Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 02-02-2009, 03:05 PM   #81  
Matboard Maniac

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have to admit that when I see a MC icon next to a topic, I automatically skip it. I hate having advertisement forced on me in anyway. I am with those that vote for MCs to have their own seperate forum. I don't mind if it is place above the GS forums.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-02-2009, 03:18 PM   #82  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 48 Likes on 39 Posts

I posted a comment to Daven on the suggestions thread. I agree with most here that it is a distraction.

I believe most of us here know where to go look for these MC's if we are interested.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-02-2009, 03:23 PM   #83  
Pearl-ExPert

[QUOTE=mginker;12974153]I have to admit that when I see a MC icon next to a topic, I automatically skip it.

This is what i have been doing also. If and when I want to visit a certain MC forum I head over there to view it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-02-2009, 03:24 PM   #84  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by mginkerView Post
I have to admit that when I see a MC icon next to a topic, I automatically skip it. I hate having advertisement forced on me in anyway. I am with those that vote for MCs to have their own seperate forum. I don't mind if it is place above the GS forums.

I do this as well!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-02-2009, 04:29 PM   #85  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by propeciaView Post
They are distracting but to me, it's not the icons, it's having their threads in the general stamping forum that is distracting.
I agree, isn't there seperate forums for them?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-02-2009, 05:07 PM   #86  
Glitter Guru

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by CraftsView Post
Hi, Kay -- Thanks for remembering my screen shot . That link isn't working for me, but here's another copy of my mockup from reply #54 so that people don't have to go scouting around for it. As you pointed out, I don't know what's involved with actually implementing this idea. I just like the looks of it.

Oh, I LOVE this!! I, too am finding them distracting the way they are now. I just love your idea. Brilliant!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-02-2009, 06:02 PM   #87  
Polyshrink Goddess

I think that the MC posts have kind-of wrecked the GS Forum--it's no longer that enjoyable to read---there are too many MC threads that feel like ad's. I do just skip over them but they are so numerous and distracting (plus some ARE NOT stamping related).

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE give MC's a subforum of their own above GS, so we can get back to more "nondenominational" stamping issues ; )
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-02-2009, 06:39 PM   #88  
Hardware Hotshot

Make them GO AWAY!!!!! I detest the MC threads and they belong back in their own home. If anyone is interested, they know where to find them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-02-2009, 06:43 PM   #89  
Stazon Splitcoast

Wink

I have thought about it for a few days.....I think it is crummy that there are any company signs by the threads.....period. I will not post...it is all about money.:rolleyes:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-02-2009, 06:49 PM   #90  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Send a message via Skype™ to AmberDawn

It really isn't all about money in the MC forums. We do alot of discussing things just like what's discussed in here! There are never any BUY THIS NOW type of threads, we aren't allowed to do that. If a happy customer decides to share their experience with a product, what's the big deal? People do that here in the GS for companies who DON'T pay to support the MB you (general you, not meaning to point anyone out) love so much and no one jumps on them (and they shouldn't, lol!)
I would guess you've never visited the forums or know the companies if you think they have that type of attitude. It is NOT all about money. We have friendships, we have fun, and we talkin stampin. Sometimes there is the occasional thread that doesn't discuss stamping, but it's all good Feel free to jump in if you want, or just don't click on the thread.
I design for Verve Stamps and Reverse Confetti!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-02-2009, 06:54 PM   #91  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by glenda sView Post
Make them GO AWAY!!!!! I detest the MC threads and they belong back in their own home. If anyone is interested, they know where to find them.
I wasn't going to get involved in this but since it seems to be such a hot topic, I decided to post.

