Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 04-04-2008, 09:17 AM   #41  
Kookie Creator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by AmandaWView Post
Sorry but if you spend $20 on a card or $255. on a 2 page layout your CRAZY! If you spend $255 on stamps your my friend! LOL

I couldn't agree with you more!! "To each their own."
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-04-2008, 09:25 AM   #42  
Insane Embellisher

What kinds of stamps is she using? Not SU! Some of them are very cute. What stamp companies allow you to sell your work usiong their stamps?

My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-04-2008, 09:32 AM   #43  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by snap_scrap_stampView Post
Hello, That link is to one of the cards I made. I would never spend that much on a card either. I was wondeing why I was getting so many hits from this message board. LOL! A few of my buyers are card collectors. Alice has a great customer base, and there are a lot of great card sellers on eBay. The customers are legit. I have some of the same bidders as she does, and they pay for the cards.
Thanks for letting us know.

I know there are people in the world that $16+ isn't that big a deal - heck I have actually met of few of them... shame I didn't have a card on me at the time :rolleyes:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-04-2008, 10:24 AM   #44  
Stampin' Fool

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm another one that says WELL DONE! to the successful card artists out there. It's good to hear that at least some are getting compensated for their creative work.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-04-2008, 10:29 AM   #45  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by victorialView Post
I'm another one that says WELL DONE! to the successful card artists out there. It's good to hear that at least some are getting compensated for their creative work.
Hey, Victoria! How ya doin!

Some magazines that you can submit to also pay for accepted cards! I got $75 for one that was in Cards n Things.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-04-2008, 10:39 AM   #46  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Wow, those Cards by Alice are gorgeous! They are real works of art. I love all the cut out parts. She does a beautiful job. Kudos to a fellow crafter who is doing well selling her cards. I know some of my friends have framed certain cards I've given them to use as decoration in their homes. Alice's cards could certainly be used like that, too.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-04-2008, 10:44 AM   #47  
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by pjw2855View Post
I hate to rock the boat here, but I think the bidders on these cards are really nuts! Yes, they are nice cards, but she really goes into no detail as to how they're made or with what products. She sure does push the glitter though. No indication of embossing or texture paper......not very descriptive. Who would put glitter on a sympathy card? Not a topic I would feel requires sparkle. Also, she only states a white envelope, not any word about embellishment on the envelope to tie it in with the card.

Sorry, but these would certainly not float my boat in any way. But if she's getting $$ for them, good for her, but bad for the buyer.

Just my personal opinions, I know others may differ.

Patti
I would. I don't see anything wrong with adding a little sparkle to someone's life when they need it the most.

My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-04-2008, 10:50 AM   #48  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by ConsueloView Post
Good for her. Glad to see the art appreciated so much.
Ditto. In spades, lol! I can only applaud and marvel at her success. Would I ever spend so much? Um, no. That's why I started stamping in the first place! There are a ton of folks though, who either follow one particular artist because they love the style, or just like the whole genre but haven't a creative bone in their bodies!

My sister, my twin as a matter of fact, always professes herself amazed at my cards. I thought one day I'd do some for her while she was here (she needs a ton of thank you cards for work), thinking she'd see how simple it really could be. Terrific Tulips horizontally across the top, Wonderful Words Thank You across the bottom. That's IT. She had her 2 doz. cards with coordinating envelopes in 20 minutes or so, and she STILL couldn't grasp how easy it was. That's just the mindset a lot of people have.

Pair the mindset with a good amount of disposable income, and it's not that difficult to imagine people doing this, lol.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-04-2008, 11:01 AM   #49  
Insane Embellisher

what is goofbay?

pretty cards, but you'd have to have a ton of extra cash sitting around with nothing to do-- to spend that much!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-04-2008, 11:07 AM   #50  
Gallery Gazer

As long as it's legal, I think it's wonderful that she is making that much money on her cards.

(Although she better take a look at the angel policies on some of her images.)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-04-2008, 12:01 PM   #51  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Originally Posted by MissLyssaView Post
what is goofbay?
goofbay.com is a site that allows you to enter a seller's user name, click on 30 days or whatever length of time you want, & you get to see how much that seller made in that time, plus her buyers if you want. Be sure to click on the American flag if you want it in dollars (must be a British site)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-04-2008, 12:45 PM   #52  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

