Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

View Poll Results: What do you think of SU's new vinyl wall decor line?
Love it! Can't wait to buy! 290 33.30%
Not thrilled... wish it had been more stamping/scrapbooking stuff 440 50.52%
I haven't decided yet. 141 16.19%
Voters: 871. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-19-2008, 06:39 AM   #1  
Insane Embellisher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default POLL: SU's new vinyl wall decor

There's been lots of chatter about this topic on the boards, so I thought a poll would be in order... what do you think of SU's new vinyl home decor product line?

If you don't know about what I'm talking about, check out these threads here and here

Last edited by Paperdoll Steph; 06-19-2008 at 06:42 AM..
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-19-2008, 07:11 AM   #2  
Gallery Gazer

I think it's a little early to do a poll because the produt is not released to the public yet and the demos were just able to order it yesterday so no one has had a chance to use it. Once demos have theri hands on this and start decorating their stamp rooms and homes and posting photos we'll have a better idea.

Personally I was not going to order this product until I saw the images and then I had to have the Create definition for my stamp room, so I ordered that yesterday. I'm sure I'll be ordering more in July as well!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-19-2008, 07:20 AM   #3  
Crimping Master

I agree that's too early to tell. That said, I'm not that into it. I own a wishblade and some vinyl cling, which I have never gotten around to using (the vinyl NOT the WB). I think it's just not my personel taste. Plus, I truthfully wish SU choose a different route, venturing into other sides of the stamp industry (UM, alcohol markers, etc) rather than this.

JMHO
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-19-2008, 07:29 AM   #4  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I thought I would hate the stuff, but I saw the brochure and I like it. I will get something for my craft room. Maybe having something beautiful on the wall will turn on my stamping mojo, which has been missing................
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-19-2008, 07:41 AM   #5  
Glitter Guru

I'm with Diane & Joan . . . wasn't excited and then I saw the brochure. Now I can't wait to get some. LOVE the Create image and the Silhouette flowers. Vinyl home decore has been HUGE in Utah for years but I've never ventured into it . . . just didn't appeal to me. The SU designs have pushed me over to the dark side. :mrgreen:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-19-2008, 07:49 AM   #6  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by frankieView Post
Vinyl home decore has been HUGE in Utah for years
So why do you think they are getting into this now? Are they behind the 8-ball? Personally, I think this might appeal more to trendy home decorators than anything. I think they'd be really cute in a craft room but I still don't know that I'd put them on my walls. Plus, I have textured walls, not smooth ones like those going into newer homes, so I'm curious how they look on textured walls (and how they stick!).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-19-2008, 07:55 AM   #7  
Polyshrink Goddess

I haven't seen it, but not thrilled. I have no space for wall decor, its all taken up with stamping stuff! LOL!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-19-2008, 08:27 AM   #8  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE=frankie;10221787Vinyl home decore has been HUGE in Utah for years :[/QUOTE]

This is the first I have seen anything like this, funny how different things are in different areas! My first impression was not interested, but after seeing the brochure , there are some really cool things in there and I am sure that I will be getting quite a few of them, especially if they keep rolling them out. Initial impression is not always a permanent thing. I have a lot of stamps and related items in my bulging room that never in a million years would I have ever thought I would buy. All thanks to the talent in inspiration of the people here! So to those of you who have inspired me to step out of my comfort zone and try something new(and like it), Thank you!! And I look forward to all of the beautiful ideas that we will be seeing of these new items!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-19-2008, 08:31 AM   #9  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by NovellView Post
So why do you think they are getting into this now? Are they behind the 8-ball? Personally, I think this might appeal more to trendy home decorators than anything. I think they'd be really cute in a craft room but I still don't know that I'd put them on my walls. Plus, I have textured walls, not smooth ones like those going into newer homes, so I'm curious how they look on textured walls (and how they stick!).
Not nessarily behind the 8 ball. I think a lot of thought and research goes into a decision like this and I am sure it has been in the works for quite a while. I won't be able to use them on 90% of my walls either, but I am thinking more of other uses, picture frames, decorations, etc. I think it will be neat to see these in action, and even as a demo, I am holding off on ordering, simply because I would like to see a few more ideas before I try them. But I do think they have potential.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-19-2008, 08:47 AM   #10  
Stazon Splitcoast

I'll have to see the options first. That wall cling company that's already out didn't super thrill me. but I can see that some people will love it.

Are there images that match the stamps? You do'nt have to tell me, I can just wait until it's released.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-19-2008, 08:49 AM   #11  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 106 Likes on 67 Posts

Well I know some people think it's too early, but I can say that I don't have any interest in it. I live in an apartment and can't put that kind of stuff on my walls. So it doesn't really matter what cool designs or colors this stuff is available in, I have no use for it.

I am also not sure what this product has to do with STAMPIN' Up??? I think being able to decorate stamp room walls and the like is great, but I don't understand why STAMPIN Up is offering this type of product. If I can't use it on my projects, what is the point? I know there are going to be varying opinons, it just doesn't thrill me because I can't use it. I'd love to be able to purchase embossing folders that match SU sets, or more color choices, or something I can actually use in my projects. JMO

My Gallery| My My Blog

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-19-2008, 08:54 AM   #12  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 106 Likes on 67 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by stampwithdianeView Post
I think it's a little early to do a poll because the produt is not released to the public yet and the demos were just able to order it yesterday so no one has had a chance to use it. Once demos have theri hands on this and start decorating their stamp rooms and homes and posting photos we'll have a better idea.

Personally I was not going to order this product until I saw the images and then I had to have the Create definition for my stamp room, so I ordered that yesterday. I'm sure I'll be ordering more in July as well!
I don't think it is too early to ask what people think about SU selling such an item. As I said in my previous post. Doesn't really matter how cool it is. I already know I can't use it. So I'm not thrilled. Unless SU can change my apartment lease or guarantee that I can remove it without any trace, I can say without a doubt that it doesn't interest me.

It does sound like a cool product... just wish it was something I could use. Oh well, there is plenty of other stuff out there to spend my money on.

My Gallery| My My Blog

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-19-2008, 08:55 AM   #13  
Pearl-ExPert

I'm super excited about it. There are so many possibilities beyond walls. Many of the ones in the brochure match our stamp sets. For example I love the circle of flowers in Together Forever, and they have a larger one in the decor elements. I can't wait to put it on a painted wooden circle or square with my last intial inside. And, then I'm going to hang it with decorative ribbon in our guest bathroom. Something like that would also make a nice gift for a bride to be with her new last initial (if she is changing her name), and then you could make a matching monogram notecard set to go with it!

And, I want the create for our office/craft room

I'm thinking I'll be able to make all kinds of pretty Christmas presents with them!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-19-2008, 08:57 AM   #14  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by javagirl984View Post
I don't think it is too early to ask what people think about SU selling such an item. As I said in my previous post. Doesn't really matter how cool it is. I already know I can't use it. So I'm not thrilled. Unless SU can change my apartment lease or guarantee that I can remove it without any trace, I can say without a doubt that it doesn't interest me.

It does sound like a cool product... just wish it was something I could use. Oh well, there is plenty of other stuff out there to spend my money on.

I've seen people use stuff like this on a simple tile, and then they put the tile in a little aisle type stand, and it is a super cute decor item, or in a picture frame.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-19-2008, 09:29 AM   #15  
Rubber Obsessor

Not thrilled at all.
I LOVE stamping and that's why I order from SU! I would have loved more stamping/cardmaking/scrapbooking stuff.
Not at all interested in home decor..........not from SU! anyway as there are tons of other companies that offer that.
Vronica;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-19-2008, 09:43 AM   #16  
Insane Embellisher

I am thinking that this is going to be big - think about the possibilities for it. Kids rooms - their names on the wall or different words - Friends, Dream, Love, Laugh. Your car windows can now have a fun decal on them! Among all the other ideas I have been hearing and there are many floating about. I listed a few on my blog. I for one can't wait to see them and try them out. I was even thinking on my bathroom mirror would be nice.

