Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 03-29-2005, 01:09 PM   #1  
Die Cut Diva

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ployshrink blues...

I've seen the gallery, so I KNOW it is possible to create cute little charms with ployshrink. I just can't seem to do it. I've gone through a WHOLE shheet and not ONE image has turned out. They curl up too much, and when i try to straighten them, they break. How do you keep your poly immages from curling up? How do you get nice, FLAT, little charms?
HELP!!! :shock:
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-29-2005, 01:19 PM   #2  
Insane Embellisher

are you using it in the oven or with the heating tool? The heat gun isn't the best. Try the oven and when in the oven they do curl up and if you just wait they will flatten out a few seconds later...thats when you take them out! Hope that helps!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-29-2005, 01:28 PM   #3  
Glitter Guru

I do mine in a little metal tray in my toaster oven. AS SOON AS they shrink, I pull them out and put something weighty on top of them. I'm successful most of the time, but it can be tricky.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-29-2005, 01:53 PM   #4  
Crimping Master

Before Christmas, I actually bought a Shrinky Dink oven (you have to buy the bulbs separately - be sure to get the right ones). I was so frustrated till I got this "old-fashioned toy". It works beautifully for any size. I made some things from the Wonderful Wings set and they turned out great. Unfortunately, I could only make one at a time because they start out so big. I have gained skill doing small images with my heat gun.

One of my friends uses her oven, but places the pieces on cardboard first. She puts tons in at one time & has great success.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-29-2005, 02:02 PM   #5  
Rubber Obsessor

I use my heat gun and love it-trick is to flip them over half way through-I hold them with a pencil if they fly around- and smack them with a flat glass if they arent flat. I love shrinking!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-29-2005, 02:03 PM   #6  
Stazon Splitcoast

I do mine in the toaster oven too. They always curl up but if you leave them a little longer they will flatten out. At least mine always have.
Debbi~SU Demo~SCS#6378
~My Gallery~My SUO Blog~
Mother to 6 and Grandmother to Katie- 7/31/09 & Kyle-12/6/12

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-29-2005, 02:21 PM   #7  
Cupcake Queen

Yep, I did mine on low in the toaster oven and they freak you out cause they look like they are gonna curl forever, but then they flatten out and life is good again -- even on my first try it worked out!!!

HTH,
Amanda
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-29-2005, 02:32 PM   #8  
Pearl-ExPert

when I do mine at home I use a small tray in the oven have no problem. at a workshop we used a sided cookie sheet that was COLD when we started the charms were a bit curled and took a lot longer to shrink. then we put them back for a few min. and they flatened right out.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-29-2005, 02:40 PM   #9  
Stazon Splitcoast

I did find they work a lot better if the oven is hot before I put it in.
Debbi~SU Demo~SCS#6378
~My Gallery~My SUO Blog~
Mother to 6 and Grandmother to Katie- 7/31/09 & Kyle-12/6/12

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-29-2005, 02:44 PM   #10  
Insane Embellisher

I use a heat gun unless it's ½ sheet or larger. With a heat gun, be sure sure to follow the melting curve; do not wave your gun back and forth over the whole piece. When it starts melting, keep the gun pointed at that section, and keep following it as it melts. After it's all curled up, as someone lese mentioned, flip it over. Keep heating until it uncurls and "kind of" flattens out. Then press down on it with a piece of cardboard, the back side (wood) of a rubber stamp or some other object to flatten it.

Also, unless you've purchased the type that specifically states that it doesn't need it, be sure you've sanded beforehand. I did a couple without sanding and they stuck together and I never could get them apart. They made great beads, though!

Lucky Squirrel is the manufacturer of Polyshrink. You can find a lot of info on their site, including some great galleries.

http://luckysquirrel.com/info_geninstructions.html

Don't give up! It can really be fun and it's very addicting.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-29-2005, 02:52 PM   #11  
Matboard Maniac

Did polyshrink for the first time in a shoebox swap last month.

We used the SU heat gun and the polyshrink curled right up. We kept heating after it curled and it flattened itself out again. :o

Maybe you didn't heat long enough??

Also, a few of the ladies have Marvy heat tools and could NOT get the polyshrink to work with the Marvy.

Don't give up!

D.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-29-2005, 03:01 PM   #12  
Glitter Guru

I use a heatgun and it will shrivel but it straightens itself out again....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-29-2005, 03:05 PM   #13  
Rubber Obsessor

I did mine in the oven with a piece of parchment paper under them and one on top. It kept the pieces from sticking together when they curled. Worked great.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-29-2005, 04:05 PM   #14  
Die Cut Diva

WOW! Thanks so much! I guess I wasn't heating long enough for it to flatten itself out. Also, I will try the oven.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-29-2005, 04:28 PM   #15  
Insane Embellisher

Hi Michelle!! By the way I love your name!! I use my heat gun all the time too!! It curls up, but keep heating it will flatten out!! :lol: :lol:
http://michellegruber.stampinup.net
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-29-2005, 05:05 PM   #16  
Embossing Fanatic

Default PolyShrink Blues

I had a ton of fun using PolyShrink last year. I made bracelets, pins, earrings, and wine charms. I posted 2 of my bracelets on the following site:

http://lorilynn.bc2va.org/cgi-bin/in...y=Gift_Gallery

A few things I learned along the way:
Use the heat gun against a metal surface....such as a metal tray. I don't have one, so I covered a piece of cardboard with aluminum foil and it works great!

Use a stylus to hold in place, flipping as you go so that you don't get a "poke" mark.

Heat until it flattens. It will curl, but you need to keep going!

When image is done shrinking and flattens, immediately, press something on top....I use a 4"x4" piece of cardboard.

The larger the polyshrink image, the more trouble you will have....smaller images work so much better!

An image with detail tends to curl upon itself. If you've looked at the bracelets on the link posted above, you'll notice I made one with Botanicals and one with Crayon Kids. The Crayon Kids bracelet is a fun bracelet to wear, but was a nightmare to make! The Botanicals bracelet was much, much easier to make with far less waste. Each square was punched with the largest square punch, rounded with the corner rounder. When shrunk I immediately pressed against a wooden ball to give it a domed or rounded effect.

I held a couple of classes using PolyShrink and found that everyone was much more successful with the punched out images (using the large square punch) than anything larger. We made wine charms using Close to Nature and were very successful, yet the charms made using Elegant Ornaments were somewhat more difficult!

Stamp with StazOn. Dries quickly. However, if you need more variety of colors, Craft Ink will work, but literally will take days to dry! With the StazOn, you do not need to sand the PolyShrink. With the Craft Ink, you will need to LIGHTLY sand the surface. Do not sand too much, or you will not get a clear image...it will blur!

My favorite method of coloring would have to be SU chalk Pastels. The colors are much more vibrant when shrunk. (See the Crayon Kids bracelet.)

Making pins with PolyShrink is loads of fun. Try layering them. To glue pieces on top and give it more dimension, use Crystal Effects. It's a great glue for this purpose and works really well.

Oh, and be sure to punch any holes needed BEFORE you shrink! Don't punch too close to the edge or they tend to open during the shrinking process.

A really fun thing to do (but really doesn't scan well) would be to brush a piece of prepared (punch and rounded, etc.) PolyShrink with your ink color and allow to dry. Then shrink. While still hot press into an uninked stamp, creating an impression. I made a pretty pair of dangling earrings this way....punched out with the large square punch and rounded the corners; sponged with the purple color StazOn; shrunk, and then pressed into the Filigree stamp. They look quite classy, if I may say so (don't scream "I made them!!!").

Have fun! Hope you'll post what you create.

BarbaraD
Reply With Quote Likes