Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 09-15-2020, 03:10 PM   #1  
Glitter Guru

Received 870 Likes on 518 Posts
Default Oldies but Goodies..

I don't know if I am in the minority or not, but I have been more interested in stuff I have had in the past then most of the newer trends. I see a few new things I like, but I never got the chance to use a lot of the stuff I've had for years. In fact, I've been flipping through my cricut books looking at things I can use with my Expression. I am one of the "Old School" chicks that refuses to buy anymore electronic die cutting machines, and I dont' want to have to hook it up with a computer.I don't really get into trends, and I just like what I like. If I happen to get something newer, it is because I like it, and not because it's the newest style. I need to focus on using what I have and being more frugal. I figure, who knows what the future is going to hold, so I need to be more careful with money. I fell off the wagon yesterday, but we won't go there! When I see something I like, I am trying to ask myself if I have something similar that would do about the same thing, and many times, I can say yes. That's not to say I don't want an occasional treat, but I need to be more selective and minimal.
I wondered if I stopped subscribing to company blogs and certain sites if that would help me have better control with the "I want It" Monster!
What is your focus and what do you like?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-15-2020, 03:36 PM   #2  
Embossing Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I too like all of my old stamps that I've had for years.  The newer ones generally don't appeal to me.  I try to use up the supplies I have which could supply me for many months.  I send out a lot of cards and those people don't know or care if the stamps are the newest ones or not.

Once in a while I "fall off the wagon" too but try not to do it very often.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-15-2020, 03:39 PM   #3  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hoptownracer1, that’s what I’ve been doing. I’ve stayed away from subscribing to stamp companies but I imagine unsubscribing would be helpful.
To help keep me from buying new stamps I’ve started a self challenge to use all my stamps, from A-Z. We loved them when we bought them, right?
I’ve never been one to be on trend so like you, that’s not an issue. I’ll treat myself with new cs and revisit some old techniques to stay fresh. I’m still in the “a’s” with just two more sets to go before I get into the “b’s”. Feel free to come join me!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-16-2020, 04:33 AM   #4  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 600 Likes on 244 Posts

This is the time of year I use all my oldies but goodies.  I use fall, Thanksgiving and Christmas stamps and dies that I have had for years.   I try to use new layouts and colors and embellishments so the cards don't look like last year's but themes like snow, holly, leaves and Nativity scenes are classics.  It doesn't make sense to buy a new set with a style or theme I already have just because it's new.  
Mary Beth
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-16-2020, 10:37 AM   #5  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Honestly I've been mainly uninspired by new products. It's funny but there are a ton of older stamps I'd like to get but not so much any new stuff. Maybe because I've been at this hobby for over 15 years, thing are being repetitive and then I often prefer the original versions more. My opinion is a beautiful stamp or classic die never really goes out of style.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-16-2020, 11:42 AM   #6  
Glitter Guru

Thank you all for your input!  It really helps!  I think it is best if I just do my own thing and not worry about trends.  I did break down and buy a roll of foil that was marked way down at Hobby Lobby and one of those foil pens to try it out.  The price on the foil was good, so I wondered if I should buy more than one, but I thought I had better just get one, as I need to try it first and not go hog wild.  Well, I am so happy I just bought one.  The foil is not my thing!  It gives me something to piddle with, but I don't think I will be buying any more.  I like the foil card stock/paper, but not the foil for foiling.  And I am not buying all those gadgets and stuff to use with it.  I am really happy for those that do and have fun with it, but I just don't think it's my thing.  I feel that way about quite a few things actually.   But I think I can get a similar look; not exact, with embossing powders.  
I can relate to what you are saying about being in it for so long, that we've seen a lot of similar stuff.  I like the classic stuff also; although, I will occasionally like something that is a new style.  

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-16-2020, 01:06 PM   #7  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 737 Likes on 358 Posts

Well for starters, a lot of the "new gadgets" are really just new, easier ways to do stuff we already were. Like the stamp platforms vs the Thing-a-ma-jig. Electronic die machines vs hand crank. Kind of like going to automatic in a car when you used to drive stick. (yes I know, some people prefer stick...and some people prefer to craft old school) 

I expect this is a natural evolution. At first when everything is new to you, you are running all around wanting to see and touch and play...over time....how many flowers can you own? 

