Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 07-10-2007, 06:53 AM   #1  
Kookie Creator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Organizing SU Stamps Images

I have decided I want to use an index card system to organize my SU stamps so that I know what images are in each set, especially the words.

What I SHOULD have done is scan the label page of each set before I mounted them, but NO I didn't decide until I had only two sets left to mount.

I know that there have been issues with using the scanned image as the index card in the galleries, so is there any other way to access the images?

The image on the SU web site won't work for what I want as they don't print dark or detailed enough.

I am trying to avoid simply stamping every stamp I own, so any other suggestions might help me figure this out!

Susanne
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-10-2007, 06:59 AM   #2  
Matboard Maniac

did you look through the index card gallery here? I'm going to save the ones I have stamps for and print them out on some 4x6 photo cards or something and put them in a small album that I can access easily.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-10-2007, 07:06 AM   #3  
Kookie Creator

I did look at the index cards here, but I wanted the plain black and white image, not the posted "card" that now are the index cards images.

Susanne
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-10-2007, 07:18 AM   #4  
Matboard Maniac

Hi Susanne-

I ran into this problem as well. I ended up doing just what I was trying to avoid: stamping every stamp in every set I own. And you know, it really wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. Granted I only have 80 or so sets and I did it over the course of a week.

I purchased a 5 x 8 index card box (from Staples) and then cut 5 x 8 index cards from cardstock to stamp on. I would have purchased 5 x 8 index cards but they only came in packages of 500 (!!) for like $12 at Staples. The vast majority of the stamp sets fit on the cards and for the ones that didn't, I just made a "page 2" of the set. I labeled each card with the name of the set and the number of stamps along with they "category" and then filed the cards by category in the box. I love flipping through my box - I feel like I can see all my SU stamps at the same time.

Which is much better than having them all over the floor - like they used to be!

Not sure if this helps you or not...

-Gwen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-10-2007, 07:24 AM   #5  
Kookie Creator

Gwennie Jo

That is exactly what I think I will end up doing, I am going 4 x 6 since that box fits on a shelf spot that I have, but it is interesting that you have them by category, I am trying to decide on just that!

I have already made the card, and noted how many are in each set, and that some will need two, so I am guessing I will be stamping this weekend!

Susanne
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-10-2007, 07:45 AM   #6  
Matboard Maniac

Hi Susanne-

If you'd like my list of categories, just let me know and I'll PM them to you. Just a note: I printed the categories on little labels and stuck them on index tabs - I knew I could never write that small or legibly!

-Gwen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-10-2007, 08:12 AM   #7  
Glitter Queen

If they are retired stamps and you have the old catties you could cut and past the images on the cards. Or, you could scan or copy the images out of the catty and then mount them onto the card.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-10-2007, 08:19 AM   #8  
Kookie Creator

Cheryl
The problem with the catalog image is that they aren't in one spot on the page, they are spread out on the catalog page.

Susanne
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-10-2007, 08:42 AM   #9  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

I got an inexpensive pack of 12 x 12 white paper. I cut into quarters and use one each per set. Then, I file them alphabetically. I use different color ink depending on my mood.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-10-2007, 09:05 AM   #10  
Inking Addict

Why don't you just scan the page of the catalog? You can cut, paste and copy it then many times!

Linda
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-30-2007, 12:54 PM   #11  
Rubber Obsessor

I scan all my labels before mounting and have been for some time. When I buy pre-mounted sets, then I have to stamp them. Once you catch up, it's then easy.

However, I just bought Fancy Flexible phrases pre-mounted and I DON'T want to stamp all 56 of them, so I'm hoping to find a solution. (If anyone has the label sheet they could e-mail me, I'd love you. I already own the set!)

I, however, don't put them on index cards, I put them on 8 1/2 x 11 paper (grouping similar sets on a single page), then I insert them into clear page protectors and put them in an extra wide 3-ring binder. Then I bought the 10-tab Avery colored tabs and made an index. I have 10 categories and I just put the pages into the binder behind the correct tab. If you don't have too many sets, the binder will be pretty thin and you can file it on a bookshelf.

