Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 05-13-2009, 02:03 PM   #121  
Glitter Guru

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been having a similar issue with alot of the things in my house, I recently donated several large trash bags of clothes and shoes to Goodwill just because I had been hanging onto things I might someday wear. I have one more closet to clean out and then I think I'll finally be able to breathe. The irony was I began reading this post while working on a SU order. I am contemplating the DP special and several sets from the mini. All clearly wants. I will probably go ahead and order what I'm looking at, although I may cut back some. I do think all the "stuff" becomes overwhelming at times.
It can be very easy to get caught up in buying for the sake of buying. So I think looking at why we want something is never bad.

I have started putting my paper scraps into bags, I'll either use them to make paper or recycle them into fireplace logs.

Denise
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-13-2009, 02:37 PM   #122  
Matboard Maniac

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Whoooo, such a lot of good, thoughtful discussion. But I think it's impossible to say papercrafting is 'unethical' because of the greed of the consumers and the retailers and manufacturers. It's not the craft that's the problem, it's the humans who are. And it's not just papercrafting.... it's supermarkets bringing out of season food from far-flung destinations (do you really need bananas at Christmas?) and using unnecessary and wasteful packaging. It's the sports industry with their Chinese and other sweat shops and child labor. It's the oil industry with their dirty tricks to keep us using more and more of a finite product and meanwhile they're making billions of dollars profits. It's the pharmaceutical industry with their price gouging and unfair distribution of life-saving drugs to poor countries. And on and on and on.

The problem, folks, is humans.... and a lack of ethics, common sense, and care for the planet and other less-fortunate and more vulnerable humans. I feel guilty for my own actions but I don't accept guilt for things I can't control.
Old 05-13-2009, 02:50 PM   #123  
Pearl-ExPert

Oh you have put this sooooo very well. I totally agree.

Get over it girls. Do what is right for you and leave it at that!

Quote:

Originally Posted by scrapcat71View Post
While I agree the OP was most definitely venting and sharing her obviously guilt-ridden feelings, she was also most definitely attempting to incite guilt over our supposedly wasteful ways and consumerism in general.

I'm not offended by her post, just tired of the message. I guess I'm a wee bit irritated that even our hobbies that bring us and the recipients of our efforts joy fall under attack now too.

Who cares who's buying what? It's just ridiculous and judgmental.

I guess the next time I buy groceries for my family I should feel bad and just put it all back on the shelves because there are starving people in the world.

This thread makes about as much sense as my last statement.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-13-2009, 03:26 PM   #124  
PMR
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 625 Likes on 438 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by shellpoleView Post
Oh you have put this sooooo very well. I totally agree.

Get over it girls. Do what is right for you and leave it at that!
Well said!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-13-2009, 03:29 PM   #125  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

I think this question is one of the oddest I've ever read ... is it ethical? well, who decides what's ethical? Who decides what has an impact on the environment? even scientists can't agree ... Perhaps a better question would have been, am I spending my money wisely on things that I will use and reuse?

I do however, agree that we have become or are becoming devoured by consumerism and all advertising is playing to this. But, we all have minds, so where is your's leading you?

This thread makes paper crafting a "bad" hobby. Why not attack car racing, horse racing (cruelty to animals), gambling ... at least with my hobby, someone else benefits and it's not financial.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-13-2009, 03:38 PM   #126  
clean and krafty

Send a message via Skype™ to willosmama

Spellbinders DT Coordinator

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-13-2009, 03:50 PM   #127  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by diannep575View Post
I've never thought of stamping as being unethical and definitely NEVER thought of my cards as being stupid. Yes I spend too much, but I work fulltime, don't spend a lot on clothes, we don't eat out, I drive a 14 year old car, live in a modest house and so on.... I love this hobby!!! I can't tell you how many people come back and tell me how much a handmade card meant to them, for a death, birthday, get well, etc.
Wow, I could have posted this, except we do occasionally eat out and my car is 11 years old!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-13-2009, 03:54 PM   #128  
Polyshrink Goddess

Well, I have to disagree - I don't think the OP meant to incite guilt at all! She was perhaps asking that we examine our spending habits, our consumer mentality, and she even iterated at the beginning of her post that this was not meant to incite a riot.

I think the OP was written by someone that absolutely enjoys her hobby, but at least has the depth of character to wonder about and wrestle with the comsumer mentality that has afflicted all of us at one time or another.

For those of you that have no qualms about spending unlimited amount of dollars on your hobbies - good for you! In fact, I'm right there with ya! My motto is " If Mama ain't happy, ain't NOBODY happy" . The OP was about financial responsibility and good stewardship of our planet by reducing consumption.

Does anybody on here really give a crap what we or others spend on our hobbies??? No.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-13-2009, 04:20 PM   #129  
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by sewnmachineView Post
Well, I have to disagree - I don't think the OP meant to incite guilt at all! She was perhaps asking that we examine our spending habits, our consumer mentality, and she even iterated at the beginning of her post that this was not meant to incite a riot.

I think the OP was written by someone that absolutely enjoys her hobby, but at least has the depth of character to wonder about and wrestle with the comsumer mentality that has afflicted all of us at one time or another.

For those of you that have no qualms about spending unlimited amount of dollars on your hobbies - good for you! In fact, I'm right there with ya! My motto is " If Mama ain't happy, ain't NOBODY happy" . The OP was about financial responsibility and good stewardship of our planet by reducing consumption.

Does anybody on here really give a crap what we or others spend on our hobbies??? No.
I care! I think you should spend more!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-13-2009, 05:19 PM   #130  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Quote:

Originally Posted by sewnmachineView Post
if someone has to write a disclaimer before the rest of it, I'd think twice about posting.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-13-2009, 06:02 PM   #131  
Pearl-ExPert

Yep....We get bananas all year round (live in the tropics of North Queensland).....

Quote:

Originally Posted by JaneUKView Post
Whoooo, such a lot of good, thoughtful discussion. But I think it's impossible to say papercrafting is 'unethical' because of the greed of the consumers and the retailers and manufacturers. It's not the craft that's the problem, it's the humans who are. And it's not just papercrafting.... it's supermarkets bringing out of season food from far-flung destinations (do you really need bananas at Christmas?) and using unnecessary and wasteful packaging. It's the sports industry with their Chinese and other sweat shops and child labor. It's the oil industry with their dirty tricks to keep us using more and more of a finite product and meanwhile they're making billions of dollars profits. It's the pharmaceutical industry with their price gouging and unfair distribution of life-saving drugs to poor countries. And on and on and on.

The problem, folks, is humans.... and a lack of ethics, common sense, and care for the planet and other less-fortunate and more vulnerable humans. I feel guilty for my own actions but I don't accept guilt for things I can't control.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-13-2009, 06:17 PM   #132  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Originally Posted by prchvsView Post
if someone has to write a disclaimer before the rest of it, I'd think twice about posting.
But then, wouldn't all the threads be boring??

I think this has been a great discussion and no one has been really mean spirited or nasty- it's awesome to see a bunch of women from all walks of life discuss our passion on a deeper level than ink and cardstock. Everyone has expressed themselves well, whether or not they agree with the OP. That's what is so great about SCS- we all are so different and yet, so alike.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-13-2009, 06:30 PM   #133  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Originally Posted by geekgirl415View Post
But then, wouldn't all the threads be boring??

I think this has been a great discussion and no one has been really mean spirited or nasty- it's awesome to see a bunch of women from all walks of life discuss our passion on a deeper level than ink and cardstock. Everyone has expressed themselves well, whether or not they agree with the OP. That's what is so great about SCS- we all are so different and yet, so alike.
I find the discussion fascinating and the reactions to the discussion revealing.

