Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 08-21-2007, 07:54 PM   #81  
SCS RAK Coordinator

Received 55 Likes on 36 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by JenmouerView Post
well....I'll play Devil's Advocate:twisted: - just to show a different side
6. On line purchasing. Have you noticed the number of stampers who are buying Papertrey's releases BEFORE the images even pop up on the internet? Some of us are addicts and are immature. We go with the mob mentality. You NEED us because we tend to be the big spenders!!

For better or worse, the biggest spenders are IMPULSE spenders. Give your demos the ability to have websites with shopping carts and you will increase sales.

While I do enjoy putting things in my shopping cart and checking out...one has to remember that Stampin' Up is a HOME-BASED direct sales company...if you can have a website and people can just pop-on and check out - then why even bother having Demos...seriously why...what purpose would they serve...I know other home based stampin companies have gone this route and I have had friends who have repped for other companies drop because of Web check out...here were some of the problems associated with it...
  • Inability to offer personal specials
  • Cusomer ordering the wrong item -i.e. craft ink vs classic ink
  • Inability to check and make sure customer has everything they need
  • Inability to combine orders to allow for hostess benefits
  • Some demos not having a website - customers buy from someone who does but then comes to you to get instruction on how to use items

I know exactly what you are saying and agree that there are perks/info/education that people will miss by not having a demonstrator come into the home and do a workshop. However, there is a whole (mostly younger) generation of people out there who don't want to be bothered with a catalog or a home demo. They know what they want and they want to be able to go on-line and buy it from their favorite demo without having to host a workshop. By not offering the OPTION of a web site to SU! demo's, SU! and their demonstrators are missing a certain demographic. I would love to be able to put in an order with my demo without having to call/email her at times. Other times, I want a workshop to be able to learn new techniques. Offering a shopping cart doesn't mean my (or any) demonstrator becomes irrelevant. It just means she might get an extra order several times a year from me.

4 out of 3 people have problems with fractions.

My Gallery
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-21-2007, 08:05 PM   #82  
Dirty Dozen Alumni
SU Creative Crew Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by flipflopstamperView Post
I do love SU stamps but now that there are sooo many other stamp companies with so many new ideas that I find myself using my stamp money in other places. I do love love love the CTMH clear alphabets and haven't used wood ones since, and started trying other stamp pads for the same reason stated by just about everyone. I have all the classic stamp pads, so if they did redesign, it would be a while before I could repurchase. I would definitely love to see a blog space or idea forum on the SU website, seeing the stamps used here has made up my mind to buy some sets that I didn't look twice at in the catalog!! I think www.impressrubberstamps.com has a cowboy alphabet, but is smaller than SU.
There has always been a place on the customer side of the SU! website with new projects and techniques:

http://www.stampinup.com/us/enu/117.asp

I posted my response to Joan's letter on her blog, but I will point out here as well:

Papertrey - a website with a small selection of productions, including a whopping 9 stamp sets. No color catalog with project ideas, no demonstrators coming to your home, shipping still pretty high if you are under $40 (for a $24 set of stamps, I would have to pay $5.50, which is over 20%, compared to 10% with SU!), and no services provided to the design team such as are provided to demonstrators, including a monthly full color publication, a website, contests, regional seminars and convention.) No wonder they can get away with charging lower prices for their stamps. I do note that all their other products cost about the same or higher than SU!. They don't have any other cardstock than white, either.

Stampin' Up! - full color catalog in your hands for less than an idea book with 100's of ideas, a demonstrator who (if you get a good one) is falling all over you to show you new ideas and help you reach stampin' nirvana and who has the advantage of getting all the benefits mentioned above and SU! still manages to sell their products cheaper than a lot of stores manage to sell theirs.

I just don't see any comparison...it's not that I think that Papertrey is bad (though I have yet to feel tempted enough to buy any of their stamps and the one time I tried to order from them, the order never got through their system and by the time I discovered it, the item had sold out, so online ordering also has it's problems) it's just that this is apples and oranges here. You can't compare the cost of doing business for a small internet start up like Papertrey and a big direct sales company like Stampin' Up! and expect that SU! is going to match what the smaller company is offering.

While I like Joan and think she has some valid points, I really don't see Papertrey or the small companies like it making that big of an impact on the market.

