Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 07-17-2009, 08:52 PM   #41  
Kookie Creator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For me it was Rafia, Natural and in every color of the rainbow. That was a long time ago. I suppose I should free up some space and empty the box.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-17-2009, 10:24 PM   #42  
Pearl-ExPert

As I hang my head in shame, I not only remember every single one of these trends, I participated in most. Am I really that old? Have I really been a papercrafter for the last 14 years!! Why aren't I better? :rolleyes: I giggle as I look back at my CM days of "sticker sneezes," white backgrounds, and cropping into shapes! Every now and then I sit back and look at my creations now and wonder what I will be laughing at in 10 years...or even in 2 years!! ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-17-2009, 10:28 PM   #43  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3 Little Love BugsView Post
This cracked me up....take a look at THIS. LOL!!!
Pretty card! That's a great way to use mulberry paper. I never thought to stamp on it. I use to use it as a layering piece. I will have to take a second look at my mulberry scraps.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-18-2009, 04:34 AM   #44  
Polyshrink Goddess

See, this is the pack rat in me talking - usually if you live long enough - everything old is new again. Then by the time it's new again, it is usually unique and vintage. (however one does need to know the difference between vintage and old junk). This might hold true more for clothing trends than papercrafting. But I'm not taking any chances - I'm hanging on to every stinkin thing on my craft table. Fortunately I don't have stickers, never have liked them.

And besides, I can only speak from my own experiences here - but generally the people receiving the card has no clue that decorative edge scissors or mulberry paper is passe.

Of course this "depression era" kind of thinking is how I have ended up with 11 sewing machines too :mrgreen: .......... and now that I think about it, none of those machines have come back into style - but they all still do what they are supposed to do.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-18-2009, 05:00 AM   #45  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 29 Likes on 14 Posts

I just sent a stack of old ribbon, paper and stuff to Girl Scout camp, but couldn't part with the fun fibers yet. Someday I may use them :rolleyes:
My Facebook Page
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-18-2009, 05:35 AM   #46  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess

Quote:

Originally Posted by mnfroggieView Post
Funny, I was just thinking about making a card with torn edges. Oh well, I have never been in style. When the rest of the cardmakers changed frm eyelets to brads, I bought all the eyelets really cheap!
ROFL!!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-18-2009, 05:37 AM   #47  

Quote:

Originally Posted by sewnmachineView Post
See, this is the pack rat in me talking - usually if you live long enough - everything old is new again. Then by the time it's new again, it is usually unique and vintage. (however one does need to know the difference between vintage and old junk). This might hold true more for clothing trends than papercrafting. But I'm not taking any chances - I'm hanging on to every stinkin thing on my craft table. Fortunately I don't have stickers, never have liked them.

And besides, I can only speak from my own experiences here - but generally the people receiving the card has no clue that decorative edge scissors or mulberry paper is passe.

Of course this "depression era" kind of thinking is how I have ended up with 11 sewing machines too :mrgreen: .......... and now that I think about it, none of those machines have come back into style - but they all still do what they are supposed to do.
Imagine all the money you can make selling your stuff, my pack-rat friend!!! LOL! 11 sewing machines....I don't even want to know how many pairs of shoes you have!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-18-2009, 05:57 AM   #48  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by laredostamperView Post
Cropping photos with templates - diamond, heart -bleecch! White backgrounds. Bad doodling.
Yes that was mine too, cutting photos into all sorts of shapes. I thought I was so smart when I cut my July 4th pics into star shapes.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-18-2009, 06:14 AM   #49  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by debzi333View Post
LOL!! but your card is really gorgeous!! That's what I meant about no offense about those that still use mulberry paper!!
Nah, no offense taken whatsoever. I literally laughed out loud because I started making cards @ 3 years ago and I came into it already behind the times. :mrgreen: I probably have enough mulberry paper to sew clothes for my kids.

BTW, you have an awesome gallery, I've always admired it! :-D
Old 07-18-2009, 06:19 AM   #50  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vina82View Post
Pretty card! That's a great way to use mulberry paper. I never thought to stamp on it. I use to use it as a layering piece. I will have to take a second look at my mulberry scraps.
Thanks, that was sweet of you to leave a comment. Maybe I should challenge you to make a card with mulberry scraps. Obviously I'm kidding, lol. :-D
Old 07-18-2009, 07:54 AM   #51  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by KathiRView Post
I also don't understand rub-ons, though of course I have them. I'd rather buy the stamp that I can use repeatedly.

