Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 08-02-2008, 09:55 AM   #1  
Compulsive Stamper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Portland, OR

So... this may not be considered a "stamping" thread... but I just found out a week ago that we are moving to Portland, OR at the beginning of Sept. Is there anyone from there? I was wanting to know a few questions...
Is there a bad side of town to avoid?
Pediatrician?
Christian church?
Scrapbook store? (top priority!...j/k) I need to make some friends so if they have crop nights, that would be good...
SuperTarget?
Anything I should know about?

Any help would be appreciated!

Jenny

http://redheadjenny.blogspot.com/
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-02-2008, 10:33 AM   #2  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Contacts -- two ways

Hello Jenny,
You will find lots of Splitcoast friends in the Portland area. Go to this thread OR/WA Swap to see what's coming in October.

Or try this...
Click on Members List (just above this thread).
Click on Search Members.
Click on Advanced Search.
Type Portland OR into the location box.

That returns about a dozen names. Then try just the word Oregon and it will come up with nearly 400 names.

If you are still looking for a place to live, you might search in Vancouver, Washington. Lots of people commute. Problem is, LOTS of people commute and the traffic can be horrendous.

May God bless you and your family in your new "adventure."
John 3:16
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-02-2008, 11:35 AM   #3  
Kookie Creator

Hi Jenny,

I'm sure you'll love Portland. It's a great city to live in! What area of Portland will you be moving to? We do have some good LSS here, also at least one giant Joann's (probably more, but there's just one I go to) and a number of Michael's. Paper Zone is a great place for paper, and they have some scrapbooking and stamping supplies too. They have a 40% off paper sale in February (sign up for their sales e-mails and you'll get a coupon for it). There is also Arvey Office Supply right by Paper Zone. I'm not sure what a "Super" Target is, but there are a lot of Target stores around.

Best of luck on your move here,

Lisa
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-02-2008, 01:23 PM   #4  
Kookie Creator

welcome to portland. you are going to love it here. this is the best time of year, IMO, in the great northwest.

we have craftwarehouse, joann's, michaels, paper zone, and plenty of LSS. just depends on where you are living.

i love my church and if you are interested in knowing more about the area, pm me. would love to help you adjust to the move.

again, welcome. you are going to love it here.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-02-2008, 10:05 PM   #5  
Pearl-ExPert

Hi! I'm from Vancouver, Washington which is across the bridge from Portland- and where SCS originated! Some lovely things about Portland are...
Powell's Book Store, the beautiful Waterfront Park, and the Farmer's Market. Portland is very kid friendly. Great restaurants and shopping. East Hill is a popular church in the Gresham area. Good luck to you! Where are you moving from?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-04-2008, 07:47 AM   #6  
Compulsive Stamper

Thank you everyone for your helpful information. We are still looking for a place to live, will move at the first of of sept. We're looking at apartments that seem to be west of downtown, near Beaverton? We can't move too far away because my husband has to ride the public transportation to downtown.
We're moving from Oklahoma, so it's a big long move. Anyway, thanks again for the help!
P.S. A SuperTarget is like a wal-mart Supercenter, but better!

http://redheadjenny.blogspot.com/
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-04-2008, 06:42 PM   #7  
Matboard Maniac

Another Welcome to the Rose City. We absolutely love the city. Beaverton is a fine place to live. You will love the Farmers Market on Saturdays. There are also many reasonable apartments closer to the city and easy to get downtown on the bus or MAX line. It kind of depends on what you like to do and if you have kids - certainly the schools are something to consider.

There are tons of churches - but I personally am not a member of any particular congregation so can't be of much help.

No Super Target, but two Target stores close to Beaverton. Beaverton has a rubber stamp store called Peddlers Pack and not too far from Beaverton (further west) there is a Craft World.

If you have any specific questions - PM me and I'll do what I can to tell you about the city.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-04-2008, 07:06 PM   #8  
Rubber Obsessor

Welcome to Portland! I live in Beaverton and most of it is really nice. Traffic driving into downtown Portland from Beaverton can be a little bit of a pain...but in my opinion the west side is the nicest. I work nights near downtown, so traffic for me isn't a problem. I guess it also depends were exactly you may be going.
ETA: I see now that you are planning on public transportation, so not so much of a problem. There are many apartment complexes right off of the MAX line in Beaverton and of course Trimet buses can get you there as well.

I have a fantastic pediatrician in Beaverton... Metropolitan Pediatrics Westside (located off of Cornell Blvd.) has several that are great. They have a website you can google. I have 2 kids that I take there and actually switched to them after the 1st pediatrician we had with our first.

We go to Portland First Church of the Nazarene and love it. It's located right off of Hwy 26 (the Hwy leading into downtown from the Beaverton area). They are very family oriented and great in the children's dept. I don't know if you are looking for something different, but we really like it there. There are MANY christian churches though...we went to several after moving just "trying" them out for a good fit. I really think you just have to check everyone out and see what you like.

There is a Craft Warehouse (I think that is what someone meant by Craft World) off of 185th Ave. (It may be considered Hillsboro and not Beaverton, but it is only about 1-2 miles off Hwy 26). There are several Jo-Anns Superstores around, as well as Michael's. Peddler's Pack is a good stamping store, but really has limited scrapbooking supplies. Whimzees Scrapbook Studio is a great scrapbook store in Beaverton on Shaw St. off Tualatin Valley Hwy that has classes/scrap nights. I haven't been to those, but the store is well stocked and she keeps current products.

As someone else said, there are several Targets...no super-Targets in the Beaverton area. I think there is one in the Jantzen Beach area (near Vancouver, WA)...not exactly close (about 30-45 minutes from the Beaverton area).

Also, as someone said there are great Farmer's Markets in the area. They have one near the public library in Beaverton and it is great! There are also lots of U-pick farms for lots of produce.

Check out Tualatin Valley Parks and Recreation for activities for your kids. They have several pools and gyms with all sorts of activities. Depending on where you live, you may get "in-district" pricing which is very economical. How old are you kids? Just trying to think of activities and such for them.

HTH! Let me know if you want any other information. I would be glad to help you out!

Last edited by shoyt; 08-04-2008 at 07:11 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes