Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 01-06-2007, 06:52 PM   #1  
Insane Embellisher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No longer a demo? Your thoughts...

So for those of you who used to be demos and let their demonstratorship run out I'd love to hear how things are now for you. I've been a demo for 2 years, had a great customer base, have 4 downlines, but moved six months ago. Since moving I've been able to find a few customers but am not into being a demo as much as I used to be. I miss having fun with other stampers so thought it might be time for me to be a "customer" again and go to others' stamping events and let someone else do the work.
Just thought I'd find out from those of you that have let go of their demonstrator status to see if you have any regrets. Of course I'd miss all the stampin' success mags, forums, etc. but will be okay either way.
Thanks for sharing...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-06-2007, 06:56 PM   #2  
Kookie Creator

Hi Tracie!!
I let mine go about 6 mos ago. I had just too much starting to go on, I had people arguing all of the time (stamp clubs) and decided it was time for me to give it up. I do miss the stamping and getting together, but I don't miss the stress one bit. I honestly put all of my stamps away and haven't touched them since then. I just had a bad taste in my mouth from everything and I decided to go back to school- so I've been super busy. Just last week I started pulling all of my stamps back out and starting to scrapbook and make cards again. I too am thinking about getting involved in some kind of group or club.

Hook 'em,
audrey
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-06-2007, 07:29 PM   #3  
Stampin' Fool

It's been a couple of years and I have to say I don't miss it. My upline was (is) great and we still get together and do stuff. I am now part of her stamp club. It's so nice being on the other side and to just stamp again. I don't miss the "rah, rah, go SU" attitude. Don't get me wrong, SU is a great company and should be proud of what they have accomplished. It was just getting way to big for me. I did miss the discounts, so I decided to join a smaller company! I have been doing very well with them... winning contests and now doing some design work.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-06-2007, 07:36 PM   #4  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I absolutely love Stampin' Up's products. They are wonderful. I was a demo for four and 1/2 years, seriously for two years. I earned a couple of cruises, I had 37 in my downline and was in the top 30 for recruiting.

I made the decision to leave based on some changes the company made and thought about what I could do to continue stamping and staying in the business.

It has been a great move for me. A couple of my closest friends are still demonstrators and our friendship hasn't changed a bit. (One was my upline, several were in my downline.) They understood my reasons and they support me in what I'm doing now. I still buy SU paper, ink and embellishments and even a stamp set or two.

You don't have to stop stamping if you stop being a demonstrator and your good friends will love you no matter what you do. I've actually found some really cool new friends since I left because I didn't branch away from SU products when I was a demo. (Some demonstrators like a lot of products but I only stayed with SU.) I only hung out with SU demos and used SU stuff. Now I hang out with everyone and it's great.

As far as missing the Stampin' Success Magazine and stuff like that- I have to tell you- Stampin' Up demonstrators are some of the kindest, most generous people who are willing to share all of those ideas with you right here at SCS. If it's in Stampin' Success, you'll see the same things in the gallery and the smae ideas being talked about in the forums. And, if you become a customer again, your demonstrator will share all of those great ideas with you too.

So, do what's in your heart and remember whether for business or pleasure, keep stamping fun.
Good luck with your decision.
Gina K.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-06-2007, 07:56 PM   #5  
Kookie Creator

Default a business that's REALLY your own

Has anyone ever considered running their own business using a non-direct sales stamping company like Hero Arts? It seems it's so hard for an individual consultant to make any money since they don't get a real wholesale discount. Only getting 20% with the other 30% going to pay for commissions for uplines, business development materials and the overall direct-sales machine. I think it would be very cool to run your own home-based stamping business using a company where you actually make 50% on sales. This wouldn't be the ideal business model for someone interested in recruiting and making money that way (which is really the only way to make real money with the direct-sales model). If you are just a one-woman show, it makes sense to optimize profit on sales since that's where you are making your money. Pick a company the offers a full line of supplies and I think you could make it work.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-06-2007, 08:06 PM   #6  
Stampin' Fool

A lot of the non-direct sales companies require you to have store fronts. They've caught on to selling on ebay or internet. Another downfall is the qty minimums (having to purchase in groups of 6 or more). My sister did this for a while, but it's really hard when everybody has a different style and personal taste. She had a big inventory because she wanted to have a little bit of everything; she ended up selling her inventory to a LSS. Her customer base, even though it was pretty big, just wasn't large enough to support it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-07-2007, 04:44 AM   #7  
Insane Embellisher

I'm so glad to hear that there are former demos out there that still stamp and don't have regrets. It's nice to hear from you all!