Dating myself perhaps, but rub-ons are just fancy transfer type or tape that we used to use on mechanicals in publishing 500 years ago when dinosaurs roamed. Guess what? After x amount of time, they rubbed or peeled off the mechanical.
I'll be dated right along with you! Yep... I used the transfer type when I did keylining way back when ... of course -- I was quite young then LOL!

I think the quality of rub-ons may be a little better now, but I completely agree ~ I'd rather have a stamp

Just started reading this fun thread -- but I can't have too much to contribute as I am a newcomer (2-1/2 years or so). Although I must have seen scrapbooks somewhere because I have vivid recollections of some the past trends mentioned.

And are stickers completely "out" yet?? The LSS in town here has mostly single paper sheets and stickers -- thousands and thousands of stickers. I keep waiting for them to go out and maybe he will get something more current.

Back to catching up ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-18-2009, 07:59 AM   #52  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by mnfroggieView Post
Funny, I was just thinking about making a card with torn edges. Oh well, I have never been in style. When the rest of the cardmakers changed frm eyelets to brads, I bought all the eyelets really cheap!
I may be wrong but I don't think the comments were about torn edges - but the tools for making them... sort of like, tearing should look natural so using the tool defeats the purpose. I think torn edges are still really popular and I see it all the time ~ 'specially if you like vintage!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-18-2009, 08:01 AM   #53  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by debzi333View Post
LOL!! but your card is really gorgeous!! That's what I meant about no offense about those that still use mulberry paper!!
I agree -- that card is GORGEOUS!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-18-2009, 08:06 AM   #54  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Quote:

Originally Posted by buggainokView Post
This may still BE a trend. I don't keep up too well, I'm afraid. Anyhow, I have always thought torn edges on paper are kind of silly. And the rulers that you could buy to make the tears look "different." This was very popular when I started papercrafting and scrapbooking a few years ago.
I noticed a TON of tearing in the brand new SU! catty. I was a little surprised to see so much of it. I like the look, I just forget to ever do it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-18-2009, 08:16 AM   #55  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I must be weird. I still like and use my slide mounts except for some orange and green plastic ones that came in a kit. Those are just wrong. I also like using my tearing ruler because I'm a Virgo and like having straighter torn edges. And I still use eyelets every now and the. There's nothing like taking a hammer and pounding those things to relieve a little tension. Though I don't know why I needed every color in the rainbow or the all the shaped ones, especially the animal ones that look like they were gut shot.

However, you all reminded me of Twistel, crepey paper rolls, Magic Mesh (which is now sticky on both sides), and all the patterned paper that I bought in multiples (like four sheets per style/color) because I was afraid I'd run out.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-18-2009, 08:24 AM   #56  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by laredostamper
Cropping photos with templates - diamond, heart -bleecch! White backgrounds. Bad doodling.

Yes that was mine too, cutting photos into all sorts of shapes. I thought I was so smart when I cut my July 4th pics into star shapes. Oringally posted by Hoosiermama

Yes!! me too!! Hence the redo!! Hopefully my scrapbooking has evolved into a more classic style, able to stand up to scrutiny in a couple of years!

jennik
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-18-2009, 08:27 AM   #57  
Hardware Hotshot

What is fun fur??? Did I miss that one, lol.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-18-2009, 08:32 AM   #58  

Quote:

I must be weird. I still like and use my slide mounts except for some orange and green plastic ones that came in a kit. Those are just wrong. I also like using my tearing ruler because I'm a Virgo and like having straighter torn edges. And I still use eyelets every now and the. There's nothing like taking a hammer and pounding those things to relieve a little tension. Though I don't know why I needed every color in the rainbow or the all the shaped ones, especially the animal ones that look like they were gut shot.

