Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 02-17-2007, 06:14 AM   #1  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Pro's and Long time Demo's Advice Help Needed, Please.

QUESTION FOR LONG TIME DEMO'S AND PRO'S ONLY, PLEASE. (sorry about it being so long)

Hi everyone! I just have worked for the past serveral months on getting set up to do a little business -- filed my forms with gov. to get my name and official number, submitted my work to a SU official person, got approved that my work was of quality to sell my items (I uses a lot of SU stamps on them), so I got the little stamp that I put on all of my work created for resale giving credit to SU (and so that I would be "protected" by their Angel policy), got my tax number and liscense from the gov. for my little sideline bussiness! I'm so excited.

What started it all was that I was contacted by someone whom had seen my work and asked me to do a wedding "keepsake" treasure for her (I don't know this person personally, she just saw something I had done for someone else). Then more people followed, requesting the same thing. I'm really very excited and want this to "take off". I think by getting all the proper approval prior and gettting set up with the Government for my own little "name" that I have protected myself from "copy cats"????

Problem, I have an "acquaintance" (until the last few months called them a close "friend") whom, I as I have come up with serveral ideas over the past year to get started selling my little "ideas" to set me up a little business (I live on SS income and really need the money). Previously I did not prior get my SU approval and Gov approval. I would tell her my idea, then next thing I knew - she was calling me and telling me she had made "such and such" (same thing I had told her about -stolen my idea) and taken them around selling them. I am told by some people this person tried to sell something to that no one bought anything because they didn't like her workmanship quality. But then that "killed" my uniqueness of the idea I had had?????? In other words, my work was being copied and stolen ---- I feel. I hurt my feelings badly that they would do this to me, but trying to be nice I said nothing.

Point: Now that I have been "officially" approved for my items, gotten the proper government paperwork, I feel that any items I create for the purpose of resale should not be photocopied or copied in any other form unless they bear my stamp giving credit to SU (it does contain SU images) and also has my name on it, giving me credit. I have spoken at length with my demo for advise on how to go about doing this and I feel that I have done all of the "proper" things that I am supposed to in order to start my little "business". My little business is called "Life's little Treasures". I make and sell "keepsake books and boxes" for occasions that people would like to have special keepsakes of, in addition I do invitations for special occasions (most called for items is Wedding invitations - I'm working on an order of 300+ this week). This "acquaintance" came over yesterday (prepared even with her camera!) and photocopied my work. She said she was doing one of the same thing for a "family" member as a gift and wanted to show her some photos. I'm a little "slow" sometimes and it did not "hit" me until after she left that I had not stamped the items she photographed with my stamp. I called and asked her for the photo back so that I could "just black out the faces and names and stamp them, indicating I had done them", then she could have them back. She came over with the photo's and ---- threw them at me. Now that they bear my stamp she does not want them!!!!! ----- Kicker, she has now recently become a SU Demo.

I feel that I am correct in requesting that no copies of my work that I make for purposes of sale should be made unless they bear "my little stamp" which gives credit to me and SU. My demo, whom had been a demo for MANY years and I feel is quite knowledgeable and well know for her work and whom opinion I value highly, says I was correct in asking for the photos back.

Could some of you Pro's and long time established Demos PLEASE give me some advice on how to handle this person (an others like situaltions) whom, what they really want is a copy without my stamp so that it can be "passed off" as their work. I feel that now that I have filed all the "Proper Government Forms", gotten my businness name, gotten approval from SU. that anything for resale bear my stamp!!!!! Am I being too rude? or "unfriendly". She has really gotten me upset and made me feel like a "heel". Please, please give me some advise. Thank you for anything you offer.

Dream like you will live forever......Live like you will be gone tomorrow."

Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-17-2007, 06:57 AM   #2  
Rubber Obsessor

Question "Bump" - Need DEMO's Help PLEASE Read

Friendly "bump", I really Need Help, DEMOS AND PROS Please read, Please.....

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-17-2007, 07:17 AM   #3  
Mad Swapper

You need to put the copyright symbol, the year of creation and your info on your things. That is copyright infringement. They are you creations and they are legally protected. In fact, you don't even have to fill out any gov forms to do it or pay any fees. You can, but you don't have to. If you start clearly marking them, then it becomes obvious to the other person they are breaking a law. And you have every right to say that your things are copyrighted. I can't believe someone does that and even let's you know!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-17-2007, 07:32 AM   #4  
SCS Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I guess I matrying to understand-is she using your pics in order to advertise her things folks are paying her to do-or is she using your ideas for inspiration and then makimg her own version.

If she is using your pics as a representation of your work-I agree that is wrong. Not sure what your recourse woud be legally.

