Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 12-26-2010, 06:53 AM   #161  
Insane Embellisher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by KristipapercreatioView Post
You are a wise person and I like your outlook. I think it is easy to get caught up in the latest craze and buy,buy,buy. I am guilty of this too. I look at all of my stuff sometimes and I have TOO many choices and it overwhelms me. I think it stifles creativity to have so much at your disposal. I am trying to get back to basics and use what I have a get rid of things I don't need or won't use. Hopefully I'll save some money in the process.
Gosh I hear you! Unfortunately, as awesome a hobby as this is, it's incredibly EASY to overspend---and OVERSPEND BIG! I am guilty as charged here and have no one but MYSELF to blame. Self-control and delayed gratification have never been qualities that I possess a lot of, which has made it EASY to over indulge --- in a lot of areas.

I am trying to change this, but it's a battle, plain and simple. I like, no LOVE, crafting goodies of all sorts. Yet, too much of almost anything, even "good things" is NOT a good thing....I keep telling myself that....OVER and OVER...
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-26-2010, 07:06 AM   #162  
Hardware Hotshot

I am probably older than most of you and the idea of shopping as a form of recreation is a fairly new concept..
Until the late 80's and beyond we went shopping because we wanted or needed something. We didn't go shopping as a diversion or because we were stressed or bored .

My Grandchildren buy something new and the minute they have it then it is old and they want something else that they don't have. It is a never ending cycle of consumerism. There will always be things we don't have.

For most of my life we didn't have the vast array of products that are available today. However, we carefully thought about what we wanted and when we bought something we were HAPPY WITH IT! We didn't have our eyes on the next thing the minute we got something new.

I am still this way . I don't impulse buy. I think about what I want and then I am satisfied, use and enjoy what I have.

To entice people to buy more than they will ever use companies routinely discontinue things or have a limited supply so people feel they need to buy it NOW before it is gone. I think if something I like is discontinued then I am sure I will find something else I like equally as well.

If people get out of the mindset of shopping as recreation or buying something before it is gone they will have a lot fewer regrets and will enjoy and use what they have a lot more .

PS I ended the Christmas shopping season with a lot of unused 50% off coupons , because there was nothing i really wanted or needed and felt no obligation to use them. Coupons are another trap.

Last edited by Barbara Jay; 12-26-2010 at 07:17 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-26-2010, 07:32 AM   #163  
Gabfest Goddess

We must be part of the same generation: I tend to be the same: "I don't impulse buy. I think about what I want and then I am satisfied, use and enjoy what I have." There are certain things I buy, that I love, that I find a project for. So, shopping that way has helped me avoid investing needless money in high priced things that I really don't need. And when it comes to buying to relieve stress, my wants are cheap! lol! I love treating myself to a goody that I can get with a coupon and enjoy playing with. Or the dollar bin, or the local dime store markdown.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-26-2010, 07:33 AM   #164  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barbara JayView Post
I am probably older than most of you and the idea of shopping as a form of recreation is a fairly new concept..
Until the late 80's and beyond we went shopping because we wanted or needed something. We didn't go shopping as a diversion or because we were stressed or bored .

My Grandchildren buy something new and the minute they have it then it is old and they want something else that they don't have. It is a never ending cycle of consumerism. There will always be things we don't have.

For most of my life we didn't have the vast array of products that are available today. However, we carefully thought about what we wanted and when we bought something we were HAPPY WITH IT! We didn't have our eyes on the next thing the minute we got something new.

I am still this way . I don't impulse buy. I think about what I want and then I am satisfied, use and enjoy what I have.

To entice people to buy more than they will ever use companies routinely discontinue things or have a limited supply so people feel they need to buy it NOW before it is gone. I think if something I like is discontinued then I am sure I will find something else I like equally as well.

If people get out of the mindset of shopping as recreation or buying something before it is gone they will have a lot fewer regrets and will enjoy and use what they have a lot more .

