Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 03-01-2009, 02:49 PM   #201  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by BeagleloverView Post
I agree that they need to go Acrylic. I love being able to see what I am stamping.

Also, there are many of us who like to sell our cards and awhile back I heard that you couldn't use SU stamps if you were making cards to sell. Is that true?

Teresa

Not true. You just have to stamp an angel stamp in the item that has copyrighted at Stampin Up on it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-01-2009, 02:50 PM   #202  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by StampingVView Post
I love Stampin' Up! but I cannot afford them at this time. I wish I could place an order every month like I use to. But SU also needs to catch up. They have way too many flower stamps and not enough stamps for men and boys. It's hard to make cards for males with flower stamps!:rolleyes:

V
Ditto on al of the above!!! I love SU colors and the way everything can Match.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-01-2009, 03:05 PM   #203  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by BeagleloverView Post
I agree that they need to go Acrylic. I love being able to see what I am stamping.

Also, there are many of us who like to sell our cards and awhile back I heard that you couldn't use SU stamps if you were making cards to sell. Is that true?

Teresa
Absolutely NOT true. You've been able to sell your creations made with SU! images for as long as I've been a stamper, and I was invited to my first workshop over seven years ago! The thing that has changed relatively recently is that SU! lifted the prohibition against selling in "permanent retail locations" like boutiques, craft malls, and online sites like eBay and Etsy.

As far as switching to unmounted and/or clear acrylic stamps, I'd drop my demonstratorship if SU! ever went that route. I really dislike using acrylic blocks with rubber images, and in my experience clear polymer stamps just don't perform the same as rubber. I really like being a demo, though, so thankfully Shelli has stated that there are no plans for the forseeable future to make the switch.

My Stampin' Up! blog
"I'm a time traveler -- I point and laugh at archaeologists." 10th Doctor, "Silence in the Library"
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-01-2009, 05:42 PM   #204  
Rubber Obsessor

I to own several acrylic stamps and they just are not the same as good old rubber. I love SU stamps inks, paper and ribbon. Granted there are other nice rubber and acrylic stamps and I do buy what I like from other companies, but SU are great!. I do have a problem with the shipping rate. I wish they could offer something differnt like spend so much $$$$ get a reduced or free shipping( even if it were twice a year for a month). That being said the tools they have are outstanding and so are the embellisments.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-01-2009, 06:37 PM   #205  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by nestof3View Post
tchk:

...How can anyone say that Bazzill is not nice cardstock? I used to buy kraft and fossil color cardstock from A C Moore at 5 cents a sheet when on sale and it was AMAZING. I still have over 100 sheets because I stocked up. I am glad I did because they no longer sell it. I think it was Paper Company or something like that. It is my favorite kraft cardstock. I have not tried several of the cardstock companies, so without trying them, I cannot say that Stampin Up is the best. The color coordination is great, but quite frankly, the kraft cardstock I have IS as good as or better than Stampin Up.

How can anyone not think that Cuttlebug embossing folders are fabulous? How can anyone not like Clearsnap's Fluid Chalk Inks?
I agree. I have nothing against SU at all, but I started stamping years ago and have never been a "matchy" sort of stamper. I was always attracted to the funkier, collage-type designs for cards. While I very much admire other people's cards that are perfectly matched, I don't place a high priority on my own cards having perfectly matching paper, ink, ribbons, etc. If the elements of the cards coordinate somewhat and/or are from the same color families, that's okay.

My SU experience is very limited. I have a few watercolor panels, some pre-scored cardstock, and one stamp set. I like the SU items, but have collected lots of paper, cardstock, ink, etc. from other companies over the years and have decided to cut back on stamping related purchases for the time being. SU's prodcucts are nice, but I can't afford to make further purchases from them right now.

I've used several brands of cardstock and have found some that are flimsy and some that are quite good. I don't see SU's cardstock quality as far outstripping other major brands, at least from my limited experience with it. I have several ink pads from Ranger, Tsukineko, and Clear Snap. I've found them to be of good quality and see no need to buy SU pads at this time. To each her own, I guess.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-01-2009, 08:34 PM   #206  
Stampin' Fool

I DO remember the time when SU! did NOT allow you to sell the cards you made with their images. Later, they changed.
There are several reasons why I do not buy SU! anymore:

I do not buy any SU! anymore because I got really tired of the shipping and handling fee. 10% is a lot of money. Then there is the sales tax of 7% in NJ and another 7% (which I don't understand) because of the NJ sales tax. Can't figure that part out for the life of me!

Also, I can not store more wood! 10 years of SU! mounted sets was more than enough! I UNMOUNTED them ALL this summer and have never been happier.

And last, I do not like their "style" of stamps anymore. I used to be able to find a lot of sets I liked. Now, nothing interests me.
I now buy a lot of stamps from European companies. SugarNellie, Magnolia, Whiff of Joy, etc. I prefer those styles.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-02-2009, 06:26 AM   #207  
Polyshrink Goddess

With so many stamping stores going under isn't it great we still have so many places to shop from? Someone once said that "variety is the spice of life" and so it is in our stamping.

