Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 05-16-2005, 05:29 PM   #1  
Mad Swapper

Received 142 Likes on 66 Posts
Default Non demo stampers- Are you amazed at how

much you've got in terms of stamping stuff without being a demo? I just added up all my order forms since I started this hobby and was floored to find out how much I've spent. Yikes!

I feel like I need to do something else besides making cards for special occasions or a gift set here and there (I did make my Christmas cards this past year tho!!) to compensate for how much I've spent on sets and supplies. I mean, I've spent ALOT. I've got all the 48 colors in classic pads, markers, & pastels. Tons of paper, some embellishments, ribbons, punches, EP, and about 20 sets of stamps. Quite a few that haven't even been mounted yet! Although many I did receive as hostess sets, free merchandise and free drawings at camps but still. I've got way more than I actually use.

Finding this website has inspired me to do more, maybe even demo (I've definitely got the supplies!). But of course, I've found that I need more stamps to make all the pretty cards I see here!

Maybe I need to find craft shows and start making cards to sell? How about you all? Do you find yourself in the same situation? What do you all do with your wonderful creations?

Also, I find myself not having as much time to spend on this new hobby than I'd like. Probably if I didn't spend a lot of my free time on this website drooling and dreaming of the possiblities, I might have a bit more! :p
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-16-2005, 05:38 PM   #2  
Gallery Gazer

Location: The weeds are popping up, and I'm having asthma issues
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We sounds alot alike.

I have started making cards for swaps and for gifts (hostess, wedding, thank you). I really get some decent use out of one set at a time when I get on a roll making a set of cards as a gift. I only get to work on my stamping stuff about 2-3 hours per week.

Enjoy what you've got before you invest in much more. ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-16-2005, 05:39 PM   #3  
Die Cut Diva

I'm glad you here you are so enthusiastic about your stuff. I love my stuff. My dh always makes comments on the amount of stuff I have but I just tell him that at least I use it. If you are thinking of some way to justify all your supplies think of it this way. How much is therapy?

SAHM to Dominik 1/1/00 & Alyssa 3/8/01
www.splitcoaststampers.com/go/smartinez182

Go Beavers!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-16-2005, 05:55 PM   #4  
Crimping Master

I'd never be brave enough to add it up!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-16-2005, 06:40 PM   #5  
Kookie Creator

I'm the same way. I decided to not buy anything just because I can make a nice card with it. I can do that with any of my stamps. I only buy what "I cant live without". And, I wont buy anything new unless I have used everything I own. I dont want to be a collector. I have even started inviting friends and family over to just hang out and use my stuff. I went as far as to take my things to work with me today. We had a quick stamp fest over lunch. I have taken some of the ideas from SCS and other crafting sites to make items for a school boutique. We make over $200 last year. (after the cost of supplies) I finally decided I would sign up to be a demo in July. That way I can also save a bit on the "must haves".
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-16-2005, 06:42 PM   #6  
The Digi-Freak

LOL, yep, how much is therapy, cause I guarantee you me, I'd need therapy w/o my stamping ;)

I'm certainly a happier woman and a nicer wife with it!! LOL

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-16-2005, 07:26 PM   #7  
Stazon Splitcoast

Before I started stamping, I hated having to deal with buying and giving cards... especially a last minute one when I needed to go back out after a long day at work just to stand in the card section for a half an hour and not be happy with the one I picked. Now, I can go whip up a card whenever I need it without ever leaving home. And I give a lot more cards for things I would have never considered before. We had a ton of teachers on the lay-off list this year. I gave a couple of cards to "hang in there". One colleague almost cried she was so relieved to feel wanted. And the 20-something guy loved it (I was shocked). It was such a boost to make someone's day.

Stess reliever/therapy... you bet. Doing something you enjoy is good, but when you're also doing something for someone else.. that's therapy.