My website/blog - JanTink.com
Facebook | JanTink
Etsy Store - JanTink

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-21-2007, 08:07 PM   #83  
SCS RAK Coordinator

Quote:

Originally Posted by peggView Post
I would think with technology today there could be some kind of ordering system where your order is logged through your demo (she still gets all commission and you should order only if you have a demo).
It absolutely is possible but it might require some additional changes and maybe SU! just isn't ready/in a position to do it. It requires a huge commitment to the technology to make it happen and often requires changes or limitations to what can be ordered. **deleted by moderator**

My Gallery

Last edited by stamp_momma; 08-21-2007 at 08:22 PM.. Reason: TOS violation
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-21-2007, 08:10 PM   #84  
Dirty Dozen Alumni
SU Creative Crew Alumni

Quote:

Originally Posted by purpleflowersView Post
It absolutely is possible but it might require some additional changes and maybe SU! just isn't ready/in a position to do it. It requires a huge commitment to the technology to make it happen and often requires changes or limitations to what can be ordered. **deleted by moderator**
SU! is on the point of rolling out our new websites. There have been hints that there might be some sort of ordering option on them, but so far, they haven't said one way or another.

The company hosting/maintaining the sites is one that does similar sites for many direct sales companies, including ones that having shopping carts on them, so it's entirely possible that we will see a shopping cart on the new websites once they get them rolled out. I certainly hope so, because I know there are people who would rather just order what they want without seeing me (though it makes me incredibly sad. :( Do I smell or something? :mrgreen

Facebook | JanTink
Etsy Store - JanTink

Last edited by stamp_momma; 08-21-2007 at 08:25 PM.. Reason: tos violation in the quote
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-21-2007, 08:10 PM   #85  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

*quote removed by moderator - TOS*

Why do we have to be mean? Sheesh.

Yep, me and Nutswithtwins are BFF's.

Last edited by stamp_momma; 08-21-2007 at 08:44 PM.. Reason: TOS
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-21-2007, 08:12 PM   #86  
Embossing Fanatic

*quote removed by moderator - TOS*

Whoa! All I can say is OUCH! Joan is a wonderful person and creative stamper, not to mention has been helpful here on this and other boards more times than I can count. I think this is just a tad bit over the line to personally attack her.

Last edited by stamp_momma; 08-21-2007 at 08:44 PM.. Reason: TOS
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-21-2007, 08:15 PM   #87  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by missjenNHSView Post

The only real complaint i have about SU is their control issues. If i buy a stamp i should be able to use it for anything i want--including selling it in a fixed retail location. Do other stamp companies have policies like this??
Sorry for the mini hijack, but I thought this point should be addressed. Most companies have restrictions on how aperson that buys their stamps can use the images. TAC is probably the most permissive. In the great range of angel policies, IMO SU actually falls somewhere in the middle. I've researched this issue before, and found that some stamp companies want stampers to handwrite copyright info on the back of cards and require stampers to send a request for permission in order to sell stuff at craft fairs (no retail locations allowed), including which images will be stamped and how many times (there was a limit of 50 copies). It was really a policy bordering on the rediculous. I think SU's policy of asking people to stamp a copyright stamp on the back is pretty reasonable.

As for sales in a retail location, once you purchase the stamp it is yours and you (the customer) are allowed to sell the stamp anywhere, including e-bay or a permanent retail location (demos are restricted from doing this by contract, but customers are not). The thing to remember is that you are buying the stamp, not the image. The image is copyrighted and all you are getting with the purchase of the stamp is a limited license to use the image for personal use and for some other exceptions. Some stamps may never be used for commercial purposes -- like stamps of any licensed character (mickey mouse, snoopy, etc.)

The analogy I like to make is to a book. When you buy a book you can sell that book anywhere, but you may not copy the contents of the book sell that without some sort of a license from the author, because the book is copyrighted. So all you purchased when you bought the book is some paper and glue and ink and the right to read it for yourself. You did not get the rights to sell the copyrighted ideas. Does that make sense?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-21-2007, 08:15 PM   #88  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by MTgalView Post
Whoa! All I can say is OUCH! Joan is a wonderful person and creative stamper, not to mention has been helpful here on this and other boards more times than I can count. I think this is just a tad bit over the line to personally attack her.
Exactly.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-21-2007, 08:18 PM   #89  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by stampwithdianeView Post

The analogy I like to make is to a book. When you buy a book you can sell that book anywhere, but you may not copy the contents of the book sell that without some sort of a license from the author, because the book is copyrighted. So all you purchased when you bought the book is some paper and glue and ink and the right to read it for yourself. You did not get the rights to sell the copyrighted ideas. Does that make sense?
Makes sense. I don't disagree with the copyright information on the back of the card, i just don't understand why it can't be sold in a fixed location. What's the difference between that and a craft fair? I can't believe that there are more restrictive companies out there! Thanks for the info!!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-21-2007, 08:27 PM   #90  
SCS RAK Coordinator

Quote:

Originally Posted by JanTInkView Post
Do I smell or something? :mrgreen
:lol: You smell great from here!!! I'm sure you have a lovely fragrance.

My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-21-2007, 08:36 PM   #91  
Pearl-ExPert

*quote deleted by moderator for TOS*

Whoa! That is totally uncalled for and you are not following SCS etiquette by blasting a person like this. Joan did not ask for attention. I liked her letter and mentioned it in this thread. People responded. Some nice, some not so nice. If you want to be this mean, PM; keep if off the thread. Joan is a really nice person; she does not deserve this attack.

MY GALLERY

"Do Not Take Yourself too Seriously.... No One Else Does"

Last edited by stamp_momma; 08-21-2007 at 08:45 PM.. Reason: TOS
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-21-2007, 08:50 PM   #92  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by denidillView Post
Joan did not ask for attention.
I believe the link to her letter is also in her signature line here on SCS...

just saying...;)

and practically every girl wants attention...

Oh, and I don't think that Jan smells - I swapped with her at convention a couple of years ago.

Okay, everybody continue trying to be nice...

"Rejoice always, pray without ceasing, in everything give thanks...."
I Thessalonians 5:16-18
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-21-2007, 09:06 PM   #93  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Makes sense. I don't disagree with the copyright information on the back of the card, i just don't understand why it can't be sold in a fixed location. What's the difference between that and a craft fair? I can't believe that there are more restrictive companies out there! Thanks for the info!!
Check out this policy: http://www.prickleypear.com/angel.html
or these: http://www.stampfrancisco.com/AngelPolicy.asp
or this one: http://www.inkadinkado.com/about/angel_policy.lasso

As you can see, policies vary from company to company and each copyright holder gets to decide how their images may be reproduced and sold, if at all. Like I said before, I'd much rather buy one stamp from SU and know that I can sell as many projects as I want in any non-permanent retail location than have to write in for permission every time I decide to participate in a craft fair.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-21-2007, 09:11 PM   #94  
Splitcoast Team Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I have editted a few posts here tonight for TOS reasons. We'll leave the discussion open ;) but whether you agree or disagree, lets stick to the issues in the OP. Thanks!

cool tool reviews from your Splitcoaststampers Product Focus Team
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-21-2007, 09:13 PM   #95  
Insane Embellisher

Wow - I was censored and I named no one!

Basically I was responding to a poster that said that a private matter was brought into a public forum. False - the "open letter" and blog in question is in the tag line of the author of the "open letter" who posts on SCS.

No problems address in the letter can be solved by the people who read this message board as they have no control of the company the letter complains about. True.

Send the letter to the company you are complaining about if you want to get some kind of positive change. True.

If someone is still unhappy, choose to take your business elsewhere and be happy as continuing to complain about the perceived problems will only continue to make you unhappy.

May I post this?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-21-2007, 10:44 PM   #96  
Pearl-ExPert

One person's idea of an improvement may not jive with another person's idea, but this is an open forum and people should be allowed to state their opinions. If you don't like the opinion, then just say you disagree. Unfortunately, in some posts, I get a vibe of "take your whining elsewhere, keep it off SCS". If the owners of SCS didn't want anything negative said about SU they would have it in their TOS.

SU is the predominant company on this site because the gallery is set up to favor its stamp sets, so it seems natural that there are plenty of opinions about them. SU has its strong points and some weak points, I think it is people who mostly like SU that would like to see it do even better. There is so much competition in this industry now, perhaps people are concerned that SU is not keeping up and don't want to see them fall behind.