Denise
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-13-2009, 06:48 PM   #134  
Compulsive Stamper

Companies have a responsibility to their employees to keep things fresh and try to garner more sales with creative products. That way employees get paid and the company grows. I, however, have a responsibility to stay within the means that my income allows. About a year ago, when my husband lost his job, I looked at all my stamping supplies and realized I have enough stuff to last me several years at the rate I make cards. I have many stamps I rarely use. Now I am trying to use the supplies I already own. It forces me to be more creative and rethink how to use what I have. I don't even know what a nestie is, but I know I can enjoy stamping just fine without it. I stay out of craft stores and don't shop for craft things on-line. I don't feel at all deprived. It is actually freeing to have power over spending.
I would suggest that if you think you really, really need something you don't buy it the first time you see it. Think about it for a while. If it something you still feel after a few weeks that you must have, and you can afford it (not on credit!) then go ahead and get it. It is amazing how often I walk away from a purchase and am relieved later that I didn't buy it. Sorry for the sermon!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-13-2009, 06:54 PM   #135  
Crimping Master

Thanks for the 'sermon'! (your words) I really like how you expressed this...it's about being responsible for the things I can control. I know I've gotten myself into trouble by buying things beyond my means...if I had just spread it over two or three months, it would have been far more enjoyable b/c I wouldn't have had to cross my fingers hoping that cheques wouldn't bounce.

I've enjoyed reading this thread. Thanks to everyone who contributed!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-13-2009, 07:54 PM   #136  
Sis
Insane Embellisher

No one asks us to buy their products. The ads are great and so is sharing our information. I love this place and all the stuff I have in my craft room. It makes me enjoy life to have some time to myself and create personal items. I do understand your thoughts and think there is room for all of us.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-14-2009, 03:24 AM   #137  
Insane Embellisher

I dont feel guilty because of the post but I do feel guilty because I know my own spending habits can get out of control when I'm having a difficult time, etc. It's not a matter of ethics to me, but for ME PERSONALLY, it is a reminder to keep myself in check and quit buying just because there is a sale...I'm horrible about that!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-14-2009, 04:00 AM   #138  
Matboard Maniac

Just came back from my craft room and a good day of cleaning, organizing and taking stock of all my supplies. I love my hobby. Plain and simple. I love all the cool tools and gadgets and beautiful paper that inspire me to create. I love that companies continue striving to use technology to its fullest and give us awesome creations like electronic die-cut machines. I can't wait to see what the future holds for this craft.

I have no purchases that I regret. I only purchase what I love in the first place and know I will use. I know that my purchases have helped to keep a few of my favorite manufacturers alive in this bad economy. That means I helped to save someone's job, helped to ensure they had a paycheck to put food on their table.

It's easy to point out the negative in things, but be fair and find the positive as well. I've found that those who feel regret or glutinous with their purchases are usually those that overspent in the first place.

As others have said, I can only control my own actions. I live a life of moderation and I live within my means. My means may be greater than others, so my stash might be greater too. Who is to say how much is too much for anyone? We can't all be equal in everything. What a boring world it would be if that were the case.

Environmental awareness is all fine and well. Since I've always lived in moderation, I don't have to reduce my carbon footprint. It was small to begin with. But keep this in mind too--there are upwardly moving countries out there that have no regard for the environment at this time and huge populations. I won't fret over my efforts or lack thereof towards a "greener" Earth and I'm not going to deny myself a better life in the process. I'd rather enjoy it now while it's still here
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-14-2009, 04:03 AM   #139  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by SisView Post
No one asks us to buy their products. The ads are great and so is sharing our information. I love this place and all the stuff I have in my craft room. It makes me enjoy life to have some time to myself and create personal items. I do understand your thoughts and think there is room for all of us.
Isn't that what the DT is for? They do the asking they show you all the new and wonderful things you can do with "only" this circle punch for example.

I spent 16 months with the majority of my craft supplies in storage (international move) and about $5 each month for purchases - I really enjoyed my creativity during that time. I won't say I made the "best" cards ever but I did enjoy it. I don't have to "spend" (beyond the basics) in this hobby to enjoy it. That is a good feeling, like the people that did the stamp to spend challenge. You rediscover some of your neglected stuff or work out a new way to use that one stamp set yet again. With my stamp collection now (and it isn't overtly large) - pretty much any purchase is a "whim" because I purchased to cover general events and holidays and hopefully my own creativity will make them unique.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-14-2009, 04:41 AM   #140  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by prchvsView Post
I
This thread makes paper crafting a "bad" hobby. Why not attack car racing, horse racing (cruelty to animals), gambling ...
Had I posted about gambling or car racing on a forum meant for crafters would that not have seemed entirely irrelevent? This is a forum for papercrafters. The OP is a question inviting discussion about our hobby-that's why I posted it here. How many people could involve themselves in a debate about car racing on here?

This thread does not make papercrafting a 'bad' hobby as you put it. There's been a great deal of wonderful discussion and alas also some immediately on the defensive attitudes. I'm only a person, a forum member discussing something we have all heard of anyway. Consumerism-there I've said it-you may be told in the US to spend for your economy but you are part of a world economy and a world nation. Much of our products come from China with shocking human rights and a heavy polluter of our world.

I never said don't papercraft, I just wonder when we are told to use less fuel, less heating, less flights, recycle more etc we don't consider our papercrafting too. Other hobbies too but it's a craft forum hence this specific topic rasied. I LOVE this hobby but we do NOT need every paper, Copic, nestie, Tilda, etc made. We don't. We can craft with much less.

This forum is full of threads about regretted purchases etc. Alot of them costly, big things but most posters list numerous regrets. I only ask you to consider how you do your hobby. Buy what you want-none of this is need, but not everything you want if you won't use it. The shop will be open tomorrow and next week and next year too!

Not all scientists agree on global warming-they never do, but it's widely accepted that the world is in serious trouble and I absolutely believe that we need to look at every part of our lives unless we don't want our children and grandchildren to lose many of the freedoms we do. You can all do what you want as has been mentioned by several, but I'll be honest though-the words 'I can/will do what I want' haven't passed my lips since I was little and in a strop when told my my parents I can't do something-'I can do what I want'!! It's not an attitude I embrace.

The 'American way' is all about freedoms. The problem is sometimes one persons freedom is another chains. You are free to have guns and gun crime is an epidemic. Even people who choose not to have a gun may be killed. We can't all have it all-it just doesn't work that way. You chooseto emit pollution and Co2 to the level you choose and the whole world suffers. You are not alone in this world. What you do, what I do, affects others-simple. Even your papercrafting. Think of consequences, think long term. We are going to have to compromise across the board for the sake of everyone.

I value this forum being able to discuss all issues and have been comforted to know I am not alone in my concerns and worries. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-14-2009, 04:49 AM   #141  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by willosmamaView Post
Oh... you crack me up! Yesterday, I was looking for little guy to use myself ;) ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-14-2009, 04:49 AM   #142  
Stazon Splitcoast

oops... duplicate post
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-14-2009, 04:59 AM   #143  
Insane Embellisher

Hi!

Ethic: A principal of good or right behavior. A system of moral principals or behaviors. Ethics: The study of the general nature of morals and the specific moral choices an individual makes in relating to others.
Ethical: Conforming to accepted principals of right and wrong that govern the conduct of a profession.

I have been crafting and creating things for myself, family and friends for many years. I'm always saddened when the "don't have not as much" try to make those who "have more than them" feel guilty. Unethical? Please, if you feel that way about crafting, find another outlet to ease your "ethics." Don't make yourself feel better by putting others down. It's about what's right and wrong for the individual.

To give and receive is part of what makes us human, how we give and receive is part of our individuality. Crafting is not a profession, it's not regulated and the best part about crafting is that all are welcome regardless of amount of supplies, skill, talent or passion. It's unifying not dividing.