What about stamping on them! I was thinking Stazon would work! That might be cute on words for my daughters room! The possibilities will be endless for sure.

Lets give it a try before we decide. I for one can't wait!

My Website
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-19-2008, 09:46 AM   #17  
Gabfest Goddess

I really wanted more in the scrapbooking area. At least they brought back the 12x12 individual colors of cardstock because of the outcry when they got rid of most of it, but they could have done soooooo much more to enhance their scrapbooking line - it needs some serious help. Vinyl on walls is getting away from the stamping/scrapbooking.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-19-2008, 09:49 AM   #18  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by stampwithdianeView Post
I just thought it would be fun to do a poll to see what were people's initial reactions to the new product line, and whether more people were excited about it or weren't interested, because it seems like people around here are pretty split on it. In marketing surveys, they ask all the time your thoughts on a product without doing full demonstrations. In one of the threads I listed in my OP there is a brochure link, too, so demos and some customers (like me) have had a chance to view the product.

Last edited by Paperdoll Steph; 06-19-2008 at 09:49 AM.. Reason: grammar error
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-19-2008, 10:51 AM   #19  
Polyshrink Goddess

I thought the stuff in the brochure was pretty. Not something I would use, but cute. Would I have rather had more stamping stuff, you betcha! It would not work in my house on my walls anyway.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-19-2008, 12:16 PM   #20  
Mad Swapper

Even if you are not thrilled with the new product line remember... we don't know what will be in the new catty. The way SU is talking about more new offerings to come, I am hopeful there will be lots of cool stuff.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-19-2008, 12:30 PM   #21  
Die Cut Diva

Not interested at ALL!

And I have seen vinyl clings to use on walls (and other places) for years as well in boutiques and magazines. I feel like it's a weird thing for SU to get into and just plain odd.

I don't think they are behind an 8-ball but I do think they are trying to make up for lost customers. Those that have left because of the economy, or simply because SU raises the prices but not the benefits like die cutting. And then when it IS die cut they charge even more. I suspect that this year has been VERY interesting for them financially with the changes in catalogs and everything.

I also think that this is a very quick and inexpensive way to make money because the images are already there, they don't have to hire new designers for them. Plus production is pretty small, it's just printed images. Everything done by machines, no wood to purchase or grow for them like stamps.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-19-2008, 12:39 PM   #22  
Gallery Gazer

My thoughts exactly - it's looks pretty but just not my style. I'm sure there must be a market though and I hope SU must success from this venture.

Quote:

Originally Posted by cydstampsView Post
I thought the stuff in the brochure was pretty. Not something I would use, but cute. Would I have rather had more stamping stuff, you betcha! It would not work in my house on my walls anyway.
SCS Member #772
My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-19-2008, 12:43 PM   #23  
Pearl-ExPert

OK, my first impression was that Uppercase Living already does it bigger and better, so why is SU getting into it?

And my second impression...
that "create" definition bugs me--how do you define create by using the word create? I just think it's dumb. Sorry to everyone who likes it :(
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-19-2008, 12:52 PM   #24  
Forum Fanatic

The vinyl clings are very pretty, but this new line reminds me of the Trading Spaces line of stamps and home decor items.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-19-2008, 01:24 PM   #25  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by ctabView Post
I'm super excited about it. There are so many possibilities beyond walls. Many of the ones in the brochure match our stamp sets. For example I love the circle of flowers in Together Forever, and they have a larger one in the decor elements. I can't wait to put it on a painted wooden circle or square with my last intial inside. And, then I'm going to hang it with decorative ribbon in our guest bathroom. Something like that would also make a nice gift for a bride to be with her new last initial (if she is changing her name), and then you could make a matching monogram notecard set to go with it!