SU has some smart people running the company and I think that industry trends may cause some changes that have been voiced here, time will tell. In the meantime, it's kind of fun to share our pipe dreams. Along those lines, did anyone scroll down in Joan's blog and see her list of requirements for her perfect retirement place? LOL... Dream on Joan!

Ok, so in my perfect little world, SU would offer bare rubber (not the clear stuff) in addition to the wood mounted stamps. A girl can dream can't she?

Kathy

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-21-2007, 11:04 PM   #97  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by purpleflowersView Post
I know exactly what you are saying and agree that there are perks/info/education that people will miss by not having a demonstrator come into the home and do a workshop. However, there is a whole (mostly younger) generation of people out there who don't want to be bothered with a catalog or a home demo. They know what they want and they want to be able to go on-line and buy it from their favorite demo without having to host a workshop. By not offering the OPTION of a web site to SU! demo's, SU! and their demonstrators are missing a certain demographic. I would love to be able to put in an order with my demo without having to call/email her at times. Other times, I want a workshop to be able to learn new techniques. Offering a shopping cart doesn't mean my (or any) demonstrator becomes irrelevant. It just means she might get an extra order several times a year from me.

I agree whole heartedly with this. I belong to a monthly hostess club, so I'm always going to workshops. But there's often times during the rest of the month I'd like to place an order, and would not like to have to go call/email my demo. Especially this summer, she's been vacationing a lot, so there have been times I had no means to buy something from the SU catalog. I LOVE workshops and have been going to at least one a month for nearly 2 years! I wouldn't stop going to workshops, but sometimes a girl just can't wait a whole month!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-22-2007, 05:03 AM   #98  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Sorry for the mini hijack, but I thought this point should be addressed. Most companies have restrictions on how aperson that buys their stamps can use the images. TAC is probably the most permissive. In the great range of angel policies, IMO SU actually falls somewhere in the middle. I've researched this issue before, and found that some stamp companies want stampers to handwrite copyright info on the back of cards and require stampers to send a request for permission in order to sell stuff at craft fairs (no retail locations allowed), including which images will be stamped and how many times (there was a limit of 50 copies). It was really a policy bordering on the rediculous. I think SU's policy of asking people to stamp a copyright stamp on the back is pretty reasonable.

As for sales in a retail location, once you purchase the stamp it is yours and you (the customer) are allowed to sell the stamp anywhere, including e-bay or a permanent retail location (demos are restricted from doing this by contract, but customers are not). The thing to remember is that you are buying the stamp, not the image. The image is copyrighted and all you are getting with the purchase of the stamp is a limited license to use the image for personal use and for some other exceptions. Some stamps may never be used for commercial purposes -- like stamps of any licensed character (mickey mouse, snoopy, etc.)

Actually SU Angel policy says that you cannot use their images on items sold in a fixed location - demo or not.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-22-2007, 05:29 AM   #99  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

SU! is on the point of rolling out our new websites. There have been hints that there might be some sort of ordering option on them, but so far, they haven't said one way or another.

The company hosting/maintaining the sites is one that does similar sites for many direct sales companies, including ones that having shopping carts on them, so it's entirely possible that we will see a shopping cart on the new websites once they get them rolled out. I certainly hope so, because I know there are people who would rather just order what they want without seeing me (though it makes me incredibly sad. :( Do I smell or something? :mrgreen
lol I don't think it's a matter of smelling or not. ;) I know that my demo places an order once a month. So if the ordering day is the 25th, but I want something on the 1st, I have to submit my order and then wait a month to get it. That's fine with me, but sometimes I want things faster than that.

I don't think she should have to place a whole seperate order for my two packs of cardstock so for now that works.

However, if I'm in a hurry for something, I would like the option of going online and ordering it myself. I think she'd get an increase in business from me if I could do that.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-22-2007, 05:33 AM   #100  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by canbenView Post
Actually SU Angel policy says that you cannot use their images on items sold in a fixed location - demo or not.
The SU angel policy applies to the image on the stamp, not the stamp itself. A customer can sell the stamp wherever they want, just not the images made with that stamp. Note the book analogy. Once you buy it, you can sell the actual book anywhere, but not what's written inside.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-22-2007, 05:40 AM   #101  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by nsrussView Post
lol I don't think it's a matter of smelling or not. ;) I know that my demo places an order once a month. So if the ordering day is the 25th, but I want something on the 1st, I have to submit my order and then wait a month to get it. That's fine with me, but sometimes I want things faster than that.