No one company can please everyone since we are so diverse in our unique talents. And SCS has such talented people who are generous in sharing their ideas and images. I like wood mounted stamps and Stampin Up. It works for me. But again, the diversity of all of you artists out there is what makes this site so awesome.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-02-2009, 07:04 AM   #208  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by kitty14View Post
I do not buy any SU! anymore because I got really tired of the shipping and handling fee. 10% is a lot of money. Then there is the sales tax of 7% in NJ and another 7% (which I don't understand) because of the NJ sales tax. Can't figure that part out for the life of me!
Yup, you are right that SU shipping is 10% of your merchandise total. As for the tax, there is the 7% tax on the items you purchase and then our lovely state of NJ also requires you to pay the 7% tax on the shipping charges as well. It was changed maybe a year or two ago but I am assuming that that is the extra 7% you are talking about. It's b/c you buy from a demo in NJ that you are required to pay for shipping (rather than a company (SU) in UT) and unfortunately that has nothing to do with SU but rather the state that you (we) live in.

My SUO Blog~Merry Stamps
My blog~ Merry Musings

Do you love Tastefully Simple?? Click HERE for fabulous recipes and to browse the catalog!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-02-2009, 07:15 AM   #209  
Stampin' Fool

Thanks for the explanation about that "extra" 7%.

That extra 7% and the fact that SU! has raised its prices to what I consider "too much", are the "straws" that broke this camel's back!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-02-2009, 07:40 AM   #210  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

not a problem!! I wanted to make sure you knew that it wasn't SU charging it but NJ. I know I was pretty bummed myself when they changed that law! I also didn't want you to think it was your demo charging you extra $$ ;)

My SUO Blog~Merry Stamps
My blog~ Merry Musings

Do you love Tastefully Simple?? Click HERE for fabulous recipes and to browse the catalog!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-02-2009, 07:48 AM   #211  
Stampin' Fool

Oh, I KNEW it was not the person who used to be my demo! She has GOT to be the sweetest, most generous ( not to mention creative and talented!) person in the world! She is a real doll!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-02-2009, 07:59 AM   #212  
Forum Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 18 Posts

When I read about the expense of things, I think about what I tell my clients:

Good, Fast, or Cheap - pick two because in most cases you can't have it all

If it's good and fast, then it won't be cheap (takes a lot of resources/people to put out a product in a short amount of time and have a product that is good)

If it's good and cheap, it won't be fast. To keep it cheap you use less people/resources to keep the costs down so it takes longer

If it's fast and cheap, it won't be good. Quality takes time and money.

So for me, I would rather pay more for quality, great service, and wait a little longer to get a product I like.

I think I'll stop complaining about shipping/handling and how long it takes to get something. With all the negative stuff with the economy, I think I'll try to focus on the positive.

I like SU and want them to survive for the quality, the service, and all the jobs they provide. Long Live SU! and all the other companies that provide us with service and quality.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-02-2009, 01:13 PM   #213  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by nestof3View Post
tchk:

I agree with you. I cannot understand with the hundres of different items on the market that someone could emphatically say that everything they sell is the best. Some of the tools they sell aren't even exclusive to them, so this makes no sense to me. EK Success makes their punches, for example.
ROFLMBO! Almost 10 years ago I went to Cozumel with my boyfriend (now husband). We were looking for a scuba place & ran across an ad that boldly stated:
"We're number two! Everyone else is number one."

It still makes me laugh, but 10 years later I still remember them, and wasn't that the point? So, yes, nestof3, I agree with YOU. Not everyone can be the best - and sometimes it pays to be #2!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-02-2009, 03:45 PM   #214  
Die Cut Diva

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by AmberAKAmomView Post
I'm probably a rare one in that I've never used SU stamps. (Well maybe once or twice.) If I had the option to buy them for less money without the wood, then I might buy a few sets. I REALLY don't like wood mounted. But overall most of them are not my style.
I agree with you on this. I have one set and even then I only bought it for one stamp. I'm not crazy about their stamps. I also think they are going to price themselves out of a lot of business in this economy. I think they've become elitist and over priced.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-02-2009, 05:21 PM   #215  
Insane Embellisher

I started out stamping with SU many years ago and quickly fell in love with their products. With very few exceptions, my craft budget was spent with SU. But the last two years or so, the designs have mostly been circles, doodles, flowers and things that look like they were drawn by children. Consequently, I wasn't spending nearly as much as I had been.

I was familiar with Papertrey Ink from when they were a member company here at SCS. When they released "Everyday Blessings" last year, I had to have it. Then I tried their white cardstock and I fell in love with it. I love SU colored cardstock but I never cared for their white or vanilla because they were so flimsy. Now I have several PTI sets and their white, vanilla and true black card stock, along with a big wish list. Nichole has a knack for combining trendy with classic and her stamp designers and design team are first class.

When I started stamping, SU was THE premier company. They have a lot of competition now and it's hard to resist.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-02-2009, 05:41 PM   #216  
Rubber Obsessor

I think in this hobby there is so much variety and so many different opinions that it really just depends on the person. I love SU! but I am a CTMH consultant. I only buy a few SU! a year. I love CTMH stamps, but I Love PTI cardstock. I think part of what I like about this hobby is that you do not need to match perfectly in your creations, and part of the art is finding things that aren't made to be together fit together..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-02-2009, 06:29 PM   #217  
Watercolor Wizard

I love SU, I too can not afford to buy monthly, but I love there products. And though I use unmounted stamps I also love wood block stamps.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-02-2009, 07:04 PM   #218  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

That extra 7% and the fact that SU! has raised its prices to what I consider "too much", are the "straws" that broke this camel's back!
I can't think of much, if anything, that costs what it did in 1988 (the year SU! started)... or even what it cost just five years ago! There have been precious few across-the-board price increases on SU! products in the past 20 years, and I think we ought to consider it an indication of how much the company wants to keep things as affordable as they can that they held out on raising prices for as long as they did!