And, I want the create for our office/craft room

I'm thinking I'll be able to make all kinds of pretty Christmas presents with them!
that's my theory! i can't wait to see them and be able to use them. i think they're a great addition to the SU! product line.
my etsy shop ;; my blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-19-2008, 01:39 PM   #26  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Originally Posted by NovellView Post
No, I don't think they're behind the 8-ball at all. What's been so poplular in the vinyl cling world so far has mainly been wall-words (quotes, phrases, names, etc.) and not a whole lot of great images. SU does wonderful artwork and to see that translated into something large enough to decorate a wall will be fantastic! As many others on other threads have said, this isn't something they've really seen in their neck of the woods so it will be something brand new in their area -- exciting!

Also, the designs aren't just for use on walls . . . . think picture frames, windows, wooden signs, tiles, mirrors, furniture, etc. Really, the possibilities are only limited by your imagination. SU is all about creativity and I think the vinyl decor is another great way to express that creativity. Even better, it's something you can enjoy looking at for a long time!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-19-2008, 01:42 PM   #27  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Originally Posted by phunkymamaView Post
OK, my first impression was that Uppercase Living already does it bigger and better, so why is SU getting into it?

And my second impression...
that "create" definition bugs me--how do you define create by using the word create? I just think it's dumb. Sorry to everyone who likes it :(
Granted UCL does it better right now . . . give SU a chance 'cause I really think they'll blow UCL away! SU has so much to offer because they have great artwork.

And as for the Create quote, I think it's awesome! It's going right into my scrap/stamp room because that's what I do in there . . . create!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-19-2008, 01:47 PM   #28  
Die Cut Diva

For those who haven't seen them before, here is a link. The first was the wall candy line which I saw in baby boutiques for about a year before wallies lined with them, then there are decals and MURALS:

http://www.wallies.com/list/new_viny..._murals/page-1

There are also TONS on ETSY which are really cool and have been around for a while:

http://www.etsy.com/search_results.p...ery=wall+vinyl
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-19-2008, 01:55 PM   #29  
Die Cut Diva

I think the only ones dh would want to put up in the house are these: http://www.fathead.com/?cm_mmc=googl...20080619215351
:-)

That said, I don't know what I think of them. It does seem like a strange direction for SU to go towards but there's obviously a market for it.

Check out my blog

Here's my gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-19-2008, 02:02 PM   #30  
Crimping Master

IMHO.....Im not interested in wall coverings at all......just stamping items.

Lori
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-19-2008, 02:36 PM   #31  
Die Cut Diva

Default Hmph.

Pardon my frank and forthright opinion:

I think this is just plain stupid.

Gasoline right now is nearly $4.50/gal right now. The economy has everyone scared. Flooding in the midwest is only going to drive prices on food and fuel even higher by fall. Flower gardens are being plowed under and replaced by vegetable gardens. People are being *very* discerning with the small amount of "disposable" income they have to spend on extras. Those of us who stamp have already cut back. And right *now* they choose to release vinyl wall clings? Doesn't strike me as a very sound business decision...whether the catalog was planned six months ago or not!

And another thing: If I was a still a demo and spent two or three weeks hyping up a *NEW* product line for them to customers, I would have been downright *pissed*. As a stamper/scrapbooker, the words "New Product Line" means something innovative in the stamping and scrapbooking realm: A hot new variety of ink that turns to edible cheese dust...lickable, chocolate-flavored buttons...self-cleaning stamps. I am certainly not looking to my rubber stamp company to for *home decor* other than how I can use their products to make something for my home that is 100% handcrafted and fits my color scheme and tastes.

I honestly can't think of one single former customer that would be interested in this crap.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-19-2008, 02:41 PM   #32  
Forum Fanatic

I think they are very pretty, but I would not buy them. I'm terrible at home decor and wouldn't have a clue what to do with them. It seems strange SU is putting them out, but SU has branched from stamping a lot (rub ons? That's the opposite of stamping.) Then again, my first exposure to stamping was D.O.T.S- and they've taken stamping entirely out of their name and rebranded themselves as scrapbooking with stamps too.

As for the create definition- I like the idea, but the fact that the word "create" appears in the definition is annoying and just seems lazy to me, like they couldn't actually think of a way to define it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-19-2008, 02:43 PM   #33  
scrapperazzi

I'm very excited about them.