If she is using what you make and then making her own version of it-not sure (other than it totally being irritating to you-which I understand) what recourse if any you would have. I can come up with a card or project, and somebody can copy my idea and sell it with no problems. I do not "own" the idea. I see things in the gallery and in magazines and I copy them and make them myself-I have even seen things in craft shows that I have noticed and tried to recreate at home with supplies I have.

i would personally just not let her know of any work you are doing. Don't let her come over and pick your brain or see your creations.
I hope it goes well for you.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-17-2007, 07:51 AM   #5  
Rubber Obsessor

Arrow Pro's and Long time Demo's advise needed.....

Thank you both so much for your help.

In answer to the question of what she was going to do, I think she had every intention of "passing the work" off as her own creation (which she has done with some of my things in the past) that was what bothered me. I know that people will copy some of my ideas, that is o.k, it is even a little flattering. But to take my work and try to pass it as their own.........NO! Now that I have put my stamp (with my name and SU permission) on the pictures she does not want them.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-17-2007, 07:55 AM   #6  
Mad Swapper

I would not let her take any pictures of your creations and yes you do have every right to have your stamp on their saying that it was your creation. don't let people like this question yourself. You are right and you have a right to protect your art work.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-17-2007, 08:10 AM   #7  
SCS Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by jodieg3
Thank you both so much for your help.

In answer to the question of what she was going to do, I think she had every intention of "passing the work" off as her own creation (which she has done with some of my things in the past) that was what bothered me. I know that people will copy some of my ideas, that is o.k, it is even a little flattering. But to take my work and try to pass it as their own.........NO! Now that I have put my stamp (with my name and SU permission) on the pictures she does not want them.
wow-she has some big ones!!!

Steering clear of her seems your best bet. Or you oculd always make some really ugly ones and let her use those to try and get business, LOL;)

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-17-2007, 09:12 AM   #8  
Rubber Obsessor

Red face Pro's and Long time Demo's advise needed.....

Thanks, I really like that one! I think I'll get right to work and make the ugliest thing I can think of..........great idea!

Thanks a lot, it really makes me feel better now to know that I did do the proper thing. It just really hurt my feelings that they would do that to me. Thanks to you both for all your suggestions and help, I will put to use all of your good advice.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-17-2007, 09:44 AM   #9  
Die Cut Diva

REALLY? She came into YOUR home with a camera to photograph your work so she could steal the ideas to pass off as her own. WOW! :confused: I know you're not making it up, but it amazes me that a "friend" would do this. Don't let her back in the house is all I can say. If she asks what you're working on, tell her "nothing special" or "I'm between projects right now". Keep a white sheet handy to cover your workspace & projects if she drops by unannounced & uninvited. She really is treating you like you have "Welcome" stamped on your forehead. Absolutely do NOT let her come into your home with a camera again. And make sure all of your work is stamped, dated & signed. Good luck in dealing with this mooch!

My itty bitty gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-17-2007, 10:27 AM   #10  
Stazon Splitcoast

I have to agree that your only real option is to prevent her from seeing and/or photographing your projects in the first place. There's not much you can do if she recreates something from memory, but you can certainly stop her from taking the pictures!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-17-2007, 07:47 PM   #11  
Glitter Queen

You cant change what she has already done but you can prevent what she will do in the future as far as you and your business are concerned. Why dont you put your things away when she is coming over? if she is coming over uninvited - dont open the door until they are covered or put away out of sight. You know she is going to copy you and you know you dont like it so why are YOU letting her? When she asks just give her the same pattened answer - Oh, I havent done much of anything new lately. And if you are worried about the friendship... it doesnt sound like there is much of one to begin with.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-17-2007, 08:23 PM   #12  
Kookie Creator

Cool Friend?

Somehow, I don't think she will be much of a problem in the future. Since she threw the pictures back at you, she knew she was doing the wrong thing for the wrong reasons. I HOPE she will be too embarrassed to come back again. If you will miss having her as a friend, of course, it is blessed to forgive, but you don't need to forget that she's a user, so protect yourself.
(borrowed from the quirkey card sayings thread).

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-18-2007, 12:19 AM   #13  
Rubber Obsessor

Default Pro's and Long time Demo's advise - I AM MOST GRATEFUL TO YOU All!

Thank all of you for your excellent advice. I am hoping this has put an end to her belief that we are "buddies" or something like that --- I've been trying over the past 3-4 months to sort of let her quietly "fade out" from my life anyway (you know, stuff like not answering her calls and pretending I'm not home) but maybe this time she has gotten the message and will leave me alone. I think I will print this thread out so that I can refer to all of the great advice I received. I am feeling much better about the situation now and feel that I did what was not only proper, but both ethically and morally the correct thing to do. Oh, yes, I have forgiven her --- but I have not forgotten that I was just a "pawn" to be used. I just recently purchased some new knitting thread (love the color, various browns and turquoise) so if she calls I will just let her know I've decided "Oh, I have lost interest in paper crafting and have taken up knitting"!!!!!! Then I can bore her to death with all my cast on, chain, knit and pearl stitches (she doesn't know how to knit......and I won't be teaching her!!!!!!!!!) Although, I think I will be careful with this too..........I sew a lot and my sewing machine went out about 3-4 months ago so I bought a new one............She DOESN'T sew and guess what------went out and bought a sewing machine just like mine ????--- then when I didn't make any attempt at helping her ---- never took it out of the box. It was still sitting in the box last time she called and asked if I could come over at her house to help her with something (don't remember what it was), but that has been some time ago -- I don't go over anymore.

