Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 10-26-2007, 08:20 PM   #1  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Please don't blast me!

Is it just me or does there seem to be alot of cards posted lately that don't have the "ingredients" or say "see my blog". I understand people want us to look at thier blogs and I have seen a ton of really cute stuff on alot of peoples blogs, but sometimes it is just nicer to have it right there and not have to go anywhere else, which is the biggest reason why I come to splitcoast and not idividual blogs. I like to have all the information in one place, not to have to go to a bunch of different blogs. Just my opinion-- I love you all!! :mrgreen:
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-26-2007, 08:42 PM   #2  
Polyshrink Goddess

ITA! If it says "see my blog for recipe" or whatever -- I don't even bother. If they can't bother to put it here -- where this venue is what it's for -- then I don't bother to look. JMO And I RARELY favorite unless it has the colors of paper/ink and stamp sets listed. It has to be spectacular (IMO) for me to favorite it w/o the info.

I know that doesn't help -- but I always put the info on my posts. That's why ppl look at the gallery. If I wasn't familiar w/SU colors/stamps or other company's products I would be lost as to how/what to use.

Ok, I've vented too.... sorry.

my gallery
my blog :
What Was I Inkin'?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-26-2007, 08:47 PM   #3  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scrappy13View Post
Is it just me or does there seem to be alot of cards posted lately that don't have the "ingredients" or say "see my blog". I understand people want us to look at thier blogs and I have seen a ton of really cute stuff on alot of peoples blogs, but sometimes it is just nicer to have it right there and not have to go anywhere else, which is the biggest reason why I come to splitcoast and not idividual blogs. I like to have all the information in one place, not to have to go to a bunch of different blogs. Just my opinion-- I love you all!! :mrgreen:
Your title made me laugh. It's like when my kids say, "Okay Mom, don't be mad, but..." But yours wasn't bad like theirs would usually be when they start it that way.

I always put the recipe in. I think it's a good idea to give the basic recipe and if it's a complex project, you can add your blog link if the viewer wants a much deeper description or a tutorial. But I agree, it's a lot easier to see what color, inks, embellishments and techniques were used if it's right there in front of you.

Hugs,
Gina K.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-26-2007, 08:50 PM   #4  
Glitter Guru

I like to see the items used in a card listed to and find in frustrating when it is not there

�So many of our dreams at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we summon the will, they soon become inevitable.�
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-26-2007, 09:27 PM   #5  
Glitter Guru

I have a blog but I always include the card recipe on my SCS gallery. I feel that the reason for my blog is to add a few more tips and more details about the card. Its just a place to read or ask questions.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-26-2007, 09:36 PM   #6  
Proud Fan Club Member
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scrappy13View Post

I have to agree with this post.
Everytime I post one of my photo's of my creations I try to remember to list everything I used. Sometime I do forget. Sometimes I add my blog information to what I have posted. And you can view it if you want to.

Something else I like is when other's use Keywords to find what I am looking for. It makes it fast and very easy to find things.

Don't get me wrong I like reading Blogs. It just would be nice to see how you made the card or creation.

Maybe those that have blogs Like myself should copy and paste information from here into their blogs or from their blogs into the gallery here on SCS.

Spoiler

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-26-2007, 10:51 PM   #7  
Splitcoast Gallery Moderator

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

If I'm not mistaken, SCS wants you to include the details when uploading a card. I know I read that somewhere in guidelines or some other area. I always include the details when I post. I, too, want to do one-stop shopping. It's nice reading blogs and I will go to them for some extra details, but it's nice to have the basic information posted along with the card.

My Gallery ~ My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-26-2007, 11:29 PM   #8  
Hardware Hotshot

For sure I would like the Stamp Set. I can usually figure out the others. If not I send them a message and ask or go to the blog.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-26-2007, 11:51 PM   #9  
This reminds me of a Star Trek episode....

Received 118 Likes on 98 Posts

Ahhh, I'm glad someone said this again.

Seems like every few months, this comes up.

Some people send you to their blog and NOT just the card. We're supposed to find it? No thanks.

So - I never click on blogs. Sorry. I just don't.

Blogs may be a lot of work, and if that's the case, and they don't have time to put the basics here, then maybe they shouldn't bother to even upload the card here.