If you don't like 8 1/2 x 11 size. You can buy the mini ring punches that fit planners like Franklin Covey or Daytimers, etc.

When I get rid of stamps or sets, I just cut out the stamps I purged and photocopy the page again, or print out a new page off my computer without that set I'm getting rid of.

I also like scanning the images, because I can design cards on my computer, arranging the stamp images as I'd like them to be and playing with color, then when I have a design I like, I can just make it when I get a chance without wasting time, ink and paper.

OK - if someone has Fancy Flexible phrases, pleeeeaaaase PM me so I don't have to stamp 'em all!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-30-2007, 04:27 PM   #12  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by SusieN56View Post
I did look at the index cards here, but I wanted the plain black and white image, not the posted "card" that now are the index cards images.

Susanne
Susanne,

The only idea I have for you is to try printing one of the indexes from the SCS gallery in black and white. You can set that on your printer settings before printing.

I'm going through the indexing process right now myself as I am unmounting all my stamps to rubber only and storing them in CD cases. I am stamping an 8.5x11 index for each CD case. Boy, I hope I don't regret this decision somewhere down the line. :mrgreen:

Good luck!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-30-2007, 04:30 PM   #13  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeeinNJView Post
OK - if someone has Fancy Flexible phrases, pleeeeaaaase PM me so I don't have to stamp 'em all!!!

An idea for you - do a search on ebay. I think you can find unmounted sets where they have scanned the image sheet. Just copy the photo and you're good to go.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-30-2007, 05:27 PM   #14  
Crimping Master

Why not just scan them in the box and reduce the image to 4x6 or 8.5x11?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-30-2007, 05:28 PM   #15  
Crimping Master

Well, that wouldn't work for FFP. Sorry.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-30-2007, 06:09 PM   #16  
Inking Addict

Default Stamp Images

It is a shame that all of us are having to perform the same tasks to get a picture of the image, and there is not somewhere we can go on-line to get them. Tonight, I just organized my stamp sets in alphabetical order. That way when I find them in the binder I am going to make, it will be easy to find them on the shelves.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-30-2007, 06:28 PM   #17  
Compulsive Stamper

Gwen, I would like to get a list of your catagories if possible I think I should organize mine too sounds like a great idea then you don't double buy as I know I have done in the past. Funny thing you like a stamp so well when you see it again you buy it again!! lol
You could email it to me too if you need to.
Thanks
Sarah
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-30-2007, 07:31 PM   #18  
Pearl-ExPert

I have mine in a three ring binder. Some are the scanned label sheets, and some are stamped images. I have them sorted by holiday/category. It is not the prettiest, but it works for me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-30-2007, 07:52 PM   #19  
Matboard Maniac

I too am in the process of organizing my SU stamp sets. Fortunately I have made a copy of the label sheets before I attached them. Now I am in the process of organizing all my sets by the size of the box they are in. I will then label each box with a letter (ie background size stamp boxes may be "A") and a number (1, 2, 3, etc). So when I go to look for a set I will know what size box I am looking for and where in the stack it will be (1st, 2nd, 3rd etc.). Hope this makes sense. I also am hoping to eventually make a secondary index by category by making another copy of the label sheet and filing it under a specific category (ie birthday, nature, etc.).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-30-2007, 08:01 PM   #20  
Matboard Maniac

I only have 5 or so sets so far, but I am going to get more, gotta learn all the tricks from you all!!!;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-31-2007, 06:58 AM   #21  
Mad Swapper

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I knew this was out here somewhere! I searched "flexible phrases list" taa daa! the site won't let me post the link... so go to "lists and charts" and look for a post called "all the flexible phrases" posted originally by larraine. It makes me nuts when I can't find something that I know is out here! guess that is why I download it!
Reply With Quote Likes