Live, love and laugh,

Last edited by ladybugstamper2; 05-14-2009 at 05:03 AM.. Reason: spelling errors
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-14-2009, 05:00 AM   #144  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by blank canvasView Post
Think of consequences, think long term. We are going to have to compromise across the board for the sake of everyone.
BC, I agree with you, I know I am guilty of 'Does it matter what little old me does, when India, China, America, UK etc are spurting out so many toxins into the atmosphere'....but you know what it does.....if all of us....little old Me's out there, switched that TV off standby, unplugged the charger for the laptop, turned off that light that no one needs, turned down the heating stat 2 degrees, walked that little bit further so that we bought local...it would make a difference....HOWEVER I am realist...I want to be able to buy stuff from the world economy, but we need to get smarter about how we manufacture, and ship stuff, such as cleaner fuels, more efficient transportation.....

Personally I live in the middle of nowhere in the UK countryside, public transport consists of a bus a day, I cannot car share as I work in a different part of the country each week, local food stores are really high priced and limited in choice, so I can't give up my car, but I do make sure when I got out in it I make the most of that trip.

You may be interested in this website http://www.storyofstuff.com/ it has a very thought provoking and fun video to watch about 'stuff'.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-14-2009, 05:32 AM   #145  
Die Cut Diva

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I skimmed through the thread and my thoughts are that we are in control of our own actions.

If I read someone's blog and they tell me that I must have the latest whatchamacallit, I make the final decision to buy it or not.

There are a ridiculous number of blogs and internet sites that encourage and embrace 'enabling', but I have to make the decision for myself whether to act on it or not.

Frankly, if I didn't spend time on the internet, I wouldn't know about any of these products. So, it's our own fault for letting things get out of hand.

I take responsibility for my own actions and decisions. It's that simple.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-14-2009, 05:51 AM   #146  
Glitter Guru

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Quote:

Had I posted about gambling or car racing on a forum meant for crafters would that not have seemed entirely irrelevent? This is a forum for papercrafters. The OP is a question inviting discussion about our hobby-that's why I posted it here. How many people could involve themselves in a debate about car racing on here?

The 'American way' is all about freedoms. The problem is sometimes one persons freedom is another chains. You are free to have guns and gun crime is an epidemic. Even people who choose not to have a gun may be killed. We can't all have it all-it just doesn't work that way. You chooseto emit pollution and Co2 to the level you choose and the whole world suffers. You are not alone in this world. What you do, what I do, affects others-simple. Even your papercrafting. Think of consequences, think long term. We are going to have to compromise across the board for the sake of everyone.

First paragraph-yes, car racing would be a big topic on this forum--in fact I believe there is a thread dedicated to it.

Second--I won't knock your country if you will please stock knocking mine. Thank you very much.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-14-2009, 05:56 AM   #147  
Hardware Hotshot

I find it interesting that people are objecting to the fact that the OP has commented on consumerism and avarice and responded with 'we will buy what we want to; cause my finances are my own business' ....I completely agree that your financial status is your own business, yet I feel (and I could be wrong) that some people are missing some of the OP's point......yes you can afford to buy at this 'stuff' (I know I have plenty so I am including myself in the 'you') but the cost is so much more then the initial payout...there is an environmental cost ......she is not just picking on us because we are crafters.... she is (I believe) asking us the questions.....as human beings....should we be more accountable for all our purchases........the attitude of 'I'll do what I want and be damned' doesn't really wash anymore....

I don't think there is a magic answer I think though that we and I include myself in this should make ourselves more aware of what impact our purchases have on humankind, and not just craft purchases but any purchase....yes I know that the economic situation means that people are having to go for cheaper options....but cheap now may result in a very high cost later on.

Who knew I would turn into a ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-14-2009, 06:01 AM   #148  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by 53queenbeeView Post
First paragraph-yes, car racing would be a big topic on this forum--in fact I believe there is a thread dedicated to it.

Second--I won't knock your country if you will please stock knocking mine. Thank you very much.
Linda, I don't think BC is knocking any country - America is very well known through out the world for our freedoms. It isn't a bad thing however, to take a quote from Uncle Ben in Spiderman - "With great power (freedom) comes great responsibility". I live between a couple of Shaker communities and we have Amish nearby too. They lead a simple life. From what I understand they don't want the temptation of all the consumption when they can live their lives peacefully and fully without it. They are Americans and are guided by their religious belief to have a simple life. I'm grateful I have the freedom to have more than an Amish/Shaker life however, I am respectful and see the beauty of it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-14-2009, 06:06 AM   #149  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

This thread does not make papercrafting a 'bad' hobby as you put it. There's been a great deal of wonderful discussion and alas also some immediately on the defensive attitudes. I'm only a person, a forum member discussing something we have all heard of anyway. Consumerism-there I've said it-you may be told in the US to spend for your economy but you are part of a world economy and a world nation. Much of our products come from China with shocking human rights and a heavy polluter of our world.

