Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 01-13-2005, 01:05 PM   #1  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default old photo ideas needed....

My grandmother just sent me a pile of old photos some dated from the 20s and earlier. I would like to scrap these they best way i can, and was looking for your input on products, ideas, & anything else you may have, so that before i jump into this very precious project, I am certain of what i want to do. Thanks so much for helping me with this!!!!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-13-2005, 01:31 PM   #2  
Pearl-ExPert

Wow! What a great find! The first thing that I would do is to sit down with your Grandmother and see if she can tell you who is in the photos and other pertinent information about them. I would write the information on a sticky note if you plan to do something with the photos quickly, otherwise, the adhesive might mess up the photos. I'm beginning a scrapbook of my husband's growing up years so my photos only go back to the 1960's. What I'm doing is sorting now (through the magnetic paged albums! and slides). I'm going to take them to Ritz Camera's Wolf Photo and scan them. They will use their very expensive equipment to color balance (remember the 1970's with all those greens and oranges?) and print out new photos for me. I was concerned about using the originals since they have been in magnetic pages and since the photo quality 40 years ago is not as good as it is today. I'm not sure what the cost will be but you may want to investigate similar options. (Also, I had thought that I would just scan them at home but they said they could color correct those because of how the file would be saved... and that their scanner-printer is much hight quality than what I have at home.)

Another really neat technique that I read about in Simple Scrapbooks Nov/Dec 2002 magazine (new find to me) is how to use text blocks in your word processing program on your home computer to sketch out your photos, journaling and titling. I'm using that technique for a class that I'm teaching on scrapbooking on Friday night. It allowed me to see exactly what size photo (and how many) I needed for the page before I had the images printed. (I have a digital camera.)

There are several great books out on scrapbooking. You may want to check your local library (or let them get some for you through interlibrary loan) on scrapbooking heritage albums. They've got great ideas about colors, etc.

Just a couple of thoughts. Best wishes to you!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-13-2005, 01:57 PM   #3  
Dirty Dozen Alumni
SU Creative Crew Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

What I did when I scrapped photographs for my in-laws 50th wedding anniversary was to take the photos to Kinko's and copy them on the color copier, even the black and white ones. Then I scrapped the photocopies. Color copies are archival and with a good machine you will get very good reproduction. It's better to photocopy black and white photos on a color copier, because you will get better results. Since you can put several on a single sheet, it is fairly economical too if you have lots of photos. THen you can store your photos in a safe place.

And here I thought you wanted advice about what to do with photos of your husband's ex-girlfriends! Got a dart board handy? :lol:

My website/blog - JanTink.com
Facebook | JanTink
Etsy Store - JanTink

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-13-2005, 02:04 PM   #4  
Crimping Master

First of all, I'd say SCAN or take to a store to get them all copied before putting them in the books.

Browse the scrapbook mags' websites. Look in bookstore for books on scrapbooking. Some of my favorite artists are Ali Edwards, Becky Higgins, Heidi Swapp, and Faye Morrow. The are all contributors to CK. I beleive they all have books out there.

My favorite products, other than SU! of course, is K&Co. Most of their embellishments/paper coordinate with SU!'s products.

Some techniques I'd use is paper aging, tearing embossing(dry and powder). I forgot the name of the tech., but lay a doily(sp?) down on cardstock, then ink up brayer, roll brayer over doily. You will be left with the shape/design of the cutout portion of it.

HTH,
Mary
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-13-2005, 02:12 PM   #5  
Matboard Maniac

I did my MIL's 50 year book this year. I scanned all my own photos for two reasons - 1. I could then retouch the colors as necessary and also remove flaws from some of the most worn pictures (like a picture of her mother as a baby that was torn in two) and 2. All the family can have a cd copy so that we can all share the wealth!

One thing to know, if you have Olan Mills photos, you can call their 800 number and for $15 (might be $10) you can get written permission to duplicate any photo from them that is over 2 years old. A lot of the 1960/70s photos were only copies and that made it legit for me to scan them to take to the printers.

I did most of my printing at Walgreens b/c they often have a 50 photos 21 or 19 cents sale which helped the costs for me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-13-2005, 09:44 PM   #6  
Crimping Master

LisaS25,
Thanks for the info about Olan Mills. I had no idea.
mary h.
Reply With Quote Likes