I don't think she should have to place a whole seperate order for my two packs of cardstock so for now that works.

However, if I'm in a hurry for something, I would like the option of going online and ordering it myself. I think she'd get an increase in business from me if I could do that.
If the once a month policy does not work for you you should discuss that with your demo and if she is unwilling to change it you might want to find another demo, even if it's just to place those "middle of the month" orders. I place my customers' orders on an as-needed basis. I try to combine small orders when I can, to save everyone on shipping, but the other day a customer was in desperate need of 3 ink pads for a project and was willing to pay the full $3.99 shipping to get them, so I placed the order for her right away and had them shippind to her house so that she would get them ASAP. To the extent possible I, and most demos out there, try to provide the best possible customer service.

The thing to remember about demos is that we are all independent business owners with our own policies. If you find that your demo is not providing the service you need, even after you informed her of the issue, then by all means find another demo by using the demo locator on the SU website or getting a recommendation from another customer here.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-22-2007, 05:47 AM   #102  
Embossing Fanatic

When you live in an area where there are only a couple demos and one has a notoriously bad reputation for customer service and the other has so many family obligations that she sets aside only one day a month to do SU business, it can really leave people hanging. If there were a way to order directly it would sure make things easier when you run out of paper or something. I am one of those people who is not going to give my Visa number or send a check to a total stranger. Been there, done that, and lost my money with nothing to show for it. I am ordering more and more from direct sites because I almost always get my orders within 2 to 3 days at most.

I did find a store once that sold new SU sets and that was wonderful as I paid no shipping. I am pretty sure she was not supposed to do that, but she kept about 200 sets on hand and she did a booming business in her local stamp store. I think the idea should at least be an option.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-22-2007, 05:59 AM   #103  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Now I place an order a month that is for hostess benefits, but if a customer contacts me and says she wants to order something RIGHT now, I place the order. You need to talk to your demo.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-22-2007, 05:59 AM   #104  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by MTgalView Post
I am one of those people who is not going to give my Visa number or send a check to a total stranger. Been there, done that, and lost my money with nothing to show for it.
It's not that I don't understand your concern, but any time you pay with a check or CC you're giving it to a complete stranger (unless you actually know all the clerks at the stores you frequent and the people who process your bill payments). Paying with a CC is pretty safe since you acn monitor yor charges and dispute anything that shouldn't be there. I'm not saying nothing would go wrong ever, but I don't think the rate of "bad demos" is any higher than the rate of "bad store clerks".
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-22-2007, 06:17 AM   #105  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by daisy453View Post
You are probably right but demos represent SU and it is from the type of service we get from them that many of us base our thoughts about the company (as in any product).
I've lived in two different areas of my state and in both cases delivery was horrible...in one case, it was well over 6 weeks...I would call and she always had an excuse. Very frustrating for me as a customer.
daisy
For my hostess clubs, I place the order that evening unless there's a late order. It's a big risk for me to order that quickly because of the 3 day cancellation policy, but I want to give good service to my clubbers. For workshops, I usually wait until the hostess says she's ready, but there's a maximum of 3 days that I'll wait before placing the order. In any case, I most alwasy have my orders back and delivered withing 7 to 10 working days. There is no excuse for for a 6 week deliver period. You're right, that's not a good representation of SU and as a customer, I would probably look elsewhere for a demo unless I was just blown over by her projects...then again, I would probably look elsewhere for another SU demo.

www.3ScrappinChicks.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-22-2007, 06:24 AM   #106  
Dirty Dozen Alumni
SU Creative Crew Alumni

Quote:

It's not that I don't understand your concern, but any time you pay with a check or CC you're giving it to a complete stranger (unless you actually know all the clerks at the stores you frequent and the people who process your bill payments). Paying with a CC is pretty safe since you acn monitor yor charges and dispute anything that shouldn't be there. I'm not saying nothing would go wrong ever, but I don't think the rate of "bad demos" is any higher than the rate of "bad store clerks".
That's right...just looking up "skimming credit cards" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Credit_card_fraud#Skimming) will tell you all you want to know. One of our credit cards was skimmed a few years back, either an an auto parts store where my DH had stopped to get a battery for his car or at a restaurant we went for our anniversary, we still never figured out exactly where.

