Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 08-19-2013, 05:06 PM   #41  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 5,927 Likes on 2,193 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by RiverIsisView Post
I really should tidy up my boards....
I went in and unfollowed some boards. I hope I didn't offend anyone but when I first signed up I was following people instead of just choosing a particular board of theirs I liked. Do people know if I choose to unfollow? I hope not to offend!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-19-2013, 05:13 PM   #42  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't think so. I don't think they even know if you block them etc.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-19-2013, 05:43 PM   #43  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Stamp Like You Mean It

Oh...first was my SCS addiction and now this! I love Pinterest, and the recipes, card ideas, sewing...it is a wonderful endless bunny trail of inspiration! I never pin a link unless I check it first, to make certain it is a good one. At times the video links become invalid, becuase of a copyright infringement, but that is rare.

Is anyone else having difficulties pinning from SCS right now? I am trying to pin an adorable card, and was getting a "oops, something went wrong on our end" from Pinterest. So, it remains in my Favs, which is a fun place to look, but I cannot organize that! Love both places.
"The Lord will guide you always; He will satisfy your needs in a sun scorched land and strengthen your frame. You will be like a well-watered garden." Isaiah 58:11
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-19-2013, 09:17 PM   #44  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blooms in a BoxView Post
Is anyone else having difficulties pinning from SCS right now? I am trying to pin an adorable card, and was getting a "oops, something went wrong on our end" from Pinterest.
Just a temporary glitch. Just try a little later and your pin will probably go through. I have never been able to not pin something.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-20-2013, 08:58 AM   #45  
Gabfest Goddess

As others have said, Pinterest can be addictive, but also a good way to organize card ideas, or find material on any other interests you have. And, as a couple people have said, it can be irritating when someone links to a blog in general, instead of the post containing the project they are pinning.

Another peeve of mine is people who have boards with thousands of pins. I found my way to one card board last week that had something like 26,000 pins. And this was just one of the person's boards! There's no way anyone -- including the original pinner -- can scroll through all of those, which is where breaking down some boards by subject/occasion/stamp set or company is a good idea. Or even starting a second board when you get to a certain number.

A few months ago, Pinterest added a new feature that let's you know if you have already pinned something, but -- you will find boards created prior to that that have duplicates...sometimes several duplicates of one image. Before that function was installed, I would skim through my own boards every once in a while and remove any duplicates. Even now, sometimes I will see something I really like and not remember if I've pinned it before, so their new "dup" function is really nice.

Also, If I am pinning something from the gallery here at SCS, I try to note the challenge (if it is not already indicated in photo title), or C&P the stamp/paper/ink/ info to make it easier for both me and others to know what was used at a glance. I also remove any personal comments. Like Sue said in post #18, it cracks me up when people repin something with my personal comment that has no relevance to their own life.

Heather
Heather L (hllester) on Pinterest

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-20-2013, 09:24 AM   #46  
Gabfest Goddess

Oh, and another good reason for occasionally skimming your own boards: If you are like me, you will occasionally find that you have pinned something to the wrong board, say a Christmas card to a travel board, or a scrapbook sketch to a food board. It only takes a few seconds to move the pin where it belongs. ;-)

H.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-20-2013, 11:40 AM   #47  
Polyshrink Goddess

subbing
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-20-2013, 11:56 AM   #48  
Proud Fan Club Member

How do I create a new board and then move things from another board to that new board???
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-20-2013, 12:07 PM   #49  
Stampin' Fool

I'm a pretty private person, and don't join the social media spots, so when I heard about Pinterest, I just visit various spots for info on Copics, Cricut, card ideas, etc. I have found more than enough info to Bookmark that it's overwhelming! And of course, one leads to another..... It can be very time consuming, and I am trying to get other things accomplished, so it would be one more thing to "eat up" my time. However it is a feast for the eyes with color!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-20-2013, 12:18 PM   #50  
Stazon Splitcoast

Location: Mascoutah, Illinois, Living In My Own Home Finally!!-Hibiscus from my backyard in Hawaii
Received 91 Likes on 75 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by muscratView Post
How do I create a new board and then move things from another board to that new board???
Click on grey square that says create new board and name it.

To move to new board, click on a board. Click on pen on upper right hand corner. Click on edit, scroll to correct board you want, click/enter=done :p
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-20-2013, 12:22 PM   #51  
Stazon Splitcoast

Location: Mascoutah, Illinois, Living In My Own Home Finally!!-Hibiscus from my backyard in Hawaii
Received 91 Likes on 75 Posts

Oh, by the way.

When my hubby was traveling with the military on assignments , I burnt more dinners and boiled out water from pasta more times than I would like to admit just from chatting here on SCS then cruising on Pintrest.

Just saying ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-20-2013, 12:56 PM   #52  
Proud Fan Club Member

Thanks Leslie. I did a little cleaning up now and moved cards into categories (Birthday, Sympathy, Thanks, etc)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-20-2013, 04:16 PM   #53  
Gallery Gazer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by muscratView Post
I went in and unfollowed some boards. I hope I didn't offend anyone but when I first signed up I was following people instead of just choosing a particular board of theirs I liked. Do people know if I choose to unfollow? I hope not to offend!
Nope, no one knows you get notifications for when someone follows you or one of your boards but not when you are 'unfollowed'.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-20-2013, 04:27 PM   #54  
Proud Fan Club Member

Quote:

Originally Posted by cardmaker2View Post
Nope, no one knows you get notifications for when someone follows you or one of your boards but not when you are 'unfollowed'.
That's good to know. I didn't want to hurt anyone's feelings but I was following people rather than just picking the boards I wanted so I unfollowed some now. I also cleaned up my boards a little. I wish people wouldn't pin cards that I can't get to, though. Like some are Stampin Up demos only so I can't go to the original source for any info....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-20-2013, 05:37 PM   #55  
Stampin' Fool

Okay, I've been browsing around Pinterest and still not sure how it all works but how in heck do you sign out of Pinterest? I have clicked on everything available but find no place to sign out. Thanks to all you have given their input concerning Pinterest
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-20-2013, 06:09 PM   #56  
Proud Fan Club Member

Quote:

Originally Posted by galeView Post
If you move items from one board to another, it doesn't mess up pins that have been repinned by others?
I don't think so. I even deleted some I had pinned.

As far as signing out you click on hour name and there's a drop down box and you choose log out. I don't log out...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-30-2013, 07:16 AM   #57  
Matboard Maniac

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Lots of great info here. I'm a Pinterest addict, I confess, but I have plenty of pins that I probably need to go back and clean up from when I started. I thought it was confusing at first, and like someone said earlier, didn't like seeing the same pins over and over, but once you start following others boards, that isn't so much of a problem. I've gotten so many ideas for my stamping, quilting, recipes, etc., that I rarely do a Google search for anything craft or food related anymore.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-30-2013, 07:22 AM   #58  
SCS Community Manager Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 1,554 Likes on 669 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to UnderstandBlue

Quote:

Originally Posted by galeView Post
If you move items from one board to another, it doesn't mess up pins that have been repinned by others?
No. The only thing that will break a pin is if the source link is removed. Then they will get an error when they click on it. Moving it from board to board has no effect on users.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-30-2013, 12:49 PM   #59  
Die Cut Diva

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Yes, I've been re-organising boards lately. Like the previous poster, I can't believe some people have boards with thousands upon thousands on pins on.I've been splitting into themes( tags,male, C&S, etc) and also stamp manufacturers. I'm sure I'll find some reason to subdivide again, lol.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-30-2013, 06:06 PM   #60  
Stazon Splitcoast

Glad to know I'm not the only one with boards that need organizing! LOL!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-30-2013, 07:18 PM   #61  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by shazsilverwolfView Post
Yes, I've been re-organising boards lately. Like the previous poster, I can't believe some people have boards with thousands upon thousands on pins on.I've been splitting into themes( tags,male, C&S, etc) and also stamp manufacturers. I'm sure I'll find some reason to subdivide again, lol.
The problem is when you decide to subdivide, people that follow your original board (say "Cards") won't know you've moved pins or created additional boards if they only follow that one board. IF they follow ALL your boards, then they'll see it, but not otherwise.

So I keep all my papercrafting together, rather than broken out by type or holiday, so more can see it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-31-2013, 04:41 AM   #62  

Quote:

Originally Posted by MakalahView Post
The problem is when you decide to subdivide, people that follow your original board (say "Cards") won't know you've moved pins or created additional boards if they only follow that one board. IF they follow ALL your boards, then they'll see it, but not otherwise.

So I keep all my papercrafting together, rather than broken out by type or holiday, so more can see it.

But if they were following you when you pinned it, they already saw it in their feed. If they didn't repin it, it's long gone in the stream anyway. Pinterest is like FB - it's a river. If you're not there, you don't see anything that's passing by. If you are there, and you see it, the only way to come back to it is to repin it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-31-2013, 08:54 AM   #63  
Die Cut Diva

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

I figure a lot of people browse either by following a link from a card they like, or by doing a search for a specific brand/theme.Often its just inspiration in the image, a colour scheme or layout will catch my eye. I may not have the specific stamps, but will see how I can use something I have to follow the style. And to be honest, the boards are really compiled for me- inspiration, reminders, interesting things.It's nice to share, but I'm not overly worried if it means others don't see pins to new boards-at least my boards are under control for me. 300 ish images seems sensible to browse through- 2000+, or even as I've seen 20,000+ on one board - just seems to defeat the intention- I might just as well browse the whole internet, lol.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-06-2013, 02:06 PM   #64  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by shazsilverwolfView Post
Pinterest is awesome. I have boards of my own work, and boards of the various cards/tags etc that I find inspiring.
So when you pin your own work, is it something you've uploaded here? Do you link to your blog posts? I've not wanted to get too caught up in it all as I seem to spend plenty of time already with posting here and now with a blog, but as I consider the possibility of some day perhaps making it onto a design team, I'm wondering if it is important to start a pinterest board of my own stuff?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-06-2013, 07:25 PM   #65  
Gallery Gazer

For myself, I have a board of my own cards (link in my signature...) I stopped posting to my gallery here because it was time consuming, I couldn't figure out how to use my phone to do it and it is so easy on Pinterest. I am intrigued with the changes to the uploading process here.

I don't blog so I don't have that added place to worry about. I have to say that it is very rewarding and validating when people pin my cards to their boards
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-07-2013, 11:17 AM   #66  
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,074 Likes on 824 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by mamaxsixView Post
So when you pin your own work, is it something you've uploaded here? Do you link to your blog posts? I've not wanted to get too caught up in it all as I seem to spend plenty of time already with posting here and now with a blog, but as I consider the possibility of some day perhaps making it onto a design team, I'm wondering if it is important to start a pinterest board of my own stuff?
Surely you could just direct them to your gallery here and your blog, Gail? Seems to me that's an equally complete record. But then, I still don't use Pinterest: I do see the attraction, but no way do I have the time, and I find more than enough inspiration here to fill the time I do have .
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-07-2013, 05:53 PM   #67  
Stazon Splitcoast

I'm the same way Sabrina...I have plenty of inspiration and challenge right here. I've only applied for one design team and they asked for fb, pinterest, blog and any online galleries. I guess they were covering all bases, but it led me to wonder just what they expected. I'm also wondering if having my own pinterest board would lead to more interest in my blog then? I have low numbers of followers and views I wonder how much that affects an application.
Just thinking about things....DH is trying to get me to define my goals and put my time and energy into that instead of scattering into more venues that will just take up more time. It was a pretty painful conversation for me and has me examining my priorities, time on crafting vs online time, and goals for my stamping.
I'm so pinterest ignorant that I didn't realize people were posting their own things there.....I just thought people's boards were things they saw on fb, blogs, sites like this and other people's pinterest boards. My DD just shook her head in amazement at my lack of understanding.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-08-2013, 12:38 AM   #68  
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,074 Likes on 824 Posts

I did get the impression, when Pinterest first started and friends were trying to get me to join (and back then you had to either have a facebook or Twitter account, so I wasn't going there) people weren't so much pinning their own work. I think that aspect has developed as the whole thing grew and evolved. Most people I know who tell me about it still, and try to explain how cool it is are still selling it to me as a way of pinning ideas, like bookmarking made easy, and not as another online gallery.

As a slight non-Pinterest aside, I do wonder if it would be necessary to be on it when you're applying for a DT, or if it's like those real-life job ads that want you to be an all-singing all-dancing MBA and the job is just for a clerical position with a matching salary :rolleyes: .
I do think that if you have talent, you don't even absolutely have to have a blog. I can think of several people on design teams who don't have a blog and just post their DT submissions here. Obviously that depends on the design company being happy with that, but obviously some of them are. So SCS is seen as a good showcase .
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-09-2013, 07:04 PM   #69  
Gabfest Goddess

Gail: Like cardmaker2, I have a board of my own cards on Pinterest. I've uploaded cards to it direct from here, as well as from my computer. Also, as she has said, it is a bit rewarding when someone likes your card/photo/project enough to repin it. The only thing that irritates -- for me, at least -- is when someone removes all credit for the photo when repinning. Removing personal comments such as "really love this card" or "isn't this a neat project" is one thing, but I feel you should always credit the source of the pin whenever possible, not edit those details out.

Heather

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-09-2013, 07:45 PM   #70  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by mamaxsixView Post
I'm the same way Sabrina...I have plenty of inspiration and challenge right here. I've only applied for one design team and they asked for fb, pinterest, blog and any online galleries. I guess they were covering all bases, but it led me to wonder just what they expected. I'm also wondering if having my own pinterest board would lead to more interest in my blog then? I have low numbers of followers and views I wonder how much that affects an application.
TBF I think it has to affect DT choices no matter what they say because DT are a business and part of that is marketing which is what they do through DT members. The larger their audience the more likely they are to convert some of those views into money.

Yeah, I don't really have a big following and I'm pretty certain I wouldn't ever get on a DT but I have thought about these things... for example there is a blog for High Hopes stamps and they have a perfectly talented DT, however, they just don't seem to be getting the traffic for challenges at least. Their product is as good as any other stamp company from what I can tell. So they would benefit hugely from having a couple of DT members that have large audiences even if they aren't the most talented applicants.

When we make it less personal and understand the thought behind the use of a DT it makes sense. Well that is what I tell myself anyway! :lol:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-10-2013, 09:59 AM   #71  
Stazon Splitcoast

I understand the thinking behind it, but figure that you would get the increased traffic if you did end up on a design team because of being linked both from their site and from blog hops. I would hope that traffic here would count as well. You would be reaching people here that would not necessarily be exposed to their product or company blog.
I understand what you're saying Heather and have been thinking for a while that I need to get a watermark so that at least that info would be carried over even if the original link did not. I don't really care as much about the credit from a personal standpoint, but if the point of your pinterest board is to show that you have "a following" then it would be helpful to have the correct linkage there.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-11-2013, 05:03 AM   #72  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 98 Likes on 80 Posts

Subbing because Pinterest confuses me too!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-16-2013, 10:56 AM   #73  
Crimping Master

Received 39 Likes on 12 Posts

I've been trying to fix a Pinterest problem that started today. I am hopeful that someone here will be able to help me. My home feed is now FULL of things that Pinterest "thinks I might be interested in". I have tried looking at my settings and changing anything that might be causing the problem, requesting for Pinterest to show me less, clearing my computer cookies, making sure that I am not following any of these people, logging off and back on again, and even sent an e-mail to Pinterest asking for their help. Does anyone know how I can get rid of all of this annoying clutter from my home feed? I am very frustrated with this change and want to get rid of it asap. Thanks in advance for your advice.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-16-2013, 11:01 AM   #74  

Quote:

Originally Posted by annie*View Post
I've been trying to fix a Pinterest problem that started today. I am hopeful that someone here will be able to help me. My home feed is now FULL of things that Pinterest "thinks I might be interested in". I have tried looking at my settings and changing anything that might be causing the problem, requesting for Pinterest to show me less, clearing my computer cookies, making sure that I am not following any of these people, logging off and back on again, and even sent an e-mail to Pinterest asking for their help. Does anyone know how I can get rid of all of this annoying clutter from my home feed? I am very frustrated with this change and want to get rid of it asap. Thanks in advance for your advice.
Interesting - are they labeled "things you might be interested in?" Or how are they identified?

Are you just in the Pinterest view? Are you logged in?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-16-2013, 11:23 AM   #75  
Crimping Master

I am logged in. They show up on my home feed page just like all of the things that I have pinned or things that people I follow have pinned. Underneath the description and name of the person pinning the pin it says in a small box We thought you might like this and there is a small letter i in a circle. When you click the circle you get a pop up screen that says why am I seeing this and then a box that says your (fill in the blank) board shares pins with this board. You can then choose show me less like this. The problem is that there are literally 100 of these types of pins on my home feed page and even when I have chosen the show me less for a particular pin, it shows up again. It is so frustrating. I feel like it must be a setting that I can change, but am not able to find anything allowing me to make the change. Is this happening to anyone else? For me, it started today.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-16-2013, 11:28 AM   #76  

Quote:

I am logged in. They show up on my home feed page just like all of the things that I have pinned or things that people I follow have pinned. Underneath the description and name of the person pinning the pin it says in a small box We thought you might like this and there is a small letter i in a circle. When you click the circle you get a pop up screen that says why am I seeing this and then a box that says your (fill in the blank) board shares pins with this board. You can then choose show me less like this. The problem is that there are literally 100 of these types of pins on my home feed page and even when I have chosen the show me less for a particular pin, it shows up again. It is so frustrating. I feel like it must be a setting that I can change, but am not able to find anything allowing me to make the change. Is this happening to anyone else? For me, it started today.
Yikes! that sounds awful!

Have you unchecked the personalization setting in your settings?

https://en.help.pinterest.com/entries/25010303
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-16-2013, 11:32 AM   #77  
Crimping Master

I just checked my email and found this response from Pinterest;
I'm so sorry for the trouble! We're always trying out new things behind the scenes at Pinterest and it sounds like you're a part of something new we're testing out.

The pins you're seeing in your home feed are part of our Picked For You feature. We suggest pins you might like based on what you've pinned onto your own boards.

Unfortunately, I'm not able to remove these pins from your home feed. I understand your frustration, but hopefully these pins are similar to things you like and you can find more boards and pinners with content that interests you.

Your feedback is great and we really appreciate it! If you have any comments or suggestions on the feature, we'll be sure to keep them in mind as we build out new products.

Let me know if that answers your question or if you'd like more information.

Thanks,
Jana Community Specialist

I guess I am one of the unluck testees. I seriously hate this change. I am going to reply to the email and complain, but I think it is an "improvement" that I am stuck with. :(
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-16-2013, 01:36 PM   #78  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

OOOOH Ok that explains more. I replied to you on the other post you made about this. I do not have this......Yet!!! You must be the Guinea Pig LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-16-2013, 01:45 PM   #79  
Stampin' Fool

Received 42 Likes on 21 Posts

I noticed that for at least a week at the top of the screen it says so everyone will have our new look. Click here to get the new look. I wonder if what you are talking about is the new look. From the email you got I think it might be. I didn't click because usually I don't like new looks.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-16-2013, 02:20 PM   #80  
Crimping Master

Thanks for your replies! I just might have to try the daily emails!!
Reply With Quote Likes