I have to agree - Please put those company signs away. I think it's awesome when a store owner wants to chat and be involved in conversations but the logos are irritating and 99.9% of the time, I skip a post simply because there's a logo next to it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-02-2009, 07:05 PM   #92  
Crimping Master

I hope that we can find a way to support the Member Companies as they are paying money to support the site that has become VERY important to many of us!!! With that said, I have REALLY tried not to get involved in this issue and adjust but it amazes me that it has been so difficult to adjust to what should be a minor adjustment. It really does make it hard to look through the threads. I keep hoping I will get use to it
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-02-2009, 07:10 PM   #93  
Matboard Maniac

I'm a little confused about these icons because the explanation I read when they first started here didn't make sense to me. Do these icons show up only when an MC has started a topic to specifically discuss something related to their company? Because I don't understand how that could ever go in the General Stamping forums - wouldn't it go in the Tool and Product Talk since it relates to a specific product? Or, as others have noted, they would relate to specific challenges or whatever, and still wouldn't go in the GS forum. I will agree with others that all the icons do is make me skip over the topics because I don't want to read a thread that is inherently advertisement while I'm browsing the forums. If I want to learn more about a company, I'll go to their website, not browse some forum with a bunch of disorganized information. I actually like the icons where they are because it helps me to identify the offending threads immediately. If the icon was off to the side, I would probably be clicking into these threads all the time and then getting irritated once I realized it was really advertising instead of a thread discussing stamping more generally. Another thing is that the threads I've seen with the MC icons have some of the most non-descript thread titles I've seen here on SCS, so you really do need an easy way to identify these threads.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-02-2009, 07:23 PM   #94  
Stazon Splitcoast

I just think the whole MC forums, as they are currently set up, aren't doing what they'd hoped. I would have thought the MC forums were there in order for those companies to legitimately post stuff that might otherwise be against TOS in any other forum. I think somehow it evolved that EVERY post by or about one of the companies is banished to "their" forum, incorrectly.

OF COURSE they should still post in the general threads. As has been pointed out, a lot of their threads are not advertising and do belong up here. There's just no real reason they should feel that the logos are necessary. The only reason I can think they'd be a good thing is that it shows that they are, as PAYING Member Companies, allowed to talk up their products, unlike every other company.

I remember being a vendor in the dark ages of internet selling (like, over a decade ago, lol!) and in some sites there were similar set ups to the MC concept here. My memory's kinda vague on the details, but I do recall that as companies that supported the sites, we were allowed to post sales in ways that others weren't. I kind of remember having something in our tag lines that let people know that we were paying for the privilege of doing so.

Maybe there's a way to re-configure the whole MC concept here, so they are NOT out of the way down there. Reserve their forums for sale-specific posts only, so they can mingle up here with the rest of us, lol. And then, maybe even consider being more restrictive about other companies posting that aren't actually contributing to the site.

It's taken me so long to type this I've quite forgotten how I started out, lol, so I guess I should stop. I just want to reiterate that I think the problem is mostly the whole idea that the MC's were ever segregated in the first place...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-02-2009, 07:41 PM   #95  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Change is always going to promote strong wonderful opinions. It is the only way we all come to the conclusion that permits something that works for everyone. I think it will just take some time and some patience, along with sweet civilized discussion to get to where there is a great meeting place for everyone involved.

From experience on my website - I know how long it takes to get things working smoothly and efficiently. Perfecting this will take time as well.

Last edited by unitystampco; 02-02-2009 at 07:47 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-02-2009, 07:47 PM   #96  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sibilance7View Post
I'm a little confused about these icons because the explanation I read when they first started here didn't make sense to me. Do these icons show up only when an MC has started a topic to specifically discuss something related to their company? Because I don't understand how that could ever go in the General Stamping forums - wouldn't it go in the Tool and Product Talk since it relates to a specific product?
My understanding is that any thread posted in the member forums automatically appears in the General forum as a cross post, so to speak. If you click on the thread for any of these with MC icons, it takes you to that thread in the MC forum i.e. the actual thread resides in the MC forum and that which appears in the GS forum is more like a hyperlink.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-02-2009, 07:51 PM   #97  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by RubberneckerView Post
This is my issue (I'll see your 2 cents and raise you 2 cents). Lately a crockpot thread or something like that (I think it's from StampinBell) has been popping up on the general thread. We have a section for that and it's annoying to have those kind of things on the General Stamping thread.
I ditto that. It seems the mods are very vigilant about moving topics relating to tools and specific products out of the GS forum but virtually ignore these off topic discussions. I find it frustrating and somewhat confusing because if anything, I would think it would be the opposite. At least threads related to tools are stamping related but crockpot recipe trading is not.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-02-2009, 09:25 PM   #98  
Kookie Creator

Ever read the book "Who moved my cheese?" by Spencer Johnson, MD? It is a great one-two hour read.

