Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 10-19-2005, 10:13 AM   #1  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please convince me that I NEED a Xyron

My MIL is pestering me about my Christmas Wish List. Well, I have always had my eye on a Xyron, but I have never been convinced that I "need" it. Please give me your advice (pros and cons) and which model is best. I am both an avid stamper and scrapper.

Thanks for your help.
Member #2888
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-19-2005, 10:18 AM   #2  
Matboard Maniac

i love all 3 of my xyrons. the little x sticker maker, the 510 (which is the one i use most often) and my 900 (i think that's the model - the one that fits a regular sheet of 8.5 x 11 paper). it is great for making ribbon, embellishments and vellum tacky without a lot of mess. if someone wants to buy you one, i say go for it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-19-2005, 10:33 AM   #3  
Matboard Maniac

Smile

I love mine. I also feel great that my children use it alot for school projects. I have no guilt about having this jewel in my collection. It would be a great Christmas gift
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-19-2005, 11:17 AM   #4  
Watercolor Wizard

I have 3 models of Xyron.... the 150 (commonly called the X cause it is shaped like an orange X), the 250 and the 500. I must say that my 250 gets the most work! I am constantly ordering refills for it. It is a bit over 2 inches wide.

If I had it to do all over again, I would only own the 250 model....just my 2 cents -
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-19-2005, 12:07 PM   #5  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yup! I agree. The X and the 250 are the best ones! I hardly ever use my 500 anymore. Too much waste. But the X gets tons of use! Perfect for ribbons and Quickutz shapes and letters!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-19-2005, 12:12 PM   #6  
Polyshrink Goddess

I have the Xyron 500 (never use it) and the Xyron 250 (use it often). The Xyron 250 is excellent for Punch Art. It is the best for getting adhesive on those tiny little punch pieces!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-19-2005, 12:26 PM   #7  
Pearl-ExPert

trust us, you *NEED* one of these!! you'll wonder how you ever lived without it. My vote is for the 250.... about $20 at michael's, used a 40% coupon to get mine.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-19-2005, 01:16 PM   #8  
Embossing Fanatic

I have the 150 and the 250. I use the 150 much more than the 250, but I can't imagine not having them!

Gretchen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-19-2005, 03:25 PM   #9  
Hardware Hotshot

Okay, it didn't take much convincing. I have always wanted one (if for no other reason than to say that I have one ;). Isn't that terrible.).

I was a bit concerned about waste. Are the refills terribly expensive. I have never really looked closely. Yes, I will definately make use of my Michael's 40% off coupons.
Member #2888
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-19-2005, 03:32 PM   #10  
Crimping Master

I have the big one for full sheet of paper, and mostly use it for laminating for things for my business and our squadron.

I do have a question for those of you with them though also. I have never used the adhesive for anything yet ... what do most of you use that for?

And ... have you every used the magnet cartridge, and what have you made with that?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-19-2005, 03:46 PM   #11  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by tiggerificandi
I have the big one for full sheet of paper, and mostly use it for laminating for things for my business and our squadron.

I do have a question for those of you with them though also. I have never used the adhesive for anything yet ... what do most of you use that for?

And ... have you every used the magnet cartridge, and what have you made with that?
I use the adhesive for adhering ribbon. it is so easy, and i have yet to find anything that works better. It sticks great too!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-19-2005, 04:39 PM   #12  
Polyshrink Goddess

I love mine (I am probably the only one that has the 1200) because I can laminate anything! Think of bookmarks for kids, tags etc etc. You definately need one and I'd get the 900 - it's on sale this week at AC Moore for $60! A pretty good deal. If you can't get that, then definately the 500. I think that you'll want the bigger size becuase it's more versatile. I got a great package deal on QVC a while ago for the 500 - came with refills etc. Use your coupons for the refills . . . The adhesive refills are great for paint cans or any larger piece that you want to adhere - it will stay better than mono. GET IT!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-19-2005, 05:24 PM   #13  
Rubber Obsessor

Default xyron

I love my xyron. The little sized one is good for adding adhesive to narrow ribbon. Small letters and punchies are hard to glue each separately so the xyron is great for this. Sometimes I punch my letters and put through the xyron but leave on the strip until I get to a crop. This is much easier for transporting. I use tweeers for the small punchies to take off the strip and place directly on the paper. I also have the 210 (I Think) size .It's good for adhering 2"wide ribbon............ Here's another "glitzy" idea - cut around a sticker letterto cut off the sheet of letters-leave the letter on it's backing. Run through the xyron so the adhesive gets on the top. Sprinkle with glitter then remove from it's original backing, stick on your page and you have a gorgeous glitter letter - or number - for maybe 4th of July!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-19-2005, 05:38 PM   #14  
Crimping Master

I have the 550, which I really like. I don't use it as much as I should. To be honest, I forgot I had it for a year or two. I just tried using the magnetic refill, and I was very disappointed. I was trying to make calendar magnets for my Girl Scout troop, with all the days of our meetings. It laminated them really well, but the magnet part peeled off the back. So I ran them through again using the permanent adhesive, and then put them back on the magnetic part. Now they are really nice, but it took more work than I expected. The adhesive with the magnetic refill is just not strong enough, IMO.

Jennifer
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-19-2005, 08:00 PM   #15  
Stampin' Fool

LOVE my xyron (I have the 510). I use it to put adhesive on the back of cardstock and then cut out letters on my sizzix machine, it's great not haveing to put adhesive on the back of little pieces b/c it's already there, just peel off the backing and stick it to my scrapbook page. Way better than buying sheets of alphabet stickers that don't all get used. LOVE the idea with the glittler on the letters.
Cheryl
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-19-2005, 08:16 PM   #16  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arlene Bridges
I have 3 models of Xyron.... the 150 (commonly called the X cause it is shaped like an orange X), the 250 and the 500. I must say that my 250 gets the most work! I am constantly ordering refills for it. It is a bit over 2 inches wide.

If I had it to do all over again, I would only own the 250 model....just my 2 cents -
I also have all three and definately use the smaller two more. One of my favorite techniques is to put a stamped image through upside down, then pull off the adhesive, and cover with glitter. It's really cool for snowmen and other wintery looking stamps. I also use it quite often for little letters punched from my Alphabits set or from my Quickutz lettters.

I am extraordinarily patient, provided I get my own way in the end. - Margaret Thatcher

https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/go/dstfrommi
Reply With Quote Likes