My Stampin' Up! blog
"I'm a time traveler -- I point and laugh at archaeologists." 10th Doctor, "Silence in the Library"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-03-2009, 09:30 AM   #219  
Cardstock Collector

Default Shipping costs too expensive

I love SU products, but will be rethinking how much I will buy in the future. Recently, I placed a $350+ order. By the time shipping and taxes were added, it was almost $50!! I looked at the shipping weight, and calculated the the rate from Utah to me...and it was NOT $35+!!! Plus companies that do a lot of shipping get a discounted shipping rate. I feel sort of ripped off. Plus there are a LOT of Rubberstamp companies that will give you free shipping for orders under $100...why can't SU do this??
I too think SU should give us the option of Mounted or unmounted.
I love how Darcie stamps offers unmounted (red rubber)sets in nice plastic storage cases..they sure do save a lot of space. Wish SU would offer this as well. I"m running out of storage space.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-03-2009, 01:09 PM   #220  
Die Cut Diva

I LOVE SU ink, cs and stamps!

Now that that's out of the way, I am starting to get discouraged by SU.

Too many flower stamps
Not enough masculine stamps
Not enough kid/teen stamps
Too many doodle image stamps (alot of them look like a 6 year old drew them)
Not enough realistic images (ie: animals, nature, etc...)

I also would HATE for them to go to acrylic (love rubber), but I would LOVE for them to give us the option of bare rubber, cling mounted, regular cushion (sticky on both sides like what they use now) or wood mounted. I have unmounted most of my sets (leaving the cushion on and using Aleens TIO&O and it saves soooo much room, which is extremely important to me.

With them teaming up with Sizzix, why would a person want to buy the Non-Exclusive dies or Texture Plates from SU??? I can use a coupon at Joann's or Michaels and get the same thing with a 40% coupon and NOT have to pay for shipping. Or for that matter, alot of other tools and accessories.:confused:

I do not like the fact that almost every new DSP has the InColors. There have been so many times that I loved the DSP, but I refuse to buy the ink pad and card stock to match. I know that you don't have to, but if there's matching ink and cs, I will have to buy it. That's how they get you!....Well, at least me. ;)

And now that they have more competition they've raised their prices, they're gonna end up pricing themselves out of business. In the last 2 or 3 years they've raised their prices with just about every (if not every) new catalog that came out. Oh....I also have to absolutely love a set if I'm going to pay $24.95 or more.

To the OP....SU is wonderful for someone just starting to stamp. It's not too overwhelming and everything matches. After awhile, some peoples taste change whereas SU tends to stay relatively the same. And there are so many different choices now that's it's downright hard to be SU exclusive.
This last catalog I found a total of 4 new stamp sets for my wishlist (compared to finding 15 sets a couple of years ago). I have already ordered the 4 sets;) so now for my monthly stamp club meeting I'll be ordering cs and the couple of other sets from the previous catalog that I didn't get a chance to order (so glad they're going back to 1 catty a year). I'm getting more picky about the stamps I get due to space to store the items, the price of SU stamps, and the cost of postage and taxes.

Hopefully all of the responses that you've received to your post has answered your question and gives you a better understanding as to why some people have stopped using SU.

Tammy:cool:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-03-2009, 02:32 PM   #221  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2goofyView Post
I
With them teaming up with Sizzix, why would a person want to buy the Non-Exclusive dies or Texture Plates from SU??? I can use a coupon at Joann's or Michaels and get the same thing with a 40% coupon and NOT have to pay for shipping. Or for that matter, alot of other tools and accessories.:confused:
One thing to consider about this issue, is that not everyone has a "local" Mike's or Jo's. We only have one of each within a 30 mile radius and neither one of them has the Sizzix dies that SU! sells. So I would still have to order them online and pay shipping. Plus, no one at Jo's or Mike's is going to show me all the awesome things I can do with those dies or tools. Hopefully your demo is so fabulous that you would rather give her a few extra dollars and be able to learn from her, than to save a couple of bucks and put it the hands of someone you don't know and get no training to boot.

MY PINTEREST BOARDS MY BLOG MY WEBSITE
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-03-2009, 03:18 PM   #222  
Pearl-ExPert

I have just read this entire thread...Took an age! There are so many points to comment on!!

Ok I am Australian and therefore have not been exposed to SU (officially) until the last couple of years. I have been stamping since the 90's and have so many wonderful stamps from so many wonderful companies...We have some beauties here in Australia: Stamp It Aust., Lucy's, Amazing Creations, Collections etc etc ...and others now out of business. I have a gizzillion stamps from Hero Arts, PB, Non Sequitor, PSX, Rubber Poet etc etc. I also have a few SU sets. I love the variety in stamping with different companies. I never want to be restricted. It is way too much fun to shop around.

