Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 01-08-2005, 08:37 PM   #1  
Inking Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Organizing Stamp Sets

I was just wondering how everyone organizes their sets. I have a bunch of shelves and my sets on them but I can never find what I am looking for right away. What catagories do you use? Any tricks? Actually any organizational suggestions for paper, ink, tools etc....would be GREAT!!!!

Thank You!

Kristen
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-08-2005, 09:10 PM   #2  
Pearl-ExPert

try these threads for ideas!!! hth!

Forums at Splitcoaststampers

SCS member #7026
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-08-2005, 09:40 PM   #3  
Polyshrink Goddess

I'm not a demonstrator but I have 188 plastic cases filled with wood mounted stamps. I have mostly CTMH and SU sets. I have all of these stamps plus one shelf full of 8 1/2 x 11 card stock all stored on one book shelf I bought at Target.

The bookshelf is 6 feet tall and it came with 5 shelves (including the bottom one) . The shelves are 27 x 11 3/4" x 5/8". I added 3 shelves I cut myself from a 1 x 12 and covered those two shelves with a wood grain contact paper to match. I had to drill my own holes for shelf placement so that O could store my plastic stamp cases stacked 6 and 7 cases high. 2 of my shelves hold a stacks of boxes stacked 6 high in 4 rows and then the other 5 shelves hold a stack of boxes stacked 7 high in 4 rows. I purchased the small pegs at the hardware store that you just push into the holes you drilled to hold the added shelves. So now it is an 8 shelf bookcase.

The top shelf has my card stock sorted by color standing on it's side for easy removal. I have been unable to recycle the SU plastic wrap that comes with their cardstock so I bought gallon size plastic bags and folded and taped them to the size needed to store each color in.

I bought a whole case of 90 boxes from www.placon.com that fit perfectly on my 12 inch deep bookshelves. The boxes that I chose are called "this box"item # TX 5931 ZZ (NO LOGO). They are identical to the ones Stampin Up uses except they have no logo (of course) and come in several sizes. They only sell their items by the case and it came out to about $60 with shipping. That's only 67 cents a box though and each box holds lots of stamps. The box I bought is about 10 3/4 x 5 x 1 1/8. and the dept is the perfect size for my shelves. No wasted space with these stacked 4 rows to a shelf.

For labeling the boxes, I buy colored dot stickers. These are sold in office supply stores and in the office supply dept of stores. I stick a colored dot on 5 inch side of the boxes in the left hand corner of each of my boxes that are sorted by category.
I use
Red dots for Christmas stamps,
blue =backgrounds and borders,
yellow=summer,
green =flowers and garden,
orange= messages and alphabets, I also draw happy and sad faces for sympathy/get well on the orange circles
pink=baby and children.
For other categories I use my punches to punch out shapes that can easily recognize at a glance.
A yellow dot sticker with a orange balloon punch out on top=birthday,
A yellow dot sticker with a orange leaf punch out on top=Fall,
A yellow dot sticker with a blue fleur punch out on top=vintage stamps,
A yellow dot sticker with a pink oval punch out on top=Easter,
A red dot sticker with a white heart punch out on top=love (Valentine,anniversary,wedding),
A red dot sticker with a white school house or apple punch out on top=school/graduation/sports,
A yellow dot sticker with a orange bear punch out on top=animals,
A blue dot sticker with a yellow cake punch out on top=food,
A cut sticker that has been pieced together in red white and blue= 4th of July/patriotic,
A yellow dot sticker with a red music note punch out on top=music.

I then use the regular white labels and write the names of the stamps that are stored inside. I underline the title in red if it's SU and underline in blue if it's CTMH and stick the label on next to the dot stickers.

Hope this is helpful, Nan
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-08-2005, 10:51 PM   #4  
Mad Swapper

Wow, Nan! You are really organized!

I love the idea for the different colored dots! Thanks for sharing that!

I don't have that many different stamp sets (yet?), but I like the idea of having the dots on there for easily spotting the set I'm looking for.

You rock!
Cassandra
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-08-2005, 11:55 PM   #5  
This reminds me of a Star Trek episode....

Received 117 Likes on 98 Posts
Default storage

I like having my stampsets in their cases on bookshelves. I have grouped sizes, and they are alphabetical from there. Christmas ones are on a separate shelf. The large background sets are on a shelf. And I have recently set aside part of a shelf for alphabet and all-word sets.