And now that so many websites let you pay with an echeck by putting the numbers from the bottom of your check in for payment, there's a whole new way for people to steal the money in your bank account everytime you hand them a check. It's far easier to monitor credit card transactions... we were never made to pay for the items that the people who skimmed our card charged on the card ($5000 of car stereo equipment) but once the money is taken out of your bank account, banks seem mighty reluctant to put it back in for any reason.

Facebook | JanTink
Etsy Store - JanTink

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-22-2007, 07:35 AM   #107  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

That's right...just looking up "skimming credit cards" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Credit_card_fraud#Skimming) will tell you all you want to know. One of our credit cards was skimmed a few years back, either an an auto parts store where my DH had stopped to get a battery for his car or at a restaurant we went for our anniversary, we still never figured out exactly where.

And now that so many websites let you pay with an echeck by putting the numbers from the bottom of your check in for payment, there's a whole new way for people to steal the money in your bank account everytime you hand them a check. It's far easier to monitor credit card transactions... we were never made to pay for the items that the people who skimmed our card charged on the card ($5000 of car stereo equipment) but once the money is taken out of your bank account, banks seem mighty reluctant to put it back in for any reason.
Wow Jan -- what a horrible story! I'm glad it had a happy ending and you weren't out of pocket for all those expenses!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-22-2007, 07:41 AM   #108  
Stampin' Fool

[quote=MTgal;6933754]When you live in an area where there are only a couple demos and one has a notoriously bad reputation for customer service and the other has so many family obligations that she sets aside only one day a month to do SU business, it can really leave people hanging. If there were a way to order directly it would sure make things easier when you run out of paper or something. I am one of those people who is not going to give my Visa number or send a check to a total stranger. Been there, done that, and lost my money with nothing to show for it. I am ordering more and more from direct sites because I almost always get my orders within 2 to 3 days at most. [quote]

Did you know that some demos will use Paypal for Credit Card payments? If someone sends you an invoice through Paypal, they NEVER even see your credit card number! Just so you know for further options... as far as that is concerned, you could use a long distance demo (If you didn't like the ones near you) and have it shipped to you.... because if you were ordering online, it would be like a long distance store. Basically the same principal as checking out at an online store... It never hurts to ask the demo if they would do this for you.. the worst they could say is "No" and then you find someone who will meet your needs.

For all the SU! customers who are unhappy with service from the local demos, It is not SU!'s responsibility to make sure the the demo near you places your order in a timely matter... or orders more than once a month if you are in a hurry. It is THAT DEMO that you need to explain your complaints with, and if she will not provide the service that you think you need, then YOU should actively persue other demo options, instead of just being frustrated, and believing that SU! is so inconvinent. Many demos will want to help you out no matter what the situation is, and will want you to be happy with your SU! purchases.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-22-2007, 08:01 AM   #109  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by daisy453View Post
You are right on track here, Joan! I do hope SU will listen. They could use some GOOD sales once in awhile like the other sources have. Like so many of you, I've quit buying much from them as I can find the same or similar so many places.
As for the card stock...yes, SU is great but when I use so much for layering etc., it is such a waste to spend that kind of money when I can get 4sheets/$1.00 at Hobby Lobby and it looks just a nice IMO.
So, SU --listen up here ---- you may have many first time customers but you're losing some of your older customers who used to buy so much from you.
And, like others have mentioned, I don't like the 10+ day wait for an order to come in and then longer for it to get to me from SU demo when other sources will ship same day or within 24 hours.
daisy
I have said this in MANY types of threads. We are all free to spend our money when and how we want. SU's cardstock is not expensive. You get what you pay for. The only cs that is similar in quality is Bazzill and where I live that is 60 cents a sheet.

I don't have a hobby lobby but I have mikes and I do not think it looks as nice. I like the colors to match. I have cards that I made with cheap cardstock and they feel flimsy. The pink marker doesn't match the pink paper or the pink button. I don't like that look. Bellas are between 5 and 7 dollars and GinaK's and CHF stamps are not cheap but, IMO, they are quality stamps. So, I gladly pay. Can I got get a set of stamps for $15, yep and I can get them the same day and they won't be as nice.

I haven't read the blog post, because to be honest, I'm really a little tired of hearing everyone make all the demands on SU. I'd love to know what would happen if I came on here and said the same thing about TAC or Papertrey?