It seems at present...and this may be because there is a huge influx of ladies diverging from scrapping that the trend has swung back to uber cute. Where I don't mind a bit of cute, I do hope companies out there continue to cater for people who have eclectic styles. It is also a bit disappointing that lots of stamps (SU) are being geared for scrappers only. In this I guess they are gearing to what they see the future market to be.

I agree with all the comments about being able to buy singularly if desired. I also believe that the cost is becoming prohibitive. As to the rubber...I am a very experienced stamper. I have rubber. I have clear. I am not buying much clear any more as I really do not see them lasting the distance. The older clear sets are becoming problematic. (And yes, I did read up on them, but I am suspicious of them, nontheless!) I am in total agreement on this point with stamphappy1650. The option for UM should always be there. Lots of us prefer working with Ums...the space thing being our major concern....followed quickly by the half price factor! You can imagine how much space we don't have after being involved with this addiction for so long! I love rubber. I have old school merit stamps from the 60's which are fully functional stamping rubber.

I have acquired many inks over the years such as Adironack (which do not sag in the middle EVER), Colourbox Chalks (My pick for the beginner stamper), StayzOn (the Opaque ones are gorgeous but I mainly stamp with the Black) and of course Brilliance, along with the specialty ones for certain techniques. I have some inkpads of SUs now, but I am unhappy to hear all the comments that the SU ones will sag on me...That is not gunna be good! No way on this planet could I work with just one brand of ink!

Cardstock. I am a Bazzill girl. Bazzill has such a variety. It keeps its colour! (I did read about fading on this thread with the SU card!) I do have one set of each of the SU cardstock of which I have sampled a bit, but quite frankly, they will just sit there. Bazzill does it for me. (And of course, I respect that is a purely subjective comment...It is not intended to stir anyone up! I like bananas..you like apples)

Markers and such. I fully equipped myself well before SU hit our shores on colouring materials, so I cannot comment on SUs. I still have Tombows, Marvy Markers, Lyra Crayons, Prisma Pencils to work with. All give such a great variety....not to mention heaps of techniques.

I am not on a SU bashing tirade. SU is just another company out there selling stash! The stamps I do have are great. All the other stuff, I basically had before they came here, so I am sticking with what I have. The brands I have all work really well.

My main concern here is that SU doesn't take over and we have a situation where other companies fold. (As it floods our market, the initial enthusiasm to buy only SU may affect other businesses. I just hope it doesn't coz I so like to choose from just about anywhere!) I don't like monopolies of any sort. We end up paying bigtime with monopolies.

In summary, I think people just go with what they like. I know SU have a good thing going to hook beginner stampers. But always remember there is a whole big stamping world out there just waiting to be explored. SU is part of that, but I will never see it as the only or even the main source of acquiring my stuff.

Last edited by shellpole; 03-03-2009 at 03:21 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-03-2009, 03:36 PM   #223  
Pearl-ExPert

Oh to experince coupons of any variety. We do not do coupons in Australia, and I can tell you we all read those posts concerning them with great envy!

Quote:

Originally Posted by skdeleeuwView Post
One thing to consider about this issue, is that not everyone has a "local" Mike's or Jo's. We only have one of each within a 30 mile radius and neither one of them has the Sizzix dies that SU! sells. So I would still have to order them online and pay shipping. Plus, no one at Jo's or Mike's is going to show me all the awesome things I can do with those dies or tools. Hopefully your demo is so fabulous that you would rather give her a few extra dollars and be able to learn from her, than to save a couple of bucks and put it the hands of someone you don't know and get no training to boot.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-03-2009, 04:05 PM   #224  
Stazon Splitcoast

I don't know...I don't find SU expensive. I can buy a whole set of stamps (maybe 4 or 6) that work together for $15, but a single HM is almost that. You only get two Fluffles or Changitos for that. I rarely buy single stamps because I like having a bunch of images that work together...like pinecones the right size for a branch, or leaves to match a flower, etc.

It's only been in about the last year that I've branched out...and I blame it totally on my addiction to SCS I am a definite RUBBER fan...I don't get a good image from any acrylics that I have. I do however wish SU would offer the cling mount/unmounted option...I always buy unmounted/cling when given the option from other companies. To me, that's the best of both worlds...rubber quality images, with smaller storage space and see through blocks.

There's just too much out there to be limited to one company, even tho I am a demo for SU. They can't please everyone! I'm glad there's a great variety of companies out there to choose from.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-03-2009, 04:24 PM   #225  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

ITA with several others. I'm in Canada and started stamping before stamping was "cool". I'm talking 20 + years.

SU! is BY FAR my fave company, mainly because I can get several stamps for what it would cost to sometimes buy one at Michael's (coupons notwithstanding).

That being said, I do have several acrylics (Thanks Kim!) and several unmounted too (Thanks Emily!).

I love the feel of a wood block in my hand and would be saddened if SU! went acrylic.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-03-2009, 05:16 PM   #226  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

I am simply passionate about Stampin Up products....especially the quality of their papers and inks. I have bought all my base stamps from them, but my "cute" stamps tend to come from elsewhere. I have to admit that I think I can do a great deal more with my base stamps than I can with the cute ones I bought for a particular purpose or on a whim. I will always be true to Stampin Up as they did introduce me to stamping (thanks to my demonstrator Beth). So variety is the spice of life - but monthly orders from stampin up will probably continue for a while (smiles).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-03-2009, 06:10 PM   #227  
Matboard Maniac

I got tired of cutting the rubber! I have plenty of floral stamps and SU lost the appeal. I too, have boys and see nothing interesting to stamp using SU.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-03-2009, 06:29 PM   #228  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by skdeleeuwView Post
Sorry about that. I used to live away far from stores, and I've forgotten what it's like. I now have 3 Michaels and 1 Joanns within 5 miles of me.

I do have a wonderful demo and we get together once a month for a stamp club. Actually she's too good because I've bought stamp sets that I had no intention of buying.;) But when it comes to certain things like:

Cutting Mat
Cluzzle Cutting System
Crafters' Tool Kit
Paper Cutter
Hobby Blade
Stamp-a-ma-jig
Crop-A-Dile
VersaMark
SazOn Ink Pads
Stipple Brushes
Brayer
Aqua Painter
Crystal Effects
Tombow Multi Purpose Adhesive
2-Way Glue Pen
SNAIL Adhesive (I don't use any of since I got my ATG 714)
Dotto
Sticky Strip
Dimensionals
Glue Dots
and now the Non-Exclusive SU Sizzix items

I go somewhere and use a coupon. Actually I have all of these items that I got at Jo's, M's and HL.

Now I did buy the SU Heat Tool because I used one and it heated up alot faster than mine and it cooled off faster.

I look at it like this, I save money buying these items somewhere else so that gives me more money to buy stamps and cs.;)

I know that individual stamps like House Mouse and Penny Black are pricey, that's why I only have a few HM stamps and 1 wood Penny Black stamp. The HM stamps that I have were purchased at HL when the stamps were 50% off. I have several Penny Black stamps that I recently purchased. They are acrylic. There are several images in each package and they were $12-$18. I prefer rubber, but buying the acrylic gets me several images that I want. There's still a few images that I want, but I'll either hope that they make them into acrylic, HL starts carrying them, or break down and buy 1 or 2 wood mounts that I have to have (at $8 to $12 each).

I think that my demo probably LOVES me. I've spent ALOT of money with her over the last couple of years. I have all 48 of the classic ink pads and the refills along with the Color Caddy and Extender Kit. I have all 48 markers. I have 4 sets (not neutral) of the Watercolor Wonder Crayons. I have the Watercolor Pencils and the Stampin' Pastels. This isn't even including all of the cs and stamp sets that I've purchased. The first time that it was my turn to be hostess, I spent a little over $700.:rolleyes: I did use some of our tax money that we got back for that order. Since then, I've behaved myself. I tend to spend around $40 to $60 a month, but I need to change that. The month of February I did go a little nuts and spent a total of $136, but I was the hostess and I got 2 SAB sets with my order and then another SAB set due to the order going over $300. Luckily the next couple of months I'm just going to be purchasing cs and a couple of sets from the mini occasions catalog.

Tammy:cool:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-03-2009, 07:43 PM   #229  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by punchaddictView Post
I got tired of cutting the rubber! I have plenty of floral stamps and SU lost the appeal. I too, have boys and see nothing interesting to stamp using SU.
You know that all the stamps come pre-trimmed now, right? Just peel and stick! :mrgreen: There is also some super-cute stuff for boy-themed projects in the current catalog!

My Stampin' Up! blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2009, 06:23 AM   #230  
Cardstock Collector

I used to buy SU, but have not bought any for about 1.5 years because: 1-Seemed like their stuff all was simply revamped from older sets and there was nothing new. 2-When they refused to go UM and later clear stamps I lost interest in a company that refused to stay cutting edge, 3-the prices are simply outrageous, 4-they are not a green company and the use of wood really offends me, particularly when so many people don't want the wood--and yes, I don't care if the trees are particular grown for SU as they are still using land, resources 5-those darned sagging ink pads and no willingness to deal with that bothers me greatly, 6-excessive shipping costs on small orders, 7-giving their hardworking demos such a paltry commission and making them pay more than cost for supplies used for parties and clubs (I have heard they make a huge profit off their demos for this reason), 7-setting it up so demos have to buy new sets constantly, 8-poor customer service, 9-form responses to emails that don't even address the questions asked, 10-price gouging on products you can get in stores for much less, 11-general refusal to listen to what the customers want.

I predict that they are going to slowly go under. I imagine they will cut back in the near future. What do you want to bet that the 2 catalogs per year are not selling what they expected.

On the other hand, companies like Papertrey, Hero Arts, Crafty Secrets, and others are just stepping up all over the place. I used to order all my card stock from SU, but Papertrey came out with better colors, better ink, higher quality cardstock, free shipping after $55, and you can get your order in 48 hours where I live. Additionally, SU's shipping got so slow that it would take a week for my order to even be picked!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2009, 08:29 AM   #231  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 857 Likes on 282 Posts

First off, I realize that we are all entitled to our opinions this poster as well as myself. I'm really sorry this poster has had such a negative SU experience however I think some things were said that are far from accurate therefore, I am offering up my opinion about some specific things that were addressed in this post.