PS I ended the Christmas shopping season with a lot of unused 50% off coupons , because there was nothing i really wanted or needed and felt no obligation to use them. Coupons are another trap.
I like your very wise perspective. It's quite true! Many lessons to be learned here! I am going to TRY to limit my craft spending in 2011 to necessities (adhesive) ONLY. Regarding stamps and tools---- I truly have all I need to make cards and then some. Personally, I think having too many of these items really impedes one's creativity. At least, in my case,I am finding that to be the case. Many others on this thread have mentioned this as well.

Actually, I've decided to challenge myself and see how long I can go WITHOUT buying anything (rubber stamps, etc.) while still making my cards and deriving enjoyment from my hobby.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-26-2010, 07:33 AM   #165  
Gabfest Goddess

"Coupons are another trap."

Sometimes mine go unused, because I too, go to the store and nothing sticks out that I really want. So I toss it after the expiration date.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-26-2010, 07:44 AM   #166  
Gabfest Goddess

Paper is the one thing I love and always buy when I can. And I really don't have a large stash compared to others. I use to get it yearly (twice) at the stamp convention from a company located in Hawaii. Beautiful paper, 10 to 15 in the pack from $1.50 to 2.50 depending on how fancy. Each year I would buy 3 to five packs of beautiful paper. I also have a huge stash of vellum I bought years ago, that is still going good. I think I paid less than 10. to 15 bucks for it. And I really don't have to buy anymore for a while, I have that much. I miss the company, they haven't been at the last couple of conventions. I also save money buying stamps at the conventions. I spent about $35-36 dollars at the last one and got seven stamps sized at 6x5 inches, 6.00 each, buy 6 get one free. Beautiful stamps, which I love! I found the Elizabeth Craft peel-off stickers, gorgeous, for about $1.00 to 2.00 in a variety of designs. So I really bargain shop and don't feel guilty that I spent too much money. I also set a budget, (conventions, maybe as low as fifty dollars, and don't take any plastic). Once that's gone, shopping is done. And I walk away feeling pretty good. Till the next one next year.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-26-2010, 07:56 AM   #167  
Hardware Hotshot

Another way to reduce unused purchases is to be honest with yourself.
What cards or scrap book pages do you really make?

I have seen many lovely Valentine stamps and card ideas . But I don't send Valentine cards so those stamps would be a waste of money for me.
I send one Halloween card to my Son-in law because he loves Halloween.

Are your friends young enough to be having children so you would use those adorable baby card images ? Do you have kids that go to friends birthday parties that you will need juvenile images ? Are your friends of the age that you have a few potential weddings in your future?

By whittling things down to what works for "your" lifestyle you will buy fewer stamps and supplies that become collector items

I think the key here is don't stop buying things just buy more wisely with a purpose

Last edited by Barbara Jay; 12-26-2010 at 07:59 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-26-2010, 08:06 AM   #168  
Gabfest Goddess

"But I don't send Valentine cards so those stamps would be a waste of money for me."

I agree. I tend to buy those things that fit my lifestyle too. I love and USE thank you stamps all the time, since I run a business. So making 'thank you' cards is big for me. I don't buy or waste money on things I know I would never use.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-26-2010, 10:17 AM   #169  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by BellegirlView Post
Actually, I've decided to challenge myself and see how long I can go WITHOUT buying anything (rubber stamps, etc.) while still making my cards and deriving enjoyment from my hobby.
Did I write this? Wow, exact words I would have used.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-26-2010, 10:20 AM   #170  
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stamper for funView Post
Did I write this? Wow, exact words I would have used.
:>)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-26-2010, 10:26 AM   #171  
Embossing Fanatic

I go through stages of buying... feeling guilty.. not creating. I started paper crafting just a year ago and I shudder to think of the $$ I've gone through buying everything I thought I must have. I'm seriously thinking of selling off a lot/most of it when our local stamp store hosts another "garage sale". I'm not very gifted when it comes to creating beautiful cards (although I WANT to :-).

This coming year I'm hoping to adopt the "less is more" attitude in many aspects of my life.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-26-2010, 01:32 PM   #172  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by trimontView Post
I go through stages of buying... feeling guilty.. not creating. I started paper crafting just a year ago and I shudder to think of the $$ I've gone through buying everything I thought I must have.

