Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 03-05-2008, 01:06 PM   #1  
Insane Embellisher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No room to stamp in!

I was just wondering how many of you don't have a place to stamp? By this I mean a place where no kids or husbands or animals can get at your creations and destroy them?

We moved about five months ago and are waiting for our new house to be finished and right now I have no place to stamp!! If I want to stamp the kids have to be sleeping and then I must search through about 6-7 boxes of stamping supplies to get a project going (that's if I can find everything) It's so frusterating!! I have tried several time's becuase I really really needed to stamp (stamping used to be very calming and relaxing and the only thing I had for myself) but every time I try I don't get very far. Someone will wake up and I have to put everything I found away, because two year old boy's just seem to get into everything! Or it takes multiple try's to get a card completed, where before it took onlya day, in between naps and after the kids went to bed.

So anyway sorry for rambling, I'm just really ready for a stamping space again it don't matter how small just somewhere I can have everything out and work on my creations until thery are done!

I know not everybody has the room needed for this very addicting hobby, so I was also wondering if any of you have some tips for staying organized when you literally don't have the room to be organized!

The only thing I've been doing that make's a project easier(after getting everything together) is to keep the materials needed in one container, so when you have to clean up next time you can get started relatively quick. But it's still hard because you'll get a brain wave and then it'll take 15 minutes to find the stuff your looking for!

I guess I started rambling again!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-05-2008, 01:44 PM   #2  
Kookie Creator

I don't have a stampin room either!! I keep all of my supplies on a book case in my dining room and I sit at the dining room table and just take the stuff off of the shelf as I need it. But I understand your pain about leaving your creations out. I don't have any kids but my cat is pretty curious and ribbon is a little to tempting for her!

I guess I don't really have any solutions. Maybe just organize them somehow and store them high on a bookcase if you have one around that way it's all there but the kids can't reach it? Good luck!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-05-2008, 01:49 PM   #3  
Stazon Splitcoast

I know your pain too well - my stuff is in four drawers in my bedroom and my stamping space is basically my bedside table.

We started our International move 20 months ago now!!!! - I have stuff in storage containers in the corner of the bedroom - I will be so happy when this "phase" of our life is over.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-05-2008, 01:53 PM   #4  
Matboard Maniac

I don't have a room either. I usually take over the kitchen table and have a travel rolling scrap tote I use quite a bit with the basics and some stamps.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-05-2008, 02:07 PM   #5  
Forum Fanatic

I dont have a place either! I stamp here at the computer desk and right beside me is our bedroom closet which is where all my stuff is in my rolling orginizers and a big book shelf!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-05-2008, 02:11 PM   #6  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Well, I have a room. A whole spare bedroom, with a walk in closet, but I still have no room to actually stamp. It is always such an incredible mess, that I have to stamp my images in another room.

I am bad...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-05-2008, 02:14 PM   #7  
Insane Embellisher

I have turned my living room into my scrap zone, but it is still open to kid, husband and pets. Luckily everyone knows not to touch Mommy's stuff.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-05-2008, 02:27 PM   #8  
Gabfest Goddess

I don't have my own room. My stuff is on one wall of our bedroom. My husband built this great desk and shelving for me and I love it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-05-2008, 03:32 PM   #9  
Die Cut Diva

I have an office/homeschool room/scrap & stamp storage room. It's a small space (9x9) so it's only for storage. There is no room to stamp in there. I stamp on my kitchen counter. I have to move stuff all the time, but I do leave what I'm working on out. My hubby and kids know not to touch "mom's pile". Sorry, I'm no help, but I feel your pain!

MY PINTEREST BOARDS MY BLOG MY WEBSITE
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-05-2008, 03:37 PM   #10  
Mad Swapper

I have a room...the spare bedroom too! It's 9x12 with a small closet. Before I kicked the spare bedroom out and the guests to the basement spare room....I would stamp in the kitchen at the table and the counter tops were full of pads, cutter and papers. I feel your pain.
I would keep all my stamps and stash in a filing cabinet...not the best place but the kids couldn't get the drawers open...I locked them.
LeAne SCS#2819 & Grandma to Lindsey!
[email protected]
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-05-2008, 04:18 PM   #11  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by jessiepepperView Post
The only thing I've been doing that make's a project easier(after getting everything together) is to keep the materials needed in one container, so when you have to clean up next time you can get started relatively quick. But it's still hard because you'll get a brain wave and then it'll take 15 minutes to find the stuff your looking for!
This is what I was going to suggest. I won't put my supplies in their place until I have finished the page or project. I keep everything together in a tote.