2-When they refused to go UM and later clear stamps I lost interest in a company that refused to stay cutting edge, clear stamps are not the end all and be all of stamps. Every company doesn't have to be like every other company. It would be boring if all companies sold the same stuff. SU can't change everything at once- I have a feeling they will eventually offer an unmounted option...because more and more demos and customers alike are expressing their wishes for unmounted rubber
3-the prices are simply outrageous, when comparing apples to apples (SU WM to WM you get other places. SU is the much better deal. 4-they are not a green company and the use of wood really offends me, particularly when so many people don't want the wood--and yes, I don't care if the trees are particular grown for SU as they are still using land, resourceswood is biodegradable and non-toxic, the manufacture of acrylic & plastics is much more toxic to this earth than something the earth grows. Does your dislike of SU using wood blocks carry over to your everyday life? meaning you don't buy things in cardboard boxes, use paper,pencils, etc? And since when is an acrylic "green"? 5-those darned sagging ink pads and no willingness to deal with that bothers me greatly, 6-excessive shipping costs on small orders,I've seen much more unreasonable shipping charges than what SU requires 7-giving their hardworking demos such a paltry commission and making them pay more than cost for supplies used for parties and clubs (I have heard (did you do your own research or do you always listen to speculation)they make a huge profit off their demos for this reason) where on earth did you get that info from?! they in part make a profit (that may or may not be more than other similar company's because they are debt free) If the greater majority of demos were unhappy with their commission then they wouldn't be demos would they? , 7-setting it up so demos have to buy new sets constantly,generally speaking demos buy what they want to buy. most of the stamps I demo i have had for a year or more- but it's also fun to have some trendier new ones. As business people we choose what we think is best for our business 8-poor customer service, 9-form responses to emails that don't even address the questions asked,can you clarify poor customer service? i think SU's return/exchange policy is one of the most lenient on the planet. You can't return unopened electronics to any store and get a cash refund..not even if it's within days. 10-price gouging on products you can get in store for less in most cases you can only get it (identical item) less with a coupon 11-general refusal to listen to what the customers want.just because a company doesn't do what every customer wants today doesn't mean they don't listen. If companies respond to every customer's demands then there would be no consistency anywhere. one day we would go to a store and be able to get this item and the next day it wouldn't be there because somebody didn't like the product. When was the last time you went to michael's (for example) and demanded they start stocking new cb folders or nestabilities and they actually listened? I know my michael's hasn't had any change in cb embossing folders since the cb first came out. As a matter of fact the only thing that changes with any consistency in their stores is the seasonal stuff.

I predict that they are going to slowly go under. I imagine they will cut back in the near future. What do you want to bet that the 2 catalogs per year are not selling what they expected. that might be a big reason that as of the next catty they are going back to one a year.all companies have to cut back. the economy sucks. as a demo though, my business is doing better than ever

I'm sorry you have had a horrible experience with SU...but maybe before you slam them with they aren't this and they aren't that (specifically the "green" issue) you might want to be a little more thorough in your research. Because they are greener than any clear stamp manufacturer out there.

On the other hand, companies like Papertrey, Hero Arts, Crafty Secrets, and others are just stepping up all over the place. I used to order all my card stock from SU, but Papertrey came out with better colors, better ink, higher quality cardstock, free shipping after $55, and you can get your order in 48 hours where I live. Additionally, SU's shipping got so slow that it would take a week for my order to even be picked! SU has periods of time where shipping is slower but as a matter of record the only time I've ever had a delayed shipping time is at the beginning of a new promotion or catty. volume is great at these times so it is expected for order processing to take a little longer. The timing of implementing the new shipping system was probably a little skewed and there unfortunately have been more glitches than they anticipated. And my observations have been that since they went to two catty's a year and in their efforts to change/add so many things and trying to offer customers even more specials than ever, they got in a little over their heads. Trying to change too many things too fast is just as detrimental as not changing at all. I really think it's better to try and keep things in perspective.

Last edited by beaddict; 03-04-2009 at 08:34 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2009, 09:21 AM   #232  
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess

Quote:

Originally Posted by nelliepupView Post
I used to buy SU, but have not bought any for about 1.5 years because: 1-Seemed like their stuff all was simply revamped from older sets and there was nothing new. 2-When they refused to go UM and later clear stamps I lost interest in a company that refused to stay cutting edge, 3-the prices are simply outrageous, 4-they are not a green company and the use of wood really offends me, particularly when so many people don't want the wood--and yes, I don't care if the trees are particular grown for SU as they are still using land, resources 5-those darned sagging ink pads and no willingness to deal with that bothers me greatly, 6-excessive shipping costs on small orders, 7-giving their hardworking demos such a paltry commission and making them pay more than cost for supplies used for parties and clubs (I have heard they make a huge profit off their demos for this reason), 7-setting it up so demos have to buy new sets constantly, 8-poor customer service, 9-form responses to emails that don't even address the questions asked, 10-price gouging on products you can get in stores for much less, 11-general refusal to listen to what the customers want.

I predict that they are going to slowly go under. I imagine they will cut back in the near future. What do you want to bet that the 2 catalogs per year are not selling what they expected.

On the other hand, companies like Papertrey, Hero Arts, Crafty Secrets, and others are just stepping up all over the place. I used to order all my card stock from SU, but Papertrey came out with better colors, better ink, higher quality cardstock, free shipping after $55, and you can get your order in 48 hours where I live. Additionally, SU's shipping got so slow that it would take a week for my order to even be picked!
Wow I don't even know what to say! As a member of SCS for just a few days and your first post you're pretty open about your feelings!