This coming year I'm hoping to adopt the "less is more" attitude in many aspects of my life.
Yes....I know how you feel!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-26-2010, 01:57 PM   #173  
RHS
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Amen to that - well said. Whatever happened to saving up for something. Our 11 year old granddaughter was just given an iPhone4 with a huge data package from her Dad (our daughter's ex) - what's with that?!! My needs are very few - always have been and appreciate the smalll things in life.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-26-2010, 03:38 PM   #174  
Rubber Obsessor

Send a message via Skype™ to jogrybali

Barbara,
I amtotally in agreement with you. Thanks
Have a happy day,
Jogry/bali
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-27-2010, 08:26 AM   #175  
Hardware Hotshot

I've never had "too much", my budget never allowed it! It's taken me five years to get enough ribbon, buttons, paper, punches to really create just about anything I need to. Of course I still make "due", even tho I have 100 stamp sets plus many singles!

One doesn't always have what they need even with all those sets. I only have one nestie set. Never needed a Cricut. I have about 10 cuttlebug folders and a few SU embosslits. Not one Copic!

So, I do need more...a bit more anyway!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-27-2010, 10:20 AM   #176  
Insane Embellisher

I've just been reading through this thread...quickly...and I can relate to every poster. I'm glad that someone found this thread and put it out there again. It makes SO MUCH sense that if you are overcrowded with supplies that it can stunt your creativity rather than feed it. Thanks to all of you for sharing so openly. Now, it's time to make some resolutions. ;)

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-27-2010, 11:27 AM   #177  
Glitter Queen

I feel your pain.

My problem began when we moved into a new house that gave me a dedicated Craft Room. I immediately felt the need to stock it from wall to wall and floor to ceiling.

I'm also guilty of buying all of the tools/supplies for the latest-greatest technique and then letting them gather dust while I stick to using my favorite standbys.

I think I'll make it a New Year's resolution to have a spending moratorium while I re-discover all of things I already have. In a way, it will be like shopping in my very own home!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-27-2010, 11:36 AM   #178  
Glitter Queen

Quote:

What a wonderful reply.

We just got back from Mexico and we had no Internet, no cell reception and only six TV channels in our room -- no satellite or anything like that. My sons adapted immediately. They even watched Home Alone 2....in Spanish! They never complained and went back to making their own "old-fashioned" fun -- playing card games, Marco Polo and tag on the beach.

When we have our parameters fixed (even if it's by default!) then we will learn to work within them....and be happy doing it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-27-2010, 12:17 PM   #179  
Polyshrink Goddess

I know what you all mean, I love every shiny, sparkly new thing! But because of how life is, I decided not to buy anything unless it was on sale. I don't live close to big crafting stores and I get most things via internet so I have to factor in shipping, which to Alaska is just crazy expensive. I shop a lot from Amazon and use their free shipping, if I can't get it that way I don't get it at all.

I have been able to save a LOT of $ buy using other brands, such as Dick Blick colored pencils vs Prismacolor premier, ShinHan Twin Touch markers vs Copic, generic glitter found at the grocery store vs designer glitters - and no one can tell the difference in my crafts than in my sister in law's who has every brand name thing out there and more stamps than a stamp shop (half of which she has never used). I have a few Copics and a small set of Prisma's and can say that the quality between them and Touch/Blick is negligible if noticable at all. But I always want to have more pretty colors - however, my husband is very good at encouraging me to develop my skills and create what I need rather than buying what I need.

I am very happy with looking at my pencils and markers and knowing that all my pretty colors were purchased for extremly good prices and I can look my husband in the eyes and not have to worry about trying to explain how much I paid for them. That is a good feeling

My splurge was a Cricut, which my husband wanted because he is a graphic artist and does vinyl for signs - but there are TONS of free SCAL and SVG's online which I use with Sure Cuts A Lot. Otherwise the cricut carts are soo expensive and most graphics on them are not used. Those wonderful souls who create and share their SVG's and SCAL's deserve heaps of blessings, they have saved me tons of $ and also have encouraged me to try my hand at creating images. Same goes for the digi stamp designers out there

And thank you to all you SCS who have given me recipes to make my own glimmer mist or shared your designs and $ saving idea!
Love you all!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-27-2010, 12:29 PM   #180  
Polyshrink Goddess

I just won a battle! I was looking at bindery machines - Bind it all, Cinch...really wanted one! BUT - I went with buying 200 loose leaf rings from Amazon for $25 and free shipping (couldn't find any locally). So I can make about 100 books or albums using cardboard from cereal boxes and that type of box, Modge podge and the papers I already have - compared to however much the machine plus consumables would have cost me!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-27-2010, 04:13 PM   #181  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by HighPlainsMomView Post
I feel your pain.