It's hard for me because all my supplies are in a closet and I work on the dining room table. Everytime I plan on working on something I have to take out all my supplies or at least most everything that I'm planning on using. Its a pain because I end up having to get up everytime I need to look for something to add to my project.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-05-2008, 04:25 PM   #12  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
VSN Coordinator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 171 Likes on 130 Posts

Oh yeah...........I stamp in the Living Room/Homeschool Area/Stamp Room!!! It's all one room!!! We're hoping to move this summer......just ***maybe*** I'll get my own room away from kids and pets?? But then..........we do enjoy family time and I have no guilt while I stamp!!! :lol:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-05-2008, 05:16 PM   #13  
Insane Embellisher

I have no stamping room and card making can take up to a week if I'm lucky. It's a mess and when my nephews and nieces come over I have to hide all my stuff. I just stamp images and enjoy coloring them. Takes me forever to make a card.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-05-2008, 05:30 PM   #14  
Rubber Obsessor

I have two small plastic drawer units in the one closet in our hallway ** we have two** and I tend to stamp/scrap at a local store, or occassionaly on the coffee table *very bad for my back*.
I have sesaons stamps in 'storage' sorted in the basement. Of course I am going to have to clean out the closet before Easter when my parents come to visit and whant to use it.
*sigh*
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-05-2008, 08:21 PM   #15  
Insane Embellisher

So after reading everyone's post's I was wondering what keep's you interested in this hobby?
I find lately I've been doing more reading about paper crafting then actual papercrafting!! It's easier to look at projects online and in magazines then it is to take 15 minutes getting set-up and then another 10 minutes to clean up and maybe an hour to craft if lucky!
So I guess I'm frustrated right now because I feel like a stamp collector rather than a papercrafter.

Thanks for listening and sharing your stories about your lack of stamping space!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-05-2008, 08:26 PM   #16  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by RiverIsisView Post
I know your pain too well - my stuff is in four drawers in my bedroom and my stamping space is basically my bedside table.

We started our International move 20 months ago now!!!! - I have stuff in storage containers in the corner of the bedroom - I will be so happy when this "phase" of our life is over.
20 months!! Oh my! My five months dosen't come close to that and I hopefully only have another three month's of this. I feel for you!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-05-2008, 08:29 PM   #17  
Pearl-ExPert

You don't want to know my problem, probably own more than HL, Michaels, and all stores combined, it's scattered in 3 rooms. disaster!!!
Need a room added on for just my stuff..Susie

My Blog: http://susiestampr.blogspot.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-05-2008, 08:44 PM   #18  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

So after reading everyone's post's I was wondering what keep's you interested in this hobby?
I find lately I've been doing more reading about paper crafting then actual papercrafting!! It's easier to look at projects online and in magazines then it is to take 15 minutes getting set-up and then another 10 minutes to clean up and maybe an hour to craft if lucky!
So I guess I'm frustrated right now because I feel like a stamp collector rather than a papercrafter.

Thanks for listening and sharing your stories about your lack of stamping space!
I don't have a stamping space, all my stuff is building up in my dining room. I also find it easier to look here on SCS than to take out my supplies and create. The one thing that makes it easier for me to stamp is to plan it out. I will invite my sister in law and friend over while the kids are in school. It doesn't seem to happen often enough, but for now it is the only time I really get any stamping done.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-05-2008, 09:12 PM   #19  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

I don't have a room either. :( Good luck with everything! I will be following this thread for tips.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-06-2008, 02:55 AM   #20  

I know exactly how you feel! I went from having my own big rambling victorian house where I had the entire DR to myself (we never used it anyway) to moving myself and my two kids to my DBF's tiny and I mean tiny! house. Now I have one corner of the DR table, a Lowe's utility shelf unit, a filing cabinet, and a plastic drawers on wheels thing. Everytime someone has to move through my space, something inadvertantly gets knocked over. Here's what I do....
Get yourself a box with a lid, big enough to fit 12 x 12 papers. When you have a moment of inspiration, dig through your stash and put the papers, stamps, inks, embellishments whatever you think you're going to use for the project in the box. If you get interrupted, close the box tightly so you can leave it out till you have another moment. When you finally get the time you can open your box, work on your project, and stash it securely and quickly until next time. I did this for a while and it worked pretty well. Then when you're done with your project, put everything away, and you can start again with a nice empty box. HTH!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-06-2008, 02:56 AM   #21  

I know exactly how you feel! I went from having my own big rambling victorian house where I had the entire DR to myself (we never used it anyway) to moving myself and my two kids to my DBF's tiny and I mean tiny! house. Now I have one corner of the DR table, a Lowe's utility shelf unit, a filing cabinet, and a plastic drawers on wheels thing. Everytime someone has to move through my space, something inadvertantly gets knocked over. Here's what I do....
Get yourself a box with a lid, big enough to fit 12 x 12 papers. When you have a moment of inspiration, dig through your stash and put the papers, stamps, inks, embellishments whatever you think you're going to use for the project in the box. If you get interrupted, close the box tightly so you can leave it out till you have another moment. When you finally get the time you can open your box, work on your project, and stash it securely and quickly until next time. I did this for a while and it worked pretty well. Then when you're done with your project, put everything away, and you can start again with a nice empty box. HTH!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-06-2008, 02:58 AM   #22  

Get yourself a box with a lid, big enough to fit 12 x 12 papers. When you have a moment of inspiration, dig through your stash and put the papers, stamps, inks, embellishments whatever you think you're going to use for the project in the box. If you get interrupted, close the box tightly so you can leave it out till you have another moment. When you finally get the time you can open your box, work on your project, yet stash it securely and quickly until next time. I did this for a while and it worked pretty well. Then when you're done with your project, put everything away, and you can start again with a nice empty box.
HTH!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-06-2008, 03:26 AM   #23  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

A girlfriend of mine who has 8 children from newborn to 14 uses her walk-in closet as her stamp area. She used the floor and a small flat piece of wood. She said it was very comfortable, but my back wouldn't take that. At least she could close the door and get some privacy and protect her work from busy little hands.