I think both sellers make beautiful cards, and good for them! There are many people who love to buy on eBay, and handmade cards are no exception. I used to sell successfully on eBay years ago. I had a couple of repeat customers who would pay almost anything to get whatever I made.(I was doing holiday decorative and tole painting) One lady must've spent close to a thousand dollards alone and then emailed me asking if I had stuff I hadn't posted yet to sell! Fortuntately I did. Stuff that I wasn't too sure would sell--She bought everything. Sometimes they just like a certain persons style, and can't find the same anywhere else, so they'll pay for it. Unfortunately, it doesn't happen to everyone, it's so hit or miss when it comes to handcrafted items.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-04-2008, 01:03 PM   #53  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by stamps&carsView Post
Her starting bid was $2.99......that's not bad.....it is the bidders that are making the cards overpriced....not the seller. I say.....Good for them! There are a lot of people who have absolutely NO interest in making anything themselves....they have the money to spend and they buy what they like no matter how much.....like that two page SB spread that sold for $600+ last year.
Thanks Ann! Folks who pay this much for one card might be the same ones who pay $2,000 for a purse with a designer name. I say, if you want to spend a lot that's your own business. Who am I to complain? It helps to keep the money moving around.

Quote:

Originally Posted by snap_scrap_stampView Post
Hello, That link is to one of the cards I made. I would never spend that much on a card either. I was wondeing why I was getting so many hits from this message board. LOL! A few of my buyers are card collectors. Alice has a great customer base, and there are a lot of great card sellers on eBay. The customers are legit. I have some of the same bidders as she does, and they pay for the cards.
Thank you so much for posting. I'm happy that you can earn a good profit for your hard work. I did not know that people purchase cards in order to collect them. I have quite a collection myself --- but those are the ones I just never got around to sending.
John 3:16
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-04-2008, 01:08 PM   #54  
Gallery Gazer

[quote=GarnetJ;9402503]Thanks Ann! Folks who pay this much for one card might be the same ones who pay $2,000 for a purse with a designer name. I say, if you want to spend a lot that's your own business. Who am I to complain? It helps to keep the money moving around.
[quote]

Hi, Garnet! ;-)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-04-2008, 01:09 PM   #55  
Stazon Splitcoast

[quote=GarnetJ;9402503]Thanks Ann! Folks who pay this much for one card might be the same ones who pay $2,000 for a purse with a designer name. I say, if you want to spend a lot that's your own business. Who am I to complain? It helps to keep the money moving around.

Thank you so much for posting. I'm happy that you can earn a good profit for your hard work. I did not know that people purchase cards in order to collect them. I have quite a collection myself --- but those are the ones I just never got around to sending.[/quote]

;) LOL, Garnet! That describes MY collection to a "T"!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-04-2008, 01:44 PM   #56  
Matboard Maniac

If you really think about it, if you'd want to recreate a card yourself, you'd pay way more than $16.50 once you buy the stamp set, paper, ink, well, everything you need--you know!

I had a customer at one of my workshops who said how she wanted to start making her own cards to SAVE so much money. I agreed, of course, but thought to myself...hmm, if I were to buy everything to make this certain card, it would be about $100!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-04-2008, 02:33 PM   #57  
Rubber Obsessor

totally off the original subject here, does anyone know the name of the stamps used on that get well card? I love the little RXbottle with flowers!!

Thanks
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-04-2008, 03:18 PM   #58  
Mad Swapper

I didn't think Stampabilities allowed sale of items made with their licensed stamps (Sesame Street, House Mouse, etc). Does someone know if this is not the case? I see a lot of House Mouse stamps in some of those auctions.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-04-2008, 03:27 PM   #59  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by RAWSView Post
Nice cards, but not that nice.
I agree. Definitely not worth that amount of money!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-04-2008, 03:43 PM   #60  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by sarashepView Post
I watch pre-made scrapbook pages on there and I saw an Easter Layout- ADORABLE- 12x12- 2 PAGE layout- it sold for 255.00!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I saw some Christmas pages (two layouts) go for over $500.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-04-2008, 03:51 PM   #61  
Gabfest Goddess

Jeeesh... I can barely get a few bucks for me cards!!! i guess I need to invest in more glitter :-)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-04-2008, 03:51 PM   #62  
Glitter Guru

Hmmmm....I wonder how you ship scrapbook pages??
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-04-2008, 06:21 PM   #63  
Rubber Obsessor

Got this from the Stampabilities Website:

Angel Policy

You can hand make products using our rubber stamps and sell them for a profit, as long as no machine replication is used. This policy applies to all of our rubber stamps except our licensed lines, which are House-Mouse Designs�, Happy HoppersTM, GruffiesTM PEANUTS�, Sesame Street� and Born To Shop�. On these lines we cannot give permission for you to use them on products you will be selling for profit. Our request for no machine replication also applies to stickers, papers, etc.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-04-2008, 07:05 PM   #64  
Pearl-ExPert

That is an old Stampin Up set- I think both the penguin and the rx bottle are in the same set. I have it somewhere- and will look it up so you can scope out whether it's for sale anywhere!