I have always put the name of the set that comes with it, on the long side of the box. But my eyes are so horrible, I also hand print the name of the set in larger letters, on a file folder tab label. (You know, the ones with the stripes?) Then I can see it while I stand there and wait for ideas. LOL

However, sometimes I do have to pull out sets to recall what's in them. It's quick and not that big a deal. However, I believe my next project will be to stamp the stamps from each set onto a piece of paper, and put it in a binder. That will eliminate confusion when I pull a couple sets out! I've had to go back to an old catalog to get a small stamp in with the right set! If I had a copier handy, I'd make copies of new sets before I mounted them, as some of you do.

I've sure gotten some great ideas from this site.

"Fun must be always." - Tomas Hertl, San Jose Sharks
"It was fun." - Kirk, Star Trek: Generations
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-09-2005, 06:47 AM   #6  
Inking Addict

I knew I could count on you all to have some GREAT ideas. I am really impressed with your system Nan! Thank you for your great ideas everyone!!!!

:o) Kristen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-09-2005, 07:19 AM   #7  
Glitter Guru

I alphabetize mine on CD shelves. The only sets that don't fit on there are the long SU! boxes. I also seperate my retired ones out with Red dots on them. Here is a link to another thread that I posted a picture of them.

Judy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-09-2005, 08:01 AM   #8  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I use my stamps so much better by breaking up the sets. This way leaves are all in one drawer, etc. and I don't limit myself. It makes stamping so much more fun and more creative. I compare it to people who buy complete outfits versus those who buy pieces and look like individuals!! If I need to know what is in a set, I just check the catalog!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-09-2005, 08:28 AM   #9  
Embossing Fanatic

Default Storage ideas

I used to store my stamps in the 7 drawer carts that my DH got for me from Sams but after accumilating 8 of the carts I decided I had to do something else. I started remounting my sets on the EZ Mount oam and am able to store them in CD cases. I put them in alphabetical order except thr Christmas, background, alphabet, and word sets. The background stamps I left on the wood blocks and still have a drawer of their own. The other ones have a seperate shelf of their own, which is on a CD stand from Wal-Mart. My 8 1/2 X 11 paper is sorted on shelves I purchased from Target for clothset organization. There are 4 squares in each shelf so I put 3 colors in each square. I purchased 4 units, 1 for each color family. Now all I need to do is come up with shelves for the 12X12 paper. All my other stuff,(wheels, punches, etc.) I kept 3 of the 7 drawer carts and have a drawer for each. One of these days I will get pics of my stamp room posted. Hope that helps!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-09-2005, 08:39 AM   #10  
Embossing Fanatic

Hi,

Stampin' Wrose you said:
However, sometimes I do have to pull out sets to recall what's in them. It's quick and not that big a deal. However, I believe my next project will be to stamp the stamps from each set onto a piece of paper, and put it in a binder. That will eliminate confusion when I pull a couple sets out! I've had to go back to an old catalog to get a small stamp in with the right set! If I had a copier handy, I'd make copies of new sets before I mounted them, as some of you do.

I have a copier handy and I find it really great to make a copy of the stickers before cutting the stamp sets and putting them together. A thought: Collect your stickers and head out to Office Max or some other office supply store and make copies. Want to put together your stamps right then and there, some cities have Kinkos and I know that some of these are open 24 hours.

Another thought. If you are a demo, as I am, make a copy for your customer and insert in the stamp case with unmounted stamps. Sometimes as a special service I also mount the stamps. My customers tend to really like this service.

J
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-09-2005, 09:06 AM   #11  
Glitter Queen

i store all my stamps in vhs hubless cases by catagories xmas etc, i also stamp all sets in a book by catagory so all i have to do is look in my book and go to the set i want , by the way all cases are numbered and so are all sets in the book i have over 300 cases and i can go straight to the one i need
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-10-2005, 06:06 PM   #12  
This reminds me of a Star Trek episode....

Received 117 Likes on 98 Posts

I am a demo, but just a hobby demo. But it would be a great idea!

I have tons of scrap paper, I figure I'll tear them in half and stamp quickly on them, I'd rather stay home and do that than run out to make copies.

I have a box of sheet protectors I got at Costco, so I'll use full scrap sheets for those, just stamp on them and slip them in there.

"Fun must be always." - Tomas Hertl, San Jose Sharks
"It was fun." - Kirk, Star Trek: Generations
Reply With Quote Likes