I never said don't papercraft, I just wonder when we are told to use less fuel, less heating, less flights, recycle more etc we don't consider our papercrafting too. Other hobbies too but it's a craft forum hence this specific topic rasied. I LOVE this hobby but we do NOT need every paper, Copic, nestie, Tilda, etc made. We don't. We can craft with much less.

This forum is full of threads about regretted purchases etc. Alot of them costly, big things but most posters list numerous regrets. I only ask you to consider how you do your hobby. Buy what you want-none of this is need, but not everything you want if you won't use it. The shop will be open tomorrow and next week and next year too!

Not all scientists agree on global warming-they never do, but it's widely accepted that the world is in serious trouble and I absolutely believe that we need to look at every part of our lives unless we don't want our children and grandchildren to lose many of the freedoms we do. You can all do what you want as has been mentioned by several, but I'll be honest though-the words 'I can/will do what I want' haven't passed my lips since I was little and in a strop when told my my parents I can't do something-'I can do what I want'!! It's not an attitude I embrace.

I value this forum being able to discuss all issues and have been comforted to know I am not alone in my concerns and worries. Thank you.

Blank Canvas - you are one awesome person! And just as you said, I too have been comforted to know I am not alone in my concerns and worries. Americans unfortunately have a reputation with the rest of the world as having a ME FIRST mentality. My hope is that as we evolve as a nation, we can begin to think beyond our own backyard and borders. And as nations go we are still relatively young. So, maybe we have somewhat of a TEENAGER mentality. But we'll grow up someday. I just hope we don't do too much damage in the process. And developing countries such as China can undo alot of the progress the rest of the world has collectively made.

Anyway - thank you for even having the courage to start this thread. Thought provoking topics usually aren't tolerated too well by alot of women. If you've ever ventured into the Current Events forum.......well.......let's just say some women won't tolerate thoughts at all. But it's fun.

I'm spending the day in my sewing room, finishing a new set of kitchen curtains, and then I'll start a new bathroom shower curtain set. And because I have an ENORMOUS carbon footprint already with my fabric stash, I won't have to drive to Joanns for more fabric or notions.

Uh oh - I feel a Pete Seeger song coming on......
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-14-2009, 06:12 AM   #150  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by 53queenbeeView Post

Sorry fail to see how she is knocking your country....the American Way is Freedom isn't it? http://site.pfaw.org/site/PageServer...me=homepagenew

You do have a epidemic relating to death and injury due to gun crime don't you? or would you say 29,359 people killed and a further 64,389 injured in 2004 is acceptable?
http://www.nytimes.com/imagepages/20...H_GRAPHIC.html

The USA haven't ratified the Kyoto Agreement ,and it is less then a year since China overtook the USA as the biggest pollutant of CO2
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kyoto_Protocol

I don't personally believe the OP is attacking the USA as the the culprit here, we are ALL at fault and we ALL have to work together to find a solution

I promise to now remove myself for my soap box....;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-14-2009, 06:15 AM   #151  
Matboard Maniac

Well Blank Canvas, at least you finally voiced your real feelings. Sadly, this thread is exactly what I knew it to be. Just another thinly veiled attempt at bashing the "American way" as you put it and all of us nasty unthinking, unfeeling polluters, takers, greedy consumers that have too much and keep others down (oh, otherwise known as Americans).

I'm moving on now as I can turn the news on, waste some energy, and listen to this exact speech ad nauseum.

Oh, one more thing, I'm proud to be an American. Just because it's popular sentiment to hate America and her citizens doesn't mean I ever will.