I don't dare add up what I spent in money. It's all been worth it to me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-16-2005, 07:48 PM   #8  
Matboard Maniac

I would never want to add up what I've spent on supplies. First thing I do when I make purchases is throw the receipt away!!! It's not about economy. Any craft or hobby you get involved in is going to cost you money. With stampin, you get the personal satisfaction of creativity and there's no end to what you can learn. You're limited only by your imagination. Another benefit is the cool friends you meet who are stampers too. If you're a person who craves creativity, you must stamp! I work in an office during the day and sometimes it's not very creative there. So it is very much like therapy to come home and find time to do some stampin. I've had several different hobbies over the last 30 years, and it looks like this is the one I've stayed with the longest. Seems like there's always a new technique to try or new colors, stamps, catalogs, etc. Never gets boring ;-)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-16-2005, 07:49 PM   #9  
Polyshrink Goddess

I tell my DH that "my junk is stuff and your stuff is junk". I love my stuff! I take great pleasure in knowing that whatever I want to make, I have something to do it with. I make cards up the yingyang, plus the ones I do at clubs and classes. I take classes at my demo friends house just to socialize, not because I need to know anything new. I have so many cards that I am going to donate some to some charities so I can make some room. My newest endeavor is Artist Trading Cards (atc's). I have been at this for 8 years, just watch to see your collection (selections) grow!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-16-2005, 08:17 PM   #10  
Mad Swapper

Yep, yep, yep except I've made it a rule never to add up just how much I'm spending (Or not spending) on stamps and stuff. It would either annoy me knowing how much I've already spent or still want to spend before I get the feeling of having a well rounded supply.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-16-2005, 08:17 PM   #11  
Die Cut Diva

I always tell people this is my stress reliever. After being around little kids all day and dealing with whatever else I always know I can go downstairs and do some stampin. That is why I think of it as therepy. It takes my mind off of whatever and I can just loose myself in "my stuff".

Go Beavers!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-16-2005, 08:32 PM   #12  
Quacker Stamper

Received 1,087 Likes on 866 Posts
Wink

Even though I don't have to justify what I spend on stamping/scrapping supplies, I still would never add it up. I figure I could put a grandchild through college. ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-16-2005, 08:47 PM   #13  
Rubber Obsessor

Wink

I know what you mean. But I love doing it. It's a blast, and puts a smile on the persons face that you give the card/etc. to. Over and above it being "therapy", I have another out in spending the money. My BF and I have been together for over 4 years now, and he does SO many hobbies, from reading every fourwheeler/dirt bike/off road magazine there is, to riding them, to remote control planes/trucks, and the list goes on. I said if he EVER wants to complain about how much I may or may not spend, he just has no grounds after the the tens of thousands he's spent.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-16-2005, 11:37 PM   #14  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I do keep track of how much I spend on crafts and it is too much! This year so far it has been about $600 and there is no way to justify my spending this much (hey, I'm in therapy too!). My husband is patient about it but I am seriously trying to cut down on how much I spend. I've given up trying to become a SU hobby demo because I know that I would spend even more. I think there are a lot of us who get as much pleasure out of buying the stuff as we do in using it. That's what worries me!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-17-2005, 03:38 AM   #15  
Glitter Guru

I feel all your pain!! LOL I have thousands invested in my Stampin Up collection. I have every receipt since I started back in 2000 and last year I was bored one day, I added them up! At that time it was over 4 grand. I have over 100+ sets and tons of embellishments and so on....I am a SAHM of an 11 yr old daughter and my 18 yr old son who was born with cerebral palsy and this is my source of therapy. I try to stamp everyday. I make and sell my cards to some regular customers. My DH is very very supportive of my spending and stamping habit. Always encouraging me to make more cards! Saturday nite while doing the VSN, he kept coming over to my stamp room and checking in to see what the next card challenge was!! It was funny! One of these days I will have him sitting here stamping with me! I'm definetly blessed with a great husband who enjoys my stamping as much as I do and NEVER complains on the money I spend. He knows what I have.. I do use and I think that makes a difference...