Regarding the original post - I think it all depends on your audience. A customer of mine who buys Stampin Up from me is also a co-worker said she was selling cards faster than she could make them for people in our office for $3-$20 each. In two days she had $300 and wanted to buy more stamps! (YAY!)

They were really cute, but not cut out and layered like the ones on Ebay....hers had alot of embellishments like prima flowers and ribbon, etc.

At one time I was also selling cards at work - I sent 5 cards via interoffice mail to my 'buyer' and she put a $100 bill in an envelope under my keyboard while I was at lunch and emailed me that my payment was there - she would not take her money back. And then the recipients of the cards started to order cards too.
I say it IS possible to have people pay a lot more for cards than what we think they should be going for. It's fun and easy when you don't HAVE to make them, but when someone orders a card, it no longer is fun (at least for me).

Quote:

Originally Posted by phlpsfamily01View Post
totally off the original subject here, does anyone know the name of the stamps used on that get well card? I love the little RXbottle with flowers!!

Thanks

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-04-2008, 07:05 PM   #65  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stamper121View Post
Got this from the Stampabilities Website:

Angel Policy

You can hand make products using our rubber stamps and sell them for a profit, as long as no machine replication is used. This policy applies to all of our rubber stamps except our licensed lines, which are House-Mouse Designs�, Happy HoppersTM, GruffiesTM PEANUTS�, Sesame Street� and Born To Shop�. On these lines we cannot give permission for you to use them on products you will be selling for profit. Our request for no machine replication also applies to stickers, papers, etc.
Whoops!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-04-2008, 07:22 PM   #66  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by phlpsfamily01View Post

Thanks
The set is Happy Healing from SU. It was originally dated 1999 and retired a few years ago.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-04-2008, 07:35 PM   #67  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I used to watch the pre-made scrapbook pages on ebay. There is one woman whose pages always sell for over $250. She had one set that went for 750.00!!! We're talking a two-page spread. They really were works of art and she only puts up one or two sets every three months.

There were several sellers that were highly sought after whose sets went anywhere from $30 - $200 on a regular basis.

The pages were really cute, but I almost think to put pictures on them would detract from them. But if they can get that kind of money, more power to them.

I guess now I'll have to start watching the card sales.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-04-2008, 07:46 PM   #68  
Inking Addict

Something is fishy about this. Check out the name of the high bidder on both this and this. Coincidence???
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-04-2008, 07:52 PM   #69  
Pearl-ExPert

Here is another one of her pages that recently was on Ebay:
http://cgi.ebay.com/EASTER-GIRL-prem...QQcmdZViewItem

I love to look at the detail on her creations!

Quote:

Originally Posted by smithr66View Post
I used to watch the pre-made scrapbook pages on ebay. There is one woman whose pages always sell for over $250. She had one set that went for 750.00!!! We're talking a two-page spread. They really were works of art and she only puts up one or two sets every three months.

There were several sellers that were highly sought after whose sets went anywhere from $30 - $200 on a regular basis.

The pages were really cute, but I almost think to put pictures on them would detract from them. But if they can get that kind of money, more power to them.

I guess now I'll have to start watching the card sales.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-04-2008, 08:09 PM   #70  
Sassy Shani

Honest question here......why does this bother all ya'll so much? If she can make $$$ selling her artwork and she is not hurting anyone, then why does it matter? :mrgreen:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-04-2008, 08:24 PM   #71  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShanonView Post
Honest question here......why does this bother all ya'll so much? If she can make $$$ selling her artwork and she is not hurting anyone, then why does it matter? :mrgreen:
that's what I was wondering.. kudos for her and others that are making money off their artwork.. I see nothing wrong with it. As far as some angel policies on some stamps.. she might not know.. a nice note to let her know about it would be nice. I don't know the policies, so I wouldn't be one to tell her.. course I don't own any of them stamps, so I wouldn't bother about it myself. I really am glad to see that they are doing well. I have seen a couple of SCSer's that sell cards on ebay and do very well.

Pam

--English writer G. K. Chesterton (1874-1936)

~*BLOG*~
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-04-2008, 08:38 PM   #72  
Matboard Maniac

That's great that they are getting that much money from there creations,
But they both need to check into the Angel policies of there stamps before selling them. I would not want to be either of them if the worng person finds out they are illegaly selling copyrighted images.

Here's House Mouse policy,
Q. Are you an "Angel Company"?

A. I am sorry we are not an Angel Company.

Q. May I use your images?

A. Thanks for your interest and enthusiasm about House-Mouse Designs.

At this time we are happy to have you use some of our designs for your personal / non-commercial use. Because all of our images are protected by Copyright laws we are providing some guidelines for using our designs.

These guidelines are here to help you comply with the laws and to help you avoid accidentally or unknowingly breaking Copyright laws. Here are our guidelines and we thank you for reviewing them:

1) The images are for your personal use on your web site and cannot be sold to anyone, nor placed on products and sold.

