Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 05-09-2024, 05:06 AM   #1  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 2,860 Likes on 1,948 Posts
Default Postage Increase July 14, 2024

Postage is going up. Purchase your Forever stamps soon before the increase. It is going up 5 cents for a regular forever postage stamp. International stamps are going up 10 cents. https://about.usps.com/newsroom/nati...-july-2024.htm
LisaFeatured Stamper #671Love sending BRAK cards. Dirty Dozen Alumni.CC927 Favorite
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 2 users liked this post by lovinpaper:
DancesWithHooves (05-13-2024), wavejumper (05-15-2024)
Old 05-09-2024, 05:17 AM   #2  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 385 Likes on 208 Posts

Wow! I've made a note to buy more stamps before July 14th. Thanks for the info, Lisa.
Reply With Quote Likes
The following users liked this post:
lovinpaper (05-09-2024)
Old 05-09-2024, 06:18 AM   #3  
Glitter Queen

Received 35 Likes on 10 Posts

This is further frustrating to me because mail delivery and accuracy in our area is FAR worse than it used to be! Yes, I'm still grateful that I can send and receive your average envelope for less than a dollar. But, the success rate of that actually happening is much lower now. It feels like such a gamble. I don't want to stop making and sending cards!
And, when I get a late fee for a bill I never received, I'm not a happy camper! Yes, I still like to receive them via snail mail, but am having to rethink that now. Definitely pay online due to delivery concerns, too.
Sorry....rant over!
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 5 users liked this post by InkyTexan:
janesprando (05-15-2024), lovinpaper (05-09-2024), OneDevotedDame (05-09-2024), Sacylady13 (05-15-2024), skm330mks (05-15-2024)
Old 05-09-2024, 07:50 AM   #4  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 120 Likes on 56 Posts

Feels like the last increase was just a few months ago...? Or maybe my brain is broken, and it's been a year...?
Reply With Quote Likes
cnsteele (05-09-2024)
Old 05-09-2024, 08:10 AM   #5  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Quote:

Originally Posted by OneDevotedDameView Post
Feels like the last increase was just a few months ago...? Or maybe my brain is broken, and it's been a year...?
It was in January. They are on a 10 year plan to make the postal service more productive. I think they are on the plan to make it non-existent.
LisaFeatured Stamper #671Love sending BRAK cards. Dirty Dozen Alumni.CC927 Favorite
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 9 users liked this post by lovinpaper:
berlycece (05-15-2024), Cindy H. (05-15-2024), cjzim (05-19-2024), cnsteele (05-09-2024), InkyTexan (05-09-2024), OneDevotedDame (05-09-2024), Paula in GA (05-09-2024), pepperann (05-13-2024), SherryBee (05-15-2024)
Old 05-09-2024, 10:46 AM   #6  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 1,408 Likes on 532 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by InkyTexanView Post
This is further frustrating to me because mail delivery and accuracy in our area is FAR worse than it used to be! Yes, I'm still grateful that I can send and receive your average envelope for less than a dollar. But, the success rate of that actually happening is much lower now. It feels like such a gamble. I don't want to stop making and sending cards!
And, when I get a late fee for a bill I never received, I'm not a happy camper! Yes, I still like to receive them via snail mail, but am having to rethink that now. Definitely pay online due to delivery concerns, too.
Sorry....rant over!
I was at the post office once and a woman/customer was telling the postal clerk that she got charged a late fee because of a bill the post office never delivered. In fact, the woman was there with the specific purpose of obtaining some sort of proof from the post office that they never delivered the bill so that the late fee would be reversed. Of course, the postal clerk told her they could not give her any such thing. The woman was SO angry and the postal clerk's answer was that she should mail in a check to the utility company a week before the due date with what she thought would be the amount of her bill and anything over the actual amount would just be credited to the following month's bill. WHAT?!?
A customer standing in line behind this poor woman said, "Just get the bill sent to your email address, auto-pay it, and forget about using the post office totally. If they're this unreliable, they don't deserve your business." Good advice, but I do want them to stick around because I love mailing cards!
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 4 users liked this post by cnsteele:
InkyTexan (05-09-2024), OneDevotedDame (05-09-2024), Paula in GA (05-31-2024), pepperann (05-13-2024)
Old 05-15-2024, 02:59 AM   #7  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 27 Likes on 13 Posts

First class letters are now the equivalent of $1.70 in the UK.

Lynda
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-15-2024, 04:11 AM   #8  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 743 Likes on 362 Posts

Thanks for the heads up. Sigh....
They are losing 5 billon again this year....can't imagine why....moving to more package centric-if that is what got us the cheaper package rate ground advantage finally, at least that came out of it. It was ridiculous being forced into priority for so long.