I have to agree with everything Beaddict said, plus I'd like to add that SU! doesn't force me to be a demo, I knew what my commission would be and they certainly don't "force" me to buy anything that I don't want.

I too am sorry if you had a bad exiperience.

Love SU!? Join the Crew!
The CreativeCrew <The Gallery
CreativeCrew Play Along <The Challenges

Last edited by pattyb; 03-04-2009 at 09:22 AM.. Reason: spelling
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2009, 09:43 AM   #233  
Glitter Guru

I would like to see stamp sets offered both with and without wood. If SU backed the unmounted stamps with EZMount, so they'd be good to go right out of the box, I'd even pay the same for a set that didn't have the wood mounts.

In my experience, rubber gives a sharper image than clear -- perhaps primarily because it's way too easy to "squish" the clear stamps and get a fuzzy image. Unmounted rubber backed with EZM/clingfoam and used with an acrylic block is the best of both worlds, IMO.

I'd also like to see fewer flower sets (or more sets that are not flowers) and a wider offering of sentiment sets that do not contain a religious reference. And a few sets that are kinda funky and "out there" would be fun to see.

I'd be over the moon if I could buy single stamps. That tree in Thoughts and Prayers would be mine mine mine!!!

All that said, one thing I've noticed in my short time here is that SU does listen to their Demos & customers. Just in the last few weeks, SU has announced that there will be no more double-mounted sets (although alphas will remain DM, I think?). Additionally, they'll be going back to a single catalog per year starting in July of this year.

SU also made a split-second (for the corporate world) decision to make some of the Easter/Spring sets in the latest mini available to customers early (when only Demos "should" have been able to purchase them). This was in response to Demos saying that their customers would have no time to create holiday cards & goodies if they had to wait until the scheduled release date.

All these changes were in response to Demo/customer feedback, and some of them occurred within days of the first emails sent to SU detailing the concerns. Perhaps not all the issues that come up with SU will be handled so quickly and happily, but, as a new Demo, I'm impressed with SU's willingness to listen and try to resolve problems.

I wish the company a bright future!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2009, 09:49 AM   #234  
Insane Embellisher

although I still like SU, I agree with Nellipup that SU has some serious problems to address. They've become such a large company, that aren't able to make changes quickly. They have made numerous bad business decisions.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2009, 11:07 AM   #235  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Originally Posted by klhbensonView Post
although I still like SU, I agree with Nellipup that SU has some serious problems to address. They've become such a large company, that aren't able to make changes quickly. They have made numerous bad business decisions.
I find this comment very interesting. "They have made numerous bad business decisions." NAME THEM! This is a company that has been in BUSINESS 20 years and operates with NO DEBT! Can you name another DSA or stamp company that does this and has been in business 20 years??? I'm betting NOT! While they have made some decisions that some people don't agree with, and we (as demos) have let them know..they are not above reversing decisions that we tell them we don't like. The 12 x 12 cardstock issue a few years back comes to mind and while a lot of demos are very happy about going back to one catalog, I'm not that excited but I TRUST SU to do what is best for business. Like I said, they haven't been around 20 years for nothing!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2009, 11:38 AM   #236  
Pearl-ExPert

There are always 2 sides to every fence. And sometimes it's really easy to be swayed as to which side of the fence we want to be on.

I've been with SU since '96. I've seen a lot of growth and changes in SU And most of the changes come with moaning and groaning and gnashing of teeth! But in the end SU demos and customers are free to voice their feelings - which SU may or may not accept. Then the demos and customers can either accept the changes or not.

And do you know how many times I've heard that SU is going to fold because of 'x' decision????

But SU keeps going - STRONG! I don't see SU folding anytime in the near or far future. Back in '96 I thought stamping was a fad and I would just ride the wave for a few years. Here it is 13 years later for me, and 20 years for SU. And they are still going strong!

Last year I was on the side of the fence that wanted acrylic and/or unmounted stamps. But after using them for a year, I am back on the side of the fence that wants a wood mounted, high quality stamp.

Good thing there are enough choices in the stamping world that we can have what we want.

Maybe not everyone is as thrilled with this company as I am, and it hurts to see their name drug thru the mud.

Bottom line for me - 13 years with SU has given me some great experiences both as a demo and as a stamper. I'm glad they are still around and here to stay for the long haul!

Last edited by stampin8mom; 03-04-2009 at 11:43 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2009, 11:53 AM   #237  
Glitter Guru

I have not seen SU make numerous bad business decisions. Actually, to the contrary, they are a debt-free company as that alone seems pretty smart in this day and age. I do think that many companies have to take stock and rethink the direction that they are going in to remain competitive in this really tough economy. They seem to be on the right track.

I agree, a company literally cannot be all things to all people. As this is a hobby, everyone has different tastes and needs and wants. I do like most of their stamp sets but do think that they could have a bit of variety. I happen to like flowers but agree, I have enuf flowers to sink a battleship right now. SU is certainly NOT making me buy anything. I choose to buy what I like and what I want. I have a flexible craft budget and can buy what I want so I prefer to buy things I really like and know are the quality I expect. I am willing to pay for that.

