Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 03-04-2007, 03:22 PM   #1  
Forum Fanatic

Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Post from Sat Mar 3 re: JoAnn.com security issue

Hi! I was reading a post on one of the forums on SCS last night and came upon a thread where two SCSers were incredibly and understandibly upset because they were ordering from Joanns on line and had checked their personal accounts and discovered that the other persons information (including that other person's cc#) was in THEIR account!!! One of the SCSers was from the UK and the other SCSer was from the US and they were posting on the thread while they were trying to get the problem resolved on the phone with someone at JoAnns....they were both getting the line that they were imagining the security breach, but each person was looking at the other's personal info!

Does anyone remember seeing this discussion yesterday (Sat) or last night on this forum or another forum here at SCS? I'm wanting to share it with my buddies on the FlyBaby Forum and now I can't find it.....can anyone help me?

Thanks!

Susy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2007, 03:44 PM   #2  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Giant Scallop Punches in at Joanns.com!!

I hope Joanns takes our concerns seriously. I'd like to know if the ladies involved have more follow-ups on their response to what happened.

Want to join the SCS Fan Club?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2007, 03:58 PM   #3  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boss
Hi! I was reading a post on one of the forums on SCS last night and came upon a thread where two SCSers were incredibly and understandibly upset because they were ordering from Joanns on line and had checked their personal accounts and discovered that the other persons information (including that other person's cc#) was in THEIR account!!! One of the SCSers was from the UK and the other SCSer was from the US and they were posting on the thread while they were trying to get the problem resolved on the phone with someone at JoAnns....they were both getting the line that they were imagining the security breach, but each person was looking at the other's personal info!

Does anyone remember seeing this discussion yesterday (Sat) or last night on this forum or another forum here at SCS? I'm wanting to share it with my buddies on the FlyBaby Forum and now I can't find it.....can anyone help me?

Thanks!

Susy

BUMP.....I'm curious!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2007, 04:26 PM   #4  
Insane Embellisher

I'd like to know what happened too since I am ordering from outside the US and currently have a Feb 27 order still being processed. Joann's email stated my CC info had a problem had 3 days to email or call. I called the bank, but bank says my credit is fine and that joann.com never even posted. Used my card in various online transactions with no problem. I was able to contact joann customer care after 3 days - the hold time is l-o-n-g. I was able to speak to a nice lady and I told her about the problem. She told me, check back after 45 minutes or wait for an email saying if it was ok or not. Received another email saying the same thing as the first one. argh! I called bank again and they're really puzzled - Joann.com never posted anything. It's frustrating. I emailed them again, this time saying I changed the cc and if they could try using that one. This time I got an email with ticket number thanking me for contacting them and they will get back to me soon. I even made a new order using a different cc just to check if it will go through..well, they're both still *being prcessed* I have been ordering online since 2005 and have been a happy customer till now...:(
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2007, 04:33 PM   #5  
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by avonlea
Giant Scallop Punches in at Joanns.com!!

I hope Joanns takes our concerns seriously. I'd like to know if the ladies involved have more follow-ups on their response to what happened.
Thanks for posting the link - you're very nice to find it for me! Sounds like the problem discussed on the thread might be more widespread than first anticipated....I'm a little nervous now after having placed an order a week ago - how do I know I'm not an unsupecting victim of this as well? :rolleyes: Yikes!

I'll watch for more develpments on this issue. Appreciate your help!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2007, 05:51 PM   #6  
Stampin' Fool

Are ya'll absolutely sure this email from JoAnn's isn't really from a hacker? They can be pretty doggone slick..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2007, 06:23 PM   #7  
Stazon Splitcoast

Is it possible that the original poster's link took people to the secured page where they'd already filled in their info? I know there have been times when I've followed someone's link to an online store, only to find that all of their shopping cart contents were displayed for me, as if I were them!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2007, 06:28 PM   #8  
clean and krafty

Send a message via Skype™ to willosmama

Quote:

Originally Posted by MSBetsyZ
Is it possible that the original poster's link took people to the secured page where they'd already filled in their info? I know there have been times when I've followed someone's link to an online store, only to find that all of their shopping cart contents were displayed for me, as if I were them!
It's totally possible that the link took them to a secure personal page, but that's the security concern. It shouldn't have. I remember it happening to AmyR awhile back, and she didn't realize it until someone pm'd her and told her it said her name. I will be safely ordering from the checkout of the brick and mortar store!!;)

Spellbinders DT Coordinator

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2007, 06:30 PM   #9  
Crimping Master

After reading that thread there were other SCS'ers that came forward claiming the same thing has happened to them. That is pretty scary and pathetic that Jo's is blowing it off and claiming it didn't happen. For such a big corporate company to have security issues with online ordering is a lawsuit waiting to happen. JMHO
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2007, 07:17 PM   #10  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by MSBetsyZ
I remember hotwheels having a similar concern about an e-mailed link she posted. Security worked as it should have, though, and no one that we know of had access to her e-mail. The same thing should have happened here, but apparently it didn't and that is a security lapse on joann.com's part. Anyone on a computer other than the one used to sign into the account in the first place should have gotten a timeout error and a request to log in again.

My Stampin' Up! blog
"I'm a time traveler -- I point and laugh at archaeologists." 10th Doctor, "Silence in the Library"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-05-2007, 05:43 AM   #11  
Pearl-ExPert

Well, I just went into Joann.com and deleted my credit card information anyway...

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-05-2007, 06:17 AM   #12  
Forum Fanatic

Question for those of you who do a lot of on-line buying and are computer savvy as well - when I do a purchase on-line and am given the choice to purchase or "set up an account" and then purchase, I always choose to just purchase, with no account....my question is, is my info still stored at the website or is it deleted right after the transaction is completed? Should I go back to all the places I have purchased from on-line and ask them to delete my account information? I am totally clueless about this kind of stuff and need some expert advice. :confused: Advice anyone?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-05-2007, 06:26 AM   #13  
Glitter Guru

I think part of it may be if you choose to stay logged into your account and then send a link from you account to someone else....does that make sense...sorta like on your email accounts you can just stay logged in without entering your email name and the type in passward...you just go to your mailbox instead if you choose to stay logged in...I think Joanns has this option as well.

Mindy

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-05-2007, 07:57 AM   #14  
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by msdetloff
I think part of it may be if you choose to stay logged into your account and then send a link from you account to someone else....does that make sense...sorta like on your email accounts you can just stay logged in without entering your email name and the type in passward...you just go to your mailbox instead if you choose to stay logged in...I think Joanns has this option as well.

Mindy
Ok, that makes sense to me! Being computer-clueless, I have never even thought to do this, so maybe my ignorance has helped me stay out of trouble. ;) Hope so! Thanks for the info.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-06-2007, 10:10 AM   #15  
Chattin' & Sippin' in SPAM-Land

Quote:

Originally Posted by lilian
I'd like to know what happened too since I am ordering from outside the US and currently have a Feb 27 order still being processed. Joann's email stated my CC info had a problem had 3 days to email or call. I called the bank, but bank says my credit is fine and that joann.com never even posted. Used my card in various online transactions with no problem. I was able to contact joann customer care after 3 days - the hold time is l-o-n-g. I was able to speak to a nice lady and I told her about the problem. She told me, check back after 45 minutes or wait for an email saying if it was ok or not. Received another email saying the same thing as the first one. argh! I called bank again and they're really puzzled - Joann.com never posted anything. It's frustrating. I emailed them again, this time saying I changed the cc and if they could try using that one. This time I got an email with ticket number thanking me for contacting them and they will get back to me soon. I even made a new order using a different cc just to check if it will go through..well, they're both still *being prcessed* I have been ordering online since 2005 and have been a happy customer till now...:(
I got the SAME E-MAIL stating there was a problem with my card. I tried calling and got a recording saying their offices were "unexpectedly, temporarily closed" (during the hours the e-mail said I had to call). I e-mailed them back and told them that I tried calling and got the recording and had found the items at their store instead and to just cancel the order, I haven't had any response from them. It was only a $7 order and the shipping was free, so if they still send it, it's not a big deal, but apparently they had some MAJOR issues at JoAnn.com over the weekend!!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes