Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 09-14-2007, 11:07 AM   #1  
Insane Embellisher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool not a clue!

Thought I'd feel better if I shared this with people who would understand! I've been fighting a losing battle with tendonitis and have reached the point where I'm in a wrist splint and elbow brace. When expressing concern that I won't be able to keep up with my card orders, I've had 3 (not 1 but 3!) different people in my family ask me why I can't get my CHILDREN to color the images and cut out whatever needs to be cut! Granted, these people don't live in my house and have never seen what goes into making a card-but sheesh! Do they think this is just color in the lines like in kindergarten! So far I just smile and reply "because it would look like my children colored it in". Makes me realize how much they value what I do! I'm not angry-just thought sharing would help me feel less exasperated.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-14-2007, 11:09 AM   #2  
Crimping Master

Oh my goodness! Yes, that sounds so frustrating!! Love your answer though! Sorry to hear about the tendonitis - hope you are on the mend.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-14-2007, 11:12 AM   #3  
Knit, Purl, Stamp

Do they think this is some sort of school "project" you are working on? Cards are works of art and some people just don't "get it". Feel free to vent away......we all feel your pain.

Hope the splints give you some relief and you can do some stamping/coloring/cutting soon.

My Gallery
My Blog - My adventures in knitting
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-14-2007, 11:50 AM   #4  
Inking Addict

Quote:

Originally Posted by Susan_TView Post
Thought I'd feel better if I shared this with people who would understand! I've been fighting a losing battle with tendonitis and have reached the point where I'm in a wrist splint and elbow brace. When expressing concern that I won't be able to keep up with my card orders, I've had 3 (not 1 but 3!) different people in my family ask me why I can't get my CHILDREN to color the images and cut out whatever needs to be cut! Granted, these people don't live in my house and have never seen what goes into making a card-but sheesh! Do they think this is just color in the lines like in kindergarten! So far I just smile and reply "because it would look like my children colored it in". Makes me realize how much they value what I do! I'm not angry-just thought sharing would help me feel less exasperated.
I TOTALLY understand where you are coming from. I do special orders for albums, journals, etc. and I hear "why don't your children help you" all the time! AGH!!

I'm assuming you have gone to a doctor? Have they spoken about any type of surgery? I know someone who had surgery on both her hands because of tendonitis (and carpal tunnel..but that was a different incision in the wrist). Anyway, she was at a point where she couldnt' even grasp a jar to open the lid. She now has perfect hands. It was easy surgery and less than a week and she was pretty much back to normal.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-14-2007, 12:36 PM   #5  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by Susan_TView Post
Sounds like the mentality of my in-laws!!! I don't even send them cards anymore...the last one I didn't even get a thank you! From now on..its an American greetings for .99!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-14-2007, 12:42 PM   #6  
Kookie Creator

so for the next card you need to give these people for christmas or birthday whatever, give them cards your kids do colour in. maybe then they will see the difference.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-14-2007, 12:43 PM   #7  
Watercolor Wizard

Parrothead - if you have a paper products store...what is their name...like Party Fun Store or something - (someone help me there)...Paper Card Factory??? I don't know - but they have cards 5/$1. (Real cards, but not Hallmark)

I know that there are people who do not love their fellow man, and I hate people like that.
~Tom Lehrer

If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-14-2007, 12:43 PM   #8  
Watercolor Wizard

I'm sorry Susan, that would hurt my feelings too.

I know that there are people who do not love their fellow man, and I hate people like that.
~Tom Lehrer

If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-14-2007, 01:18 PM   #9  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by katrs5View Post
Parrothead - if you have a paper products store...what is their name...like Party Fun Store or something - (someone help me there)...Paper Card Factory??? I don't know - but they have cards 5/$1. (Real cards, but not Hallmark)
Thats the kind of card my MIL sends!! LOL!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-14-2007, 01:52 PM   #10  
Matboard Maniac

Hopefully you've tried the doctor route, but have you tried seeing an Occupational Therapist? They can usually give you some good ideas for pain relief (using both heat and cold), the splinting schedule, and some exercises to do that may help relieve some of the pain. They are also good at helping adapt activities. (Can you tell I'm a therapist?) Anyway one of my clinicals during school was in a hand clinic and they're usually the best with coming up with some strategies.

Good luck.
Toni
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-14-2007, 02:07 PM   #11  
Insane Embellisher

Thanks for the encouraging words and medical help. I went to an orthopedic doctor last week and have been going to the physical therapist 3 times a week. We're hoping the splints, therapy and NSAIDS will help get the inflammation down so I can begin strengthening exercises. Right now they would do more harm than good. She (the PT) isn't too encouraged by my amount of improvement but it's only been one week. I'm hoping I don't have surgery in my future because then I won't be making cards for a long time. Oh, and I forgot to say-it isn't my hand. It's a bad case of tennis elbow which means any time you move your wrist you pull on the damaged tendon.
I wasn't going to go into such detail about me, but thought I'd clear up any confusion. Thanks for all your comments.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-14-2007, 02:42 PM   #12  
Dirty Dozen Alumni
SU Creative Crew Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

You might also want to see a chiropractor.

I got tendonitis from a poor computer workstation when I was a programmer a number of years ago. The splits and the OT did not help much, nothing did until I stopped working.

But then, whenever I'd knit a lot, it would flare up. I was at the chiropractor one day having my neck worked on (from the same computer set up!) and mentioned my wrist and hand pain and tingling...he said, "Ah, I can fix that! I used to do my grandma's wrists for her whenever she knitted too much." He pinched a spot on my hand between my thumb and forefinger, then he rotated my hand around on my wrist a bit. My hands tingled like mad for a little while and then they were fine, without any pain at all. He treated it off and on for a few months and after that, it hasn't bothered me since.

My website/blog - JanTink.com
Facebook | JanTink
Etsy Store - JanTink

Reply With Quote Likes