My blog:
http://weebeestampin4fun.blogspot.com/

Featured Stamper #153 on SCS-January 10, 2010
Merry Maker for the Merry Monday Challenges-April 2012-April 2016
Guest Designer for the SCS Color Challenges-May 2013
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-17-2005, 04:01 AM   #16  
Crimping Master

I consider stamping my escape and therapy! I got into it in 1999 then slacked off when I had my baby in 2003 and now got back into it 'heavily' this year. I think the stamping bug has hit me more than ever before. My family and close friends all live out of state, so I get lonely quite a bit. I'm a SAHM without much local support. Stamping is a true blessing for me but not for my wallet, yikes!!! Guess many of us can relate.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-17-2005, 04:08 AM   #17  
Polyshrink Goddess

Talking

I shudder to think of the actual dollars spent cuz not only do I spend alot on SU, I buy TONS of scrapbooking stuff. We recently built a poolhouse and I now have a huge room to keep all my loot in. It's not only great therapy, it's a terrific "girl thing" and I absolutely love having friends over and stamping up a storm! Can you say "Get your fingers inky"?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-17-2005, 04:25 AM   #18  
Polyshrink Goddess

I do think I spent too much on all this craft stuff - I could have bought the Hallmark store by now - but then hey I think of it as a cheap hobby - I don't smoke, rarely drink anything that is not milk or water and if you saw my closet you would know that I have a 7 year old and 3 year old that don't like to go into womens clothing stores!!! But they do love the craft stores and the only time I seem to sneak out of the house is for a stamping night. So I think of it as my girls night out!!
I just need to get those BBHUY (bought but have'nt used yet) piles off my table!!!

The lesson from Charlie Brown: The people who make a difference in your life are not the ones with the most credentials, the most money, or the most awards. They are the ones that care.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-17-2005, 04:40 AM   #19  
Kookie Creator

I've only been into stamping since Feb, and I don't want to add it up.
I have a Zyron 500, eyelet setter set, I love brads, not so great at using ribbon, trying Vellum later today.
I also thought about how much I've spent and how often I stamp. I kind of feel like I need to stamp once a week to make it worth it - kind of hard to do with 4 kids ages 6 and under though. I've learned how to do it with the kids around.
Honestly I've found myself making cards for any and every reason, even for people I never would have *bought* a card for - lol.
My husband has 2 hobbies, one is kind of expensive. Neither one of us says anything to the other about what we spend ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-17-2005, 05:10 AM   #20  
Hardware Hotshot

This is why I became a demo! I love the discount, the free sets, and the opportunity to earn a bit to offset some of my expenditures. SU makes it very easy to become a demo and to maintain it--anyone with a few stampin' friends can meet the minimums!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-17-2005, 05:24 AM   #21  
Mad Swapper

Received 142 Likes on 66 Posts

Glad to see that I'm not alone!!

I really didn't think about it being theraputic but I guess it is in a way by the I feel after finishing a card and sharing it with others. It's just a really fun and creative hobby that I can partner in with my scrapbooking. It is tho, my most expensive hobby yet and I don't see it ending in the near future! I just wish I knew more people to give my creations to. It's just fun to share this with others!

I'm glad my dh is very understanding of my new hobby. Never asks how much I spend just enjoys what I make and always keeps the children so that I can go off to stamp camp or my stamp club. He even thinks it's neat that I can upload pics of what I make and share it hear.

Thanks for all the great replies and those wonderful cards you all make and share here!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-17-2005, 07:51 AM   #22  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by sweetpeas
I just wish I knew more people to give my creations to. It's just fun to share this with others!
Have you joined the RAK group? Then you will have a ton of people who would be delighted to recieve one of your cards.

Go Beavers!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-17-2005, 08:11 AM   #23  
Quacker Stamper

Received 1,087 Likes on 866 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by smartinez182
Have you joined the RAK group? Then you will have a ton of people who would be delighted to recieve one of your cards.
I applied to join a week ago, but haven't heard anything. Just pm'd the coordinator.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-17-2005, 08:20 AM   #24  
Glitter Guru

I am a demo but..... I only sell to myself so I am in the same boat. What makes it worse as I see the Preorders - Which of course majority of the time I just have to have. I have one friend that buys from me occassionally other than that its just me LOL.... I had a little corner in our old dining room which i had started out with one rubbermade container the kind that are drawers. I now have a whole room in our new house which is about 10 x 10 and its completely full. I am now double layering rows with all the stuff I have and I still want more. My husband doesn't ask how much I spend. I use to smoke since I was about 13 which I an now 38 and I quit 2 years ago in February. I do not spend as much on Stamping or supplies as I did smoking. 2 packs a day for 25 years adds up. So this is why I don't feel as guilty as i guess I should maybe? I don't drink or do anything else so Stampin is my only form of entertainment. My husband always says don't feel guilty for doing something you take enjoyment in.... hehe if he only knew.. LOL

Forgot to add I join swaps that they have on this website so i have stuff to make and take pride in stuff i do for it. I love swaps hehe try joining some of those they are great with tons of great ideas....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-17-2005, 08:24 AM   #25  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by mschoener
I applied to join a week ago, but haven't heard anything. Just pm'd the coordinator.
The RAK list has been having some problems lately. As soon as they get everything figured out she will emailing you.