Quote:

Originally Posted by GinaK
You don't have to stop stamping if you stop being a demonstrator and your good friends will love you no matter what you do. I've actually found some really cool new friends since I left because I didn't branch away from SU products when I was a demo. (Some demonstrators like a lot of products but I only stayed with SU.) I only hung out with SU demos and used SU stuff. Now I hang out with everyone and it's great.Gina K.
This is another thought I had as well. SU products are not the only products out there but feel stuck in a rut since I can only demo these. Glad to hear you mention this point too.
As far as looking into other companies I'm not looking for a business venture at this time. Just looking to simplify things right now. If you do find one that works for you let us know!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-07-2007, 05:09 AM   #8  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I stopped being a demo in December. I never did workshops -- all my customers ordered either at work on through emails. I did not have a huge customer base, but it was growing. I haven't had enough experience since early December to really say for sure how I feel about dropping, but the following is definitely true --

1. without the ease of OEX ordering on line, I haven't ordered a thing from SU since I dropped. Granted, I placed a very large order right before I dropped and the SAB sets aren't singing to me, so I don't feel the need to contact a demo at present. However, if I were a demo, I think I would have placed an order by now. Instead, I've been buying other stuff -- cuttlebug dies, papers, etc. I see myself placing a few big orders in 2007 and that's that.

2. I don't miss placing the orders, collecting checks, going to the bank, etc. This was just a side job for me and it was taking up too much time at a time in my life when time is a priority (how many times can I say "time" in one sentence?LOL).

3. I miss the demo forums a lot. At first, when I came onto SCS and the demo forums no longer appeared, I was like that character Reagan played in a movie years ago who woke up one day to find his legs gone -- "Where's the rest of me?" LOL.

I don't miss the SU publications because they keep sending them to me. I assume I've seen the last of them. I know I will miss seeing the spring mini ahead of time, but frankly, it is out on the internet so quickly that I don't mind it too much. Again, the delay will help me cut down on impulse spending.

4. I still prefer to stamp with SU stuff, although I've seen some clear stamps that look mighty tempting.

5. I am attending some classes with a local SU demo and that is fun.

6. The things that irritated me about SU no longer bother me! And that's a good thing. Now it is just a company and not a passion.

7. I'm glad I can sell my current sets and other current items. That will give me some $$ to buy more stuff.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-07-2007, 05:17 AM   #9  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

My choice to drop was not easy but it was the right decision. I love to teach, I love to create, I hated the "selling" part. So not being a demo for me just meant I was no longer limiting myself to JUST SU products. I am now able to spend my money (which is not alot) on other products. I have some other stamping things I am doing now and I love it! (Hi Gina!)
If I were still to have stayed an SU! Demo I would not have been able to pursue the other opportunities that have come around due to time and $$ constraints.
If you no longer LOVE being a demo, then just chill for awhile see if you miss it...if you do then kick it into high gear to make your minimums...if not...just let it all go and see where the stamping river of life leads you! LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-07-2007, 05:30 AM   #10  
Inking Addict

I am also letting my demo agreement lapse.

The fiasco over the new catalogue and the lack of response from SU really was the final straw for me.

The 20% discount I was given factored against the perks for the uplines doesn't seem quite fair. Mu upline is wonderful--never failed to acknowledge my sending her new customers or leads on new demos by a gift of a free stamp set. She was and is amazing.

I want to be able to use ALL stamping products and love having friends over to create stuff.

The really good thing is that this gallery will always be my source for creative ideas and keeping on top of the stamping world. Thanks and my membership here will never expire!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-08-2007, 01:56 PM   #11  
Insane Embellisher

Thanks again ladies. I'm feeling really good about my decision to let things go and enjoy all aspects of stamping, not just SU. It's time for more fun and less worrying about the business end of it.
I appreciate your input and honesty!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-08-2007, 02:43 PM   #12  
Die Cut Diva

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My demoship will lapse at the end of this month. I am truly blessed with a great upline. The one thing that never changed is that I never stopped going to her workshops. The thing that changed for me. I am not married to SU! Love it, I do, but I'd rather be able to use anything I want anytime I want. I have never done a workshop but I would hate not being able to cuttlebug some backgrounds or use super cute embellishments. I only signed up for the free set and discount and it will be a relief when it's over.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-08-2007, 02:52 PM   #13  
Hardware Hotshot

Mine lapsed in Sept. and I haven't regretted it or missed it at all!!! I've found so many other stamp companies that I prefer......I'm having a ball spending my $ somewhere else....it has really given me room (and money) to explore!!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-08-2007, 03:01 PM   #14  
Gabfest Goddess

I resigned from being a Stampin' Up! demonstrator in September. I was a "business/career" demo for almost 6 years. I was in the top of the company for most of those years, served on the Advisory Board, recruited many demos and had a growing team across the country in 20 states. It was a very tough decision to retire but I am glad I did. I feel that the time I was a demo was a very fun time in my life. I made a ton of friends through my customers & other demonstrators. I was very active in the SU community. My downline got to a point where they were very self-sufficient so I felt it was a good time to resign.