However, you all reminded me of Twistel, crepey paper rolls, Magic Mesh (which is now sticky on both sides), and all the patterned paper that I bought in multiples (like four sheets per style/color) because I was afraid I'd run out.
ROFL!!! I am wondering what that fur stuff is too!!!? Anyone have any examples they're willing to share! We won't laugh! out loud....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-18-2009, 09:46 AM   #59  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tracy-StamperView Post
What is fun fur??? Did I miss that one, lol.
http://cdn.dickblick.com/items/652/0...6510-3ww-l.jpg
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-18-2009, 10:37 AM   #60  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by krystie leeView Post

Ohhhhhh - well I actually have tons of the stuff. I had just forgotten what it was called. I still horde this, but not for cards - I sew art quilts. It's give beautiful effects when doing landscape quilting. So, I love it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-18-2009, 10:44 AM   #61  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

ROFL, you must have been evesdropping in my house. My husband does two layouts a year for his hunting trips and he found some animal eyelets in my stash and used them this year because as he put it "they already look like they have been shot". Of course it's true and I'm glad the eyelets finally got used.
I am also a Virgo and admit to tearing only when I use the ruler, I am sending your post to all my friends who laugh at me for not being able to just tear the paper for my creations.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-18-2009, 10:56 AM   #62  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

LOL! This cracked me up! I'm picturing them right now..silly holes in the middle..ha!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-18-2009, 11:02 AM   #63  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

...And I still use my eyelets every now and the. There's nothing like taking a hammer and pounding those things to relieve a little tension. Though I don't know why I needed every color in the rainbow or the all the shaped ones, especially the animal ones that look like they were gut shot.

...and all the patterned paper that I bought in multiples (like four sheets per style/color) because I was afraid I'd run out.
oh lordy, this is me (and I've only been a hardcore paper crafter for like a year and a half!! :eek: ). I have enough crappy DSP & eyelets to sink a small ship.

Ribbon better not go out of style (EVER!) or I'm up the creek. :mrgreen:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-18-2009, 11:07 AM   #64  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by tiffguamView Post
THIS should make for a good laugh! Okay, so I loved the thread about trends, which ones you like, which ones you don't like, trends you see in the future...

Now, I'd like to know what Past Trends you find silly now! Crank open those old scrapbooks and take out those old cards! I want some confessions!!!

Here are mine:
1. Those sticker letters with the dots at the ends...I can't explain them very well, but they took up a lot of space on my creations about 8 years ago! LOL!

2. Buying that darn quickutz....

3. Gluesticks....oh the days of goopy gooey lumpy creations that never quite held! YAY! for the ATG gun!!!!

4. STICKERS....for everything. Before I had stamps I had too many stickers!
Colored wire (the lightweight stuff or stuff made from those dang wire jigs) *gag*

Dew Drops (on cards; cool, but, just too "lumpy" for me to use on a card)

And, I'm with Krystie on those wretched "hairy" Fun Fibers ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-18-2009, 11:10 AM   #65  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I still like my deco scissors, tho!!!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-18-2009, 11:12 AM   #66  
Mad Swapper

Ahhh, come on!!! My Grands love the animal eyelets!!! LOL

I still like to use a little bit of mulberry for background effect.......hmmmm, don't ask what background. Oh I remember - for the animal eyelets - like a pretend jungle or something like that.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-18-2009, 11:16 AM   #67  

Quote:

Originally Posted by missyterryView Post
Ahhh, come on!!! My Grands love the animal eyelets!!! LOL

I still like to use a little bit of mulberry for background effect.......hmmmm, don't ask what background. Oh I remember - for the animal eyelets - like a pretend jungle or something like that.
ROFL!!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-18-2009, 11:43 AM   #68  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by krystie leeView Post
oh my gosh, that stuff is wild looking!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-18-2009, 12:16 PM   #69  
Kookie Creator

You know, I love my tearing ruler! I can't tear remotly straight to save my life! Every time I ter a paper on purpose it always goes off in som direction I didn't want. I've even almost torn through stamped images I'm trying to tear around. IMO that ruler can save you time and effort if you are that picky about how you tear. Of course, I too am a Virgo... :rolleyes:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-18-2009, 01:28 PM   #70  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

OMG.......ROTFLMAO....pant,pant.....hahahahahah... ....lol!

I always thought that same exact thing and I wondered where the shotgun brad was:mrgreen:

Tammy:cool:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-18-2009, 01:41 PM   #71  
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:

Originally Posted by tchkView Post
It's still a trend, but I find cards that cannot be mailed (due to many layers, 3 dimensional embellishments, etc) to be silly.

I know that the ones people make are gorgeous to look at and show incredible investments of time and also money in supplies, but a card that cannot be mailed just seems over the top to me. It's a card!