2) The designs need to be kept as they are and not modified, though it's certainly OK if you want to change the size to fit.

3) It is necessary to keep Ellen's signature on each image. And to place � House-Mouse Designs, Inc. on each image.

Also, the information below must be placed on any page on which House-Mouse Designs are displayed, No other name / signature / copyright notice can be placed on our images.

� House-Mouse Designs. All Rights Reserved

House-Mouse Designs Inc., P.O. Box 48, Williston, VT 05495

4) They may not be included in clip art collections or compilation C.D.s.

5) Please do not use these graphics on any sites promoting obscenity or any other site that may be offensive. We reserve the right to request the removal of the images from any site that is not in keeping with House-Mouse standards.

6) If we request that any image(s) be removed from your site, we will give you one week to remove said image(s).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-04-2008, 10:30 PM   #73  
Matboard Maniac

I'm surprised at some of the negative comments reguarding the dollar amount this seller is getting for her cards. We should be celebrating the fact that she's being successful in selling something that we all love to do.

Maybe she's getting at least $6.50 for her cards (Starting price using BUY IT NOW) because she's ASKING FOR IT. I feel like artists often sell theirselves short by only asking $2.00.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-05-2008, 02:35 AM   #74  
Glitter Queen

It does that because one person place a bid well over the asking bid and when someone else places a bid lower it kicks you in as the high bidder. For example, if I had a card and put it up for $0.99, you could type in $5 as your highest paying price. The bids would show up as 0.99 and if someone came in with a bid of $1.50 then you would kick in as high seller with $2. I dont know if that made any sense but I tried!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-05-2008, 04:33 AM   #75  
Forum Fanatic

Hooray for them for getting that kind of money for their cards!!!! Well done!!!By 'ONLY' spending $20 on a card think of all the money that person saved by not having to buy the stamps, ribbon, glitter, latest gadget, embellishment etc etc etc!! Perhaps they are the smart ones
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-05-2008, 04:47 AM   #76  
Gabfest Goddess

But whether she actually gets the money is another story. A lot of that goes on with Ebay... high bidding then no payment!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-05-2008, 04:56 AM   #77  
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by CynamomView Post
But whether she actually gets the money is another story. A lot of that goes on with Ebay... high bidding then no payment!
I've never had that problem with any of my auctions. Of course, I only accept Paypal as payment most of the time and they pay within a day. It looks like they are both doing very well. Kudos to them.

My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-05-2008, 05:14 AM   #78  
Mad Swapper

Default Question about Angel Policies

Quote:

Originally Posted by craftycrunchymamaView Post
As long as it's legal, I think it's wonderful that she is making that much money on her cards.

(Although she better take a look at the angel policies on some of her images.)
At the risk of sounding really dense... I'm familiar with SU!'s angel policy because I'm a demonstrator - but where do you find angel policies for other companies? I visit a lot of websites like Hero Arts and such, but I have never noticed mention of such policies (of course, I haven't really looked). But I have sold cards on eBay and now I fear I've violated policy and feel bad. However, my cards typically sell for more like $2.00 each...

If anyone can help me out with this question, I'd LOVE it!!! I'm relatively new to SCS.

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-05-2008, 05:30 AM   #79  
Mad Swapper

Default Nevermind! :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by tjacoby98View Post
At the risk of sounding really dense... I'm familiar with SU!'s angel policy because I'm a demonstrator - but where do you find angel policies for other companies? I visit a lot of websites like Hero Arts and such, but I have never noticed mention of such policies (of course, I haven't really looked). But I have sold cards on eBay and now I fear I've violated policy and feel bad. However, my cards typically sell for more like $2.00 each...

If anyone can help me out with this question, I'd LOVE it!!! I'm relatively new to SCS.

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!
Okay - I found my answer... You can pretty much investigate angel policies by looking at the copyright info on most websites. Well... I guess I better send a short note to Hero Arts to ask their permission!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-05-2008, 05:31 AM   #80  
Glitter Guru

I think it's FABULOUS that there are paper-crafters out there getting paid big $$ for the beautiful artwork they create. Good for them!! So someone was willing to pay $16-20 for a card -- they obviously saw something of value in it and they have the $$ to spend that much. I think that's great!

I guess I just don't get why everyone gets in a tizzy over the high prices some pieces can fetch. I've seen dozens of posts on here over the years talking about how UNDER valued papercrafts can be. Some gals come along and are able to get those high prices every papercrafter (or at least those who sale their work) would love to get and everyone starts talking about how there MUST be something fishy going on. I don't get it. I say good for those gals who've found an audience who appreciates their work!
Reply With Quote Likes