Oh, I really will continue my paper crafting ---- I couldn't give up my "rubber stamps" I'm too addicted!!!

Oh well, I guess we all have to just "live and learn", and I most certainly have learned a lesson!!!!

Thanks again to all of you. SCS is a great group!!! I admire all of you for your honesty, decency and respect in the way that all of you demos here conduct yourself in what I consider to be both a morally correct and ethical manner. THANKS!

Well I guess it's off to start to see if I remember how to knit (been need'n a scarf anyway, It's really been cold here this winter) I'll just keep it handy, like right by the door so that I can quickly pick it up and start to knit!

Seriously, you "gals" have been a great inspiration and "pick me up" that I really needed. Now I can get back to my "Invites" I've got to get finished (300 are due to be picked up Tues. morning).

THANKS, THANKS, THANKS.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-18-2007, 12:59 AM   #14  
Rubber Obsessor

Smile PS to Pro's and Demos Advice.......

I don't mind at all sharing my ideas with someone for inspiration or even if they "case" it, I have lots of cards posted in my gallery.....although I haven't posted anything in a long while, but just because I have been busy......most of them are earlier cards I made to learn new techniques and aren't very good though. The only ones in my gallery that I really like are "Cinderella" (she was painted with a fine tip brush dipped in the ink pad) I gave her to "my little princess" grandaughter (her picture is my icon) and she keeps the card beside her bed in the nightstand drawer, then every night takes her out and sits her up when she goes to bed........this one is so special to me! The only other one I really like is the one using Country Window and Nature's Christmas......I gave this one to my dear Mother-in-law and it is proudly on display on a stand in her bedroom. This is why making cards is so special to me.......I don't mind if someone wants to use my idea, I hope that they can be an inspiration to someone......(just don't take the one that Iactually hand crafted myself.....and pass it off as their own, look at it and make one like it)! After all, that's why I posted them......in hopes they would inspire someone. I know that I have gotten many, many inspirations from the gallery and made one myself. (But if it was one I "cased exactly" in the gallery, then I would not sell it because it was not my original idea).

Thanks, again and if anyone gets a chance check out those two cards, they are really my fav's that I have done in the past.

TFYH
J

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-18-2007, 03:25 AM   #15  
Polyshrink Goddess

I had to laugh as I read the part about her running out to get a sewing machine just because you did. I used to have a "friend" that was that way. If I said I was looking for such and such antique, guess who always found one before me? Or, when we built an actual handcrank well above where our well, next thing I know, they have one. So, I took a lesson from my mom who once had a "friend" like this....I would tell her the wildest (ugliest) things I wanted and wait for her to go spend her money on them. Then when she'd show me, I'd tell her I changed my mind and decided I didn't need whatever it was. Probably not funny to some people, but, to have a friend that had to one-up you all the time was very hurtful. I pulled away from the friendship and now we're just passing "hello" friends.
I'd be sure to cover any work if this gal has the nerve to show up unannouced again. But, by the sounds of it, you may not be hearing from her again, since you'll be of no use to her by not allowing her to copy your work. So sorry to hear this was happening to you.

Suz
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-18-2007, 05:02 AM   #16  
Polyshrink Goddess

Lot's of good advice here, and don't know if I can add anything just feel compelled to speak. I spent what seems like a life time with people like this and would not speak just try and out manover kinda thing. Well, something happened to me when I turned 50, life is way to short for this S***! Say it and say it loud. You ain't time in this life for this woman or any other person to treat you like that. She knows full well what she is doing and it is wrong. Tell her so. And if she doesn't get it or is upset by it SO BE IT!!!! I try not to be ugly about it, but I can't have people burnin up my life minutes. I wish you all the success in the world with your business, and know it will be great for you.
M
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-19-2007, 09:46 AM   #17  
Rubber Obsessor

I totally feel for you and heartily agree that this person is someone that needs to be cut out of your life. We've all had those people in our lives who are competitive and toxic, and it's such a waste of time and energy dealing with them. You have no obligation to share any part of your life with her, particularly if she has such disregard for your business. There is a difference between being inspired and casing something for small scale personal use, and blatantly stealing your ideas/work and attempting to profit from it. Good luck to you in your business!
Reply With Quote Likes