Last edited by scrapcat71; 05-14-2009 at 06:24 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-14-2009, 06:22 AM   #152  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 164 Likes on 130 Posts

I have deleted my post 3 times...lol ...be back later...but it is an interesting discussion...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-14-2009, 06:26 AM   #153  
Hardware Hotshot

I for one am sorry if you feel that anything I have posted is anti American....every nation is currently reaping the backlash of the consumerism that has been rife for years.......I personally don't blame just Americans for it, I blame all of us for it (Europe, South America, Asia, Australia etc).......and I put myself as an individual at the head of the list ....I have been irresponsible and I know I have to make myself more aware of the impact my choices have.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-14-2009, 06:27 AM   #154  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Well Blank Canvas, at least you finally voiced your real feelings. Sadly, this thread is exactly what I knew it to be. Just another thinly veiled attempt at bashing the "American way" as you put it and all of us nasty unthinking, unfeeling polluters, takers, greedy consumers that have too much and keep others down (oh, otherwise known as Americans).

I'm moving on now as I can turn the news on, waste some energy, and listen to this exact speech ad nauseum.
There's nothing wrong with questioning consumerism. Just because the person doing the questioning isn't an American doesn't make her points any less valid. Looking back through this thread you will find a lot of Americans that agree with her, too. Adopting a negative attitude toward others will not change the realities that there are many people that waste without a thought. To me, the questions raised were more an encouragement to contemplate our use of resources than a personal (or even national) accusation.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-14-2009, 06:29 AM   #155  
Insane Embellisher

I'm posting to unsubscribe. It just dawned on me that I am wasting resources listening to the rantings of those who are wasting resources.

Have fun with this specious arguement. It's what makes AMERICA great, the freedom to promote fallacious ideas.

Last edited by ladybugstamper2; 05-14-2009 at 06:32 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-14-2009, 06:30 AM   #156  
Polyshrink Goddess

Jukie -

NO NO stay on that soap box. The only people that can get away with anything resembling a candid observation about the USA are those that aren't Americans. You may not know this, but until just recently, if we dared challenge this countrys position on Global Warming or torture policies, we were labeled as Un-American. The Love it - or - Leave it mentality was rampant. Constructive criticism was not wanted nor appreciated.

I think the world has a love/hate relationship with America. Even I do. I love my country, but at times I hate what we do ------ to ourselves ---and to others. It might take awhile for the global mind set to sink in over here. In the meantime I'll wave my stars and stripes, and hope that change is on the way.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-14-2009, 06:37 AM   #157  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Oh, one more thing, I'm proud to be an American. Just because it's popular sentiment to hate America and her citizens doesn't mean I ever will.
What?

The American Way of freedom has resonated around the world and that is bashing?

Comparatively with the world we have a fantastic country full of diversity, yet people get upset when someone challenges how some Americans act and I'm supposed to feel that that is anti-American?

I love America. I haven't seen any anti American sentiment, I have seen some constructive criticism that can apply globally to people of means. Just because people want America to be the best the country can be doesn't mean they hate the country or her citizens.

Constructive criticism - IMO many Americans need to get over their victim mentality. If the shoe doesn't fit then why be upset? If the shoe kinda fits then why is it upsetting? Lashing out at the person that points it out doesn't make the situation better. Now if you think the shoe fits and are perfectly content then there is still no problem with someone else commenting.

Its a bit like VPL would you want to walk around all day or would you want it pointed it out; just because someone pointed it out doesn't make them evil when there is no intent but for everyone to look good as regards VPL. Personally I would rather know than get home and find out no one cared enough to tell me. FTR sometimes I care and sometimes I don't feel well and I don't care if the whole world knows I have my granny panties on because they make me feel good.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-14-2009, 02:29 PM   #158  
Glitter Guru

Received 373 Likes on 222 Posts

This is really starting to turn ugly, so I'm unsubscribing. I'm seeing some "America bashing" here as well. I'm going to go use some of my resources a bit more wisely by getting off this computer and finishing a scrapbook page.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-14-2009, 03:15 PM   #159  
Glitter Guru