Having said that...I am drawn to new things to me like glow in the dark EP. Unusual stamp images. It isn't that the new things are not cute-but I have a lot of cute. 

I was thinking how odd it is I am not attracted to anything so far from Stamptember. First time. Though I am to some other items at the mfgs. so I know I know my "shopping gene" isn't broken LOL I did get some hybrid inks at MFTs big sale today in neutral colors. I dawdled so long about it the CS I was thinking about sold out. I have a wishlist. Some stuff is years old. I will go after that often before new. 

I think it sounds like a PERFECT idea to shop your own stash. My thing now is to try to use every stamp to make at least 4-5 cards so I feel like I broke even (had I gone out and bought them). There are a bazillion techniques. I lean towards guilt so this eliminates that. 

Good on you to resist getting more than one foil till you decided if you even liked it! There will be good deals again...but now you know you don't care!  
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-16-2020, 05:01 PM   #8  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 40 Likes on 18 Posts

I'm finding that a lot of the new stamps are not my thing - too simple compared to all the old stamps I have - some 20+ years old and very complex compared to a lot of today's stamps, especially the clear stamps.  I've bought very few stamp sets because of this and also because of the increased size of stamp sets and the increased price.  I don't need all the little extra stamps in the sets like hearts, stars, thank you and others since I have tons of them already; and I don't want to spend almost $25 for a stamp set and much more for the coordinating dies so I'm extra picky about what I'll be buying. 
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-20-2020, 10:25 AM   #9  
Glitter Guru

I agree!  It seems like a lot of the newer stamps are more simple.  I guess with so much out there it would be hard to come up with new designs, and they have to come up with new stuff so often.  
I think it is going to feel very freeing to unsubscribe to the different company's sites.  I won't be comparing my cards to the designs on their sites.  And it will hopefully help me to appreciate what I already have!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-07-2020, 04:12 AM   #10  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 737 Likes on 358 Posts

I going to make a guess. Someone correct me if I am wrong...

I don't know if clear stamps can do the same level of fine detail as rubber? So when you look at companies like...Magenta, Viva las Vegas, LaBlanche, etc that do people images and so on...I don't know if you can do that in clear? So the clears tend to be more outline/solid type images?

Plus we seem to be coloring more when before we might do a color block BG and then stamp on it like a silhouette?

So the companies that are all clear stamps may have limits to what they can do?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-07-2020, 04:58 AM   #11  
Insane Embellisher

Received 173 Likes on 95 Posts

great thread and posts...  I too have been paper crafting a long time, like about 40 years (started out with construction paper in lieu of cardstock).  I bought the Original Cricut (Baby Bug) when the newer Expression came out and the baby bug was $50 off.. paid $118. at Walmart.  A couple of years later on Black Friday DH bought me the expression and when the special anniversary edition came out on HSN my brother bought it for me.  I seldom use it because there are just too many steps to cut a design.  Also have the Slice, did have a Cuttlebug but donated it to a retirement home when I bought the Gemini Jr.  I do have the little original Diamond Press and the Craft Buddy...  don't want something hooking up to a computer.  I had over 800 stamps but donated a ton.. I do belong to Spellbinders small die of the month club.  I have bought many items in the past, but this year have cut WAY back.  I too have been using my older dies (started the metal die cutting in about 2018 or so), and do have the Tim Holtz travel platform.  I do use it quite often for inside sentiments where I don't always get a good stamp.  Sometimes I'll pull a blocked rubber stamp and get disappointed I can't use the platform.. but I also have a 'generic' thing-a-ma-jig which I quite often forget about.   Especially since COVID, I try to shop my own stash.  I'm trying to reorganize my craft toys because over the years I have accumulated quite a bit, and sometimes forget what all I have.  My Expression and Gemini Jr are still used quite a bit, and I do attend a Stampin Up group monthly.  Their prices have gone up, but I do see their matching items make less work trying to figure out colors and themes.  I scraplift ideas from their catalogs..   God has blessed me with a passion for paper crafting, and I have a card ministry for our church as well as Cards for a Cause,  Teapot Tuesday, etc...  that was my 'excuse' for adding to my collection.. I did discover some Dollar Tree stores have now added a decent crafting section too..  have a hard time passing up $1. supplies. Now, I thank Him for the inspiration and supplies, and hopefully will only need adhesives ..  LOL 
John 3:16
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-07-2020, 05:28 AM   #12  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