I took over the guest room so now guests sleep in eldest DS's bedroom. I LOVE my room and hope you can get back to having a room of your own again soon!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-06-2008, 04:49 AM   #24  
Pearl-ExPert

Most of my supplies are up on a shelf in our extra room. (no room to scrap in there though) I made my life easier by getting a small basket at HL that has all my everyday use tools goes in. So now when I get ready to start a project, I take out my paper box, pic my stamps out of my binder and grab the basket that has all my "normal use" tools. Then as I find I need a tool that's not in my basket I find it in my craft tub.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-06-2008, 07:38 AM   #25  
Kookie Creator

I don't have a room either...I have a wicker trunk I keep in my living room for projects I am currently working on. I take it out and either sit at my dining room table or use a snack tray in front of the tv. Then I just put everything into the basket...I can't stand coming in to a messy table...it is the first thing you see.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-06-2008, 07:40 AM   #26  
Kookie Creator

By the way the trunk is only for current projects...I store most of my stuff in my bedroom closet or in the closet that I got from walmart...the one you build yourself. That holds a ton of stuff.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-06-2008, 08:40 AM   #27  
Crimping Master

Default stamp space

I am lucky I finally have my own room, but for the past 6 years, I have moved 5 times and could never spread out. I used 2 rolling carts the ones that have the drawers, and rolled them out when I wanted to use it and rolled it back in my room when I was done. I used velcro wrapped on each side of the drawers to keep little hands out. I just made it clear to the kids that it is not theirs to touch, and they got it. After my son broke me "rule" one time the (1st and only) he got into my ink pads and ruined a few of the versa mark with colored ink, I explained that those were my "toys" that he ruined and that he would need to part with one of his to "replace" mine. He went in and got his favorite teddy. I kept it for about a week just to make my point, but it broke my heart so I gave it back, they have not touched my things since.
Good luck
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-06-2008, 08:49 AM   #28  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joan BView Post
Well, I have a room. A whole spare bedroom, with a walk in closet, but I still have no room to actually stamp. It is always such an incredible mess, that I have to stamp my images in another room.

I am bad...
This is me!!! I got off work early today and I'm sitting here staring at everything. I can't figure out where it all will go! The bad part about is that I have 4 tables and 4 iris carts for stuff and yet still NO WHERE to make anything. Lately I have been dragging things into the living room and making cards on the living room floor. So now my living room looks like my craft room exploded in there too.

Guess I should get off of here and try to make some sense of this stuff before my DH loses his mind over it all. UGH! AND I just got 4 more packages of stuff this week.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-06-2008, 09:44 AM   #29  
Inking Addict

Red face my kitchen!

i stamp in my kitchen! Thankfully, its big enough to put one of those folding buffet tables on. I have a plastic bin with my stamps underneath, and at the end of the table i have to put my baby's high chair! But on the plus side, if my stuff is out, then i'm more motivated to create! Oh yeah, my ink pads are next to my microwave, and my paper is inside a cabinet!

top that one!
hehe
~~Ellen

mom to two under 3 and stamper at night while waiting for DH to get home from work
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-06-2008, 10:28 AM   #30  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

20 months!! Oh my! My five months dosen't come close to that and I hopefully only have another three month's of this. I feel for you!
:lol: Yes - most of my "stuff" was in shipping containers (for 15 months during the move - we have moved to temporary at the moment whilst jobs and schools are settling down then we will sort out permanent housing. Life IS FUN! I have to say it definitely gives you a perspective on what you "need"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-06-2008, 10:43 AM   #31  
Pearl-ExPert

<--- doesn't have a room either.
I stamp on our bed usually. I have a desk in our bedroom but it is usually clutttered so...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-06-2008, 10:46 AM   #32  
Cardstock Collector

Depending on when your new house is going to be done, you could consider re-organizing your stamping stuff. Maybe getting it organized now will help you move in to your new stamping room sooner once you've moved in, and then you can start stamping again. I don't have my own stamping space either, so I understand your pain!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-06-2008, 11:47 AM   #33  
Die Cut Diva

Jessiepepper,

I am going to be like you soon. We are putting our house on the market and I have to pack up all my crafting stuff. I am so afraid to put it in boxes because I want to be able to find it and use it. We will be renting once we sale our house until our next one gets done.

It is frustrating but will be well worth it once I have my own room to get as messy as I want!!!

Reply With Quote Likes