I wonder how much of their mail is us sending cards? (and junk mail) 😊

I started paying online due the corner mailbox fishing where they fish the mail out and play games with with our checks. Big around here. They want us to bring mail to the stations directly now. To make sure the invoice is valid I go directly to the source and pay there because yes, there are online scammers too. It is depressing/exhausting.
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 3 users liked this post by wavejumper:
cjzim (05-19-2024), InkyTexan (05-15-2024), OneDevotedDame (05-15-2024)
Old 05-15-2024, 05:42 AM   #9  
Embossing Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 3 Posts

I have charged everything to my credit card for years. My husband & I used to spend the summer in our RV traveling and couldn't get the mail easily. So that is what we did. It also insured that we got money back on what we spent which was a plus. I charge everything and pay in full once a month. All of my mail is just junk and Medical related items like what was spent for Medicare after a visit.
Adding 5 cents 2 or 3 times a year is not cutting it I reduced my Christmas card list last year because I am on SS and not rolling in money.
They should charge the junk mail senders more. Why charge us more so they can send us junk we don't want anyway.
Most of our mail goes through Houston which is having a horrendous time getting mail out. I have had things late by a month. When you use a trace to see where the package is the message says it is in Houston or Missour City. Ridiculous. They are buying more huge machines to hurry things up but it will take months and months to catch up.
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 2 users liked this post by papernut123:
clsteinbeck (05-15-2024), Paula in GA (05-31-2024)
Old 05-15-2024, 05:48 AM   #10  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by lyndaejaneView Post
First class letters are now the equivalent of $1.70 in the UK.

Lynda
How much does it cost, in the UK, to send an A7 or A9 card?

I know that almost every time I have something shipped from the UK, the fee seems fairly reasonable (it's sometimes less than what I'd pay here in the USA). Which is nuts.

Edited to add:

Quote:

Originally Posted by papernut123View Post
Adding 5 cents 2 or 3 times a year is not cutting it I reduced my Christmas card list last year because I am on SS and not rolling in money.
I did this, as well, because I use the butterfly stamps and couldn't justify $40 in postage alone. I'm considering using the regular stamps this year.... Maybe a mix....

Quote:

They should charge the junk mail senders more. Why charge us more so they can send us junk we don't want anyway.
Yes! I love this idea!

Quote:

Most of our mail goes through Houston which is having a horrendous time getting mail out. I have had things late by a month.
Yep, I noticed this a few months ago.... I don't live in Houston, but I ordered something from Etsy that shipped from a north Houston suburb, got rerouted down south (opposite direction from me), and then got lost for a few weeks. I submitted a lost mail claim, and it was eventually found. Too late for the birthday present I was hoping for, and I order things at least a month in advance.

Last edited by OneDevotedDame; 05-15-2024 at 05:53 AM.. Reason: add quote
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-15-2024, 10:47 AM   #11  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

It WAS...the beginning of the year, If I recall...it's putting a damper on this cardmaker's habit, er...hobby!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-15-2024, 12:16 PM   #12  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Quote:

Originally Posted by JannaramaView Post
It WAS...the beginning of the year, If I recall...it's putting a damper on this cardmaker's habit, er...hobby!!
Postage going up January 21 2024 by mac4551 at Splitcoaststampers

Yes, it was January 21. I agree with the damper!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-16-2024, 03:50 AM   #13  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 1,408 Likes on 532 Posts

I read that the post office is raising rates every January and July. They've been doing that for the last few years and I don't know how long they plan to continue this schedule of rate increases. The cutie-patootie stamp designs the USPS keeps rolling out keeps my buying, though! Good strategy on their part!
Reply With Quote Likes
OneDevotedDame (05-16-2024)
Old 05-19-2024, 12:59 PM   #14  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 385 Likes on 208 Posts

I have reduced the number of cards that I send. I think a few more will be reduced this year. So, for the family and friends who I never hear from - you may not be getting cards from me. Just saying.
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 4 users liked this post by Arlene_C:
InkyTexan (05-19-2024), lesliespringer (05-19-2024), lovinpaper (05-19-2024), Paula in GA (05-31-2024)
Old 05-19-2024, 01:03 PM   #15  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arlene_CView Post
I have reduced the number of cards that I send. I think a few more will be reduced this year. So, for the family and friends who I never hear from - you may not be getting cards from me. Just saying.
I agree! Even though I purchased more postage stamps and envelopes, I do not know how many pieces of mail I will be sending. I do well with birthdays, but not always other things.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-19-2024, 02:30 PM   #16  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arlene_CView Post
I did this last year, and wouldn't ya know, I got 3 or 4 cards from people I hadn't heard from in forever. :-/ Sigh.
Reply With Quote Likes