Go Beavers!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-17-2005, 12:16 PM   #26  
Embossing Fanatic

I'd be afraid to add up the amount of $$$$$ that are in my scrapbook nook. I know that I have several thousands of dollars in there. I spent around $5,000 last year alone!

But I make all of the cards we send, PLUS I make cards for our squadron spouses group and I make cards for others (in exchange for their money ) I make scrapbooks and have clients that I make scrapboooks for...again I make them stuff they give me money.
http://myscrapbooknook.blogspot.com/
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-17-2005, 02:52 PM   #27  
Gabfest Goddess

OK, I can't even bring myself to think about adding it up. I don't have to justify it to my hubby, but when he brings it up, I do beer math.....add up what he spends on beer in a month and compare it. I guarantee I don't spend NEARLY as much as he does.....I could do a Level I order EVERY MONTH if I did!

So....he has his "vices" and I have mine.

Oh.....and to the demo who only sells to herself.....LOL!!! I hear ya! I do have a stampers 6 club but I'm one of the six.......and I preorder almost everything, every time..ROFL!!

I am for sure my own best customer. Hmm, I should order my best customer a thank you gift! ;)

Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending. ~Author Unknown
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-17-2005, 04:39 PM   #28  
Mad Swapper

My husband didn't realize how much I spent on stamps until he secretly ordered something for me from my demo! He mentally began calculating the things in my "craft area" and was totally floored! He's totally supportive, however, especially since I don't say a word about his golfing addiction, PS2, and poker night! ;)

I often say, I've got enough "such and such" type of stamp . . . but leave it to SU! They always manage to create a set that I HAVE to have! You gotta love 'em! Now that I log on to SCS, there are stamps I want that weren't even on my wishlist. This website is definitely not good for my pocketbook!

My Little Blog . . .
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-17-2005, 05:40 PM   #29  
Crimping Master

I know just what you mean about things adding up. I have been doing this for 1 1/2 years now. I have tons of punches, paper, all the ink pad, markers and pastels. Then you add in all the powders and tools, and the more than 150 stamp sets that I have. It can get to be a little overwhelming. I am just lucky that my DH supports me in my hobby!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-17-2005, 06:04 PM   #30  
Pearl-ExPert

Gaillyn- It is so good to know someone else thinks like me - through away the receipt - the evidence is gone!!!! LOL I believe that I fit right into this group. I have been re-organizing and it is amazing what I have accumulated. I stamped more before I discovered this wonderful site! It is really hard to pull myself away!!!! Such good forums and wonderful galleries! However, when stamp class comes around I manage to get away and spend some more!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-17-2005, 06:35 PM   #31  
Cardstock Collector

I would be afraid to add up the $$$ I have in this investment. I have been doing this for the last 15 yrs. and have a full 12' wall full of just stamps. My hubby never complains about it, in fact he built me a special room just for my hobby. The only good thing is I have 2 daughters that will fight over it when I'm gone and use it until then. I make alot of things for family members since I have 6 brothers and 3 sisters. They are always calling me to make things for weddings, showers, birthdays and etc. It keeps me going and I enjoy coming up with new ideas. I also use my things for scrapbooking. I love Stampin up and don't ever want to stop buying their products.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-17-2005, 06:48 PM   #32  
Mad Swapper

I am never going to feel one bit guilty about my hobby. For years I spent on everyone else and not myself and now I do this for me. I make cards for every cause that comes up. I have never sold a card but may some day a lot of people have asked me to do it. My husbands hobby is a lot more costly than mine but he wouldn't say anything anyway he loves the cards and uses them too.

Reply With Quote Likes