I am still a very big SU supporter and talk about it almost every day to other demos. My "downline" still e-mail me or call me if they have questions. I told them when I resigned that I will always be there for them, and I am. I order my SU stuff through another demo who is not even a part of my team. It's great to be a customer again.

Stampin' Up! blessed our lives in many ways. My DH was a dental student/resident for most of the time and the extra income was amazing. So, for those of you who want to make a business out of this it is very possible!! We moved two times and I started from scratch in 3 different states. The income was enough to pay our rent and pay for any "extras" that we needed.

I guess to answer your question, I am very happy to be a customer again. The part I miss most about being a demonstrator is the business side of it. It was so fun to try to think up ways to get things going and I was the boss. It was great working for myself. I don't miss the workshops, even though I didn't mind them. It's nice to be home with my family at night again.

Robyn

My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-08-2007, 08:32 PM   #15  
Inking Addict

Great question...I would love to hear from others.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-08-2007, 08:59 PM   #16  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by parrothead
Mine lapsed in Sept. and I haven't regretted it or missed it at all!!! I've found so many other stamp companies that I prefer......I'm having a ball spending my $ somewhere else....it has really given me room (and money) to explore!!!!!
Me too! I have no regrets whatsoever about letting my demoship lapse. I have enjoyed the freedom to buy what I please, where I please without the guilt. I was only a hobby demo so I was really feeding my own habit. I honestly don't miss receiving the mini's early, etc. There isn't any pressure anymore to buy each quarter - I now get to choose when I want to buy something.

I love SU's products but I've also discovered that there's a HUGE stamping world out there to be explored. While I appreciate all SU has to offer, I also like to support my LSS's too.

:-) Anne
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-09-2007, 01:31 PM   #17  
Matboard Maniac

As someone who has just entered "pending status" - I received a very nice phone call from DS at SU offering to help me out with advice and hints which is appreciated, but probably won't help me much. I'm like some of you, mostly a hobby demo - feeding my own habit. Now that I have a kid in college - finances are a little tighter than before and the extra $1200 a year will help out a lot. I have more supplies than I can probably use in a year and I'm sure I'll find other places to spend the money, but at least I won't be under pressure to make the minimums for SU. My last few workshops have all ended up with less than $150 in sales each with 8-10 people attending. People want to stamp, they just don't want to buy. It's also very challenging when they are ok to "settle" for HL and M's brands of CS and inks and use coupons.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-09-2007, 04:54 PM   #18  
Polyshrink Goddess

I stopped being a demo a year ago and don't regret it. I was mostly a hobby demo and found myself not enjoying doing the workshops anymore. I found a demo and I am in a stamping club. I found my stamping mojo again.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-12-2007, 04:34 AM   #19  
Pearl-ExPert

Location: Rescuing one dog may not change the world, but for that one dog, the world will be changed forever

Glad to haev found this thread as I too am considerigneither leavingoutright or letting it lapse after Sell A Bration. I'm just notinto it. I feel liekthere is SO much more outthere to buy andshow... I can still have workshops in my home monthly and teach new things to my friends but it won't have to be within SU! guidelines. I can mix n match papers and use other tools :}

Sounds good after reading htis post thanks Gals Kim
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-12-2007, 05:07 AM   #20  
Stazon Splitcoast

Thank you for this thread ... the feedback has been wonderful! Hobby Demos as well as Career Demos have offered their experiences and it is very interesting. I am currently a Hobby Demo who struggled for a little over a year (unsuccessfully) to build a business. I do have one downline but my customers have all fallen away except for two. It's not enough to sustain my minimums anymore because I am not spending a lot of my own money anymore. I too have discovered the big wide world of stamping stuff that's out there and since I'm not doing demos anymore I feel pretty free to spend my $$$ elsewhere. I STILL buy SU! cardstock, ink and stamp sets and always will, just not as much. Plus I have SO much stock built up I don't need a lot. I will likely go into pending after this quarter and I'm pretty OK with it however I think I will miss the sneak peeks, being able to buy SAB sets early, the Demo Forum here (I will REALLLY miss that). The thing I will probly miss the most though is my Uplines meetings. We always had loads of fun and it's a great group. That makes me a little sad :( . I will become her customer though so I'll go to her classes so I'll still see her. I will miss the discount too and my free catalogs. I will kinda miss being able to order for myself 'cause it's convenient BUT sometimes it was a little TOO convenient ... I made a lot of impulse buys that I will now be forced to think about a little longer!

