Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 12-02-2009, 09:40 AM   #1  
Embossing Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Photo Editing Program?

I am thinking about getting my husband a photo editing program for our PC. We have only used the one that came with it. Does anybody have any suggestions or preferences? Which one would be the best basic one to have after the one already on the computer? Thanks.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-02-2009, 10:07 AM   #2  
Pearl-ExPert

I have both Photoshop Elements and the more advanced CS3 (and a TONNE of $$) and I like them both. Elements is great for beginners and advanced users because you can edit in basic mode and full edit mode as you get to know the program more. It also comes with great organizing software too.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-02-2009, 11:17 AM   #3  
Stampin' Fool

I would say try out Photoshop Elements, its a lot less expensive than the full CS and you will have alot of the same features. I also like to use Picasa, which is also free, but limited in features. Good luck!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-02-2009, 11:43 AM   #4  
Matboard Maniac

Default Photo Editing Program

Photoshop has a very steep learning curve. I have it because I used it on my job but I don't know how to use everything.
I would try something simpler first.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-02-2009, 11:50 AM   #5  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by jazzytobiView Post
I have both Photoshop Elements and the more advanced CS3 (and a TONNE of $$) and I like them both. Elements is great for beginners and advanced users because you can edit in basic mode and full edit mode as you get to know the program more. It also comes with great organizing software too.
I have both these, too, and must agree.

I recently got Photoshop Elements v. 6 for Mac, but find I like v. 3 mo'h bettah. I may uninstall it and just stick with v.3

I only do the most basic photo editing, however--I don't know any cool photo tricks! LOL!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-02-2009, 01:00 PM   #6  
Matboard Maniac

I use both PhotoShop and PhotoImpact. They are both great tools.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-02-2009, 01:00 PM   #7  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,087 Likes on 832 Posts

I use GIMP which is free to download (although someone mentioned they were asked for a payment when they tried, it is most definitely free - at the top of this page there is a link that says Gimp with installer for Windows 2000 and above.. http://www.gimp.org/downloads/
There's a plug-in which will handle RAW files.
It's similar to PhotoShop in a lot of the options it offers. DH did a course in PhotoShop for work, but uses GIMP at home.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-02-2009, 02:16 PM   #8  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cook22View Post
I use GIMP which is free to download (although someone mentioned they were asked for a payment when they tried, it is most definitely free - at the top of this page there is a link that says Gimp with installer for Windows 2000 and above.. http://www.gimp.org/downloads/
There's a plug-in which will handle RAW files.
It's similar to PhotoShop in a lot of the options it offers. DH did a course in PhotoShop for work, but uses GIMP at home.
I use GIMP also. It was free and I don't remember being asked for a donation when I downloaded it. There is a learning curve but I searched to find some tutorials for basic photo editing and looked at those. I later learned some more advanced stuff. I also do some real basic stuff using Picassa.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-02-2009, 02:24 PM   #9  
Pearl-ExPert

Photoshop elements looks really nice, but my sister and I have been using Lightroom for the past year, and it works GREAT for us!!! (from what I understand, it's a little (maybe a lot!!!) cheaper than PS, too) The main difference between LR and PS is that LR only edits color, light, etc. But if that's all you'd be using it for, it would be great. It is incredibly user-friendly (another big difference from PS!!), and the pictures look great once you're done with them. I have ben very pleased with LR. But whatever you choose, I'm sure your husband will be pleased Hope you find exactly what you're looking for!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-02-2009, 02:44 PM   #10  
Mad Swapper

Well, I guess I'm in the minority here but, I prefer Paint Shop Pro. I have version 11 and I've been using it now for a couple of years at least to crop and enhance my photos. They have all kinds of workshops and online advice for both photoshop AND paint shop pro. You can even download a free trial version to see if you would like it first.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-03-2009, 05:57 AM   #11  
Die Cut Diva

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by scrubbybubblesView Post
Well, I guess I'm in the minority here but, I prefer Paint Shop Pro. I have version 11 and I've been using it now for a couple of years at least to crop and enhance my photos. They have all kinds of workshops and online advice for both photoshop AND paint shop pro. You can even download a free trial version to see if you would like it first.
I love using PaintShop Pro as well. I started with version 6 and now use Version X. It has a lot of functionality (I used it for years to design digital scrapbook kits) and is very user friendly (in my opinion, but then again I'm a computer geek). I also use PSE, PSCS3, Gimp, PaintNet, but PaintShop Pro is my go to program.
Reply With Quote Likes