Love the mock up!

Last edited by Michelle My Belle; 02-02-2009 at 09:29 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-03-2009, 01:56 AM   #99  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

It is mildly visually distracting, but not a big deal to me. I suspect that the reason SCS put the MC threads up in General Stamping is based on money. These companies are paying $$$$ and want more visibility for their $$$$.

There are plenty of companies whose names are mentioned here every day who have not spent one red cent on advertising with SCS. Aren't they lucky that SCS provides them (and sometimes their demos) such enormous free advertising. So, I think it is a fair business judgment to provide the MC with more exposure.

I know that many of the MC forums are full of topics that are not money or business related, but let's get real -- the whole point of a company is to make money and the whole point of being a MC is to increase the chances of making money. Nothing for which to apologize! You can't have stamps without a little money exchanging hands!! And a little profit to pay the bills....and if you can have fun in the meantime, that's twice as good!

But, only if it works. If too many folks hate the icons, then it isn't serving its purpose. I'm sure it will work out eventually.

Or not!!:twisted:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-03-2009, 03:27 AM   #100  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by MSBetsyZView Post
I remember being a vendor in the dark ages of internet selling (like, over a decade ago, lol!) and in some sites there were similar set ups to the MC concept here. My memory's kinda vague on the details, but I do recall that as companies that supported the sites, we were allowed to post sales in ways that others weren't. I kind of remember having something in our tag lines that let people know that we were paying for the privilege of doing so.

Maybe there's a way to re-configure the whole MC concept here, so they are NOT out of the way down there. Reserve their forums for sale-specific posts only, so they can mingle up here with the rest of us, lol. And then, maybe even consider being more restrictive about other companies posting that aren't actually contributing to the site.
On my other boards, paying members can have banner ads in their signature lines. I think that would be a great compromise--all of the threads would look the same in GS, and companies and their fans could more subtly advertise by contributing worthwhile posts in ALL forums.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-03-2009, 03:37 AM   #101  
Insane Embellisher

I simply do not read the ones with the icons of companies from which I do not purchase. I have to go through several pages though to see the posts of GS. If the icons were not there, I might click through to that thread and realize I did not want to be there. However, MC have good conversations and points to make just as the GS. Are they annoying - yes - but I am getting used to them. Would I like to see them go away - yes. As for the comment about other companies not part of the MC - there isn't an SU forum/thread for SU only unless you are a demo????? though SCS is big on SU with gallery, etc. There are sticky notes for others.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-03-2009, 03:55 AM   #102  
Die Cut Diva

My main problem with the MC threads is that so many are not related to General Stamping. I've purchased from at least 3 of the member companies before, and I do love their products, but I don't like this. It is a real turnoff. If I want to chat about the Member Companies or want more info, I'll go to their threads. This makes me want to avoid the MC threads, avoid General Stamping, and even avoid the forums altogether. I'm thinking I should spend more time in the Gallery! LOL!

The more we thank, the more we discover we have to be thankful for.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-03-2009, 04:20 AM   #103  
Polyshrink Goddess

I wanted to add that I don't mind the MC's posting in the GS forums at all (if it's stamping related) if they'd take the icons away. We can still see who posted under the post title--why isn't that enough? The icons just seem obnoxious and blatant---they are an actual turn off to me (making me not want to support the MC company) and I don't want to be turned off to a particular company.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-03-2009, 05:17 AM   #104  
Hardware Hotshot

I am not a big fan of them for a couple of reasons.
First, the icons are definitely distracting. As JulieHRR pointed out, I skip right over them because of their distraction factor.

Second, right now the first post, which is a MC post, is somebody who is a Scentsy(?) demo trying to sell their stuff? What in the world does this have to do with stamping? The challenge posts should go in the challenges section, personal posts in those sections etc. If I posted something about a product in this area, you would move my post. I realize that this may not be possible but if the MC posts here in General Stamping are not on topic, they do not belong here.