My problem began when we moved into a new house that gave me a dedicated Craft Room. I immediately felt the need to stock it from wall to wall and floor to ceiling.

I'm also guilty of buying all of the tools/supplies for the latest-greatest technique and then letting them gather dust while I stick to using my favorite standbys.

I think I'll make it a New Year's resolution to have a spending moratorium while I re-discover all of things I already have. In a way, it will be like shopping in my very own home!
I will be doing this too, will try
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-27-2010, 05:55 PM   #182  
Matboard Maniac

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Stamp to Spend

I'm going to renew my commitment to the Stamp/Exercise to Spend Challenge. I've been keeping track for a year and a half now and am just over $3000 in the hole. I've decided I'm going to start fresh now that my stamp room is "fully equipped" (actually over-equipped, but it was a learning curve :rolleyes. I am going to try much harder to not spend more than I use or even end up with a credit. If I follow it, not only does it help keep spending in check, but encourages me to get creative and actually make something.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-27-2010, 09:59 PM   #183  
Polyshrink Goddess

things that are my triggers...therefore I must avoid:

Trigger: Checking out Copics - I love, love, love color. I want every color there is.
Reality check: Am I a professional artist? I wish but NO. So do I really need professional quality markers? No. I found a good Copic alternative I am happy with (Twin Touch markers $1.89 on clearance) which has saved me hundreds of $. Would Copics make me a better artist? No. My husband - an amazing artist - has used food coloring - It's talent and skill more than the marker.

Trigger: Checking out every color Twin Touch marker made - they are on clearance, after all, what an incredible bargin, how can I pass it up?
Reality Check: I have PLENTY of markers and would I REALLY use each marker? No. And the great thing about these markers, as well as Copics, is their blendability - which equals being able to make colors I don't have. So focus on maximizing the potential inherent in the high quality markers AND develop my skills rather than purchasing more.

Trigger: sales and coupons - see prior trigger
Reality Check: delete emails and throw away fliers - don't look at them. Yes, I LOVE a bargin but it's not a bargin if I wasn't going to buy it in the first place until I saw it was on sale. And I don't need to buy it because it is a bargin - see prior triggers. *(note to self, read prior triggers and this trigger multiple times)

Trigger: Stamp companies - I avoid them because I love them. I read about new SU colors and collections...but must close my eyes.
Reality Check: Remember Partylite Candles? How many candles and candle holders could I possibly use much less need? And where are those expensive out of style candle holders right now? Can't even give them away for free...

Triggers: Gadgets/tools - TC Stampmaker, Cricut - cricut and more cricut, embossing, cutting, bindery machines and more.
Reality check: Love my Cricut but carts are expensive and most of the graphics won't be used. Alternative SCAL and free SVG's for Cricut. And I don't need a Stampmaker or a Cinch. I can actually draw my own designs - most stamp designs are pretty basic.

Trigger: Nestibilities, Shaplies and more.
Reality check: Penny Duncan Designs - free SVG's in all shapes and sizes (God bless you Penny!). I got the Cricut so USE IT TO THE MAX!

the lastest trigger has been portable Marker storage: Oh, those cute little (expensive) cubbies to store and show all my pretty colors!
Reality Check: The utensil basket from my old dishwasher is PERFECT marker holder - seperate slots to keep the colors organized and a nice handle to make it portable and small footprint. Not so pretty but USE MY STUFF TO DECORATE IT and then get happy because it works better than a non-portable but super cute cubby.

sorry, I felt the need to identify my triggers...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-28-2010, 07:42 PM   #184  
Stampin' Fool

"A bargain is something you don't need at a price you can't resist."

jovian7 - I liked your triggers, I may have to "borrow" these and your idea to read often.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-29-2010, 04:57 AM   #185  
Matboard Maniac