Yes, this letter was posted on a blog but, IMO, any time someone writes an open letter it is to start debate. It's why unions take out ads and write open letters.

What I have asked, over and over, and NEVER get an answer to is why is it that SU is expected to be everything to everybody? Why are they expected to accomodate everyone? Why aren't there any threads and blog entries starting a movement to get Papertrey to offer rubber of some kind? How come nobody expects TAC to offer wood blocks? Or CTMH rubber? I never get an answer to that. I don't like unmounted or clear. But if I find stamps I love then I just make it work. I don't expect the company to be everything to me. WHY can't I get my papertrey in rubber? Well, because they don't offer that option.

I can see shooting an email to SU saying, I'd like some clear sets but honestly, it seems like every month there's a thread in GS where people seem to be annoyed that SU isn't offering exactly what they want. Why are there no threads complaining that other companies don't offer matching colors? Or some online stores don't carry ribbon? Stampingbella does not have any brads, I'm am going to write that chick some hate mail. LOL

SU is not a clear stamp company
SU is not an unmounted rubber company

TAC is not a clear stamp company
TAC is not a wood mount company

CTMH does not carry rubber stamps

Stamping Bella is not a clear stamp company
Stamping Bella does not offer wood blocks

Papertrey does not carry rubber stamps

So why does the lack of options annoy people about SU and not these other companies? Where's the big uprising?

People complain about SU's angel policy, AMuse and Bella (just to name two)are more restrictive. Why no thread about that?

Does SU carry everything I want? No. Do I agree with every policy? No I don't know of any company that meets every persons needs and frankly, I don't think it's a fair expectation. Each company that we all shop at has their thing. If a company's *thing* isn't mine then I find a place that is. Maybe I shoot an email that says, oh, I'd LOVE to see....(fill in the blank) but I don't expect them to change their business to suit my needs.

I shot an email to eP asking them if they would be getting the doodlebug houses. Amazingly, they said they would order some. I LOVE them for that and they are the first place I shop because of it. If they had said, no, sorry, we don't think they'll sell or don't have room or don't like them, etc. Would I have been mad? NO WAY! I would have found another store that sells them. No hard feelings.

Also, yes, prices have gone up. Everywhere. Not long ago I paid under 2 dollars for a gallon of oil to heat my house. Now, it's nearly 3 dollars. We paid almost $4 for a gallon of milk this morning. Life is expensive. Those things are necessary. Stamps and paper are not. I would like to be able to buy all my kids clothing in the Gap because I really like their stuff and I think it's great quality. But, life is expensive and so often, it's Old Navy. If we can't afford or don't WANT to pay a price for something it's not the company's obligation to lower their prices so they we can afford them. It's our job to shop around and maybe find a less expensive place and/or to save cut out some excess somewhere else (really, how many times a week do my kids need to eat meat?:-D ) or whatever.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-22-2007, 08:05 AM   #110  
Watercolor Wizard

myhappyplace = really smart lady
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-22-2007, 08:11 AM   #111  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by myhappyplaceView Post
I have said this in MANY types of threads..... .

Brava!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-22-2007, 08:24 AM   #112  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Quote:

The thing is, I can buy the overpriced SU stuff elsewhere, so that's really no big deal. The way i see it, it's in the catalog so that those who don't have access to the internet or a large craft store can just do some one-stop shopping. I'm not going to buy it...it doesn't bother me that it's there. In fact, it gives me ideas to see it there knowing i can get it somewhere else. Since they're not going to sell as much of that stuff, of course they price it higher. That's basic business.

As for wood or acrylic, i could care less. If i like the design of the stamp i'll use it either way.

The only real complaint i have about SU is their control issues. If i buy a stamp i should be able to use it for anything i want--including selling it in a fixed retail location. Do other stamp companies have policies like this??

My cousin sells SU and has had nothing but good things to say--she's very successful and will be the first to tell you if you can buy something cheaper at AC Moore. So i agree that it is possible to just get a bad demo which kind of ruins the reputation of the company. That's a shame, really.
Yes, practically every major, and even some not so major stamp companies have copyright policies in place to protect their intellectual property. :grin:

I am assuming that you are discussing hand-stamped items for resale in a fixed retail location, and not the stamps themselves, yes?