Well, I've thought about this since I read the OP's post yesterday . . . and in total honestly, I'm going to say that 90% of it just doesn't ever make my "radar." It's my hobby, it brings my joy -- and I can share that joy with others. I can afford it so there's not a $$ problem. I really don't see all the releases of new products from companies as something that promotes greed -- it's simply competition. How stale would this hobby get if there weren't new things being offered? I just don't see it as an ethical dilemma. Not for me anyway. I don't (and won't) feel guilty about my hobbies or how I spend my money.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-15-2009, 07:33 AM   #160  
Forum Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 18 Posts

When I first read all of the posts yesterday I got a bit miffed and started to write my 25 cents worth (not 2 cents due to inflation). I thought about it last night and then again this morning. Is the hobby unethical - heck no. The OP posed a question that I wish was not on SCS because I come here to learn and have a bit of fun. Not think about global issues ore read political statements. But, I value freedom of speech and it is a luxury that is often overlooked.

So, this morning when I was making my swap for tomorrow's stamp group I thought about is what I'm doing ethical? am I greedy when the supplies in my stamp room are worth more than many people make in a year. Is that my problem to solve? Does the delivery and maufacture of the supplies cause global warming, maybe, but my decision is that my beloved hobby is not going to make that much difference in solving the world's issues.

Everything we consume depletes resources and has an effect on the world. So I do what I can. I donate, I take mass transit, I use eco-friendly products, I've planted 23 trees to help reduce my carbon footprint, I use reuseable bags, I recylce and reuse, and I live in a very engery efficient home. I try to do my part.

Am I greedy - maybe depending on what standard you chose. I work hard to make a good living and have been blessed with the ability to live in a nice neighboorhood and afford some luxuries. Is that greedy - maybe, but no one is paying for my lifestyle but me.

Do I have regrets over some of my stamping purchases, yes, but then I didn't know it I wouldn't like it when I bought it. Was it greed? No, just retail therapy and some lucky person was able to buy it at a real discount at the local charity thrift shop. Again I'm supporting recyle and reuse.

As I made my swaps I thought about greed and ethics. The theme for the swap is "Bees". When I looked at my stamps I have 15 bee related stamps. Do I need 15? Probably not, but it was so cool to find just the right stamp. Was it unethical for me to have these stamps, no way Jose since my purchase to pay for a lot of jobs - from raw materials up to the retail sale.

Then I needed paper. Hmmm, in my reams and reams of paper, I found the cutest flower DSP and matching solid CS. Was is unetical for me to purchase all this paper, no, I didn't lie, cheat, or steal to get it.

Well the card is cute but just not cute enough. Ah, add some bling and it will be perfect. I open the stickles drawer and select 5 perfect colors. Greedy to have them all when I could have just used diamond? Ah, but it's so darn cool, to reach for something and have just the right thing.

I colored the bees with prisma pencils and had all the perfect colors. Unethical to have them all, well I don't see how since pencil wood is grown for the industry and it didn't cut down old growth forests.

Well the bees looked a little bland so I added some black from my glaze pens. Oops, perhaps the chemicals to make the glaze pens are depleting the ozone? Or maybe they were made in a sweatshop? That might be bad, but the glaze pen sure does make the bees "pop".

Well, the swaps are done. I used products from all over the world and everyone of them depleted a natural resource is some fashion, they had to be shipped, and when they are used up, most of it will have to go to the landfill because they can't be recycled.

Am I greedy because I like having a side selection from which to choose?
Am I unethical because I'm not considering the global effect of my hobby?
Am I obsessive and have to have and entire set of something?

No, I'm just a happy stamper that likes to have what I want when I need it. I will continue to purchase what I want, when I want, so long as I can afford it and try to offset my decisions my trying to "green" where possible.

If you see me on the corner with a sign that says "will work for stamps" honk as you go by as you'll know I was wrong to be such a consumer, but know that I was just trying to support the global enconomy in my own way.
Reply With Quote Likes