Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 01-31-2005, 11:21 AM   #1  
Mad Swapper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default prismacolor pencils questions???

ok, so I've been reading so much about the prismacolor pencils lately so i have a few questions.

first: is the deal everyone's geeting at viking $56.98 plus another $20 off of that so they're $36.98 or is the $56.98 the price with the $20 off? and how do you get the $20 off??

second: why are prismacolor pencils so wonderful?? I really don't know much about color pencils. are there techniques you can do with them that you can't do with other kinds of pencils, or are they just a better overall quality? what do you all use them for? what am I missing here? do I need these?

I posted these Q's on another thread, but I'm afraid they're being overlooked. so if you know please help. I'm trying to decide if I need to get these or not, and since the rebate ends today I'm hoping to decide soon! thanks
Michelle
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-31-2005, 12:12 PM   #2  
Pearl-ExPert

Default Re: prismacolor pencils questions???

Quote:

Originally Posted by mooshie_stamps
second: why are prismacolor pencils so wonderful?? I really don't know much about color pencils. are there techniques you can do with them that you can't do with other kinds of pencils, or are they just a better overall quality? what do you all use them for? what am I missing here? do I need these?
They're an artist quality soft lead colored pencil. What this means is that the lead is softer than say, Crayola pencils. The pigment is ground finer and more evenly dispursed in the lead. They're also available individually...

I got mine while I was in college (as an art major) and I like them.

The colors blend together and go on thickly for a solid color. You can also use odorless mineral spirits to blend the strokes together for a more even color than you can usually get with colored pencils. I believe that this is the technique that got everyone turned on to Prismacolors.

Unless you have to have every toy or color all the time you don't *need* them...but they're nice to have

I have no idea about the rebates, though, sorry!
Heather, proud SCS member #132
Gallery
- Blog

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-31-2005, 01:38 PM   #3  
Mad Swapper

well, I couldn't figure out the ordering online, but I just called and ordered the prismacolor pencils over the phone, and with the coupon code I got the pencils for $36.98 (that's only $0.31 per pencil!!). so that answers the cost question I had.

now I have a new question.

the prismacolor rebate is good for purchases through today. well I orderd today, so that should count, but my order won't get here till next week. how can I get the rebate?? anyone know a sneeky trick?? I did technically purchase the pencils today, so I feel like I should be able to get the rebate too, but how?? I don't know... they're still a good deal, but I like the price even better w/ the rebate! (then they're only like $0.10 each or something like that).

so if anyone knows a magic trick please share!
Michelle
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-31-2005, 01:44 PM   #4  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Is it the end of the rebate period, or purchase by period? That makes a difference. I'd say if it is the end of the purchase period, you'll have a bit of time to mail your rebate in (a form should come with your pencils when you get them). If it is the end of the rebate period, I would think you are out of luck, but not real sure.

You will LOVE them, they are awesome pencils!

Valerie

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-31-2005, 01:48 PM   #5  
Compulsive Stamper

I'm awaiting my shipment of Prismacolors also. The rebate form I got from the craft store reads "for qualifying purchases made from 11/1/04 through 2/7.....Postmarked by 2/14/05".

When I called Viking they told me it should be mailed out by 2/5.
I'm crossing my fingers that I receive them before the 14th so I can get the additional $25 off.
Lisa
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-31-2005, 01:59 PM   #6  
Hardware Hotshot

Congratulations girls for getting the great deal on the pencils, hopefully you will get the rebate as well.
I am attaching an instruction sheet here to you all, which I feel should be sent out with the pencils, on how to sharpen them. I just received it today after I sent 2 pencils back that were damaged when I opened my box. It only took them 8 days from the time I sent them until they were returned to me with a couple of freebees, a marker and extra fine tip colored pen and these instructions on the care of the pencils.
Enjoy your pencils, I love mine.
Andrea
Attached Files
File Type: doc Care_and_Handling_of_Coloring_Pencils_746.doc (21.5 KB, 54 views)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-31-2005, 02:10 PM   #7  
Mad Swapper

thanks for the tips! can't wait to get mine! but with all this sharpening talk it makes me wonder?? as I've never really looked into colorpencils much until today I've gotta wonder... do the prismacolor pencils come unsharpened? do I have to sharpen 120 pencils with a makeup pencil sharpener?? not that I can't or won't but I've gotta wonder thanks
Michelle
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-31-2005, 02:22 PM   #8  
Crimping Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My rebate form said it was valid for purchases made 11/1/04 through 1/31/05 only & requests must be postmarked by 1/31/05 and rec'd by 2/15/05.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-31-2005, 02:40 PM   #9  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Swapper of the Month June 2012

Received 217 Likes on 123 Posts

I recently purchased the 48 count Prismacolor pencils...the tin they were packaged in had a small silver "precision" sharpener in it; that's what I used to sharpen all 48; it took about 20 minutes and a very sore thumb from turning the pencils! But, that little sharpener did a great job and the shavings were very thin so I know the color of each pencil wasn't damaged during the process.

I did "try" to use a new electric sharpener...it kind of just chewed and chewed and didn't sharpen at all. The color on that pencil was damaged in the area of the "chewing." But, once I got beyond the chew mark, it sharpened great with the little sharpener. :lol:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-31-2005, 02:40 PM   #10  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by mooshie_stamps
thanks for the tips! can't wait to get mine! but with all this sharpening talk it makes me wonder?? as I've never really looked into colorpencils much until today I've gotta wonder... do the prismacolor pencils come unsharpened? do I have to sharpen 120 pencils with a makeup pencil sharpener?? not that I can't or won't but I've gotta wonder thanks
Michelle
Yes, they come unsharpened. I used to sharpen mine as I wanted to use them...I still have a few that have never been sharpened. (And I've cheated and used a mechanical sharpener, especially when I had a bunch to do at once.)
Heather, proud SCS member #132
Gallery
- Blog

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-31-2005, 03:26 PM   #11  
Hardware Hotshot

How many pencils are you all getting for this price and where? I thought I had found a good deal on the 96 pencil set for $71 but that price is great. I just checked the Viking Office Products site but the pencils were way expensive.

Victoria
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-31-2005, 04:31 PM   #12  
Rubber Obsessor

You have to use the special codes at Viking. For the Prismacolor 120 pcs set is QL2-3602, $56.98.
Reply With Quote Likes