Having said all that, if you change the icons and keep the posts on topic with this area, I have no real problem with this.

Laura

Running With Lollipops my everything else blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-03-2009, 05:43 AM   #105  
Mad Swapper

Currently there are two 'sticky' MC topics. Do these drop off with more topics or do they stay on top?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-03-2009, 05:48 AM   #106  
Stazon Splitcoast

The sticky posts aren't supposed to feed over here, and it's something that's being worked on.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-03-2009, 05:50 AM   #107  
Mad Swapper

Default Thanks

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbalcerView Post
The sticky posts aren't supposed to feed over here, and it's something that's being worked on.

I was somewhat concerned that the first page could be filled with sticky posts and general stamping topics would be lost on the following pages.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-03-2009, 05:54 AM   #108  
Hardware Hotshot

I guess if the decision has been made to have them feed over, then leave the icon, so we know what posts to NOT read.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-03-2009, 05:56 AM   #109  
Die Cut Diva

Very well said Carole!!!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by TruCarMaView Post
I agree, Val. Plus, a lot of the time they pertain to things I'm interested in but wouldn't otherwise see since I'm generally not in all of the various MC forums.

From the point of view of MCs, think how many non-MC company specific threads pop up in the General Stamping forum -- a TON. Why should the MCs be penalized from appearing in General Stamping when they are the ones who actually support SCS?!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-03-2009, 06:00 AM   #110  
Gallery Gazer

I don't love the icons, but they do serve a purpose for me - it indicates which threads I can skip over.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-03-2009, 06:03 AM   #111  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

For myself, I've found some interesting threads that I'd have missed before they started crossposting to General Stamping. The member companies are kind of stuck way on the bottom of the list of forums and I tend to forget they're around. I agree that the way the icons are shown are distracting, and I feel kind of bad for Stamping Bella because her adorable icon hardly shows up, but I also like having the MC icon to help give me a clue to whether I want to open that post or not.

It would be nice if there was some way to direct the MC posts to the correct forum instead of all General Stamping, but in the whole scheme of things, it's pretty easy to tell for the most part whether it's a more chit-chat thread or stamping related.

I just feel that the Member Companies are paying to help support the site and they should get some special consideration. I'm going to use Stamping Bella as an example here - before she paid to become a Member Company, she actually seemed to get more exposure in the General Stamping/Tool & Product threads from all the stampers who were excited about her stamps and were sharing info on sales and the like, and were "turning on" others who hadn't seen the stamps, or didn't know where to get them. Now that she's a member company, those posts are "banished" to her MC forum. She still has her loyal followers there, but she's not getting the same exposure to new stampers who might become loyal followers. (Except for the gallery.)

On the other hand, companies who are not helping to support the site still get that same buzz on the General Stamping site. Think for a minute about all the posts about Nestabilities; Cuttlebug, Big Shot and Cricut are all from companies that don't support the site but have their own sticky threads in the Tool & Product forum; there are threads announcing new Changito stamps, the new TAC catalog, the Sale-A-Bration catalog, etc. If I owned a member company, and I saw how much exposure non-member companies got compared to me, I wouldn't stay a member company for long.

Of course it's "all about making money". Would I show up for work every day if I weren't being paid for my effort? If any of these member companies doesn't "make money" in their endeavors, they aren't going to stay in business, no matter how much they love what they're doing. They still need to eat and stay warm And this site is not going to be around if it doesn't make money for the owners.

Sorry this got to be such a long post. I didn't think I had strong feelings one way or the other until I started reading some of the posts here.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-03-2009, 06:11 AM   #112  
Matboard Maniac

Gosh, I thought it was just me-didn't even see this post as hadn't been able to cope with looking!

Too much information I think is the phrase and I confess me not liking change may be part of it! SCS has SO much information it's like walking into an amazing shop with ribbons there and chipboard over there, gorgeous papers here, look at those ink pads just there etc-which way do I go? The importance of things being precise so to speak and clear is paramount and it's too much-sorry to be a grump but I don't like it, please can we try plan B??
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-03-2009, 06:12 AM   #113  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by CraftsView Post
Hi, Kay -- Thanks for remembering my screen shot . That link isn't working for me, but here's another copy of my mockup from reply #54 so that people don't have to go scouting around for it. As you pointed out, I don't know what's involved with actually implementing this idea. I just like the looks of it.