Thanks again for this thread - it makes me feel a lot better about my situation.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-20-2007, 07:25 PM   #21  
Stampin' Fool

Location: I try to live in LaLa Land, but people keep interrupting me!
Smile

I just saw this thread and found it very interesting...

I lapsed I think it was about 2 1/2 yrs ago. (Just around the time they quit the $400.00 hostess gift in the mini catty.) I was tired of fighting about the copyright issues.

I went with another stamp company, I found they are in business in spite of themselves. ;)

Sooo after all that, I haven't stamped for more than a year now. BUT, I have found a wonderful Candle Company and will start stamping again just on candles for now. I do have scrapbooking that needs done, when I get to it. Too much fun with my CandleMaking! :-D
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-20-2007, 10:26 PM   #22  
Matboard Maniac

I've found your thread and read all your posts with interest!

I've just Started as an SU demo in the UK. Well, I've got as far as getting my demo number but am still waiting for my goodies.

As someone just starting out on the SU path, it was very helpful reading what you all wrote about leaving it.

SU is still relatively unknown in the UK and it will be interesting to see how it develops!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-21-2007, 05:30 AM   #23  
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by divafmwView Post
I've found your thread and read all your posts with interest!

I've just Started as an SU demo in the UK. Well, I've got as far as getting my demo number but am still waiting for my goodies.

As someone just starting out on the SU path, it was very helpful reading what you all wrote about leaving it.

SU is still relatively unknown in the UK and it will be interesting to see how it develops!
You will do great! Good luck and have fun with your goodies when they arrive!

My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-21-2007, 07:48 AM   #24  
Kookie Creator

I loved SU when I was with them but switched back about 2 yrs ago to Close To My Heart b/c you only needed to sell a bit per yr to stay a junior consultant and have access to the website/boards & a smaller discount but if you sell more then you get bumped right back up to full consultant status again.

This works for me b/c I want to use and buy other product. Plus I work p/t at a LSS and buy a lot of product there too. So for me this is the best of both worlds. I have my fingers in a lot of pies and I get to buy a variety of product and only put in as much time as I wish to.

My scrapping keeps me happy and has so enriched my life in so many ways and this system is what has worked for me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-21-2007, 09:40 AM   #25  
Polyshrink Goddess

I quit being a SU demo in February. I'm happier now than I was before. My former upline is wonderful about keeping me in the loop about new products and catalog updates. I've gone to unmounted stamps and am stamping more now than I was when I was a demo!!

Do what makes you happy--I did!!

My motto for life: "Less is More"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-21-2007, 10:11 AM   #26  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 76 Likes on 26 Posts

The weekly Michael's and JoAnn's coupons take care of my urge to buy (and, get something at 40-50% off without paying shipping). I love
Stampin Up but I NEVER thought getting a 20% discount was that great of a deal (especially paying expensive shipping costs). They are basically picking up your shipping and you are paying full price for their stuff. Not that great a deal.

Also, check out your local stamp stores (mainly the independents). They do 'garage sales' in our area. I've never sent any of my things over for the sale, but GO there the sale day. TONS of Stampin Up stuff usually at 60-75% off (all retired stuff, but in a non-demo world, the retired stuff is fine with me. Stamps, cardstock, etc.!!!!!!!!!)

Also, check out craigslist.com in your area. TONS of Stampin Up stuff for sale (again, lots at 60-75% off). I hit about 20 garage sales that popped up on craigslist as having Stampin Up stuff, and took home TONS--------SUPER DIRT CHEAP!!!

It's really been hard for me to even THINK about paying Stampin Up full price with the deals I've been finding.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-21-2007, 12:04 PM   #27  
Die Cut Diva

This is an interesting thread for me. I am still a demo but seriously thinking of dropping. I am pretty much a hobby demo so I am pretty much making the minimums on my own. It has gotten to the point that I just can't justify spending that much $ on just one company. I love all sorts of stamping stuff and I will always have a special place in my heart for SU but I probably will make one really big order this year and then let my demo-ship lapse come April. Things could change for me, just met a potential customer and my mom sometimes orders from me but I suspect these next few months will be my last. I too will really miss the demo forums on this site as they feel like my online home.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-21-2007, 12:52 PM   #28  
Stampin' Fool

I stopped being a demo over a year ago and I don't regret it. I miss being able to place my own orders, though, and then the fun of waiting for UPS to arrive. LOL I don't miss the teaching of classes or delivering orders, etc. It's been fun not feeling so restricted in what products I use.
Reply With Quote Likes