I don't understand why people are so upset that they aren't "stamping/scrapping" related, this has nothing to do with the new catty that's coming out.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-19-2008, 02:43 PM   #34  
dal
Kookie Creator

When I first read about this I was not at all interested, then I saw the brochure and now I am really not interested! I like most of the images they used, but would never put them on my wall.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-19-2008, 03:00 PM   #35  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by MewsinView Post
...I don't understand why people are so upset that they aren't "stamping/scrapping" related, this has nothing to do with the new catty that's coming out...
IMNSHO: It's because they are branding them under the SU! umbrella. The Gardner's own Clearsnap. They have maintained two separate companies, two separate brands. Why not give these wall clinging-thingeys their own separate brand? What is the purpose of keeping them under the SU! brand? Why not brand them differently but tage them with: "From the company that brought you Stampin' Up! and Cats Eyes..."

That's what is making me all pissy about it. ~ kbc
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-19-2008, 03:18 PM   #36  
Pearl-ExPert

I can see putting some in the kids rooms and my craft room. Not so much the regular living areas though. Possibly the kitchen around the message board community area.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-19-2008, 03:21 PM   #37  
Mad Swapper

Well I'm one of the excited people. I think the reason it's part of SU is that it's the same images as their stamps. I think it's smart marketing on their part and will give demos a lot of new customers who aren't the crafty type. I already have ideas for my walls, but I've also heard great ideas like putting them on mirrors, glass shower doors, even refrigerators.

I totally get people being disappointed because they were hoping for something else, but I guess I am surprised by the strong angry responses to this announcement. I don't see how it hurts anything.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-19-2008, 03:30 PM   #38  
Polyshrink Goddess

I think most people are very concerned about the economy but this was probably in the works long before gas was over $4 a gallon. I do think most people are tightening their belt however I live in a state with an unemployment rate over 8% and I still see long lines at Starbucks for $4 coffees as well as higher end department stores so apparently there are a lot of folks that still have discretionary income despite the economy.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Vintage RedheadView Post
Pardon my frank and forthright opinion:

I think this is just plain stupid.

Gasoline right now is nearly $4.50/gal right now. The economy has everyone scared. Flooding in the midwest is only going to drive prices on food and fuel even higher by fall. Flower gardens are being plowed under and replaced by vegetable gardens. People are being *very* discerning with the small amount of "disposable" income they have to spend on extras. Those of us who stamp have already cut back. And right *now* they choose to release vinyl wall clings? Doesn't strike me as a very sound business decision...whether the catalog was planned six months ago or not!

And another thing: If I was a still a demo and spent two or three weeks hyping up a *NEW* product line for them to customers, I would have been downright *pissed*. As a stamper/scrapbooker, the words "New Product Line" means something innovative in the stamping and scrapbooking realm: A hot new variety of ink that turns to edible cheese dust...lickable, chocolate-flavored buttons...self-cleaning stamps. I am certainly not looking to my rubber stamp company to for *home decor* other than how I can use their products to make something for my home that is 100% handcrafted and fits my color scheme and tastes.

I honestly can't think of one single former customer that would be interested in this crap.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-19-2008, 03:40 PM   #39  
Stazon Splitcoast

I'm sure lots of folks (those who can't craft... HA!) will LOVE these things. Not me. Not my thing at all. I'd rather paint on my walls, rag roll a 2nd color over, or use a feather duster and dab it on, or sponge it... or lots of other creative things.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-19-2008, 03:47 PM   #40  
Stampin' Fool

I think a lot of people are just plain missing the point - this is a NEW PRODUCT line added to Stampin' Up! If it was more scrapbook/stamping stuff then it wouldn't be "new" would it? There will be new stamps & new scrapbooking stuff out in the new catalog in August. Until then this is something new for us to consider. I personally have mixed feelings about how many of these you can sell to any individual customer but I like them and I don't feel that they are that big of a leap from stamping. BTW I have heard from several of my customers who are quite excited about the whole thing.

My teeny, tiny, someday it might be a GALLERY
Reply With Quote Likes