I have bought single stamps at Hobby Lobby and they were not complete images! There were areas that did not stamp. They were totally defective! Even though I used a 50% off coupon, I was still pretty unhappy. took them back but every single stamp that I looked at had a defect so thats when I said "forget it!" I have bought SU ever since. I do not like acrylic at all. I dont get the image I like. Granted I havent tried all brands, but I have to actually LIKE a stamp to bother buying it and I just havent cared for any company's stamps enuf to buy them.

Everyone certainly has a right to their opinions but I do feel that some who are "generalizing" about being an SU demo if they arent one may not be fully aware of the complete details. I signed up a year ago with no intention of selling SU, just buying and have been meeting my minimums on my own, very easily, I must say. No one at SU is holding a gun to our heads telling us to buy. Like any other addiciton, sometimes people spend money they shouldnt have, buy something then have buyers remorse, etc. THAT is not SUs fault so if there is a demo saying she is being forced to buy all the new stuff, that is simply in her head and not true at all!

Last edited by kspiv; 03-04-2009 at 11:56 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2009, 12:52 PM   #238  
Hardware Hotshot

Wow, this thread is getting pretty heated.

I have been to two different SU! demo's over the past year. I'm not a fan of going. I feel like I had too much creativity to sit there and be told how to do it. That is what I love about SCS, is that I can look at what other people have done and then do it how it suits my needs. Now this has nothing to do with actual SU! products.

Everything I have used of SU! so far, I like. I have one of their sets and I like their Simply Scrappin' sets. I am mainly a scrapbooker and I don't feel (meaning for you it may be different) like their stamps are geared toward scrapbooking. But maybe it is just that I scrap in a different style. I don't know.

My major issue with SU! is that it is a multi-marketing set-up. You have an up-line who has an up-line and so forth. I don't like that.

Also, I like UM. That is one of the reasons I have been buying Unity Stamps. They are red rubber, because I find that there is a significant different between acrylic and rubber and I do prefer rubber in general. Unity has stamps on thin wood mounts (that come as signles) that slide into their handles and their sets all come in unmounted rubber that cling to acrylic blocks. Unity is on SCS, in case you are interested.
Kelli ~ "Pleasant words are as an honeycomb, sweet to the soul, and health to the bones." Proverbs 16:24
My blog ~ My Gallery 2018 Scrap Goal 8/12
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2009, 01:10 PM   #239  
Kookie Creator

I don't think that SU needs to go with clear stamps to keep up with the trends. I do think they need to offer unmounted stamps, but even if they decide to do that, some UM people will still be unhappy. I am UM and do not use any cushion on my rubber, but others like cushion on thier UM stamps. I would be unhappy paying for the cushion if it came along since I would have to remove it and the waste for me is still gonna be there.What's SU to do?!!

I love rubber and clear stamps. I buy the images I like as long as they are reasonably priced. I have spent several thousand dollars on SU in a little over 2 years, but now I'm not as thrilled with their design choices. I'm also not happy with their shipping times. I don't care how many orders a company gets, they should make sure they have enough people and merchandise to fill those orders in a timely manner. SU knows when the heavy ordering will be so why don't they hire more people for those times? I also don't like excuses from online companies for long processing and shipping times.

About SU shipping costs - I don't know. I know that each of my orders has been over 35lbs., and I've paid between $35 to $75 for for shipping on those orders. I'm sure the $75 was overkill for that particular order, but the $35 to $40 are probably close to actual costs. What ticks me off is that it's labelled shipping and handling so my state makes me pay tax on it. I think handling is part of the job of being a business and shouldn't be considered part of shipping costs. I'm pretty sure the actual cost of the people filling the orders is built into the cost of the products SU is selling.

I do understand why their prices are as high as they are. They have to make a profit after they take out the 20% the demos get. I don't like that things cost as much as they do, especially since I don't need a demo to show me how to use things, but it sure helps to have a demo when the website isn't doing what it's suppossed to. I knew that purchasing from a company like SU was going to cost more ahead of time, and I made the decision to still get sucked into the matchy matchy stuff. Since I'm going to spend so much on their papers and inks, I make sure to be selfish about my orders. I only order when I can afford to be my own party with all hostess benefits for myself.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2009, 03:19 PM   #240  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by nelliepupView Post

oh my word, I am laughing so hard, trying to picture what your world must look like.
Gosh, where to start, ............ I am curious what you sit on in your home, what you sleep on, and what in the world is your house made of????

If the use of wood offends you, "why are you even crafting" or is it ok that paper is made of wood because you like using paper.

If using wood offends you, go into an acrylic manufacturing plant where you have to wear protective body gear just to be around the fumes because they are so noxious and poisonous that it would be a pleasure just to be offended!

You want to use plastic that will never break down, but only destroy the earth after a matter of time, that is fine, go for it, but Please, do not sit and talk about "anyone" who uses wood, the most natural resource in the world as not being green until you KNOW all the facts! Instead, take a few minutes an look up the word "acrylic" and find out what goes into the making of it and the killing chemicals that are used to produce it.

You really need to quit listening to silly chatter about us poor demos and how used we are and get facts to back up some of your statements that really do "offend".:rolleyes:
Reply With Quote Likes