Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 02-26-2016, 10:57 AM   #1  
Insane Embellisher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Old "Magnetic" Albums

Somewhere on here, a long time ago, I read where someone was storing their unmounted stamps on these pages.
Is anyone doing this? I am considering it. They can be cut down to any size, and are a lot less expensive than buying any of the other types of storage panels.
Instead of using unikeeper-type storage boxes, I use Whitman Sampler tins. These too are a lot less expensive (think thrift stores) and can be stacked or stand on a shelf. Or they fit perfect in letter/paper holders.
Thinking about using pages from those old albums in them now. since I have unmounted most of my stamps.
Thanks.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-26-2016, 01:28 PM   #2  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 737 Likes on 358 Posts

This is creative!

The concern I have with it is that not only do they discolor (yellow) badly over time, but they can lose their stickiness. Which led to me to move my family pics to traditional albums with sticky squares. (not perfect either. you'd have to cut them out now b/c the squares would ruin a picture if you tried to peel it)

A technical point-as I understand it...you have to put some kind of tacky on the rubber for them to stick to blocks...would the sticky on the album pages interfere with that? As in take it off? Maybe Sue (gregzgurl) can answer it since she does a lot of that kind of mount.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-26-2016, 02:22 PM   #3  
Die Cut Diva

Location: Where the trees sway gently and birds sing softly in Sunny SoCal.
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Are you talking the albums with the sticky lines across the page to hold the photos between the page and plastic covering? I didn't think they made those anymore.

Personally, I would not use them, but my bias comes from my experience with a lifetime of photographs in those albums. I damaged a few pictures trying to remove them from the albums. They were stuck so firmly that the paper backing ripped when I pulled them up. I gave up on the removal and scanned the pictures one page at a time in a desperate effort to preserve the images as best as I was able.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-27-2016, 06:49 AM   #4  
Insane Embellisher

I am not thinking of putting the stamps on the sticky part. I am thinking of putting the stamps on the top of the page. Does that make sense? A lot of people laminate sheets of paper/cs to put their stamps on. These pages would give the support and not require lamination. And albums can be found at thrift stores - cheap! I have picked a few up for a dollar or two. And they have lots of pages in them. Cut them in half and they fit in 5.5 x 8.5 page protector sleeves.
Think I'm going to go with it and see what happens.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-27-2016, 11:49 AM   #5  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 737 Likes on 358 Posts

Oh! I get it now. You want to put the stamps on top of the plastic oversheet! Hmm. That's interesting!

I'll be interested to hear how it turns out!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-27-2016, 12:24 PM   #6  
Die Cut Diva

Location: Where the trees sway gently and birds sing softly in Sunny SoCal.
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Ahh, I see. What you are planning is not what I originally thought.

Do you know what the plastic sheets are made from? Is it acetate?

I have read many times on SCS that you should NEVER use acetate or film transparency to store stamps. Here is a link: Can I use any type of acetate to store clings? by Rachelrose at Splitcoaststampers

And last year there was this contradicting article that says, "To keep your clear stamps in the best condition over a long period of time, it is recommended you ALWAYS store your clear stamps on acetate." Stamping Basics: Introduction to Clear Stamps ? Label Me Merrit

NEVER . . . ALWAYS
These are some contradicting and confusing statements. Perhaps you never store rubber stamps on acetate but you always store polymer on acetate? Or maybe both camps are taking the whole acetate thing too far? (shrug)

I do think it would be best to do some sort of research and/or test before moving your entire collection to the albums.

FYI, For several years I stored my cling stamps in CD cases. For most of my stamps this was no problem. But there were a couple stamps that practically welded themselves to the plastic case. It was almost as if they'd melted. Unfortunately, I don't recall if they were clear (polymer or acrylic) or if they were rubber with the cling backing.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-27-2016, 10:08 PM   #7  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 296 Likes on 115 Posts

I'm not sure that I have definitive answers, but I'll try to help. Unless you can be sure that the film covering the page is polyester, I'd be reluctant to risk any type of stamp on them. I did give a few pages a test run back before the whole acetate/polyester debate started, and found that - over time - the weight of the stamps pulled the film away from the page and they sagged badly. While it's a relatively economical solution, I'm not sure I'd go to all the trouble and have it be wasted.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-28-2016, 04:30 AM   #8  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by gregzgurlView Post
...I did give a few pages a test run back before the whole acetate/polyester debate started, and found that - over time - the weight of the stamps pulled the film away from the page and they sagged badly...
I could always glue the film to the page if this happens.

And right now I'm only using it for rubber stamps.

I too had stamps that seemed to adhere to cd cases. These pages could also be cut down to that size.

I'll keep you all posted if I have any problems. Pics to come later.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-28-2016, 07:38 AM   #9  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni
Demo Challenge Leader
Splitcoast Challenge Host

Location: South of Oklahoma, North of DFW Airport = North Texas!
Received 248 Likes on 132 Posts

After having beloved photos be basically destroyed by those old photo albums, I consider them to be unworthy of reuse in any manner. I'm not normally an acid-free expert at all, as I do not scrapbook. But this particular item-of-old is like a crafter's poison in my eyes.
Reply With Quote Likes