Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 07-26-2005, 09:36 AM   #1  
Matboard Maniac

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Personality traits of a successful demo

What do you think it takes to be successful demo? Hobby or career demos alike.

Is it boldness? Being an extrovert? Having a million rich friends? Bravery? Willingness to step out of the personal comfort zone?

I've been really curious about this question for about two years now. I've been so wishy-washy about becoming one. I'm petrified of the quota.
My demo is an amazingly inspiring person and so very outgoing.

I think its all about being outgoing and daring.
What are your thoughts?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-26-2005, 09:47 AM   #2  
Mad Swapper

hmmmmmm........

I would say you must love stamping and sharing that love of stamping with others...it's that simple!
The rest will come as you need it.
SCS member #549
My Gallery
"Let your little light shine...."
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-26-2005, 10:20 AM   #3  
Embossing Fanatic

Default What does it take?

I have to agree, you need to have a love of stamping and want to share that love with others. You need to want to meet new people, that is also a trait to have. If you like meeting new people it comes a little easier. The quota will take care of itself. I have been a demo for 6 years and some quarters just make the minimum. When I first started I thought about making it a career but it has turned into just a hobby, because of time and family obligations. But anyone can do the minimum if they have just a small base of customers.

Call you favorite Demo and ask her how she got started I'm sure you will find that at some point she was not sure how to proceed. (I think everyone is at the point at least once.)

Happy Stamping in Michigan (I wish - I am at work right now reading this site instead of home stamping.)

Have a wonderful blessed day.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-26-2005, 10:42 AM   #4  
Forum Fanatic

I'm an introvert, not outgoing or daring at all. I became a demo b/c I loved stamping and especially SU and it's products. I enjoyed doing it so much that I wanted to share it so others could have fun too. My first couple of w/s's I was TERRIFIED - I am not a good public speaker and I get nervous REALLY easily. Well, I kept working at it and I enjoy doing w/s's, even though I'm still a little nervous at the beginning but it lasts for like a minute.

I say if you've been thinking about signing up for this long you should take the plunge and DO IT! ;) It takes all kinds of ppl to make this world and it takes just as many kinds to be a SU demo!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-26-2005, 10:55 AM   #5  
Die Cut Diva

Passion...

My first demo actually turned me onto SU. I thought, "No way would I enjoy stamping..." WRONG! I tease her now that she started my addiction and that SU is my crack. Oh well...there are worse things to be addicted to! Then she moved...

My second demo (first demo's downline) taught me that earth elements were not to be feared. She also taught me to love pearl ex and polished stone. I'm also not afraid of the heat gun now! She was very artistic and added an elegance to my stamping, more "art" than I'd previously done. Then she moved...

My third demo (second demo's downline) is amazing in her own right. She is increadibly giving and always quick to offer help and advice. She lets me hijack stamps for projects, isn't stingy about ribbon, and shares SU info and ideas with me! Her stamping style is very close to mine. We get excited about the same things. I'm proud to be her best customer, and maybe when I move...I'll be her downline!

But the thing that makes all of these very talented ladies awesome is passion. They love what they do and it's infectious to watch them work! Just ask my checkbook!

Alison

Raising children is like being pecked to death by a chicken.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-26-2005, 10:55 AM   #6  
Polyshrink Goddess

One word: enthusiasm!

That will take any demo far...whether it be hobby or career oriented.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-26-2005, 11:07 AM   #7  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with what others have said - enthusiasm, love of stamping and the rest takes care of itself.

Seriously, don't be afraid of the minimums! If it doesn't work out there is no penalty for dropping. No one comes to repossess your stamps! And your upline may even buy your supplies back from you (the forms, etc. that come in the starter kit.)

Best of luck to you!
Julie
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-26-2005, 11:46 AM   #8  
Mad Swapper

So, Roberta, when are you signing up? Are you going to take advantage of the free set of a color family of ink pads before Aug. 30?

Make your demo's day. Go for it!
I looked in your gallery. Great stuff!
SCS member #549
My Gallery
"Let your little light shine...."
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-26-2005, 12:15 PM   #9  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by kathyj30
So, Roberta, when are you signing up? Are you going to take advantage of the free set of a color family of ink pads before Aug. 30?

Make your demo's day. Go for it!
I looked in your gallery. Great stuff!
Thank you for the compliment. I've DEFINATELY got the passion part down. I love stamping, its pretty much all I can think about.
My demo, who would be my upline called me this afternoon. She was so excited and she was talking faster than usual, she said she had lots of ideas and she is going to share things she had learned at convention at a meeting for demo friends of hers on Friday night. She knows money is really tight right now (DH quit his job) and she offered to pay for the start up kit for me and I would just pay her back as I can. She is so sweet. So I'm thinkin this Friday will be the day I sign up. But I have to run it by DH first. I will let you know!

What's funny is that I had never thought of passion and enthusiasm as an answer? It never even entered my brain. Great answers!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-26-2005, 02:58 PM   #10  
Hardware Hotshot

I think the key to being successful is just willingness to get out here and talk about what you love....getting on the phone and asking for those workshops! Also a good trait to have is persistance...remember, if you don't tell someone about SU then you are really dening them the same joy you have when stampin!

Don't be afraid to hear a "No". That is the worst thing anyone can say, and every "no" brings you closer to a "yes!".

Good Luck! Get those free ink pads, sign up today!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-26-2005, 03:29 PM   #11  
Polyshrink Goddess

Along with the enthusiasm and passion, you need to love the products you sell! Your customers will know if you truly love them, or just putting on the face to sell them.

Suz
CTMH Director
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-26-2005, 04:12 PM   #12  
Die Cut Diva

Smile

You just have to love stamping and believe in your products. I am not an outgoing person, but I love what I do and want to share the excitement with others. Good luck.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-26-2005, 08:51 PM   #13  
Mad Swapper

This may seem like it shouldn't have to be said but...

1. Get orders out promptly and if they are taking a long time for some reason let your customer know.

2. Respond to customer inquiries/orders promptly. I realize we all have other things in our life besides SU but do realize your customers are depending on you as their link to SU.

3. If you give out an e-mail as a point of contact please check it and use it!!

4. If you're going to be unavailable for some period of time please let your customers know, if at all possible.

(Sorry, I'm having a few issues right now!!:( )
Reply With Quote Likes