Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 02-27-2005, 05:19 AM   #1  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Plaid Maker -- Got to have???

What's everybody's take on the Plaid Maker. I'm more of a scrapbooker than a card maker - So is the Plaid Maker a must have??

"She with the most scrapbook supplies wins"
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-27-2005, 05:32 AM   #2  
Inking Addict

I've been wondering the same thing myself.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-27-2005, 05:38 AM   #3  
Mad Swapper

Default Plaid Maker

I tried the plaid maker at a workshop once, and the results were great but I thought it was messy. I prefer using my old Perfect Plaid set.

Mary
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-27-2005, 06:09 AM   #4  
Polyshrink Goddess

I absolutely love the plaid maker. There are ways to not make it messy. I use it with cards all the time, but have used it for scrapbook pages. I love how you can make any color of plaids or stripes that you want. Just think about it! If your little cutie has on certain colors you can make a background to match those colors! To make it less messy, I put huge sheets of scrap paper on my island. I then use the sponge daubers for the different colors I need. This way, my hands do not get all inky. HTH!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-27-2005, 06:12 AM   #5  
Gabfest Goddess

I have been wondering this too - it has been on my wish list forever!!! Also, what size is the most popular to use? thanks for the topic!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-27-2005, 06:18 AM   #6  
Hardware Hotshot

I purchased the small one and hardly use it. I think it is time consuming and messy.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-27-2005, 06:21 AM   #7  
Crimping Master

I just got to see it demo'd yesterday at the SCS Colorado get together. I decided it was a must have! What I liked about it was that you could use the small background sets to make the plaid. That allows you match the plaid design to your overall card design (butterflies, dots, floral, leaf) etc.

We were making a wall paper look for a floral card. Here is how we used the template.

We used repositionable tape to keep the cs in place on the template.
We stamped with a pattern from Beyond the Basics set.
We then used the writing end of the marker to draw the lines that would complete the stripe.
We moved the card stock over slightly so the template openings were between the stripes we just created. We then brayered the next color. The result with a wall paper look: solid stripe, floral stripe, solid stripe.
Very cool! Of course if you were making plaid you would then do the horizontal step.

If you generally do plaid that has alternating colors, this tool would be tricky to use. I think you would need to have Colorbox Roltap sponge to be able to quicky change colors (as the sponges are easily remove). You would have to pre-ink multiple sponges to more easily get that look.

HTH
Annette
http://stamponthis.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-27-2005, 06:50 AM   #8  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hi laurie, I love the plaidmaker! small one is the one I have. I am going to demo it for a stamp camp at my house, small group for hands on is
good, it is messy! my happiness is not complete if I don't have ink somewhere on my hands!!! hth
sandra
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-27-2005, 07:11 AM   #9  
Mad Swapper

It is messy, but I think it is one of those techniques that is worth the mess! I've done it several different ways...I purchased 4 different brayers with the foam roller attachment. That way I can quickly ink up and use four different colors at a time if I want to. This works well, but it definitely is the messiest option. (Be sure to cover the corners of your cardstock with tape or sticky notes if you do it this way - where they peek out through the template - otherwise you'll get a funny inked blob on your corners!) Sponges or sponge daubers work also....less mess....more time.

I have not thought of just stamping across the template using a small background stamp as mentioned in one of the previous posts.....gonna have to try that!! :P I did see SOMEWHERE...maybe it was on here.....where the template was used to make what looked liked the ribbon with words on it. They inked across just one line of the template and then stamped or wrote words across the strip....nice look...and it can color coordinate exactly!

I just run the templates under the kitchen sink to rinse the ink off and dry them immediately with paper towels. And you can always where rubber gloves to keep the ink off of you hands, but you still have to be careful that you don't transfer some of the ink off the gloves to the paper in spots where you don't want it! :o
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-27-2005, 07:27 AM   #10  
Pearl-ExPert

I really like mine when I use it, I just don't use it all that often. I've been recently thinking of getting it out again, though. Masculine cards can be easier to make if you use a plaid in it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-27-2005, 07:59 AM   #11  
Pearl-ExPert

I absolutely love my plaid maker. I love the results you get with it and I love the fact that you can choose any colours that you want. Granted, it can be a bit messy... but that's part of the fun ;) I've only tried mine with sponges, but I'm planning to get the foam attachment for my brayer and give that a try.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-27-2005, 08:04 AM   #12  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Other options:

Cheap stripe stencils at JoAnn work great.
I have several Roltaps and they made great plaids.
You can simply wipe the side of a pad down glossy paper in a plaid design.
My favorite are 2 stamps from www.impressrubberstamps.com that are large stripes and double stripes.
Going down the side of a ruler with a marker adds in the tiny stripes.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-27-2005, 08:06 AM   #13  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I love the look. I have the small. Yes, it's messy, no matter how you try it.

I use gloves to protect my hands, foam brayer on the wider template, and glide my markers down the narrower as it's virtually impossible to brayer through such narrow lines with my bad arm*.

I hold the template under the tap to rinse it off and then lay it on a towel to dry.

*I suffer from tendonitis in my right (stamping) arm. If I'm going to take the time to make something plaid, I typically do several 12 x 12 sheets, in a variety of color combos, which can be cut apart later.

However, just doing one or two sheets can really aggravate my tendonitis to the point of rendering my arm useless . . . so, I don't do it often and I must rest frequently.
Reply With Quote Likes