I so agree, I actually just today said , that I am going to use up what I have not buy new, since I have so many things that have not even been inked up. So glad that I am not alone in this

Kathy B
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-29-2010, 05:30 AM   #186  
Pearl-ExPert

I am SO glad I found this thread! I completely agree with everyone - if I have a coupon, I have to use it! lol

My biggest problem is I find projects or items I want to craft, so I go out and buy everything needed that I don't already have, then I don't find time to make it, then when I have time, the interest is gone! Bleh. Plus I like to knit/crochet, papercraft, cross-stitch, quilt, etc, etc, but what I do depends on the time of year, my mood and what else I have going on. I have sooo many unfinished projects it's ridiculous. But then the idea of going to Archivers and I'm all excited and buy all kinds of stuff I will probably never use, but it just looks so cool! :cool:

My other problem is that I keep buying paper and more paper. I buy when I find it on sale so I have it on hand, but then I never seem to have the colors I need, so I buy more and the rest just stacks up....<sigh>

And now I'm working on my very first scrapbook - a friend gave me one for my wedding in Oct. BUT I put out an "ISO" and a "Wanted" on our work classifieds to try to find some free or inexpensive wedding embellishments BEFORE going out and buying a whole lot of stuff...that felt like progress to me! lol

What's the old saying? Something like: "A man will pay more for something he needs, but a woman will buy on sale something she doesn't"? Always cracked me up.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-30-2010, 05:57 AM   #187  
kraf*T*y mama

hello! this thread is sooooooooooooo me! my husband works nights and so I am home alone ALOT and I am bored and lonely and so I shop online! I have so much stuff it's ridiculous! I am going to try really hard in 2011 to NOT spend money on craft stuff, clothes etc. I want to build up a substantial amount of savings!

Mama to Kaden, Blake, and Ava

Origami Owl Independent Designer
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-30-2010, 06:02 AM   #188  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by shastessView Post
hello! this thread is sooooooooooooo me! my husband works nights and so I am home alone ALOT and I am bored and lonely and so I shop online! I have so much stuff it's ridiculous! I am going to try really hard in 2011 to NOT spend money on craft stuff, clothes etc. I want to build up a substantial amount of savings!
YES YES YES!!! This is me too....I need to mend my ways so that I can do this too! I sure wish it didn't have to be so hard though...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-31-2010, 08:41 AM   #189  
Pearl-ExPert

I orginally responded to this thread the first time around. We got back last night from Costa Rica, no internet, no craft shopping, nothing. I had brought a few things to use and had a blast with them. I went into my craft room this morning and I was overwhelmed with the amount of stuff I have. And embarressed. I did stamp to spend a few years ago but didn't stick with it. I think I need to go back to the plan. One of my goals for 2011 is to stick with my budget and use what I have. Thanks for the reminders, ladies!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-01-2011, 02:53 PM   #190  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by crafty1021View Post
I orginally responded to this thread the first time around. We got back last night from Costa Rica, no internet, no craft shopping, nothing. I had brought a few things to use and had a blast with them. I went into my craft room this morning and I was overwhelmed with the amount of stuff I have. And embarressed. I did stamp to spend a few years ago but didn't stick with it. I think I need to go back to the plan. One of my goals for 2011 is to stick with my budget and use what I have. Thanks for the reminders, ladies!
I hear ya! I know I get overwhelmed in the obtaining of stuff. I don't know where the other thread went about this, but glad this one is still here..very weird how (cold-turkey one)..... just disappeared!
Yes, one of my goals for 2011 is that I'm done or at the very least am going to try to limit what I buy. It isn't easy though!