When you purchase a stamp, you are buying the medium on which the image is created--rubber and wood, clear photopolymer, etc.--not the property rights to the image itself.

The copyright holder is the only individual/entity that can determine how their image(s) (intellectual property) may be used by others: whether or not it can be used for profit/gain by others, to what extent, if any, and through which venues.

As the purchaser of a rubber stamp, you are granted a "limited license" to reproduce the image via hand-stamping (mechanical reproduction of any sort is usually expressly forbidden) for personal use only. Hand-stamp anything you want and give it away. :grin:

However, if anyone wants to profit by using their imagery, then many companies have restrictions and limitations under which they will allow such profit by others to occur.

Companies, and individuals, that do not take steps to protect their intellectual property can find themselves incurring huge losses.

HTH,
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-22-2007, 08:44 AM   #113  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by canbenView Post
Now I place an order a month that is for hostess benefits, but if a customer contacts me and says she wants to order something RIGHT now, I place the order. You need to talk to your demo.

I'm sure if I wanted something sooner she would place the order, I've just never asked and gone along with her pre-designated ordering days. It's really not a big deal to me. I just think it would be neat to order items through a website (while she gets the credit for it, like CTMH or TAC) and get them sooner if I wanted something on a whim.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-22-2007, 08:49 AM   #114  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Quote:

I'm sure if I wanted something sooner she would place the order, I've just never asked and gone along with her pre-designated ordering days. It's really not a big deal to me. I just think it would be neat to order items through a website (while she gets the credit for it, like CTMH or TAC) and get them sooner if I wanted something on a whim.
I can understand that. :grin:

Are these shopping cart functions fully automated with these other companies? Or, does the demonstrator still have to process the order manually with the company?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-22-2007, 08:59 AM   #115  
Matboard Maniac

Well, maybe SU will figure it out when they notice their sales/profits dropping. I know I won't be buying anything from the new catty. Maybe we are all bashing on SU because they need it. I do wish they would offer unmounted rubber stamp at a lower cost for those who would rather buy it that way..... In my opinion, the comany should listen to it's customers desires without customers there is no company! JMO.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-22-2007, 08:59 AM   #116  
Matboard Maniac

Default JMO

Well, maybe SU will figure it out when they notice their sales/profits dropping. I know I won't be buying anything from the new catty. Maybe we are all bashing on SU because they need it. I do wish they would offer unmounted rubber stamp at a lower cost for those who would rather buy it that way..... In my opinion, the comany should listen to it's customers desires without customers there is no company! JMO.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-22-2007, 08:59 AM   #117  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by scrappincatView Post
mmmmm hmmmm! She some savvy stamper!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-22-2007, 09:00 AM   #118  
Matboard Maniac

Default whoops

whoops sorry for the double post.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-22-2007, 09:04 AM   #119  
Sassy Shani

<---agrees!!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by scrappincatView Post
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-22-2007, 09:14 AM   #120  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

myhappyplace - I think I love you.

Here's something else to consider - and keep in mind this is from someone who prefers buying unmounted and would rather spend less to not have the wood mounts whenever possible.

TAC used to offer the option of purchasing rubber stamps with wood mounts (worked exactly like SU, trim them and stick them on the wood) OR unmounted rubber with EZ Mount cushion to use with acrylic blocks. They stopped offering the wood mount option the year before last (I think) - my demo said it was because there just weren't enough customers who wanted to wood blocks to justify offering them any more.

There has to be more hassle and expense involved in offering both options than "well, just let us buy them without blocks if we want" or TAC would have continued to offer both options. It seems to me that you would need extra warehouse space to store both types because the other solution would be to have trained monkeys pulling the wood blocks out of the cases for people who don't want them and I can't see that

This isn't meant to be a mounted vs. un- post, it's just my pondering on why we might think something should be a no-brainer for a company but isn't really. Any company has to decide what market they're going to serve and then work out how best to serve that market. If you are in business as a tile layer, and you're a darn good one, you don't start doing plumbing just because some of the people you've worked for would like it if they only had to call one company when they want to remodel their bathroom. As a tile layer, you don't have the knowledge, skills (or license!) to do plumbing - and if you had wanted to be a plumber, you'd have gone into that line of work to begin with! But as a tile layer, you also understand that people who need or desire plumbing will be going somewhere else to have that done.
Reply With Quote Likes