I like old school better. I feel more artistic. All the trends do not feel natural to me. It really shows it when I create with those trends.
Plus, I hate the cleanup! When I am creating old school I have three tools on my table. I am not being flippant about this but trends my table is full of tools! I hate that! It is one of my biggest pet peeves!
Then I do think at times I love trends. I will buy the trend and realize it's been out on the market five years or more. I just got into foiling last year! I guess everyone has been foiling for at least eight years now according to tutorials I have looked at. I really do love foiling. I know most stampers are shabby style, distress, style, CAS style but I am glam style!
I was organizing my coloring supplies last night. I got some new pretties for my birthday. Nothing trendy but my favorite things I love to create with.
I was looking at my stamp items. I was thinking once again that I am a simple stamper. I am most happy stamping an image, coloring it in and then turning it into something beautiful.
I don't want to do techniques. It's not my thing. I think they are pretty but once again not natural for me as an artist. I do not and will not sign up for stamp store blogs or follow DT's. I went down that rabbit hole years ago and developed bad art habits that affected my professional life. I know some who are professional artists and stamping trends has enhanced their lives. No, that was a huge fail for me.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-07-2020, 05:46 AM   #13  
Matboard Maniac

Received 29 Likes on 21 Posts

Interesting thread!  I've come to realize that I really prefer red rubber. I think it stamps better. I have to really have to love an image/set before I buy a clear set.  I also, like others have mentioned, don't subscribe to a lot of companies because it just makes you think you can't go without that set...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-07-2020, 07:37 AM   #14  
Compulsive Stamper

Received 56 Likes on 16 Posts

I recently moved and "found" a lot of cardstock, stamps and tools I had forgotten about.  Retired and on a fixed income, the expense of the move has forced me to put buying anything on hold for at least a year.  It has been delightful discovering older stamps, punches and dies. As much as I like the other companies, I decided a while ago to stick to Stampin Up products.  I have also deleted many of the stamping blogs because it makes me want to buy whatever they are showcasing!
That's one reason I love Splitcoast Stampers.  The Stampin Up index includes many, many, many of the older stamp sets that I own.  Reviewing the samples helps me use what I have.  Some of the sets like LOVELY AS A TREE are classics.  I am going through my sets and planning to sell those that I had to have but never used.
I have a photo index of all my stamps/sets and marked them if they have a punch or dies.  When I get the new catalogs, the first thing I do is go through and mark what I would like to purchase.  Then I go through my photo index to see which sets are like the new ones I am thinking about.  I wait a couple of months and I can usually convince myself I really don't need the new set.  Enjoying my new home and setting up my 8 x 13 craft room.  Have to be really creative on storage.  But worth it.  Thanks for all the great ideas I find here.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-07-2020, 08:39 AM   #15  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts
Maple Leaf

I have narrowed down the companies that I subscribe to.  I follow Stampin'Up!, Tim Holtz and Heartfelt Creations.  Those three are basically my style and it keeps me more focused.  I purged a lot last year in stamp sets and dies and that felt good.  It freed up space and allowed me to purchase what I really enjoyed working with.  I still find though that I gravitate to my older stamps as they were the ones I didn't have much money to afford and really wanted them.  I think a lot of the older stamps were more thought out by the companies.  I prefer red rubber,  I like the results much better than clear stamps.  I agree that some companies pack too many little bits in a stamp set and then charge a crazy amount.  I liked it much more when it was just a focal image, one or two accent stamps and maybe a sentiment. I love stamping and colouring and I do enjoy the matching dies.  My hand shakes and it makes it hard to fussy cut so I do like it when a set I really like does have a matching die set.
Reply With Quote Likes