Last edited by Bellegirl; 01-01-2011 at 02:57 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-01-2011, 05:19 PM   #191  
Matboard Maniac

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

I hear ya! I know I get overwhelmed in the obtaining of stuff. I don't know where the other thread went about this, but glad this one is still here..very weird how (cold-turkey one)..... just disappeared!
Yes, one of my goals for 2011 is that I'm done or at the very least am going to try to limit what I buy. It isn't easy though!
I've subscribed to both of these threads and I'm still getting e-mail updates for the cold turkey one. This is the latest e-mail link I've received:

I'm going "cold-turkey" on the craft spending! Does anyone want to join me? - Splitcoaststampers.com

HTH.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-02-2011, 02:40 PM   #192  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Thumbs up

Quote:

I'm still getting updates for both.
Cheers

My Gallery - MyBlog

"To practice any art, no matter how well or badly, is a way to make your soul grow" - Kurt Vonnegut
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-02-2011, 05:24 PM   #193  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Wow what a great discussion here. Thanks to all of you who share your experiences -- I appreciate the time and effort it takes to contribute. Your posts are really helping people!

Here are my favorite points from this thread; I know if you've read from the beginning, you've seen them already, but it's good to mention them again.
-put "newbie" products in a special basket sitting out so they're seen and used
-most people don't know or care if the supplies I made their cards with are old or retired
-my room looks better without all the clutter!
-better on a card than on a shelf
-cards make people happy twice: once when made, once when received
-de-cluttering isn't money lost, it's extra space gained
-join a swap with the guideline to use long possessed but never used supplies
-too many supplies stunt creativity rather than feed it

I just put in a SU order today for me. I have to say I did restrict myself! I thought long and hard about all the stuff on my wishlist and only ended up getting like a third of it. There was one item I almost got but didn't -- and it was OK! I think the things I did end up with will be well-used. I can tell you for sure, I will be cutting into that designer paper right away so I won't hesitate to use it up soon.

Best of luck to you all!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-02-2011, 05:46 PM   #194  
Stampin' Fool

Default Too much stuff gettin' you down?

I have a lot of stuff to get rid of and I have resisted the idea of putting it in a yard sale or donating it to an art program. I wonder why this is? Partly, it's because I know what I paid for it. But now, it's no longer my style and I want it gone. I have no problem getting rid of old clothes, shoes or household goods, yet balk at the idea of letting go of this old stamp stuff. Both cost money, so why not let it go and enjot the new-found space? Anyone else have this problem?

Jutta
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-02-2011, 06:20 PM   #195  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by juttaView Post
I have a lot of stuff to get rid of and I have resisted the idea of putting it in a yard sale or donating it to an art program. I wonder why this is? Partly, it's because I know what I paid for it. But now, it's no longer my style and I want it gone. I have no problem getting rid of old clothes, shoes or household goods, yet balk at the idea of letting go of this old stamp stuff. Both cost money, so why not let it go and enjoy the new-found space? Anyone else have this problem?

Jutta
I think one of the problems people may have of putting stamps, especially SU sets, and such in a yard sale is many people have been conditioned to look at them as "collector items" with high resale value. . People shopping at yard sales are looking for some "new to them" things without spending a lot of money. They don't look at them as "collector items." and won't pay the price of an heirloom
Look how many people agonized over unmounting their stamps worried about resale value instead of doing what they need to do to make things workable for themselves. So they leave the stamps on wood for resale value and don't use them because they are stored in stacks of boxes .

No one looks at a pair of expensive shoes or household item with an eye on " resale value" . LOL

I let go of anything that no longer fits my style or was a poor purchase and didn't meet my expectations. I don't have storage space for things I can't/won't use
Furthermore I am the type of person who needs uncluttered space to work effectively . Too much stuff around me and I am on "sensory overload" . I just go in circles and I don't get anything done.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-02-2011, 08:16 PM   #196  
Stampin' Fool

I have gotten rid of literally carloads of crafting items in the last two years. I am a compulsive spender and even with getting rid of all this stuff my crafting room is still full. The only thing I noticed is that I can get into my room which is great, but it seems that every time I get rid of stuff there's something I wish I hadn't got rid of. I'm getting better with not spending so much every month but I have a long way to go before I can consider myself "cured". It seems that I keep finding these bargains that I just can't pass up. today it was a retirement sale at Purrs and Pants. I bought 138 stamps at what averaged out at .59 cents each. I'll probably never use 138 cat and dog stamps - animals and quotes - but they are so cute and the price is so good. Besides I haven't got into my savings account even once in the last two months. I can always manage to rationalize my spending to myself.
Reply With Quote Likes