Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 10-22-2019, 05:23 AM   #1  
Die Cut Diva

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Overwhelmed with SU cardstock and ink choices

Hi all,

I've used SU products for many years and built up a collection of ink and card stock. The trouble is, most of my colors are retired and I don't have many of the newer colors. My old ink pads are warped and need to be replaced (slowly).

I'm attending an SU class this weekend and want to place an order. I had a couple of questions about old vs. newer colors.

Daffodil Delight versus the old Yoyo yellow--are they pretty similar?

Pumpkin pie versus only orange. I suspect OO is more of a crayon orange, where are PP has a brownish tinge.

Also, what would be a similar replacement for Basic Blue?

Thanks for any help. I haven't attended a class in years and feel so out of it.

Rene
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-22-2019, 06:51 AM   #2  
Stampin' Fool

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You are correct that Pumpkin Pie has a brownish tinge compared to what Only Orange used to be.
When SU retired those colors it was a time when those basic “crayon” shades of orange, blue and yellow were no longer popular across the industry. Not just paper crafting but fashion and home decor as well.
The Daffodil Delight is, in my opinion, the closest thing to a basic yellow that SU now has in their regular color line up. Pacific Point would be the closest thing to Basic Blue.
HOWEVER; SU now has what they call “In Colors”. It’s a set of five new colors released every year, but they only stay available for TWO years. So there is an overlap year where you have 10 colors to choose from knowing they will only be available for that short time.

Currently, the 2018-2019 colors include a wonderful bright yellow, (Pineapple Crush I think) and a blue that is very close to what Basic Blue used to be. I think it’s called Blueberry Bushel. The other colors in this set of five are actually all close to some “basic colors” too. There is a green, red and orange. This set of In Colors is going to retire soon.
What many people do when they find a color they love is stock up on packs of paper and be sure to buy the ink pad and a reinker in those colors. Unless you make a ton of cards that could hold you for awhile.
Enjoy your workshop!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-22-2019, 07:08 AM   #3  
Die Cut Diva

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks, cobby. I know about the In Colors but have only bought one of two of those, given their shorter lifespan. I'll go with the DD and maybe try the PP and maybe the blueberry too. I don't have a lot of blues left in my stash.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-23-2019, 03:44 AM   #4  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 600 Likes on 244 Posts

Pineapple Punch is a bright yellow that will substitute for Yoyo Yellow. I will be stocking up on that one, for sure.
Mary Beth
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-28-2019, 03:48 PM   #5  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 86 Likes on 38 Posts

I really like the little uninked spots and refills, and my friends are ordering those too.
Reply With Quote Likes