Now, other paper crafting that is not a card, but shows off the maker's skills and talents I DO love. Etha sent me this gorgeous banner for my birthday and it now hangs in my dining room just above the whitework sampler she gave me years ago. So, I am SO TOTALLY not against multiple layers and magnificent creations- I just think putting so much into a card that it is un-mailable is silly.

JMHO

Hee, hee! I use my 3-D cards (the ones with buttons and such) to send with packages (so they are in a box) or to give to people face-to-face. That way, I get to use them on some stuff, while being nice and responsible with flat cards for mailing. I love having my cake and eating it, too!

To the OP, for me, it's stickers and funky fibers. I remember when Mrs. Grossman's stickers were all the rage, and I bought scads of them. Every card I made with them looked so bad, though, and I eventually gave them all to a church preschool. The fibers, in the hands of people who know what to do with them, can be beautiful. In my hands, however, they looked positively silly.

Fun thread! I'm going to go back and read the rest of it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-18-2009, 01:47 PM   #72  
Polyshrink Goddess

I'm primarily a scrapbooker -- An old trend that is definitly out is cropping photos in ovals circles ect
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-18-2009, 02:08 PM   #73  
Watercolor Wizard

Yep, eyelets. I have hundreds of those things and haven't used one in the last three years, at least. Anyone want some?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-18-2009, 03:40 PM   #74  
Matboard Maniac

This is so me!!! I would not use the paper if I did not have another piece. All of you are right I had piles of that ugly patterned paper. Lucky for me my neice likes my leftovers. Recently, she got bags of stickers. I tell you some of my pages from the 90's look like a sticker machine threw up on the pages. I used to buy 3 or 4 of each kind just like the paper.
This is a really fun thread!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-18-2009, 03:52 PM   #75  
Matboard Maniac

I really need to redo my first scrapbook from 12 years ago...for my daughter's first birthday, I cut around her little head and arms in the photo (like a paper doll!),glued it into the scrapbook, and then put a birthday hat sticker on her head! I put stickers on patterned paper, journaled in shapes (like a spiral or a heart) and I know I loved it at the time!

For cards, I have metal-rimmed tags that I never use, and jars of prima flowers that just sit on a shelf and look pretty. I like the primas, but I went a little nuts and will never use them all!

Stephanie A
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-18-2009, 05:31 PM   #76  
Die Cut Diva

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I still like eyelets but in moderation! I saw the cutest card in Paper Craft magazine that shows a high-top converse tennis shoe using eyelets just as the high tops do! It was so cute, so I absolutely have to make one for my niece who loves to wear high tops--colorful ones to high school!!
I have fun fur too stored way back in a deep drawer just hoping to be used again one day!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-18-2009, 05:40 PM   #77  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

I still like eyelets. I prefer them with ribbon tied through, like on the top of a tag.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-18-2009, 07:05 PM   #78  
Watercolor Wizard

Fibers for sure--I don't think I ever made a cute card with them. They looked so fuzzy and fun in the package! :mrgreen:

And decorative scissors...what was I thinking?! I can barely cut as it is; I really didn't need to try to cut borders in a straight line.

I design for Wee Memories Scrappy Saturday Challenge
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-18-2009, 07:07 PM   #79  
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:

Originally Posted by hfxchelleView Post
oh lordy, this is me (and I've only been a hardcore paper crafter for like a year and a half!! :eek: ). I have enough crappy DSP & eyelets to sink a small ship.

Ribbon better not go out of style (EVER!) or I'm up the creek. :mrgreen:
:mrgreen:

I design for Wee Memories Scrappy Saturday Challenge
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-18-2009, 07:28 PM   #80  
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by MaudhuitView Post
I'm with you on stickers...I just don't "get" them. Don't shoot me, but the Cricut for card-making. How on earth do you use it on cards? Also, tearing edge rulers. These seem kind of redundant to me. Decorative scissors used to cut mats for your photos -- that's a trend I'm glad has gone by the wayside!
That's funny because I use the Cricut all the time now for cards and when I first got it I thought the same thing. I actually said I would never use it on cards. I actually mix the stamps with my Cricut now and it is awesome!!

Hmmmm. Silly trends?? LOTS OF THEM!!! LOL! Most of the ones I used to teach at my SU workshops that are not practical but oh so fun!

My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes