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by barbaranne_stamps
Be careful in sending email to ebay users alerting them to where they can buy items elsewhere. I actually got a warning for sending a non-winning bidder an email directing them to an 'ebay' auction of mine for the same item. Een though it was an ebay auction and ebay still would have made the money, I guess their policy is that you're not allowed to do it. I guess that buyer turned me in. Just wanted you all to be careful so you don't loose any ebay accounts for trying to be helpful.
I have received emails like that several times... In fact, I got one last night! I didn't know they were illegal. They look VERY official. I should turn this woman in, but she DOES have the stamp set I've been looking for... oh well... principles are more important than stamps.

What am I saying? I must have a fever. I think I'll go lie down now.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-10-2004, 08:12 AM   #13  
Stampin' Fool

I cannot comprehend why people don't just find a demonstrator in their area. Why would someone pay such inflated prices for current stamps? It's just CRAZY!

Carolyn
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-10-2004, 08:18 AM   #14  
Matboard Maniac

[quote= I should turn this woman in, but she DOES have the stamp set I've been looking for... oh well... principles are more important than stamps.[/quote]

There are demos all over SCS who would be happy to help you with a current set and finding a demo in your area. If you are looking for a retired set, try putting an ISO (in search of) post in the classifieds area.

-Amanda
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-10-2004, 08:19 AM   #15  
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

Why is it okay to fraudulently set up an Ebay account, but not okay to openly sell something on the open market?
Where did I say set up a fraudulent account? You obtain an email account ~ no, nothing fraudulent there. You create an ebay user account. Nothing there. If you aren't bidding, and you aren't selling, where is that fraudulent. I have like 5 ebay accounts because I never remember the password or the email it's linked to, none are fraudulent, just not linked to any email other than a designated ebay email. I don't want spam and setting up an ebay account WILL cause you to get spam. They sell their lists or people have ways of getting it. Every email account over the last X amount of years that was tied to ebay has become spam city.

No, I didn't say anything about fraudulent. And it's against policy to sell SU merchandise. It's not against ebay policy to have more than one account. Now, bidding and not paying, that's a whole nother story and I'm not suggesting that. All I know is you can't email anyone without a user id. And it isn't vigelanteism to warn people they are being ripped off, it's being a good person. If someone was embezzling from you and you didn't know it but Jack did, wouldn't you want Jack to tell you. That's all that's been suggested, informing the person there are better prices out there.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-10-2004, 08:26 AM   #16  
Pearl-ExPert

Many apologies, Kymber, if I misunderstood your message.
As to your most recent post, you might want to look up the meaning of embezzling. Not quite sure it applies here!
Best Regards,
Alicia
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-10-2004, 08:29 AM   #17  
Mad Swapper

Probably because they don't know they are inflated prices. They are probable unfamiliar with Stampin'Up and their prices. I know it is hard to believe but there are people out there that have never heard about Stampin'Up, but I am a demo and ran into a women at JoAnn's (in the rubber stamp section) that had never heard of SU. I filled her in right away!! She said she gets most of her stamps on eBay. If you don't know any different you probably would think you were getting a good deal.

Stampin'Hugs
Charlee
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-10-2004, 08:31 AM   #18  
Gabfest Goddess

Here is what was posted by justheather regarding another eBay topic:

"Here's what eBay says (http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/...erference.html):
"eBay Policy
Members are not allowed to interfere with another member's transaction.
Members may not contact a seller and offer to purchase a listed item outside of eBay.
Members are not permitted to email buyers in an open or completed transaction to warn them away from a seller or item. If you have a problem with a transaction, please use the feedback forum and review our Fraud Protection Program. "

Looks to me like it's a bad idea...and could get you kicked off of eBay."

I have both bought and sold on eBay - while I would love to alert buyers about outrageous prices for SU items...I also feel it is up to them to do some research. I do send SU emails with eBay sellers that may be demos - I don't email the seller directly because if they are a demo, then they wouldn't tell me because they know they are wrong for selling. So, who would know who is telling the truth and who isn't.

Anyway - I made this a lot longer than intended. I was really just going to forward what was posted in another topic, so noone gets in trouble with eBay.

Real quick - another thought...what if eBay then forwarded your information to SU about "harrassing" their sellers/buyers. I know we all mean well and our intentions are meant to help SU, but we might want to step back and rethink. I would suggest sending SU emails where the seller may be a demo selling illegally.

Ok - I am done now.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-10-2004, 08:42 AM   #19  
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by love6kids
Many apologies, Kymber, if I misunderstood your message.
As to your most recent post, you might want to look up the meaning of embezzling. Not quite sure it applies here!
Best Regards,
Alicia
Only used it as an example not a direct indication of what is happening here. Couldn't think of another crime to use that was far away from what is going on (stealing is too close and blatent, embezzlement is fairly easy to hide in business at least in the short term). I've worked for many a CPA, I know what embezzling is, so that's probably why it stuck in my mind when I came up with the "what if scenario". Definitely all to familiar with it, and no, it doesn't apply to a person selling merchandise on ebay.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-10-2004, 08:58 AM   #20  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Real quick - another thought...what if eBay then forwarded your information to SU about "harrassing" their sellers/buyers. I know we all mean well and our intentions are meant to help SU, but we might want to step back and rethink. I would suggest sending SU emails where the seller may be a demo selling illegally.
eBay doesn't want to lose any money, regardless whether another company's rules are broken or not. I don't & won't support eBay, it's too easy for people to get rid of their surreptitiously obtained material.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-10-2004, 09:22 AM   #21  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

Members are not permitted to email buyers in an open or completed transaction to warn them away from a seller or item. If you have a problem with a transaction, please use the feedback forum and review our Fraud Protection Program
Does this mean that we could use the feedback forum to say a seller is ripping people and SU! off???(semi-joking here!) Im sure we cant,but that was my first thought upon reading Ebays words!!!
Tandra

SA Sistah -Original Swappers Anonymous!
Reply With Quote Likes