I don't like feeling that they're doing me a favor by posting their card here and making me go to a blog for more info. (I don't think that's what it is, but that's why I don't think the excuse of "blogs are a lot of work" is valid.)

I think a lot of people just don't even think about it. They probably don't realize that many of us even care.

This site is FOR card-sharing. Post the ingredients!!!!!!!!!!

"Fun must be always." - Tomas Hertl, San Jose Sharks
"It was fun." - Kirk, Star Trek: Generations
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-26-2007, 11:58 PM   #10  
Compulsive Stamper

I have to agree with what everyone has said.

I am on a few yahoogroups for SU demos & sharing and they will say ... i made a card - its on my blog. Well I'm afraid i wont go and look at those - if you've bothered to join a group and sent an email how hard is it to attach or insert an image and provide the recipe?

However if they do provide image & recipe and i like the card I am more likely to go check out their blog for more work then.

Inky hugs

Leonie Schroder
Campbelltown NSW
Australia

Visit my blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-27-2007, 01:10 AM   #11  
Stazon Splitcoast

I prefer to have recipes listed whereever it's posted, but if people want to send others to a blog, then at least provide the permalink (the link to that specific project on the blog), not just the location of the blog. Some people update their blogs so frequently that projects are quickly buried; some people look at posts so infrequently that the projects are buried by the time they check them out.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-27-2007, 04:00 AM   #12  
Crimping Master

I to prefer the recipe on here. I will go to the blog if they have a tutorial or directions on how to make something.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-27-2007, 04:48 AM   #13  
Stazon Splitcoast

i recently found that if you upload to your member gallery...

the recipe doesn't show up.

i always include the recipe but found that some of the cards in my member gallery did not have the info i had entered when uploading. i found out that the ones that HAD BEEN in my regular gallery and then moved to my member gallery retained the info but the ones i uploaded DIRECTLY TO my member gallery did not.

bummer... just thought i would share this tidbit.

that is why the recipe isn't included in some (or most) of my entries to my MEMBER GALLERY.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-27-2007, 05:19 AM   #14  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Forums at Splitcoaststampers
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-27-2007, 05:20 AM   #15  
Glitter Queen

I'm so new that I've only uploaded one but I added the items I used The method was pretty self-explanatory
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-27-2007, 05:27 AM   #16  
Polyshrink Goddess

I think both blogs and gallerys are such a wonderful gift. Being computer challenged and trying to upload to my gallery, with frustration, I marvel at the people who take the time to come on and share PERIOD..... When I look in the gallery I am looking at the creation and using my creativity to see what works in my head. A color combo or a add on factor that I can use and learn from. I have loved klicking on to a blog I have not seen and sit in awe of things that are shared there. The only time I really look at the recipe for something is to find the name of a stamp set that I don't recognize. I am just so grateful people share what they share, in whatever way they choose to do so. TFS
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-27-2007, 05:37 AM   #17  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

I am not the guru on this stuff, but from different conversations, this is what I have gathered...
Proper 'etiquette' is to always list all your materials here. If you have something involved in your project that is not obvious by the pic, that should also be noted. If you have more detailed information or commentary that you would like to share about the project, then it is appropriate to list it on your blog.
Now, keep in mind that this site is growing everyday, and some people are not 'in the know.' I polite "could you list your materials, please?' usually helps to get the needed info.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-27-2007, 05:39 AM   #18  
Die Cut Diva

Send a message via Skype™ to mrs_hawkins

I'm a blogger and a blurfer, but I still like to see a recipe on the SCS gallery. I always put a recipe on mine. And another pet peeve is people who participate in challenges and link to their blog in the chat forum instead of uploading their card to the SCS gallery.

