Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 03-29-2005, 05:06 AM   #1  
Crimping Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Placing orders at stamp camp

This was mentioned briefly in another thread, but I didn't want to hijack it, it is something that I have been wondering about.

What is the purpose of Stamp Camp from a demo's perspective (I am a non-demo)? Do demos expect that the people who come to Stamp Camp place orders that night? I love my stamp camps. They are $10 and we do 3 make and take cards/projects. We hang out and chat or just zone out in the kid-free quiet (ahhhhhh...). We get to play with new gadgets and sets. Is it expected that I, as a customer, place an order at Stamp Camp? I have never, ever felt pressure to do this from my demo. I usually end up placing an order w/in a few days of it bc I know that she is putting in an order from people who do place orders at SC, but I have never felt like it is necessary. I feel like I have paid my $10 fo that night and that it that, but am I being a bad customer?

Just wondering if there is a Stamp Camp etiquette...

Amy
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-29-2005, 05:27 AM   #2  
Crimping Master

I have wondered this also, I am not a demo so i am not sure, I was a consultant for creative memories and I know that when I had a crop I was hoping to get some sales so I assume it is probably the same. I have never felt pressure from my demo to order though and I feel like I am a really good customer so I don't think it is a problem but I am also curious if the demos out there that do offer stamp camps are bothered when no order is placed, there is always stuff that I want but I can't always afford to place an order every month.

I now have a gallery!! www.splitcoaststampers.com/go/miss_missy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-29-2005, 05:33 AM   #4  
Glitter Queen

Gee, I have never attended a Stamp Camp at which I didn't place an order. I didn't feel pressured at all...I just came with some items I wanted to order, and then usually one or more of the projects caused me to add to the order. Hehe! :lol: You're not being a bad customer. You paid for the opportunity to attend the Stamp Camp, so you met your obligation. Have fun and relax!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-29-2005, 05:35 AM   #5  
Rubber Obsessor

I am a demonstrator and do not expect anyone to place an order. If they do it is great but as you said you have paid your fee. I think it gives customers the chance to use products before they buy them and if they like them I know at some point they will be ordering them even if it isnt that night. And like you I just love the chance to hang out and have a girls night with my customers.
Happy Stamping
Shonda
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-29-2005, 05:41 AM   #6  
Mad Swapper

I consider by stamp camps and scrap nights to be opportunities to share the fun of stamping and scrapping with customers and friends. In fact I was never a stamper, would never have even considered it until a friend invited me to a stamp camp and after going to a couple, I thought hey this is fun and the next thing you know I am a demo.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-29-2005, 05:47 AM   #7  
Matboard Maniac

Stamp Camp, or as I call it monthly class - I charge for the projects we do and that is all I am hoping for as a demonstrator. I do coordinate my personal order for that class weekend and usually offer free shipping to any orders placed at the class - Just a little thank you for coming to my house and paying for class.

I will usually explain any current offers or promotions that SU is having that current month and that is it. I never ask if anyone has an order, I do not ask anyone to hostess a party! It is just about the fun of making the projects and having them come back the next month with a friend! I will answer questions asked to me, and usually there are some regarding products and so on, but alot of times another person at the party will answer them!

I do get orders sometimes. And that is great, I'll write it up, But usually it is friends/customers coming to figure out how to use the items they already have!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-29-2005, 05:47 AM   #8  
Rubber Obsessor

Default Placing order

I am a demo for another company and we have SOS weekends (Scrap or Stamp) at least 4 times a year. We are planning to do more. I never pressure anyone to order anything. In fact I will demo some techniques with other stamps. The company that I demo for lets me do that. It is just a great weekend to get together and see what everyone is up to and to show off some new stuff. Most of my friends do order, but not always.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-29-2005, 05:57 AM   #9  
Insane Embellisher

As a demo, I see stamp camp as an opportunity to introduce new techniques and to give my customers a chance to use products they don't own (yet.) I waive the $10 fee with a $35 order, but I never expect an order. Going to stamp camp on a consistent basis influenced my decision to become a demo, so I see it as a recruiting tool, too.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-29-2005, 06:05 AM   #10  
Kar
Gabfest Goddess

I wouldn't expect people to order either if they paid the fee to "play". Myself and my upline are doing a Scrapbook Fair in May and decided that if they order they will get free shipping! That is no real pressure to order so not expecting much.
SCS member #735
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-29-2005, 06:08 AM   #11  
Stazon Splitcoast

I agree with everyone else. I put a lot of work and effort into organizing my stamp camps and find it well worth the effort. My camps are $15 for 4 or 5 projects. I give $10 off a purchase of $50 or more. I don't expect to have great sales and don't expect anyone to buy anything. I see it as an opportunity for my customers to play with tools and embellishments that they don't have. They may not buy a whole lot that night, but they add to their wishlists and get it eventually. I usually don't make any money at the camps, but my customers have a lot of fun and place bigger orders later. It also keeps their enthusiasm for stamping going.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-29-2005, 06:22 AM   #12  
Pearl-ExPert

I have Stamp Camps for many reasons...

1. To hang out with my friends and stamping buddies.
2. To show off new accessories or techniques
3. To encourage people to use the stamps that they have
4. To show off any specials Stampin' Up! is offering

I usually charge enough to cover my cost of supplies, but not enough for my time.

I don't feel that anyone HAS to order. That's why I charge a "materials" fee. I do encourage people to order...with a refund of all or part of the fee.

Many of my customers feel like they can't have their own workshop for one reason or another. Stamp camp, for them, gives them an opportunity to order without having a minimum to get the best deal on shipping or to take advantage of the specials...like the 50% off or SAB.

I'm sure your demo appreciates any sales she gets, but mostly enjoys your presence at Stamp Camp!
Heather, proud SCS member #132
Gallery
- Blog

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-29-2005, 08:32 AM   #13  
Stazon Splitcoast

I do not expect people to place orders at a stamp camp. I like it when they do.
I will give an added incentivce to people who do place orders at a stamp camp. (ex. extra entries in the door prize drawing).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-29-2005, 08:47 AM   #14  
Kookie Creator

Default ordering at stamp camps

I am a demonstrator also. I charge $15.00 for the class. We do 5 cards and 1 project. Plus I give out 2 door prizes. At the camps I don't expect my friends to order anything. If they do that's great. Usually if they see something that we used at the camp they go ahead and buy it. At the class I usually make cards out of what is happening with Stampin Up. Like when they had the Celebration special we made a card from each of the sets. This month it was the half price sets that I used. April will be for the Spring catalog. There is never pressure for them to purchase anything at my camps.
Reply With Quote Likes