This gets my vote...so much cleaner. Not trying to say the MCs shouldn't be in the general forum, just that it needs to be neater and easier on the eyes.

Yep, me and Nutswithtwins are BFF's.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-03-2009, 06:12 AM   #114  
Die Cut Diva

Wow Joan -- you hit the nail right on the head!!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joan BView Post
It is mildly visually distracting, but not a big deal to me. I suspect that the reason SCS put the MC threads up in General Stamping is based on money. These companies are paying $$$$ and want more visibility for their $$$$.

There are plenty of companies whose names are mentioned here every day who have not spent one red cent on advertising with SCS. Aren't they lucky that SCS provides them (and sometimes their demos) such enormous free advertising. So, I think it is a fair business judgment to provide the MC with more exposure.

I know that many of the MC forums are full of topics that are not money or business related, but let's get real -- the whole point of a company is to make money and the whole point of being a MC is to increase the chances of making money. Nothing for which to apologize! You can't have stamps without a little money exchanging hands!! And a little profit to pay the bills....and if you can have fun in the meantime, that's twice as good!

But, only if it works. If too many folks hate the icons, then it isn't serving its purpose. I'm sure it will work out eventually.

Or not!!:twisted:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-03-2009, 06:14 AM   #115  
Pearl-ExPert

don't like 'em for much of the same reasons that have already been voiced.

My biggest problem is the non stamping related ones.. if say the Owner of a company were to start a thread.. stamping related.. new arrivals, new challeneges, THAT actually I would be okay with. because that DOES serve to bring in extra traffic to the MC forum from those who would have otherwise missed.

sometimes the ad banners across the top either don't pull me in, or I just happen to miss it completely. but having any and all posts that are started in MC Forum hyperlinked automatically to General Stamping, is overkill.

why can't the owners of their respective MC have their logo under their name? That would pull them out of the subject line, which most of us agree is distracting at best and annoying at worst.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-03-2009, 06:20 AM   #116  
clean and krafty

Send a message via Skype™ to willosmama

Quote:

Originally Posted by TruCarMaView Post
I agree, Val. Plus, a lot of the time they pertain to things I'm interested in but wouldn't otherwise see since I'm generally not in all of the various MC forums.

From the point of view of MCs, think how many non-MC company specific threads pop up in the General Stamping forum -- a TON. Why should the MCs be penalized from appearing in General Stamping when they are the ones who actually support SCS?!
well said Carole!

Spellbinders DT Coordinator

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-03-2009, 06:21 AM   #117  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

A lot of new SCSers and old, have no idea who or what the member companies are, or what the MC forums are for. Its just fair practice, and a little more exposure for all of them. Most of these companies are small businesses run by few people. All of the owners of the MC come here daily and chat with their customers, to make sure they are happy and ask what things they would like to see in the future. You do not see this type of customer service anymore
Anyone, and any company is allowed to post in the GS forum. Before all of this the MC were only allowed in their own area. Which is not fair, since the Member Companies are helping SCS run. Remember SCS is free to us, and it cost a lot of money to run this site.
It doesn't bother me to see the icons, but I do agree it would be better on the eyes to have the icons on the left.
I love all the member companies and have learned invaluable information from all of them!
All of the owners are extremely nice and really listen to everything you say.
Just my 2 cents
stepping off my soapbox now lol
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-03-2009, 06:52 AM   #118  
Hardware Hotshot

I also like they way the icons look on the left hand side better!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-03-2009, 06:58 AM   #119  
Hardware Hotshot

Like I said...if it's not general stamping, why is it here?

...My life is like a stroll on the beach...As near to the edge as I can go...Thoreau...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-03-2009, 07:00 AM   #120  
Vee
Glitter Guru

Annoying. Repelling me from those posts. If they must be there, let the me both left and smaller. (not there at all would be much better)
Reply With Quote Likes