Sorry, I'm crabby this morning. I didn't get much sleep.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-27-2007, 05:47 AM   #19  
Insane Embellisher

I prefer if the items are listed, but if they aren't, and I really like the card/item I will fav it anyways. I do check blogs out and I have added quite a few to my favs as well from here
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-27-2007, 05:52 AM   #20  
Glitter Guru

This topic comes up so often here on SCS, but here is my opinion, for what it is worth, LOL. I would appreciate if at least the basics, stampset, inks, paper(especially the colors on my laptop are so wonky) and if there is a specific technigque, i don't mind going to their blog, but if there is nothing, I would have to absolutely, with out a doubt, have to know everything about that card to click on a blog link, cuz when i am cruising the gallery for ideas, i want to know now(i know i am impatient, LOL)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-27-2007, 05:53 AM   #21  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by MendaView Post
I think both blogs and gallerys are such a wonderful gift. Being computer challenged and trying to upload to my gallery, with frustration, I marvel at the people who take the time to come on and share PERIOD..... When I look in the gallery I am looking at the creation and using my creativity to see what works in my head. A color combo or a add on factor that I can use and learn from. I have loved klicking on to a blog I have not seen and sit in awe of things that are shared there. The only time I really look at the recipe for something is to find the name of a stamp set that I don't recognize. I am just so grateful people share what they share, in whatever way they choose to do so. TFS
What Menda says! Although I'm not so much computer challenged, I am time challenged (although if I spent a little less time on this site, maybe I'd have more time for other things! :rolleyes: )

I just appreciate this site and all the people who take the time to share so much! Without it I wouldn't be the stamper I am today, wouldn't have the friends, cyber or otherwise, that I have today, and wouldn't have the room full of things I don't have time to use (ah, but the satisfaction of knowing they are there....... priceless :mrgreen: )

I can usually work out the ingredients and if I can't, I ask. I've rarely had a PM go unanswered.

I am constantly amazed by the wealth of knowledge, talent and inspiration that is available here, and through all the blog links,(am I the only one who actually likes these?) FOR NOTHING!!!

Stampers are COOL
Thanks everyone!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-27-2007, 05:55 AM   #22  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by Totally_AddinktiveView Post
I have to agree with what everyone has said.

I am on a few yahoogroups for SU demos & sharing and they will say ... i made a card - its on my blog. Well I'm afraid i wont go and look at those - if you've bothered to join a group and sent an email how hard is it to attach or insert an image and provide the recipe?

However if they do provide image & recipe and i like the card I am more likely to go check out their blog for more work then.
I am on a few yahoo groups as well but sometimes the cards don't go through to the group on yahoo.. lately if I attach them to the email they have been bouncing back. If I get them bounced back at me I then direct them to my blog....

I do put the receipe for my cards that I post here but I also put the link directly to that card from my blog in my gallery.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-27-2007, 05:55 AM   #23  
Crimping Master

Default Amen Girl

I agree. I try to put the random story on my blog. Here, I put the basic information on what I used. I admit that sometimes by lift of things is weak but it is because I am bad about remembering the color names. I do try though.

Thanks for the gentle reminder for everyone.

Kate

My Blog - Just me and the dog (stamping too)

My little gallery.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-27-2007, 06:08 AM   #24  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Bionic ChatboxChick

Received 670 Likes on 422 Posts

here is another random thought...
there are a lot of people who come to sites like this, and only visit the gallery and they feel like the won the lotto when they figure out how to upload and share to the gallery too... so they have no concept that these conversations take place because they only go straight to the gallery and then leave from there...

I try to list what i know on mine and write unknown when I'm not positive. When i direct people to my blog ( hardly ever ) its usually because i have shot the project at different angles to show the dimension of it. ( that's the one thing about this gallery thats not so great is you can only do one photo in the post)

My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-27-2007, 06:16 AM   #25  
Gabfest Goddess

If you post at splitcoast, I would expect to see the info at splitcoast. To me it's almost like a bait and switch or something.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-27-2007, 06:32 AM   #26  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If they don't have the time to offer that information, I assume that they
won't mind if we don't have the time to post a comment. I am also
finding on blogs, if you want to make that card or like the color combo
when you want to print it, you won't get a print out. Why do people
share stuff on a blog, and if they are a demo, and yet you can't make
a copy of what they SHARE. that site no longer is a favorite for me to visit anymore.
Most people are great about sharing, and we know it is more time consuming,
and if it is a rare occasion for that person, we will
understand Carolyn
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-27-2007, 06:50 AM   #27  
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess

I always list the basic info for mine. If I have extra information about it on my blog, I put in the link. But I always fill in the products used. That's just common courtesy.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-27-2007, 07:41 AM   #28  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by marieosView Post
These threads always turn so snotty over and over again. No one needs to put "shoulds" on any other poster. I think it is rude to insist that people post your way and do what you say. If they want to upload a thousand pictures without instructions, then accept that they have shared themselves via their artwork. Have you ever considered that maybe they want to keep their techniques a secret? Have you ever eaten a wonderful dessert but not been offered the recipe and when you ask they won't give it. Same deal here.
Actually, there are rules on SCS (I think Joan just posted them further up) that states you are to leave a basic recipe. JulieHRR has gone over this numerous times. I think people just need reminding that this is to be done for every upload. I guess, if people don't want to do this, then they are not following the rules of SCS and that is between them and the moderators. (You do not have to put the techinique down....just your basics....the technique is nice because you can use it as a keyword to find all the cards make using that technique....but this is not required by SCS).

MY GALLERY

"Do Not Take Yourself too Seriously.... No One Else Does"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-27-2007, 09:01 AM   #29  
Polyshrink Goddess

I'm sorry, but this topic has been done to death. I respect what everyone thinks about this issue, but threads like this one continues the festering and the bad feelings. It appears no one is ever happy anymore around here. You screwed if you do and you're screwed if you don't. Can't we all just be happy? This is why I don't frequent SCS much anymore, and I haven't uploaded anything for months (but just so you know....when I was uploading cards, I was putting the recipe in and MORE). However, I definitely added my blog link as well.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-27-2007, 09:34 AM   #30  
Stazon Splitcoast

I'm sorry, but I have yet to see any "Rules" about this. The "Julie" post about recipes had to do with bloggers in particular that uploaded cards just to point people to their blogs. It did NOT dictate that people had to provide any further information if there wasn't a blog link.

The whole thing came up specifically because so many people were giving the appearance of using SCS's huge membership to drive traffic to their own blogs, thus building their readership up on the back of Daven and Tracy's hard work. So not cool.

However, there has never, ever been a rule telling folks what they should do otherwise. In Daven's posts in the past, he's always stated that he really does not like to post too many rules...he just wants to provide a place for folks to come together and share and inspire each other. So all I see when I read threads like this is that some of YOU are deciding to make rules on Daven's behalf. If you absolutely must have rules to play nice, then ask Daven for his "ruling." Better that than run around in mob fashion, which is what these threads tend to become.

Last...if you notice, the thread Joan attached was LOCKED because so many people couldn't express themselves politely. So when you post in threads like this, stop and think that there are people on the other side of the screen.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-27-2007, 09:43 AM   #31  
Stazon Splitcoast

I think what SCS has asked is that you don't leave a link to your blog as your ONLY information. In that situation it appears to be more like promoting your blog than sharing your creation. I do not think it is against the rules to not put a recipe, however I think it is encouraged and appreciated to share the information.

I personally do not mind it when people put a link to their blogs- if I am at home I might even check it out. If I am at work, however I cannot view it since blogs are blocked. I greatly appreciate it when someone takes the time to include a basic recipe with their card. This is the main place I go to for ideas and inspiration. It is nice to not have to search everywhere for information.

I always try to post at least basic info with my cards- although sometimes I forget and leave something out. I have even waited to upload a card until I had time to put in all the information. But that's just me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-27-2007, 09:51 AM   #32  
Hardware Hotshot

I know what you mean. I always post visit my blog or something like that where people have the option, but I always list what stuff I used on SCS too. I think it's kinda defeating the purpose of getting people to visit your blog if they have to just to see what stamps/color you used.

I love blogs, and love checking out new ones, so I think it's great when people put the link, but I think they should also fill out what stuff they used on the card.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-27-2007, 11:07 AM   #33  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by HeartfeltGreetingsView Post
I'm sorry, but this topic has been done to death. I respect what everyone thinks about this issue, but threads like this one continues the festering and the bad feelings. It appears no one is ever happy anymore around here. You screwed if you do and you're screwed if you don't. Can't we all just be happy? This is why I don't frequent SCS much anymore, and I haven't uploaded anything for months (but just so you know....when I was uploading cards, I was putting the recipe in and MORE). However, I definitely added my blog link as well.

I was going to say the same thing but was afraid of getting flamed for it, I'm glad you said it. There seems to be a post on this subject every other day when it's unnecessary, there's a sticky at the top of the page dedicated to this subject. If there had been any indication in the title that this was yet another recipe/blog thread I would not have even looked at it.

There is no way everyone here will have the same opinion on the subject... so why not let it go? Or at least keep it in the sticky? I won't even post my opinion on the subject ~ it won't make one bit of difference. Like she said, can't we all just be happy?

Have a happy Saturday!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-27-2007, 03:41 PM   #34  
This reminds me of a Star Trek episode....

Received 118 Likes on 98 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by MSBetsyZView Post
I'm sorry, but I have yet to see any "Rules" about this. The "Julie" post about recipes had to do with bloggers in particular that uploaded cards just to point people to their blogs. It did NOT dictate that people had to provide any further information if there wasn't a blog link.

The whole thing came up specifically because so many people were giving the appearance of using SCS's huge membership to drive traffic to their own blogs, thus building their readership up on the back of Daven and Tracy's hard work. So not cool.

However, there has never, ever been a rule telling folks what they should do otherwise. In Daven's posts in the past, he's always stated that he really does not like to post too many rules...he just wants to provide a place for folks to come together and share and inspire each other. So all I see when I read threads like this is that some of YOU are deciding to make rules on Daven's behalf. If you absolutely must have rules to play nice, then ask Daven for his "ruling." Better that than run around in mob fashion, which is what these threads tend to become.

Last...if you notice, the thread Joan attached was LOCKED because so many people couldn't express themselves politely. So when you post in threads like this, stop and think that there are people on the other side of the screen.
Thanks Betsy, you are so right.

Really, it's just courtesy to list a few things, but if one doesn't have time, well, I'm disappointed. If they direct me to the blog, I just don't go. I went once, mind you, just once (I'm so not a blog person) and the card wasn't immediately evident. So I never go now. LOL

But - it's personal for me. I don't care enough to trash anybody one way or another. Whatever.

If I really loved a card and wanted to case it and nothing was there, I guess I'd PM the poster.

No sense getting panties bunched up about it.

"Fun must be always." - Tomas Hertl, San Jose Sharks
"It was fun." - Kirk, Star Trek: Generations
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-27-2007, 03:49 PM   #35  
Kookie Creator

perfect example was a card with a star burst. a recipe here and a tutorial on her blog for the star burst. the starburst was fantastic by the way
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-27-2007, 06:25 PM   #36  
Gabfest Goddess

We get new users here all the time, and the OP here only has 231 as of right now. It's likely she has not seen any of the other threads. I'm sure she's not trying to offend.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-27-2007, 06:32 PM   #37  
Crimping Master

I guesss I really don't understand what the thing is with blogs. Do people get money for the number of clicks they receive or what? I even read about someone who felt "embarassed" that people were reading and commenting on her blog, like they were peeping in her underwear drawer or sumthin'!

Who in the world has the time to devote to a blog for other than commercial reasons?

I just don't get the whole blog thing!

Coletta
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-27-2007, 07:05 PM   #38  
Pearl-ExPert

Julie says it all in the very first post of this thread,which is "stickied" at the top of the General Stamping forum:

Forums at Splitcoaststampers

I don't think the OP intended to "start" anything...with the multitudes of new members daily, this is something that everyone should be reminded of, although when I initially read this thread I was looking for that dead horse.;) Basic info is just a common courtesy.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-27-2007, 09:38 PM   #39  
Matboard Maniac

I'm just happy people upload their cards. I could care less if there is recipe. If I'm going to use a card for inspiration, I'm most likely going to substitute what I already have.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-27-2007, 10:13 PM   #40  
Stazon Splitcoast

No, you're right, Birdbrain, I don't think the OP intended anything hurtful at all, and I hope she's not thinking I am, lol. I just want people to stop and think, is all. A lot of uploaders, probably most, but I don't know that, put in some sort of recipe. Many do not. Whatever their reasons, they are valid to them, and it's not for us to say anything about it. Since there are upwards of 1,000 and more uploads every day, focus on the ones that make you happy, lol, not the ones that don't do things the way you think they "should."
Reply With Quote Likes